Start by marking “Vanity Fair's Women on Women” as Want to Read:
Vanity Fair's Women on Women

Vanity Fair's Women on Women

Looking back at the last thirty-five years of Vanity Fair stories on women, by women, with an introduction by the magazine's editor in chief, Radhika Jones

Gail Sheehy on Hillary Clinton. Ingrid Sischy on Nicole Kidman. Jacqueline Woodson on Lena Waithe. Leslie Bennetts on Michelle Obama. And two Maureens (Orth and Dowd) on two Tinas (Turner and Fey). Vanity Fair's Women on
Published October 29th 2019 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about Vanity Fair's Women on Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanity Fair's Women on Women

Start your review of Vanity Fair's Women on Women
Julie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vanity Fair’s Women on Women is a 2019 Penguin Press publication.

Fascinating women, fascinating lives!

This is a strong collection of profiles of the women who appeared in Vanity Fair Magazine over the years. All were influential in their way, some were controversial, all are interesting and unique!

I’ve been a long-time subscriber to Vanity Fair and today it is the only magazine I still take. While I may have read some of these profiles over the years, there were many that were before my time-
Stefanie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
One of those fun to dip into when you have a few minutes books.
Robin Shilling
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Especially liked reading the essays written a while back - i.e. Hillary Clinton, Princess Diana, etc. - and compare them to now and what we know. Easy to jump around, skim, or even skip if you want.
Bibiana Krall
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Vanity Fair's Women on Women, edited by Radhika Jones with David Friend is an interesting collection of articles and essays from the past thirty-six years previously published in Vanity Fair about women you might think you know, but there are some big surprises in here. I came away from reading this book with admiration and a renewed sense of sisterhood.

Making Whoopi by Janet Coleman

Whoopi Goldberg is a rebel to the core, “The critics hadn’t seen any black woman doin’ what I’m doin.” She’s an
Carole V Bell
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vanity Fair editor in chief Radhika Jones has put together a compelling mix of essays written by women about women. The subjects are famous, but they represent a wide range of walks of life, from Mexican artist Frida Kahlo to legendary Hollywood actress Meryl Streep to former First Lady Michelle Obama and England's Queen Elizabeth II. The essays are divided into eight groups: The comedians, The White House, Society and Style, The Renegades, The Musicians, The House of Windsor, The Stars and ...more
Molly Wilcox
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is great. Heartbreaking, inspiring, enlightening, troubling, and important. Reading stories about women, written by women gives light to details of their existence you wouldn’t otherwise uncover. You read about royalty, stars, politicians, activists, renegades, artists, and culture-disrupters who all share one thing: womanhood. Unpacking what that is and the sacrifices women make for other people is provoking and frustrating - then reading how these women overcame that at some point in ...more
Margaret
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Full disclosure, I did not read the entire book. This is a collection of articles from Vanity Fair written by women journalists, about women. I read over half the book, but skipped a few articles that did not interest me. The collection includes articles about Emily Post, Audrey Hepburn, Michelle Obama, Barbara Bush, Monica Lewinsky, Hillary Clinton. and a host of others. I believe there are 35 articles. The essays I read were excellent, interesting and thought provoking.
Chelsea Marie
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, arc, kindle, nonfiction
The idea of a collection of articles written by women and about women was amazing to me. Unfortunately, this just didn't do it for me. I've actually never read Vanity Fair, and a lot of these articles seemed to be long just for the sake of taking up space, and lacked enough substance to keep me interested.
Annarella
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collections of articles is an interesting and entertaining read that talks about women and it's full of food for thought.
I liked the well written articles and was happy to read about famous women and women in general.
An interesting read, highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Roberta Weiner
This is a compilation of articles from Vanity Fair, mainly profiles of famous women (there are a few first-person #metoo articles at the end. For the most part, they are compelling reading. It’s not to be read in one giant swoop, but individually, piece by piece. Some you’ll find page turners, other not so much. I read them over the course of a month and glad I did
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book this year which really surprised me. It has to be read a little at a time. The profiles of women from all walks of life almost well known was fascinating and in every case presented a side that was unexpected.
Patti
Dec 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I read a lot of books and this didn’t click. Maybe it’s my unfamiliarity with Vanity Fair, perhaps it’s being 66 years old and geared towards young feminists. I may pick it up again from my library.
Chris Selin
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book of essays written across the decades about women by women that will spur various emotions from ‘amens!’ to heavy sighs to chuckles to shudders to ‘hmm, I didn’t knows’.
Elbrackeen Brackeen

• The Water Dancer
  • Smashed Avocado
  • The Need
  • Randomize
  • Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying: Essays
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Credo: The Rose Wilder Lane Story