Start by marking “The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within” as Want to Read:
The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within

The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within

Two thousand years later the call to follow Christ has been repackaged to be smooth and trouble-free, filled with opportunity and promise but lacking risk, passion, and sacrifice. Is this really what Jesus died for? If He chose the way of the cross, where would He hesitate leading us? Is it possible that to follow Jesus is to choose the barbarian way?

Jesus never made a pri
Published February 8th 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Barbarian Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barbarian Way

Start your review of The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within
Britt
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book. McManus isn't saying anything new, but what he is saying is important and thought provoking. There were a few things that, obvious as they really are, had never actually occurred to me.

The book deals with an issue that has bothered me for a long time. The current church is too safe. It's too clean. It's too neat. It's too bureaucratic. It's too controlled. It's too insular. McManus encourages his readers to embrace a barbarian faith. I grew up in a church where we learned that the ea
Alex
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
The Barbarian Way is written by a guy who lets his kids jump of the roof and goes to a church where men strip off naked for a tug-of-war after a retreat in the mountains. "A group of buzzards waiting around together to feat on leftover carnage is called a committee. Just this one insight is worth the prices of the whole book..." and probably sums up the tone of the book.

McManus is an iconoclast, although he doesn't come across as an angry one. He wants Christians to let go of civilised religion,
Amanda
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
McManus is certainly not normal, nor a voice of reason, but he would consider both of those evaluations as complimentary. The book is chock full of powerful quotes that make you reevaluate why we try so hard to achieve the status quo. And it captures a Jesus who was not boring, nice, sweet, or tamed - someone actually worth following. If you yearn to experience a Christianity that isn't boring or safe, I recommend reading this book.
Cigno
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most refreshing read I have had in a decade...maybe longer.
This is a quick read yet every page is full of rich challenges and engaging perspectives on the Christian life. McManus smartly challenges the Christian status quo through Scripture and compelling anecdotes.
Eric Herendeen
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
It was ok. The whole point seemed to be go out there and do something for God.
Jill Wallace
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book definitely made me think. Are we too safe and too civilized in the modern church? Probably we are. The book made me uncomfortable in a good way. Will I look out for ways to be more of a Christian barbarian? Most definitely!
Sam
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
LOVED this book.
Starr
Apr 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2020-read
Unleashed by Erwin Raphael McManus
A challenge is presented to all Christians to approach their faith in a way that mirrors the times of the Bible. It’s a challenge to not live out a faith in a life of ease and comfort, but to live faith out in the ways that are so far from tradition that it’s barbaric. I like it; it's short sweet and to the point. But I think the message of the book is really the part that I struggle with the most. It is not that I don't completely agree with what McMannus is s
Nathan Pullman
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking to take your faith to the next level and be encouraged to have the boldness of the early church then this book is for you!
Jeremy Copeland
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites. I give it to people all the time to read. If you're tired of faith the way it is, and believe there must be more to it than what you've experienced so far, you have to read this book. McManus taps into something that is written on our hearts and in our souls and he awakens a longing in us that can't be stopped.
Jonathan
Jul 31, 2007 rated it liked it
McManus is inspirational and insightful. This is a quick read, I think meant to have a little bit every day. Not real substantive, he's definitely trying to make his point to as wide an audience as possible, and he succeeds.
La Tonya  Jordan
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to La Tonya by: Norhtview Church Book Club
Shelves: good-read
A book written with clarity and a purpose in mind, it was funny, informative and witty. The Barbarian Way is a life lived and cherished by and for Jesus, may we all become barbarian’s someday. An excellent read.

Craig  Calvert
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If this book doesn't get you fired up to drop everything and follow the Lord in a Barbaric way, I don't know what will. Any christian that is having trouble taking a next step, and fully surrendering to be a Christ follower, should read this book!
Kavin Kramer
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I see why some of my friends speak so highly of this man. He is a true visionary on how to engage culture. This book will no doubt effect me for a long time to come.
Alex Richmond
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Picked up this book at the local used bookstore because it stood out amongst the other books for surrounding it in the Christian section. Lotta books have titles that focus on peace and love and other softer, yet important things. While the book may seem generic, I feel it’s message is important one that churches have forgotten.

We live in an age where religion is almost worn as an accessory, people would rather say they are Christians then go out and actually be one. Churches are dying because
Jacob
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Halfway through the book I would've given this 5 stars but it really crashed in the second half of the book. There is a lot of good in it but a couple really dangerous principles that could get believers in trouble and lead them to attribute things to God that simply are not from Him. In particular his story about telling the unbeliever that God would show her how much he loved her by making it snow in the next 24 hrs sets a dangerous precedent for Christians to follow. This coupled later by his ...more
Alexander Rivas
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
I heard this author on "The School of Greatness" podcast and I enjoyed the interview so much I decided to read this book. The book describes how I have imagined a Christian should live his life. Being someone who has read the Holy Bible several times front to back, I am uncomfortable calling myself a Christian. This is because I know how special and an honor it is to call yourself a Christian. If everyone taught as I do there would very few people that would call themselves Christians and I am n ...more
Jeremy Piehler
Ok

I’m a big fan of Erwin. I love listening to him and find that he often proposes new and thought provoking concepts. So I’m not sure if what I am about to share is the product of reading what was new over a decade ago.

