Start by marking “Soul in Darkness” as Want to Read:
Soul in Darkness

Soul in Darkness

People travel from afar to the small isle in the Aegean Sea hoping for a single glimpse of Princess Psyche. Their adoration for the mortal woman is so all-consuming that citizens begin to shower her with the very gifts and offerings they once left at the alter of Venus, goddess of love and beauty.

But gods are known for their jealousy.

Cupid, the god of love, takes pleasure
Paperback, 1st Edition, 352 pages
Published February 10th 2019 by Barnes & Noble

Start your review of Soul in Darkness
Wendy Higgins
Jun 29, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I am so excited. When I read the mythology of the god Cupid and mortal Princess Psyche, I found it to be the quintessential, classic, ultimate romance, and knew I had to write it.
I'd originally intended for this book to be YA-Crossover, because it starts with her as an older teen, but it's definitely not YA after all, so I've amended that in the description. THIS IS AN ADULT ROMANCE. ;)
Also, it's a standalone and will not have a sequel.
Hugs and kisses to you!!!
Laura Thalassa
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This sounds freaking AMAZING!!!

***Edited***

Now that I've read it, I can safely say that it WAS freaking amazing!!! The myth of Cupid and Psyche has always been one of my favorite, and Wendy Higgins brought it to life! The thing I love about Wendy's writing is that she balances the dark and light elements so, so well! Now I just want mooooaarr! <3
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
❤️5 stars ❤️

This was an amazing read, since I'm from Greece I already know the myth, and I'm always intrigued to read books that have Greek mythology.Wendy Higgins did an amazing job, she delivers a fast paced,brilliant story, full of emotions and some really steamy moments.

description

I don't want to give anything away but if you love mythology then you definitely have to read this one!The characters were fantastic, so well developed.Psyche is astrong heroine.Cupid is an interesting character , he intrigue
Candace Robinson
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read all of Wendy Higgins' books, and the one thing she always knows how to do well is write romance! And this book did not disappoint in the swoon!

So the Greek god stuff has always been intriguing, but sometimes can be overdone when its the same stories with the same gods that we've heard about before. What had me full on in was the fact that I'd never heard of the Cupid and Psyche story! Of course I knew who Cupid was because, come on, Valentine's Day, but I didn't know this one!!

The sto
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Soul in Darkness was enchanting, seductive and smile inducing. This story was everything I love about Wendy Higgins. It had the most delicious sexual tension, characters that I quickly loved and a story that made me fly through this book way too fast. If you're a fan of Greek mythology, retellings, or Wendy Higgins then definitely pick this one up. I absolutely loved this story and can't recommend it enough!
“Bright soul, why must you make this difficult?”
In his nearness, I felt his word
Marquise
This is what happens when you hand an ancient myth over to someone who's familiar with it only through Google, and ask them to write a retelling.

I'm not trying to be unfairly harsh to this author, new to me, but Soul in Darkness does stink of not knowing what she was writing about, so the best that could be done given the unfamiliarity was to turn it into the usual cliché-filled contemporary romance masquerading as something else. It may get a pass with some, but it just won't with me.

Let's see
Melanie A. *mostly on hiatus*
3.5 STARS!
"It is your soul I love."
Overall verdict: I'm glad I read it!

Though Soul in Darkness wasn't a resounding success for me, it did have some really stellar moments toward the end.

Psyche is known far and wide for her incredible beauty, but . . .
I had always resented the fact that my appearance was the only thing people found worthy about me.
Cupid, the God of Love is sent by his mother, Venus to handle this upstart of a girl who is stealing her spotlight. Cupid fin
Saint Monique
3,5 '💘Eros and Psyche🦋' stars

Oh my, where to start. The thing is that I really liked some parts of this book and I completely hated the other parts. As everyone probably already knows, I'm kind of obsessed with mythology. Like I very seriously devoted fan of everything mythological. So, I'm always torn when it comes to retellings - will I like it, will I have too high expectations, will I be annoyed with the changes and incorrections? I've been in love with Eros and Psyche's story since I've rea
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I ordered Soul in Darkness after having read Raven (@dreamyaddiction)’s review. We have similar tastes in book and I will meet Wendy Higgins at a book event in a few weeks. What better reason to make a dent in my book budget right?

I am not a huge fan of mythology and did not know the story of Cupid and Psyche.

