Start by marking “Trove: A Woman's Search for Truth and Buried Treasure” as Want to Read:
Trove: A Woman's Search for Truth and Buried Treasure

Trove: A Woman's Search for Truth and Buried Treasure

Trove is the story of a woman whose life is up-ended when she begins an armchair treasure hunt―a search for $10,000 worth of gold coins buried in New York City, of all places―with a man who, as she points out, is not her husband. In this eloquent, hilarious, sharply realized memoir, Sandra A. Miller grapples with the regret and confusion that so often accompanies middle ...more
Published September 19th 2019 by Brown Paper Press

To ask other readers questions about Trove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trove

Start your review of Trove: A Woman's Search for Truth and Buried Treasure
Chantal
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ebook-en
When I started this book, I thought it was a book about finding a gold treasure, but along the way this book was more then that. It has a deeper story in it about a female who was trying to find herself. It was heartbreaking at times to read her sadness to be acknowledged in life by her own parents. The story was prickly and sweet at the same time. It gets 4 points.

This is a ARC from the publisher via Netgalley, which I got for a honest review.

Marilyn Osowiski
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the good fortune of reading an advance copy of TROVE and my only regret is that it is not being released until 9/19/19! When it is released, I would HIGHLY recommend reading it as soon as you can! Throughout the book I felt as if I too was on a treasure hunt, both physically with the author and emotionally as part of my own journey.

Physically you feel the excitement and hope of joining the author and her friend on a search for buried treasure. The sensible paths and frustrating missteps,
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
This book was kind of a downer for me. It's about a woman's complicated relationship with her cold and rather alienating parents, and sort of a middle age crisis in life, and trying to find her way through it. It's tied to treasure hunting, but very loosely. It was meaningful, but incredibly sad, so I didn't enjoy it all that much. I just couldn't handle the amount of misunderstandings between her and her parents, or even how badly her love interest treated her. It's all a valid story for sure, ...more
Erica Ferencik
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is transcendence possible? Hell, maybe, with enough fortitude and humor and persistence. I loved this hilarious, heart-breaking page-turner about one woman's relentless search for all the treasures life has to offer. I certainly related to all the struggling, sadness and moments of elation the author experienced in her quest for love and fulfillment in this insane world. Highly recommended read!
Jeanne
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
The emotional punch of this book caught me by surprise. On the surface it is a book about a woman caught up in an armchair treasure hunt. But the heart of this story is the author's search for emotional treasure.
Shannon
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

TROVE: A Woman's Search for Truth and Buried Treasure is the story of a woman on a journey. It also happens to be a true story, a memoir of sorts. Sandra Miller's narrative begins as she faces the loss of her last living parent. “Eight years ago a man, who was not my husband, invited me on an armchair treasure hunt—a search for $10,000 worth of gold coins buried in New York City, of all places” says Miller. “When I said I’d go, my world was upended.” Her decision to take part in this adventure
Jay McNair
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: journals
Absolutely gripping! It doesn't hurt to interest me in her memoir that the author is my next-door neighbor. But I think I might have been just as caught up in this regardless. Fantastic excavation into the relations between parents and children, husbands and wives. I love family drama.

Great sense of dry humor throughout:
Mark was sprawled on the couch reading Golf Magazine with one pair of glasses placed sexily atop the other.
Phinny’s uncomplicatedness. Good character. “To me the only thing that’
Deb Fleischman
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re going diving, bring along Sandra A. Miller. With a tank of oxygen, she’d probably find Atlantis. Or at the very least a piece of colored sea glass, or a heart shaped rock to add to her eye-popping collection that bejewel her windowsills. I’ve walked the same beaches but fail to see, let alone score, such tiny treasures. That’s because Sandra is always looking, and Trove is the culmination of that search. If you’ve read any of Sandra’s provocative newspaper and magazine articles on say, ...more
Janette Fuller
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like to read memoirs/biographies because I truly believe that truth is more fascinating than fiction. I REALLY liked this book. I downloaded my copy in the afternoon of one day and read until I went to bed. I then started reading the next morning and didn't stop until I read the last page. I don't usually get hooked on a book like this, but I had to find out where that darn treasure was buried!!!

The story is much deeper than just hunting for a chest of buried treasure. The author is a superb
Marissa
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of Sandra Miller's memoir made me uncomfortable, and I couldn't place my finger on why. I cringed a little at some of the raw exchanges between her and her husband and her and her parents, the problematic decisions made. The book felt, at times, like poking at the raw skin under a blister after it has burst. But it felt oddly close to home, too: the restless searching for who knows what, the messy relationships, inadequate communication.

I think her deeply personal story taps into
Maureen Stanton
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading an advance copy of this lovely and page-turning memoir, and stayed up half the night doing so. I couldn't put it down. Sandra Miller's writing is colloquial--you feel like you're having an intimate conversation with your best friend--and also lyrical and eloquent and witty and so smart. You'll find yourself lost in the narrative in the best way, along for the ride as Miller searches for that elusive thing she longs for (and whatever it is, we've all had that ...more
Liz
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cried and laughed throughout this well-written, poignant memoir. Miller has such a succinct way with words, and never wasted any to communicate her heartfelt story of longing, love and loss. Very rarely does a story grab me from the beginning and keep me hooked all the way through. I was on the hunt with her, cheering at her victories, crying with her at the defeats and laughing out loud with her well-timed moments of comic relief.

