Start by marking “The Cartiers: The Untold Story of the Family Behind the Jewelry Empire” as Want to Read:
The Cartiers: The Untold Story of the Family Behind the Jewelry Empire

The Cartiers: The Untold Story of the Family Behind the Jewelry Empire

"An enchanting jewel of a book."--Douglas Smith, author of Former People: The Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy

The captivating story of the family behind the Cartier empire and the three brothers who turned their grandfather's humble Parisian jewelry store into a global luxury icon--as told by a great-granddaughter with exclusive access to long-lost family archives

The Cartiers is the revealiarchives
Expected publication: November 26th 2019 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Cartiers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cartiers

Start your review of The Cartiers: The Untold Story of the Family Behind the Jewelry Empire
Paul
Aug 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
A very good (long) read from a very source (great great great granddaughter). Some fascinating sections and details, plus I learned some things about diamonds along the way. I enjoy history and biographies and this hit all the right notes. Recommended for history fans.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell
Omg, I didn't realize this was going to be 700 pages long.

RIP.
Reena
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This a comprehensive and new look into the history of a now famous 'name'.
While the author has a personal connection to the material, being a grandchild of one of the original Cartiers, the material comes across as unbiased and quite intriguing.
Definitely worth a read even for those who are uninterested in jewelry, as the story passes through the history of France, England, America, and others, giving an interesting view into the times through the lens of art and fashion.
Kathy
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Fascinating history of the Cartier Jewelry Empire. This was practically all new information for me. Appreciated the photos distributed throughout the book. I supplemented by going online to see the jewelry in color—more impactful than b/w. At 500+ pages of text there is a lot of detail that I found very interesting. I did receive an ARC of the book via Goodreads Giveaways.
Caroline
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this book. I really enjoyed this history of the House of Cartier by Francesca Cartier Brickell.. As it turns out, it is about far more than just jewelry. The Cartiers were a fascinating family who lived through a lot. The book spans the years 1819-1974 and the three Cartier branches in Paris, London and New York. This period included so much tumult, the overthrow of several monarchies, multiple world wars and ...more
Shannon
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I won this book from a GoodReads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed this book. It's not a book I would have normally read, but it was fascinating to read about the family and how they became the legends they are today. A little lengthy, but good.
Joan
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC through a GoodReads giveaway. A long read but very interesting history about the Cartier family and the jewelry business.
Allison
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic book. It is a slow read though. Take your time to savor and enjoy.

I received this book as a free giveaway from Goodreads. Yay!
Mary
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Debra Pawlak
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given a free advance reading copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. The Cartier family brought jewelry making to a new level with their unique (and expensive) designs. From brooches to necklaces to watches, the name Cartier is synonymous with elegance, class and beauty. How it all began is an interesting story beginning with the first jewelry shop owner Louis-Joseph Cartier who was born in 1875. He started the ball rolling and passed it on to his son Alfred, but it w ...more
Gail Sarasohn
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating story about an iconic family.
I will never look at Cartier jewelry the same again.
Michele Lipford
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting story. I had no ideal all this was behind the family. I am glad I received this book from a goodread giveaway. It is not what I normally read but I liked it a lot.
(a)lyss(a)
I received a copy of this book through the Amazon Vine program in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't realize how long this book would be! It breaks down the Cartier history by point in time and explains how Cartier became the well-known, high-end name that it is today. From pearls to giant engagement diamonds this book spans the Cartier catalog and the history behind the pieces.

While the author is a part of the Cartier family, I do wonder how some of the stories were put togethe
Susan Sherman
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating history of the Cartiers. Strong family focus, creativity in several ways of three bothers and their bond that makes for success during several wars, a depression and changing styles. Anyone in retail should read this book. I am so glad Brickell found the family letters. I will read this book again as there is so much to absorb.
Sandra
Random House Reader's Circle
Oct 10, 2019
Jodi
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Goodreads Giveaway book - I might not have bought it in the store, but, I am glad I got read it. It was very nice to delve into the history of a family that became synonymous with luxury and elegance, rising from very humble beginnings to wealth and fame - and, it is sad how that bond fell apart as the elder generations died off. I love jewelry, and reading about how some of the most iconic pieces in recent history were developed was very nice - I wish the pictures had been in color, though, t ...more
Gretchen
Jamie Rutland Gillespie
Jen Schlott
Kori

• Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • The Sisters of Summit Avenue
  • Haunted House Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #25.7)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • Great Blue Hills of God
  • Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I
  • In the Shadow of Vesuvius (Lady Emily #14)
  • Sidelined