Start by marking “Hammer of God” as Want to Read:

Hammer of God

Aria Ligi is a unique voice in modern American poetry - blending history, headlines, astute observation and a vibrant imagination into a poetry both illuminating and elegant. This is poetry to be reckoned with on a great many levels.
Published February 5th 2019 by Poetic Justice Books & Arts

To ask other readers questions about Hammer of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hammer of God

Start your review of Hammer of God
Angela
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of this collection of poetry for an honest and frank review. All comments recorded here are solely my own.
I have always loved poetry and have spent many hours reading, learning and reciting the work of many and varied poets from Shakespeare and Spenser to more modern-day greats such as Sassoon, Owen, Auden, Plath, Hughes and many others. It was a great pleasure to be asked to review this particular collection.
As with any author new to me, I go straight to the writing. I want to
Will Mayo
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an eloquent yet at the same time raw to the touch read that starts off concerning a woman named Charlotte who suffers treachery and abuse in the name of family, in the name of God and then goes on to make its tale universal by touching upon the British royal family and all the money and care that they rob from the poor souls suffering in the alleyways of the British nation, talks about Lucrezia Borgia and her lustful yearning for her brother, talks, too, about the unpaid for murder of ...more
Stephen Page
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damage Repair

There are many topics covered in this exemplary collection of poems, “Hammer of God” by Aria Ligi—damage, pain, acceptance, healing, and moving on (but not necessarily in that order). There is a back and forth, a skipping around of steps in the healing processes, as there are in any PTSD recovery process. Each section in the collection has its own internal process order, and each section is in itself a process.

Mx. Ligi’s poems are laudable, her story- telling prophetic, her subject
Adam Levon
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review of, “Hammer of God “ by Aria Ligi

Ligi’s poems are reminiscent of Plath in their darkness, and Shelley in their craft.
The Victorian-like style embedded within each rhymed verse sings with dark beatitude .

The first breath upon opening up Ligi’s book, “Hammer of God” is the unmistakable
feeling of weightlessness, then moving into weighted collapse with the second poem.

From the first poem, “ Blackened at Birth”

“My existence came with a price,
Paid, and paid, and paid
The push here swift
Jeffrey S
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aria Ligi
Poetic Justice Books, 2018, 75 pages
Reviewed by Jeffrey Perso

A novelist, I read almost as much poetry as I do fiction. I find that poetry’s compression, clarity of language and strong imagery not only helps with the composition of prose sentences, it also helps clear my head, like drinking from a cool, clean stream. Lately, I have been clearing my head with the poems of Aria Ligi, particularly her impressive and well-received collection, Hammer of God.
In “Asphodel, That
Joseph Sale
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aria Ligi’s poetry collection, Hammer of God (which is in two parts, Hammer of God and Ballet in Poesy, when available from the publisher Poetic Justice, and one in one volume everywhere else) is a vivid and dazzling collection wrought with emotion, violence, profundity, and spirituality. Ligi draws on classical imagery and themes in her work, and reflects this in her rich vocabulary, yet the way she draws the characters and scenes she observes feels intensely modern.

Stylistically, the poetry
Russell Bittner
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Let me be honest right up front: I’m a formalist—always have been. Consequently, I have relatively little understanding of free or even blank verse.

Almost all of Aria Ligi’s collection in Hammer of God is either blank or free verse. There’s the occasional rhyming couplet, but those couplets are only occasional, with haphazard meter, and the majority of the rhymes are slant.

Moreover, much of the vocabulary and syntax simply escape me. At my stage in life, I certainly don’t mind having to look
Ashlie Allen
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hammer Of God is just what this generation of poets needed. Each verse in Aria Ligi's poems soak the soul with inspiration, delight and fascination. She refreshes us with her true poetic genius. Through her words, we get closer to ourselves and our own humanity. That is the true power of poet Aria Ligi; she knows how to penetrate your heart and leave an everlasting impact.
Throughout Hammer of God, we are exposed to a variety of emotions. We as readers are left longing for the next page and when
kathleen j spalding
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aria Ligi’s Hammer of God tackles difficult, raw topics and takes the reader through a gamut of emotion with skillfully composed visceral and sensual poetry. From the soul-breaking pain of betrayal (Hammer of God section) and loss (Missive Mourn) to the poignant Prime Mother and altogether cool Faery Fluting, the author combines literary prowess and passion with astute observations. Most impressive to this reader were Cookie Dough, with its insightful, “Yet we stand above, At the larder of life ...more
Happy Booker
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hammer of God is a collection of poems written with a classical theme. The work discusses religion, modern-day issues, and spiritual diversity.

