Start by marking “Olive, Again” as Want to Read:
Olive, Again

Olive, Again

(Olive Kitteridge #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  54,232 ratings  ·  6,658 reviews
The iconic Olive struggles to understand not only herself and her own life but also the lives of those around her in the town of Crosby, Maine. Whether with a teenager coming to terms with the loss of her father, a young woman about to give birth during a hilariously inopportune moment, a nurse who confesses a secret high school crush, or a lawyer who struggles with an inh ...more
Published October 15th 2019 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Olive, Again, please sign up.
Ivy Wigmore I just finished Olive, Again and really wanted it never to end. I may just reread Olive Kitteridge purely for pleasure.
Julie Davis I read Olive Again without having read Olive Kitteredge and I really enjoyed the book. I don't believe it was essential to have read the first book an…moreI read Olive Again without having read Olive Kitteredge and I really enjoyed the book. I don't believe it was essential to have read the first book and I am, in fact, going to now read Olive Kitteredge.(less)

·  54,232 ratings  ·  6,658 reviews

Start your review of Olive, Again
Angela M
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Strout is such a keen observer of human nature, of our shared condition and she reminds us that life is full of a struggle of some kind for pretty much all of us. In Crosby, Maine you’ll find characters dealing with loneliness, infidelity, alcoholism, sickness, aging, death, regrets, so many regrets. Thankfully, there also is friendship and love and empathy that Olive Kittridge finds within herself to give, because the truths about life are dauntingly sad at times. More than once I sto ...more
Paromjit
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No-one can write like the incomparable Elizabeth Strout, her understanding of what it is to be human and penetrate the beating heart of what comprises a community has a universality that cannot fail to resonate with the reader, sometimes perhaps uncomfortably so in the truths it lays bare, such as the physically and emotionally taxing process of ageing. Olive returns, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but definitely mine, indomitable, outspoken, cantankerous, a larger than life presence in the li ...more
Elyse  Walters
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful emotional truthfulness - and unforgettable narrative:
Brilliant novel!!!!

Olive was aware of ludicrous behaviors- unspeakable things spoken - but what she did not understand is why she and her son, Christopher should walk into old age with a high and horrible wall between them.

Olive could be blunt, forthright, frank, and candid.
She had strong opinions- and judgements... she hated people who were late.. etc.
I happened to feel as strong as Olive did about a scene at a baby shower:
“A thi
Peter
Introspection
Olive, Again is a novel that is boldly observant, honest and searches for apperception. The story of the indomitable Olive Kitteridge follows on two years after her husband Henry’s death. Olive is a little more introspective on how she, as a person, her behaviour and relationships have evolved as she ages into her eighties, especially as she experiences loss and loneliness.

Two years after Henry’s death, Olive starts a relationship with Jack Kennison, which is touching and meaningfu
Irena BookDustMagic
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Edit: After receiving backlash for my subjective opinion on this novel, I don't even bother to reply to your negative comments, and I report and delete all the comments from fake accounts.

Once again I didn’t do my homework, and went into Olive, Again without knowing it was a sequel to already published book called Olive Kitteridge.
Nevertheless, this book can be read on it’s own.
However, if I read it’s predecessor, I would just skip this one for sure.

I’m not saying this is a bad book, because, ju
Will Byrnes
“When you get old, you become invisible. It’s just the truth. And yet it’s freeing in a way…You go through life and you think you are something. Not in a good way, and not in a bad way. But you think you are something, and then you see that you are no longer anything. To a waitress with a huge hind end you’ve become invisible, And it’s freeing.”
Sometimes people come into your life at just the right time. People you have known turn up, unexpected, and you re-engage, begin again. It was like
Liz
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up

Elizabeth Strout is just a fabulous writer. Her ability to weave together a diverse group of characters always fascinates me. Her books are a blend between short stories and a novel. While I’m not a fan of short stories, her books always work for me, the way each chapter links to the next in its own weird way.

Olive, Again returns us to Crosby, Maine. Olive and her cronies are now in their 70s and looking back on their lives as much as forward. I felt an alliance with Olive.
Debbie
In a knot, in a knot!

Scrunching, twisting, sighing instead of hopping on my pogo stick. It just didn’t do me like the last one did (sung in a bluesy voice). Oh, this book is good, very good, a 4-star read in fact, and it’s sitting on my 2019 Runners Up shelf as nice and happy as it can be. So it’s nuts to sound so disappointed. It’s just that the magic wasn’t there like it was in Olive Kitteridge, the moments when the words and the sentences dance in my head and turn me into a crazed pogo-sticke
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four impeccably intercepted sad, depressing, self-discovery stories circled around a memorable literature character stars!

Our one of the grumpiest, most straightforward, sullen, cantankerous, grouchiest characters of fictional world is back! ( Frances McDormand did an amazing job to help me visualize this woman, nobody can be better Olive than her!) And its back with amazing, sad, heart-wrenching Crosby stories (some of them, she only makes small cameos, cursing at a painting as she is passing t
Julie
I'm not sure if Elizabeth Strout ever has need of a bodyguard, and, if she does, I'm sure she wouldn't choose a short brunette female in her 40s, but, if she ever needs someone to protect her life, I would like to offer myself up as the best candidate. . .

