Start by marking “We are the Catalyst (The Psionics, #2)” as Want to Read:
We are the Catalyst (The Psionics, #2)

We are the Catalyst

(The Psionics #2)

Kidnapped and imprisoned, telepathic children are forced to gather military intelligence. Repeatedly stripped of their memories, they live in ignorance of the world above. You can’t tell anyone a secret if you don’t remember it. It’s not child abuse if no one knows you exist.

Epsilon 17 appears to be just another mindless tool, empty of thought. But it’s a lie. The
ebook
Published February 25th 2019 by NineStar Press (first published July 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about We are the Catalyst, please sign up.
Di Stefano There is no need to read Storm first, in fact I think I'd actually recommend you to read Catalyst first, as Storm is a sort of prequel to get the…moreThere is no need to read Storm first, in fact I think I'd actually recommend you to read Catalyst first, as Storm is a sort of prequel to get the backstory on some of the characters.
Catalyst is complete as a stand alone book although I can't wait for Psionics book 3 to be released that is merely because I enjoyed Catalyst so much rather than because the storyline is incomplete.(less)

Start your review of We are the Catalyst (The Psionics, #2)
Isabelle | BookwyrmBites
1. I Am the Storm | 1/2

I received a review copy from the author through #ReviewPit. This does not affect my rating or opinions.

4.75 stars. 4.5 stars. (I had originally planned to reread this after reading the first book, but it was such an intense experience that I don't feel prepared to undergo again. Reread-ability is a factor in ratings for me, but I also don't want to ignore my initial impression.)

Mindreaders. Telepaths. Psychics. There are many names, but here at the Institute, they like
Alix
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read! This book starts with a very personal act of resistance - and had me hooked from there, as the story spiraled ever outward and back inward through the minds and plights of the two pov characters.

Epsilon17 and Toby make for fantastic contrasting protagonists who (unbeknownst to them) share a common goal. The book is action-packed, and full of compelling characters that you can't wait to learn more about and spend more time with. I'm trying to keep this review spoiler free, but the
Mary Fan
The death of dystopia has been greatly exaggerated, and thank goodness. I, for one, never get sick of stories about scrappy teens rising up against cruel regimes, of dark worlds juxtaposed with the stubborn idealism, gritty persistence, and hope that fuels rebellion. WE ARE THE CATALYST delivers all that and more.

In a world where kids with psionic powers are enslaved by the almighty Institute - stripped of their humanity to be used as weapons - an underground rebellion is brewing, and two teens
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
Alex Harrow
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great continuation of the Psionics series, though it should be noted that this book can absolutely be read on its own, though you'll get more connections (and awesome recurring characters!) if you read I AM THE STORM first.

Anyway, this installment of the series felt in many ways more fleshed out than the first book and introduces readers more to ARC, the organization trying to take down the Institute, who exploit Psionics like Epsilon 17. I loved the found family dynamics in ARC
Sage Anastasi
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I decided to jump straight in with We Are The Catalyst, even thought it technically has another book before it, and it was the right decision! The pacing is quick and tight, and the alternating points of view lend themselves really well to dramatic irony -- Toby and 17 both know things the other doesn't, and watching them slowly come together is an absolute joy. McAdams fits the worldbuilding in around the characters, using their experiences to contextualise events, which is a refreshing change ...more
Lianna
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although we do see the two POV characters from the first book quite a bit, this book follows two new characters; Toby, who has grown up in the central city with all the amenities of life, and Epsilon 17 who has been locked up by The Institute - an organization dedicated to using superpowered children to control and subdue the population. This gives us a lot of new information about the world and those that live in it. This book documents the fight between the ARC and the Institute, as well as ...more
Michelle
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This starts out with a description of what life is like for Epsilon 17 as an unwitting tool of the Institute in a way that's truly haunting and grips you and immediately puts you on her side, and doesn't let go from there. The two main characters are connected in ways beyond even their own knowledge and trying to untangle the mystery and see what happens to them next makes you want to keep going past the point where a reasonable person would go to sleep for the night (not that I would know ...more
James
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the characters are really interesting and I cared about them immediately. Epsilon 17 is a fascinating example of resistance and strength and Toby is very relatable. I was immediately drawn into the complicated Institute, a high powered, Government organization that controls the country through secret means. Tash McAdams has created a vibrant, complicated world that unfolds wonderfully. The story is full of diverse characters and unexpected events! I definitely recommend!!
Lee Sutton
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Epsilon 17 is a prisoner of the Institute. Her powerful abilities make her a dangerous tool, but her captivity has kept her physically weak and helplessly ignorant. Her only solace comes in the form of a happy, energetic boy who populates her dreams and shows her a taste of a life she can barely imagine. The regular memory wipes are meant to keep her docile, but Epsilon 17 remembers. She remembers five years of dehumanization. Five years of isolation. Five years of being a tool for manipulation, ...more
BookLooksbyB
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
(3.5/5 stars)