A good poet, in my opinion, is one that can express their view and voice by writing poems. If they achieve this goal, then they have accomplished a great thing. In this book, the author portrays a rhythmic sound of divinity. The work is modern and contains mixed concepts such as history, violence, and spirituality.

I particularly enjoyed the poem titled ‘
Diane McPhail
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
As an author, poet, and therapist myself, I was fascinated with Ligi's peotic exploration of loss and healing in life. In these classically based poems--both in form and in reference--Ligi serves up without hesitation the issues of damage, trauma, transformation, and renewal, but in an unexpectedly random order, much as life itself serves it to us. Ligi is a master of classical form and understands well the trajectory by which classical themes have become so--because they tell the truth of life ...more
Erin Cataldi
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Each line is suffused with beauty and power and as a result Aria Ligi's poetry just begs to be read aloud. Her verse dances on the page and in the mind and while her subject may change, her eloquence does not. From beauty, desire, violence, anger, and hope; this collection has something to fulfill any reader's desire. Hammer of God is broken into sections in order to tell a story or theme. Classical themes, religion, modern day problems, and more are lovingly and scathingly illustrated in ...more
Michael King
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aria Ligi's Hammer of God illuminates readers with a contrast of brazen reality and refined poesy. With Hammer of God, she projects the brutality of life with complexity in rhyme combined with finesse in syntax. Aria's diction is accurate, decisive, and intriguing to further elevate an experience that is far more than virtual. She synergizes form and function to create luxuries of experience readers will adore in encounters with this current offering of literary ecstasy. Most of all, perhaps, ...more
Ian David Wall
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Aria Ligi’s 'Hammer of God', describing a journey from darkness to light, is a microcosm of the lives that we live, both our lives of thought, and our external relational lives.
Akin to a course of therapy, whereby a person, speaking of inner and outer troubles and angst, moves in a process towards a healthier place.

The communication here is poetic, there is an elegiac quality to many of the poems, the voice of the author lamenting, mournful of, her losses. She “painted only poesy” (Stockholm
Christopher
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hammer of God is a poetry that I would describe as "beautiful darkness." It is unique, classically written in a dark yet powerful tone and the words flowed nicely and streamed well. It's a bit mystical, and the lines had some mythological overtones, while reading very Sylvia Plath-like to a tee. The pictures relayed this vivid imagery with the stanzas coming alive. A great read and you will be moved by the outpouring of words and emotions conveyed by the words.
Mela Blust
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aria Ligi's Hammer of God is a fire burning inside the pages of a book. She possesses the unique talent of weaving formal and contemporary poetry into a fabric all her own.

Aria's voice is one of intrinsic confession, history's darkest sins laid bare, and the ugly stains those transgressions have left upon this world.

And yet there is beauty, and hope to be found - "But I await the light, and it will find me there."

Mela Blust, author of Skeleton Parade
LorLes Lifestyles
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aria's poetry challenges the reader to introspection. As with all great art, it elicits an emotional response. Often, the darkness is disturbing, but that is balanced by poems of promise.

Her craftsmanship captures so much in well-chosen words. Each word has wrestled with its right to be on the page and the whole is masterful.
Destiny Bridwell
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I like the illustrations that seperate the different sections of poetry in this book. I could pick out a lot of dark feeling and vivid emotions. The poet has a flare for description that evoke a lot in me. I enjoy the way some of the poems were titled.
Jim Botston
Sep 24, 2019
Scott Hastie
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"How exceptionally rare that it is that a writer, poet, or indeed artist of any sort has a depth of vision (often brutally hard won...) allied to the technical ability and the courage to lay themselves purposively so bare! And, in so doing, successfully rouse such passion and insight amongst us... Aria Ligi can count herself comfortably amongst that group of brave luminaries... Such unique, powerful and inspiring work that takes us to the oftens grisly, sometimes glorious core of what it is to ...more
Sam T. Frost

• Births, Marriages and Death
  • Shallow Creek
  • Dirty Deeds
  • Skeletons in My Closet
  • The Shadow of the Torturer (The Book of the New Sun, #1)
  • Passe-Partout
  • That Strapless Bra in Heaven
  • Ariel
  • Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats
  • Duncton Wood (Duncton Chronicles, #1)
  • Virtual Mode (Mode, #1)
  • Fractal Mode (Mode, #2)
  • Chaos Mode (Mode, #3)
  • Death of a Naturalist
  • The Western Passage: Exodus
  • Arid
Aria Ligi is an award-winning poet who has a great love for history and in particular the English Romantics. Her publications include, but are not limited to, The Scarlett Leaf Review, Z Publication’s New York’s Best Emerging Poets anthology, Light Journal, and the Australian Times. She has been a frequent guest on Progressive News Network’s Blog Talk Radio, and Aeon Byte. Currently, she and is ...more