From the synopsis and Raven’s review I got that Psyche was incredibly beautiful and that her beauty earned her people’s love. She got offerings like a goddess and that soon ang
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
4.5-5 stars – SO, so good! I love mythology retellings, and this Cupid/Psyche retelling was brilliant and beautifully written. I fell so hard for the story and felt for the struggle Psyche faces with her unknown husband. It's a pure, romantic read I highly recommend!

Full review to come!

Thanks to the author for generously providing me an ARC to review.
Melody Boggs
This might have been a two-star review, might, if I hadn't also had to endure Psyche being maybe five days pregnant and suddenly acting like she's in her third trimester. Really, the over-glorification and glamorization of pregnancy and motherhood taking place here are sickening enough, but what I really can't stand are these romances that can't seem to go without throwing a damn baby in the mix like it's the only One True Happy Ending that women could ever have or ever strive for. Heaven forbid ...more
Alexandra
I received an e-ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

Ah the beauty of reading a book inspired by mythology! The story of Eros and Psyche has transcended time and is known as one of the few stories where a god and a human do actually have a happy ending. Inspired by the Latin work which chronicles the trials of Psyche after she falls in love with Eros, son of Aphrodite, Wendy Higgins delivers a stand-alone Adult book filled with emotion,
Angie
In every person I met, every new face, I sought the one who would finally lock eyes with me and see through to my soul within. --Psyche

I am so amazed and blessed that I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this lovely novel as it was my most anticipated read of 2019! It was everything I hoped it would be and more, so thank you, Wendy!

SOUL IN DARKNESS tells the impossible love story of Psyche, a mere mortal, and Cupid, the god of love. Princess Psyche is renowned for her extraordinary beauty an
Anusha
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If anyone had asked me how I felt during the first part of the book my exact words would have been "Look outside, listen carefully and you will see my expectations crashing and burning to dust", but the next two parts were the game changer. To be more specific, it was entirely Cupid's feelings which urged me to forgo my three star rating and give in to four stars.

I love a good story involving the greek or roman Gods and this one focusing on Cupid, was the cherry on top. It was endearing to witne
Arceli
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yaay! The queen of PNR is coming up with a new book! I need it now! 2019 come and hurry up!
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review and others on my blog shades of paper

“Sometimes”, he said, “we fear that which we should embrace because we do not know better.”

I admit I was so excited to read this book because I’m pretty sure it’s the first Eros and Psyque retelling I’ve come across, and I adore that myth, so I went with very high expectations into it, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it, and think it was a nice take on the original tale.

Now I would say that if you’re looking a more
Kristina
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love LOVE. I love everlasting love even more.

I've been waiting for Soul in Darkness since Wendy Higgins released the news to us months ago. The cover is physical PERFECTION... kind of like Psyche herself.

SUMMARY:
Wendy Higgins' standalone "Soul in Darkness" is based on the Roman/Greek mythology of Cupid and Psyche. I did a bit of historical pre-reading before diving into this baby, trying to remember every bit of history I could from that one global studies class I took my sophomore ye
Kayla Ritenour (In Between The pages)
Awww this book. I always look forward to one of Wendy's stories. She writes the most amazing ones. Especially these retellings. Between this now, and the The Great Hunt duet. I cannot wait to see where her awesome head will go on the next retell.

But where to start on this actual book. It's easy to say it's designed wonderfully. Since the basis of it is already laid out so well. But the way Wendy spun it. How she created it into her own story was great. She gave so much more depth and feeling to
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
3 stars. Very interesting and entertaining story. I will admit that I’m not very knowledgable about the actual mythology of Cupid and Psyche so I can’t speak on the accuracy. However, I do think the author did a great job giving you just enough of a background so that even if you aren’t familiar with Roman or Greek mythology you won’t be confused.

The writing was good and I liked Psyche. I thought she was a great character. Her development was solid and I did enjoy her and Cupid’s relationship ev
Kilikina
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok I really enjoyed this one. I went into this not knowing what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised. I will say this is absolutely not YA though lol I think this has been marketed more towards that, but it isn’t.

The middle did drag a tiny bit, and Psyche did annoy me sometimes (but given the circumstances, her actions were warranted).

Overall though I really liked this Cupid/Psyche retelling!

Before reading:
————————
Now this sounds bloody fantastic.
Christa
I really enjoyed this straight retelling of Cupid and Psyche. It felt like an expansion to the original myth, set in Roman times. It was well researched.