Vivid, detailed writing, 2 very different character’s stories all told in a demented dystopian world. Though this book has 2 character perspectives, I instantly grew more attached to E17. Toby was interesting & funny, however E17 stole the show for me and I found myself enjoying her chapters more than Toby’s. E17’s chapters were intense, tragic, suspenseful, & so well thought out that I couldn’t put the book down until I knew how her chapter ended each time I picked this up
Di Stefano
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just Wow! The best sci-fi novel I’ve read in years. An exciting, exhilarating, roller coaster of a ride.
A fast moving page turner that I couldn’t put down.
As with all good sci-fi the world was well developed, well described and fascinating. When the storyline, characters and world are all good then sci-fi is good. This is good.
The great thing about it was not just that it was an exciting adventure thriller but that the characters were so different and well developed; no cardboard cut-outs
Michelle Shemon
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We are the Catalyst
The Psionics Book 2
Tash McAdam

This was a great story! I loved the characters, and the details provided. It made them real. The world building and descriptions were wonderful. They really pulled you into the story. The twists were great. I loved the adventure, and the action. This was an amazing read.
Delaney
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The world is rich and diverse, and the characters are all in depth and fully realized. Exciting and thoughtful, this was a fun and emotional read. I’ve been a fan of Tash’s work since I was a young teenager and their talent for writing continues to shine in this second novel. Can’t wait for more Psionics!!
Marie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 takes us with a different set of main characters who teach us much more about this exciting sci-fi world. I love the relationship building, the fight scenes, and of course, the exciting magical elements of telepathy and telekinesis!
Tina
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Really good plot to the story. Very well written. Would highly recommend it to anyone who likes this kind of stories. Can't wait to read more from this author.

Aoife
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, a2, a3e, feb, nine-star-press
Shades of Dollhouse in this exciting thriller. I downloaded and read it pretty much in one go. I liked the twists and turns and the mystery of it all.

The description says this is part of a series, but I didn't feel I was missing anything from earlier books at all. I'll look out for more in the series; this isn't exactly a cliffhanger but there's plenty of space for more stories.

Receiving an ARC did not affect my review in any way.
Anne Marie Crookes
Tanya Lisle
May 14, 2019
Insert Name Here
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I tried to like this, but the language just isn't for me. I can't even put my finger on what, exactly, was upsetting me; all I can say is that this one is not for me, but the story and writing are solid if you want to check it out for yourselves.

Thanks for allowing me to read in exchange for an honest review.
Amie's Book Reviews
Amanda Wardrop
Apr 14, 2019

• Jacob's Ladder
  • Hellion (415 Ink, #3)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Waking the Witch: Reflections on Women, Magic, and Power
  • Wrapped
  • Port in a Storm
  • Hidden Powers (Superordinary Society, #1)
  • Three Under the Christmas Tree
  • Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Swallow (A Forbidden Desires Spin-off, #1)
  • Sweeter Than Caramel
  • Eyeliner and Lace
  • World Turned Upside Down
  • Medium Rare (Profane, #1)
  • Vapor Trail (The Profane, #2)
  • Between the Covers
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • The Last Birthday Party
Tash is a Welsh-Canadian author and teacher. They've been published in multiple anthologies, and their first personal release, a YA novella called SLAM was an international bestseller. Their debut series, The Psionics, is being released in full over 2019, from Nine Star Press.

When they're not writing, they're usually found teaching either Computer Science or English in Vancouver. Tash identifies

The Psionics (3 books)
  • I Am the Storm (The Psionics, #1)
  • They Are the Tide (The Psionics, #3)