. . . because I'm savage, positively savage about protecting this woman's writing career.

It's not that I demand that you, or anyone, like this novel. You have every right to like or dislike this book (and, please, please, can we always remembe
Jaline
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Olive Kitteridge. One-time Math teacher. Wife. Mother. Grand-mother. We have met her before during various stages of her life, and in this novel, we are witness to her outspokenness and the force of her personality in the late autumn years of her life and on into the winter years.

The people of Crosby, Maine figure largely in this novel just as they did in the first. Many of these people we have also met before, and some are ones that come into Olive’s orbit through changes in their own circumsta
Diane S ☔
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lor-2019
An older and wiser, Olive?. Yes, somewhat but she is still outspoken, firm in her likes and dislikes, but more tactful and empathetic. Looking back she admits to mistakes she has made. Linked episodes, that is the description i would use describing this book. The people of Crosby, Maine, like all towns, are going through their individual crises and Olive flute in and out through their lives, sometimes with just a glancing blow. Some episodes are all Olive, catching us up on her life since her la ...more
Karen
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Olive... I just LOVE her!! She is the same Olive, frank..poking around in the lives of her fellow townsfolk of Crosby, Maine.
There was a lot of humor in her interactions (seriously funny, laugh out loud funny) but there was a lot of sadness in these stories too, as it deals with aging and loneliness.
You should definitely read this! Loved it!

Thank you to Netgalley and Random House for this ARC!
Debra
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Olive, Olive, Olive...what can I say, she is quite the character (as are most of the characters in this book.)

I think it is essential to read the first book in this series ( Olive Kitteridge )to fully appreciate this book. As with the first book, this book is told through not only Olive's story but various people who live in Crosby, Maine and have some form of interaction with Olive.

Olive is perceived by those in her community as being odd. She's a tough old broad who speaks her mind, can often
Cheri
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

Olive has not changed much since I last spent time in her company, she is still the same opinionated, domineering, judgmental, interfering and needy woman, but time has passed. Time without her husband, Henry, whose quiet, gentle ways and willingness to see the good in people no longer softened the bitterness in their home since his passing, but it is also only in his death that she seems to begin to recognize the value of his ways in her life.

As in Olive Kitteridge, the cha
JanB
For those who loved Olive Kitteridge, as I did, have no fear. Olive is still Olive. And for those who have loved Strout’s previous books, a few characters make an appearance in this one. Olive is still the crusty, prickly, and judgmental woman who says what she thinks. But, she’s mellowing. Perhaps it’s the indignities of aging, or the fact that at her age the losses mount up quickly, but Olive takes a long hard look at herself and doesn’t always like what she sees.

As Olive deals with the harsh
Anne Bogel
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic, even better than the original Olive. Strout's talent lies in imbuing everyday moments with deep significance, and she shines in this collection.

I recommend reading these in order. I read Olive Kitteredge and Olive, Again nearly back-to-back, which made for a wonderful reading experience.
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Olive Kitteridge is a difficult woman, formidable and even harsh at times.  One who says what she thinks and lets the chips fall where they may.  It would be fair to say she is not universally liked, referred to by some as "that old bag".  The indignities of aging are front and center.  In her 80's now, Olive reflects on the effect of bad memories that follow you through life, profound loneliness, becoming invisible.  These interwoven storie
Carol
"Olive thinks everything is crap."......or does she.

Elizabeth Strout is back and so is the memorable curmudgeon Olive Kitteridge. Somewhat older now and heavier, but she's still formidable with her forthright personality and smart-mouth tell it like it is comments that seem to explode out of her.

Everyone in Crosby, Maine whether visitor or resident seem to have a truckload of major problems in their life, and they all seem to know or are connected to Olive in one way or another.

The format of

Phrynne
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2019
I opened this book, read the first page, and immediately felt that wave of comfort that comes from being in the hands of a really skilled and talented writer. Must admit too that I loved Olive Kitteridge and I was delighted to be back with Olive again.

Like the first book, Olive, Again is a series of loosely linked short stories, set in and around Olive's home town and Olive herself. Happily lots of pages are allocated to Olive's own story as she navigates a second marriage, her unfortunate relat
Tammy
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Crotchety, stubborn, judgmental and ultimately empathetic to others…Olive, I have missed you. Just like Olive, herself, these interlinked stories are surprising, unsettling, humorous, and very human. The struggles with loss, loneliness, remorse, and sorrow are matters which none of us may escape. Welcome back, Olive.
Peter Boyle
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-reads-2019
Elizabeth Strout has done it again. In this sequel to the Pulitzer Prize winning Olive Kitteridge, her extraordinary powers of insight and empathy are once more on full display. Strout writes about the everyday concerns of ordinary people, and she does it better than any other author I've read.

