Start by marking “The Timepiece” as Want to Read:
The Timepiece

The Timepiece

As the only daughter, Sylvia Miller of The Tinderbox has always held a special place in her Old Order family, one Adeline Pelham jeopardizes when she shows up at the Millers' Hickory Hollow farm. It isn't that Adeline means to be a threat, but her very existence is a reminder of the painful secret that has so recently upended the Miller household. And with Sylvia and her mother still ...more
Published September 17th 2019 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Timepiece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Timepiece

Start your review of The Timepiece
Shirley Chapel
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish-fiction
New York Times Best Selling Author Beverly Lewis pens an excellent sequel to The Tinderbox. Just coming off a six week ban for hiding the fact, from the Amish Church , that he was a divorced man, Earnest Miller is shocked to learn he has a daughter from his first marriage.
In The Timepiece Lewis wasted no time picking up from where she left off in The Tinder Box. We find Rhoda and Earnest inviting Adeline into their home and introducing her to their family. Trying to make her feel welcome they a
Bernice Izzo
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is the typical Amish book which I love to read. Their faith and life just interest me. This one ended a lot happier than the first one.
Louise Leonard
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good but wraps up way too fast at the end. It could have been longer. But then, I never want Mrs. Lewis' books to end. ❤
Victoria Goodbrand
Lovvvved this sequel!
also, any author Amish author would have made this cheesy and ridiculous but Beverly Lewis did it sooo well !!
Sylvia
I loved this book!! Great story!!
Mayda
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel continues the story Ernest the clockmaker and his family that began in “The Tinderbox.” They now learn about Ernest’s English daughter, Adeline, who is a surprise to them. But Adeline is welcomed and embraced by all of them, and true affection is evident with them all. However, others, namely Sylvia’s fiancé and his family, are not so accepting. In this well-written tale, several thought-provoking themes are explored. Sylvia must decide if her love for her English sister overrides wha ...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been asked before why I, a reader who most loves suspense novels, enjoy reviewing Amish-themed novels from Beverly Lewis. It is true that the pace of "The Timepiece" often reflects the slower life of the Amish, unhurried by the demands of modern living, content to take time to ponder the deeper things of life. But there is something about the Amish people that I am just drawn to over and over again, the beauty in the simplicity of how they live, the way that they are so interconnected and ...more
June Jacobs
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another enjoyable story by one of my favorite Amish fiction authors.

I found the main character in this story, Sylvia 'Sylvie' Miller, to be very likable because she was willing to admit when she made a bad decision and then went on to learn and grow from the experience. The surrounding characters, sub-plots, and setting are well-developed, too.

Highly-recommended!

I borrowed this book from the local public library.

----------------------------
Jennie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sequel to The Tenderbox and I throughly enjoyed reading the conclusion to the first book. In the first book, Earnest confesses to his family that he was once English and married briefly before becoming Amish. This causes a great deal of gossip and Earnest is put under the bann for six weeks. In this book things are getting back to normal when another surprise hits the family. I loved all the characters especially Sylvia who finds her engagement to Titus less than she expected.cant wait ...more
Ann Green
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Timepiece is a spellbinding mix of history and present day as we learn the story of an Amish father who is suddenly connected with his English daughter. Turns out, he had a life no one knew about when he was English but that relationship ended and he sought the peace and solitude that became his new Amish life. Married to Rhoda now with a large family, Earnest is stunned by this turn of events but quickly rallies. Adeline is welcomed warmly into her Amish family and becomes close with Sylvie ...more
D.J.
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

What a wonderful story of love and forgiveness!

When Adeline Pelham shows up looking for her father, who happens to be Amish, he and his family welcome her into their home — and their lives, even though it brings many challenges for them. I can certainly understand this… an English girl, her Amish father, who obviously had a girlfriend or wife before he joined an Amish community, married his current wife and had a family.

Beverly Lewis does an amazing job showing the proble
Kathy
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book takes the reader through the journey of Slyvie Miller as she adjusts to life with an englisher sister and in the process learns more about love and forgiveness. I felt drawn in to the story and was happy to read how it turned out.
C Davis
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the second book of this series, but I did feel it was a little slow. It was good to see how the series ended and how things worked out for Sylvia and her family.
Hannah
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m expanding my horizons this year and reading Amish fiction by different authors, but there’s just nothing like a Beverly Lewis book.
ANNETTE
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well Done!! I loved the characters and the beautiful storyline. Loved the "Forgiveness and Love ' part the best.
Edward Arrington
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the previous story, it seemed the Miller family had weathered the storm and come out stronger. However, like real life, one storm is often preparing us for the next storm. The next storm was just starting as the story ended. One of my favorite characters throughout the Hickory Hollow books has been Ella Mae Zook, known as the Wise Woman. She was up in years but her mind was still sharp as a tack and she was able to communicate with the women in the community in a way that led them to find the ...more
Pam Pavkov
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Timepiece is the second incredible book written by Beverly Lewis in her latest two book series. The author has done a remarkable job telling her story in addition to closing out this series. The story jumps right into where the first book left off and she spends time to catch the reader back up on what has taken place.

The characters are so realistic and the author makes you feel like you have a relationship with them. Sylvia has always held the position of the only daughter in he
Marilyn
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beverly Lewis penned a beautiful story with The Timepiece, the conclusion to The Tinderbox story. This tale is one of acceptance, forgiveness, and new beginnings. The Miller family welcome of the young Adeline Pelham into their home when she arrived in Hickory Hollow might have been a rough in the beginning but time is a healer as well as acceptance, prayers and openness. As the past came out how Adeline wanted to meet her biological father, Earnest Miller, not only a bond forms but the Miller f ...more
Leslie M.
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it

This is the sequel to The Tinderbox, but it could be read and enjoyed as a standalone. I'd suggest reading them in order to gain a greater appreciation for the characters. The book has strong themes of family and faith, as is typical in Lewis's books. Topics addressed in this series is a bit different from the author's other stories, and I love the way the Englisch characters are blended in with the Amish ones. I enjoyed the story, which had strong character development and vivid imagery, and
Mandyq
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always!

