Start by marking “When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies: Freeing Yourself from Food and Weight Obsession” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
"Will empower all women to stop believing that our bodies are the problems, dieting the solution."

--Harriet Lerner, Ph.D.

Author of The Dance of Anger

In this revolutionary new book, bestselling authors Carol Munter and Jane Hirschmann explore the myriad reasons why women cling to diets despite overwhelming evidence that diets don't work. In fact, diets turn us into compuls
Published December 30th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies

Apr 08, 2009 rated it liked it
If you have ever looked at your body in the mirror and said yuck, this is a book for you.
Hirschmann argues that the loathing of fat is a by-product of our anti-female, misogynist culture. She points out that until women got the vote our naturally rounded and padded figures were accepted as the norm. Women turned their collective rage about being second-class citizens inward and began to loathe their feminine bodies. Thus, the flat-chested, boy-like figures that came into vogue in the 1920's.
Sh
Marie
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i randomly came across this gem of a book at bluestockings bookstore in the lower east side, and had actually bought for a friend of mine to read during the holidays. but after skimming through the intro and first chapter, i realized this is a book that *everyone* should really have on their shelf, no matter where you stand on the body/self-esteem spectrum. what i like about the book is that it offers a glimpse into the pervasive "bad body fever" which affects people of all sizes, shapes and age ...more
Leslie Gal
May 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book reads a bit like a how-to manual, so if you're just interested in reading analysis of how our culture/media treat women's bodies then I would recommend Bitchfest, Carolyn Knapp's Appetites, or the Beauty Myth. If you want to learn steps to stop emotional eating or to adore your body at any size, then you'll really like this. That being said, this book definitely incorporates a heavy dose of feminism and cultural critique. I personally think any woman could benefit from reading this boo ...more
Amanda
May 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book had a very strong "fat is a feminist issue" slant to it that got tiresome very quickly. I also felt like this book did not address the health issues that come with being overweight. Accepting yourself at any size is all well and good except when you're having serious health problems affecting quality of life. I've read and liked many other "No Diet Diet Books" better than this one.
Katie
Feb 17, 2009 marked it as to-read
I just read a really interesting blog post about how this book changed a girl's life. I really liked the ideas she highlighted. Although I feel like I'm in a really good spot now, it just seems like it has great ideologies for a life-long relationship with food and body perception--which, seriously, doesn't every girl need??
Vivian
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read this many years ago, when I finally decided to stop dieting and make peace with food and my body. It took longer than I thought to accomplish this, but this book definitely showed me the way. Every woman who obsesses about food or her body should read this book.
Julie
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A revolutionary book and one that I try diligently to live my life by.
Gayle Noble
I'm on the fence about this one. On the one hand, there is a lot of helpful practical advice for people who suffer with binge eating, and some of it I will definitely try. On the other hand, the authors talk a lot about weight and body issues being linked to childhood issues, but what about those of us who suffered issues as an adult? It's not as easy as teaching yourself that as an adult you can now set your own boundaries and limits, when you have had those boundaries trangressed as an adult. ...more
Kristina Reads -  Books. Blogs. Memes.
This is a book that's helped me a lot in resolving my issues with body image and eating, even if it did take me a long time to get through. A definite recommendation for people who want to get off the never-ending diet train.
Rachel
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Going back in for a more in-depth study of this one. Initial thoughts: while I don't agree with 100% of their methods, there is a lot here that bears considering. Will post an update once I've completed my second reading!
Laura Suess
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life.
Jodi
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women
Shelves: ed, non-fiction, selp-help
Picked this book up off the free shelf at the library and the title intrigued me. After all, what woman doesn't hate something about their body? I am 40 and can't say that I have ever met a woman who doesn't hate something or want to lose weight at some point. The authors had some good points about binging in that when we deny ourselves from a certain food we set ourselves up for failure when we encounter it because we'll binge on it because our body goes into "starvation mode" for it. They also ...more
Paula
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Below is a repeat of my review to Overcoming Overeating and the reason I did this is that while this was the second book on the subject, they both are about the same method:

I wish I could give this book MORE than 5 stars - I first read this book decades ago when it first came out and it "saved" my life - literally!

Man or woman, but especially if you are a woman and have food compulsions, shame about food, have used food to take care of yourself, this method is the ONLY one I know of that works.
Sarah-Mae Adam
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Munter and Hirschmann assert that we are "all born with perfectly adequate signals for hunger and satiation and that we can rediscover that inner knowledge of demand feeding, teaching us how to think about our problems rather than eat about them - so that food can resume its proper place in our lives.

"The fundamental tenet of this new thinking is that fat is not a moral violation nor is it a measure of intellect, popularity, sensitivity, leadership, or character. Your body size reflects your gen
Sabrina
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
There is much to say about this book. I will begin saying that I am glad I picked it up. There are some things or ideas in this book that I don't agree with 100% but I find that with all books. However, I found more helpful things in this book and I can overlook or adjust those things that I don't agree with to fit my situation and view.
Emma
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this book. I agree with a lot of what this book is putting across but it's far too full of misandry for my liking. It made it difficult for me to read and take anything positive from it. Luckily I already stopped hating my body!
Lauren
I was hoping for something else from this book. I was not looking for a feminist rant on how everything in my life is wrong because we live in a patriarchical society.

My interest level dwindled quickly.
Cassie
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women who want to improve self-esteem.
Recommended to Cassie by: Kathleen Kling
Shelves: nonfiction
Crazy like a fox.
Fatima
Oct 13, 2009 marked it as to-read
from Wellesley College
Marni
Mar 24, 2007 added it
This has been really helpful as I strive to find peace with my body...something I think we're always struggling with even when we think we're happy!
Cassidy
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Five stars for the feminist commentary regarding societies asinine expectations of female bodies. Three stars for the anti-diet plan, which was most of the book.
Stacey lorin
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever felt uncomfortable in their own skin
Again, I read this book often. Its fantastic.
Janet
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Debra
  • When Food Is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy
  • Bodies out of Bounds: Fatness and Transgression
  • Fat: The Anthropology of an Obsession
  • The Fat Studies Reader
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • Fat Shame: Stigma and the Fat Body in American Culture
  • The Broken Mirror: Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder
  • Hunger Pains: The Modern Woman's Tragic Quest for Thinness
  • The Four Day Win: End Your Diet War and Achieve Thinner Peace
  • Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food

Nonfiction Deals

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99