This is a PERFECT book club read. Readers will easily discover
Steve
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read for anyone searching for ... well, anything. Sandra Miller's search for buried treasure (really!) is an entertaining story, but what makes her memoir more than that is how she weaves the rest of her life into that narrative: her relationships with her kids, parents, spouse, and treasure-hunting partner foremost among them. Her searches -- for love, understanding, adventure and more -- are universal, and any reader will be able to connect to the pieces of her journey that mirror ...more
Lynette Benton
Sandra Miller's memoir, Trove: A Woman's Search for Truth and Buried Treasure, relates the kind of search that most of us, most of us women, that is, experience in one form or another without even knowing it. On the surface, we might be seeking money, professional success, a life partner, the "right" house, but deep down we are yearning for something greater. Sandra Miller, in Trove, shows us what one woman looked for and what she found.
Gary Miller
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read and loved Sandra Miller's work for years. She's funny. She's smart. She's blessed with fathomless insight, and can open up the simplest moment into worlds. When Sandra goes deep, as she does in Trove, get your heart ready for a killshot. Trove is what it's like to live a human life, to yearn, to hope, and to fight like crazy to find that place where your soul feels at home. This book comes out on September 19. Make a date with yourself. The treasure is waiting.
Rose
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I was excited to read about a real life treasure hunt, but it was loosely based around a treasure hunt and it wasn't really the main focus. The real treasure hunt was the author's search for herself. This was a very emotional book, but it was well worth the read.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
Katie Rimer
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this whole book in 36 hours. Sandra Miller's memoir is captivating, hilarious, and deep. Who among us has not sought signs and wonders in the everyday, yearning for a felt sense of knowing we are exactly where we need to be? I know I have, and Sandra's story affirmed my own seeking AND my finding. Especially recommended for moms in midlife, though this book will speak to all who seek meaning.
Susan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an advance copy of TROVE and I loved it. It is a memoir that stays with you - full of feeling, funny, and deeply honest. TROVE is a joy to read - so beautifully written that I was deeply, effortlessly absorbed every step of the way. I'm looking forward to re-reading it very soon.
Lisa Carey
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best memoirs I’ve ever read. Sandra’s writing is sharp, funny, and inspiring. She knows about the dark places—where you think about your life and wonder what would have been had you chosen an alternate door. You feel like you are holding hands with her when she comes out the other side. I highly recommend this treasure.
Anne Wright
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got to read an advance copy of this book. It's delightful as well as meaningful. It goes back and forth between being a fun story about a woman's middle-age adventure, and a deep search for meaning and resolution of painful or unresolved experiences from her past. I look forward to re-reading when it comes out.
Cristie Underwood
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This is a beautifully written account of one woman's armchair search for treasure that ultimately leads to her finding the one treasure she wasn't looking for: emotional fulfillment, which all of the money in the world cannot buy. The raw writing about the relationships she had with her parents made her journey that much more emotional for the reader.
Liz Grabiner
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading an advanced copy, a beautifully written book that kept me engaged from start to finish. This funny, colorful and suspenseful memoir tells the story of a woman's journey to fulfill her dreams while simultaneously resolving old wounds. A must read!
Diana Costello
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a moving memoir about finding oneself and recognizing that our past makes us who we are. I found myself pausing and reflecting on my own baggage from childhood - Sandra's thoughtful introspection is actually a guide for own healing and growth! I can't wait for the book launch on 9/19!
Kathy Deflane
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Touching and relateable, bought for the added puzzle but worth it for the adventure itself
Thea Paneth
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read an earlier version, thought it was great and it can only be even better in the published form. Can't wait to get my copy when it comes out!
Christina
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. It is an honest, relatable and captivating memoir.
Margaret Muirhead
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nabbed an advance copy and *loved* it. Beautifully written & deeply felt with plenty of insight but also just fun. I'm a big fan of memoir, and this one takes its place with my all-time favorites.
Fauzia Burke
Aug 14, 2019
Heather Smith
Nov 23, 2019
Julia Goodman
Oct 16, 2019

• The Dearly Beloved
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • The Ship of Dreams: The Sinking of the Titanic and the End of the Edwardian Era
  • The Man That Got Away (Constable Twitten #2)
  • The Bourbon King: The Life and Crimes of George Remus, Prohibition's Evil Genius
  • A Father: Puzzle (The MIT Press)
  • A Month in the Country
  • Picture This: How Pictures Work
  • Blockbusters: Hit-making, Risk-taking, and the Big Business of Entertainment
  • Understanding Wood
  • Stories from My Life With the Other Animals
  • The Shadow in the Garden: A Biographer's Tale
  • Book Typography: A Designer's Manual
  • The Idealist: Jeffrey Sachs and the Quest to End Poverty
  • The Vegetable Gardener's Bible: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions
  • The Mountain Lion
  • The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World
  • Olive, Again
Sandra A. Miller’s essays and articles have appeared in over one-hundred publications, including The Christian Science Monitor, Spirituality & Health, Modern Bride, Yankee, Family Fun, and The Boston Globe Magazine, for which she is a regular correspondent.

One of her essays was turned into a short film called “Wait,” directed by Trudie Styler and starring Kerry Washington. Sandra appeared on