Beverley Lewis is still The Queen of all Plain Fiction. I fell in love with her writing by chance whilst scrabbling through a supermarket discount trolley! And I became well and truly hooked.
All her characters are much loved by me. Due to illness I'm home mostly all the time so I've become abnormally attached to them, almost like they're friends I've not yet met.
By drawing me closer to what really matters in life, her writing is dynamic.
This is an unusual review but I'm
Carol Allen
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Timepiece, by Beverly Lewis, is a wonderful re-visit to Sylvia Miller and her family as they are
introduced to their half-sister, Adeline, an Englisher.

This is a wonderful story of forgiveness between family members, community and friends.

We are shown in this story that all of our beliefs about family and friends might not always be as they seem.
Sometimes the ones we believe in are not worthy of our trust.

We learn that God can use all things, good and bad,
Kristen
I had previously read and reviewing the first book in this two book series by Beverly Lewis when it first came out. I had forgotten when The Timepiece was to be released but was very happy to see it sitting on the new releases shelf at our library.

Reading The Timepiece was quite easy and a joy. It didn't take long to jump back into the tale of the Millers. It was very nice to see how Earnest's daughter from his first marriage found a place within their family and also found a closer relationshi
Brenda
No longer my thing

I used to love the books by Beverly Lewis, but hadn't picked one up in awhile. I was eager to jump back in with this one,

Unfortunately, either I have changed or the author has, because I was disappointed in this book. The writing was clunky, the pace was slow for the first 2/3 of the book and then suddenly it all wrapped up fast and months passed by in a single paragraph.

At one point I found myself wondering "why is This sentence even in the book - it adds noth
Debbie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Earnest Millers family has been through a hardship. Sylvia is truly a amazing young woman. When Titus starts acting different about her family she knows she has to do something. When Adeline shows up at the vegetable stand the Miller families life’s will change again. Beverly Lewis is a amazing Christian author. Her books are all truly inspirational. I would give this book a higher rating than a five star review if I could.
Donna
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Family

I loved the forgiveness and dedication to family that "The Timepiece" brought out in this story. It didn't matter how bad the problem that came out about Earnest former life the family did not abandon him, this book showed a real life family with problems that they worked through together and that is the way it should be. I loved this book and would recommend it to e everyone.
Melinda Staley
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again Beverly Lewis has made a home run with her latest release, The Timepiece. We are taken back to Hickory Hollow to continue the story of Silvia and Adeline (and Ernest and the rest of the family!).
The sisters continue to draw closer as we see a story of forgiveness and God calling us to Himself. We also get another glimpse of the beloved Wise Woman, Ella Mae Zook.
I am already anticipating the next book by Beverly Lewis
Larisha
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this sequel and how Beverly Lewis had us once again in the quaint locations sprinkled throughout the story.

This story of forgiveness, comes full circle with the main characters. As she so wonderfully states “besides forgiveness, this novel is about time - past, present, and future - and the timeless aspects of life: the joy of sisterhood, the discovery of divine mercy, the legacy of family, and true love.”
Elisa Maria
Nov 13, 2019 added it
Recommends it for: teens and adults
The Amish are a curiosity to so many, and often the ‘English’ seem to believe that the Amish differ from ‘us.’ Yet they love, hurt and struggle in life and faith as any Christian does.
I enjoyed this story that showed the Amish as fallible people who desire to love and serve God, yet struggle with the flesh as do we all. The past can come to haunt us, but God, in His infinite mercy and wisdom makes beautiful things from the ashes of the bridges we’ve burned.
Marta Ratliff
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beverly Lewis did it again with The Timepiece! This book is wonderfully written about forgiveness and straying from the Lord. She has a way of reminding us that if we are patient and pray, everything in our lives will turn out exactly the way they are supposed to be! I never get tired of reading her books!
Lisa
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Beverly Lewis. She takes you into a culture that seems difficult to understand from the outside, and helps you see how and why they live like they do. The character of Sylvia was a favorite. She’s tender hearted, and curious. And her curiosity leads to her family adding new members and learning more about themselves in the process.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Healing Jar
  • Listening to Love (An Amish Journey #2)
  • Stitches in Time (The Deacon's Family #2)
  • The Loyal One (Walnut Creek #2)
  • The Patient One (Walnut Creek, #1)
  • A Welcome at Our Door (Amish Homestead #4)
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • The Brides of the Big Valley: 3 Romances from a Unique Pennsylvania Amish Community
  • Hearts in Harmony (An Amish Journey #1)
  • Amish Outsider (River Haven #1)
  • The Farmer's Bride (Amish Brides of Birch Creek #2)
  • A Song of Joy (Under Northern Skies, #4)
  • Mending Fences (The Deacon's Family #1)
  • A Christmas Home (The Promise Glen #1)
  • A Baby For Florence (The Amish Bonnet Sisters #9)
  • An Amish Christmas Kitchen: Three Novellas Celebrating the Warmth of the Season
  • A Christmas Haven: An Amish Christmas Romance
  • The Forgiving Jar (The Prayer Jars #2)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous bestselle
“I'm learning that it's not what comes our way that matters so much as it is how we react.” 1 likes