Lots of folk in Crosby, Maine don't care much for Olive Kitteridge. To many, she was their grumpy, abrupt math teacher, and when they spot her in the supermarket, they duck behind a different aisle. Howeve
Christine
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars (more if I had them)!

This is my “Best Book of 2020” so far, and that’s saying a lot as I have been very choosy about my books this year. I liked it even better than its award-winning predecessor, Olive Kitteridge, which was a very-easy-to-rate 5 stars winner for me.

Olive, Olive, Olive. I’m going to miss you so much, Olive. When I first started reading about Olive in Olive Kitteridge, I didn’t like her so much, but after getting to know her, I began to like her a lot. In fact, I ended up
Marialyce
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is going to go into a new file I am calling, "I wish I had liked it more." While it certainly had its many pluses as the irascible Olive was back in rare form, it also had a number of puzzling occurrences and a chapter that had me scratching my head wondering why.

Olive is getting older or as we who are in the same boat like to say, becoming more mature. She still goes about, saying "Oliveisms" and ticking off a few people, including family, but she has developed a new inner perspectiv
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Olive again is who she is and still not afraid to say it like it is, however she mellower, a little less difficult and ornery here in this story. I cried less in this one and loved her even more as we can see her grow and come to terms with ageing and her truths.

Elizabeth Strout doesn't miss a beat here and picks up after Olive Kitteridge and she explores loneliness through ageing and regrets. She takes that hope of doing better from Olive I felt in the first book and we see Olive reflecting on
PattyMacDotComma
“He [her doctor] sat down on the bed and took her hand. He said she was doing very well, that she could go home in a few days.

‘I’m an eighty-three-year-old woman,’ she said, looking at him. His eyes behind his thick glasses looked back at her.

And he shrugged and said, ‘In my world, that’s a baby.’

Olive, again and again and again in Crosby, Maine. I never tire of the stories about her or in which she makes only a brief appearance. There are thirteen stories in this second half of Olive’s life,
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
I know that I am the outlier on my feelings for this book but let me explain that 3 stars from me means that it was a good book but not a great book FOR ME.

Olive Kitteridge was also a 3 star for me, I found that I just didn’t like this character even though many seem to love her. I watched the HBO series to reacquaint myself with her and how the first book ended. I loved the series by the way, and it ended on such a hopeful note.

As in the first book this is written in a series of short stories,
Susanne  Strong
Oh Olive. You do beat all.

Cantankerous, quirky, difficult, Olive. Somehow you have managed to win me over.

Perhaps that is because I watched the HBO Mini-Series “Olive Kitteridge” with the estimable Frances McDormand and I saw a new side to Olive. I do, after all, adore Frances McDormand! Or perhaps it is because, in “Olive, Again,” Olive Kitteridge has grown as a person. Throughout the trials and tribulations of her life, she has become more aware of herself and the impact she has on others.
Esil
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A high 4 star!

Who is Olive Kitteridge? She seems to pop up everywhere and have thoughts on everyone's business. This is what happens when you teach grade 7 in a small town. You end up knowing something about pretty much everyone. And if you're Olive, you have pretty strong opinions about them too.

This is a reflection on how Strout structured this book and her previous Olive Kitteridge book. These linked short stories alternate their focus from Olive to other people in Olive's periphery. The sto
Paige
The main character, Olive, picks up shortly after where she left off in the previous novel, Olive Kitteridge. While this is the second novel in the series, it can easily be read as a standalone because she recaps the main events that happened in the first novel. However, I recommend reading the first novel in order to appreciate some of the returning characters.

Life’s transitions, juxtapositions, and troubles are celebrated through Olive and the other characters. I found the last half of the no
Play Book Tag: {Poll Ballot} Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout- 4 stars 4 11 Sep 09, 2020 08:09AM
Play Book Tag: Olive, Again / Elizabeth Strout - 4**** 2 13 Aug 06, 2020 12:50PM
TCAG Book Club: Elizabeth Strout Interview 2 10 May 18, 2020 04:35PM

• Ask Again, Yes
  • The Most Fun We Ever Had
  • The Vanishing Half
  • This Tender Land
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • The Glass Hotel
  • The World That We Knew
Elizabeth Strout is the author of several novels, including: Abide with Me, a national bestseller and BookSense pick, and Amy and Isabelle, which won the Los Angeles Times Art Seidenbaum Award for First Fiction and the Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize, and was a finalist for the PEN/Faulkner Award and the Orange Prize in England. In 2009 she was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for her book Olive Kitteri ...more

Olive Kitteridge (2 books)
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)

Articles featuring this book

“I think our job--maybe even our 'duty'--is to--To bear the burden of the mystery with as much grace as we can.” 23 likes
“Because in February the days were really getting longer and you could see it, if you really looked. You could see how at the end of each day the world seemed cracked open and the extra light made its way across the stark trees, and promised. It promised, that light, and what a thing that was.” 10 likes