If you want a romantic Greek mythology retelling that doesn’t stray from the original mythology, this is the book for you.

Free on kindle unlimited.
Lana لانا  (Bibliomedico)
This Book Was different from my usual romance readings, but it was really good.
Fast-paced, unique, weird and completely engaging.
I loved this book.
Recommended for romance / Retellings lovers .
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
Original review on Julalicious Book Paradise

Starting this book, I wasn’t sure where it was going to take me. I just knew that I love Wendy Higgins’ writing so I was really excited for this book.

The book is a Greek mythology retelling story and I really enjoyed it because it wasn’t like most retellings I read before. I will admit that I wasn’t familiar with the story of Psyche and Cupid, but after reading this book, I will admit that I’m intrigued to find more about them.

Psyche is a character tha
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars!

“ In every person I met, every new face, I sought the one who would finally lock eyes with me and see through to my soul within. ”

Soul In Darkness was one of my highly anticipated books of 2019 and I'm very happy to say that I wasn't disappointed. I'm a total sucker for fantasy romances and this book was absolutely amazing!  It is actually a stand-alone novel inspired by the greek mythology Cupid and Psyche. I've read only few retellings of this myth and so far, thi
Katie Jones
This is just everything I love. Romance, Greek mythology, enemy to lover & did I mention the romance... swoon-worthy. This packs some serious punches to the chest; It broke my heart how resistant Psyche was being, how heartless Venus is & how much Cupid seemed to be trying to make it work. I LOVED it.

I would absolutely love some more Greek mythology re-tellings... Ms Higgins...?
Rebecca
I am a sucker for mythology and retellings and couldn't wait to dive right into this one. Psyche seemed too special snowflake, and I had a difficult time with her plight. Even though the myth is pretty much insta-love, I didn't feel any strong connection to the romantic aspect either. For the most part, I enjoyed the mythology, especially the gods and goddesses.

Can't say I disliked the book, but it won't go as a Higgins favorite either.
Cassie
May 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Wow. That was... bad.

I was so excited to read this book, too. I decided to buy it after seeing an author I like read it and gave it a pretty rave review. And the myth of Psyche and Cupid? Decidedly My Brand.

And yet, somehow, the author utterly failed in bringing the myth to life.

The prose was okay, for the most part, but the story was told so... juvenile-y? That is the only word I can think of to describe it. Psyche was a young woman for most of this story, and yet everything she experienced and
Mefab✨
Apr 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I would explain it like this,
"This story is a retelling of a story that is already a retelling! But Greek mythology edition"

In the beginning, we have that girl who is too innocent for very obvious things. As we moved on, turned out, this random book that I started to read is actually very okay!

I would say that it is totally a beauty and the beast retelling but it felt more like a spin off of ACOTAR(by Sarah j mass). Actually, it is ACOTAR but Greek mythology edition-ed.

First impression of psyc
Christina
3.5 stars.
Megan Easter
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating - 3.5 Stars

I love retellings and I love mythology so this book really intrigued me. Especially because the story of Cupid and Psyche aren't a common retelling.
Overall, I did enjoy this one. It wasn't mind-blowing plot-wise and it didn't have a lot of "depth", however, it was fun, a really quick read and it kept me mostly entertained.
I actually got some ACOTAR vibes while reading certain parts of this one so if you enjoyed that book, you might enjoy this one. This book is more "adult" th

• Famine (The Four Horsemen, #3)
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • War (The Four Horsemen, #2)
  • Trick (Foolish Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Power of Hades (The Hades Trials, #1)
  • Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • The Passion of Hades (The Hades Trials, #2)
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • Storm and Fury (The Harbinger, #1)
  • Erebus (The Court of the Underworld #7)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
  • Illusions of Grandeur (The Impossible Julian Strande, #1)
  • Kiss of the Blood Prince: A Fated Mates Fae Romance
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer, #2)
  • Dark Harmony (The Bargainer, #3)
Wendy Higgins is the USA Today and NY Times bestselling author of the SWEET EVIL series from HarperTeen, the high fantasy duology THE GREAT HUNT, her independently published Irish Fantasy SEE ME, and her indie NA science fiction UNKNOWN trilogy.
After earning a Creative Writing degree from George Mason University and a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction from Radford, Wendy taught high school Eng