There were a number of great insights and thought provoking claims. I went back and forth between wanting Erwin to be right and the inescapable feeling that the Barbarian way is a hipster version David Platt’s Radical. I also grow tired of empty critiques of Christianity. Often th
Karen
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm read this for a leadership class I'm taking and I think I high-lighted most of the book-- there are that many great lines in it! It was convicting for sure and I can't wait to unpack this one with my classmates this coming week. It challenged me in my 'Christianity' and to think of it as more of "me standing before my Creator-- and doing what HE is calling me to do, not my religion"

Why only a 4? Because I did "really like it" but didn't "it was amazing"-- mainly the language as I'm not a Bra
Brannon Shortt
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Perhaps the tragedy of our time is that such an overwhelming number of us who declare Jesus as Lord have been domesticated – or, if you will, civilized. We have lost the simplicity of early faith.”

“To be filled with the Spirit of God is to be filled with dreams and visions that are too compelling to ignore. Live or die, succeed or fail, barbarians must pursue and attempt search dreams and visions.”

“...And if it means a life of suffering, hardship, and disappointment, it will be worth it because
Jessica
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts of a born again refined Christian.

The Author of this insanely amazing book is a man of God's heart. I am an individual learning how to Let go and Allow God to do what it is He has set forth to do. In reading this totally profound piece of literature I can only pray the barbarian within us all is released upon society. So they can know we are in the world and not of it! Truly inspiring for the destiny God has entrusted within me. I have been blessed by this Authors words and his movement
Amber
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great book from Erwin! He always challenges me to think about what it truly means to be a follower of Jesus! If we think about Jesus life and his disciples, they did live an unconventional self sacrificing and purposeful life..why should it be any different today? As Christians, we should be living lives that look differently than others..lives that take faith and love! He has challenged me once again to step up my prayer life, my discipleship and my trust in moving forward in faith ...more
Arthur James
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Read by Erwin McManus!

I have come to enjoy the challenge of reading a book by Pastor McManus. Although this like most I have read by the author are page turners, I am always challenged to be a more courageous leader and follower of Jesus Christ after a reading a book by Erwin McManus.

This book is for anyone who has a vision form God and who simply want to fulfil the God given calling on their life by merely being obedient to the will, way, and Word of God.
if you buy and read this
Kelly
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
“To have the Spirit of God dwelling within the heart of someone who chooses a domesticated faith is like having a tiger trapped within a cage. You are not intended to be a spiritual zoo where people can look at God in you from a safe distance. You are a jungle where the Spirit roams wild and free in your life. You are the recipient of the God who cannot be tamed and of a faith that must not be tamed. You are no longer a prisoner of time and space, but a citizen of the kingdom of God – a resident ...more
Teresa
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not great writing, but easy to read and gave me something to think about... again. I like the imagery that church community has become domesticated and instead it ought to resemble the celtic barbarians. But I wonder what the wives of those celtic barbarians were like. Having a meek and gentle spirit doesn't seem to be what McManus is thinking of.
Payton Linder
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Barbarian Way was a great read for anyone looking to dive deeper in faith and to locate their tribe. Faith comes with patience and understanding of the unknown. Chasing after something you cannot see and half the time you cannot understand. It opens your eyes to see who is around you and who you really need around you.
Stanley Turner
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book from the pastor of Mosaic Church. I feel the work could be better if he gave more insight into the Barbarian Way and an untamed faith. He does cover why we need to unleash our untamed faith. Organized religion seems to have become too safe. A.W. Tozer lamented this fact in his work The Pursuit of God. Overall not a bad book that could be expanded upon...SLT
Jessika
I was a bit apprehensive about the title since the gospel is not quite violent, self-serving, egotistical, irrational, cruel or unsophisticated as the definition of the word barbarian; but I do get the point of the author on a raw gospel. Examine all things; retain that which is good, get rid of what is not.
Dave Rench
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent book.
Talks to the "domestication" of our faith, instead of being warriors on the front lines. Talks of taking risks and not just doing what is safe. We need more unsafe followers of Jesus, who aren't afraid to jump.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Searching for God Knows What
  • In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars
  • unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity... and Why It Matters
  • A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey
  • Stuff Christians Like
  • Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
  • The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? the Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World
  • Jesus Is: Find a New Way to Be Human
  • I Declare War: Four Keys to Winning the Battle with Yourself
  • The Spirit of the Disciplines : Understanding How God Changes Lives
  • Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
  • Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
Erwin Raphael McManus is an iconoclast known as a cultural pioneer for his integration of creativity and spirituality. He is an artist, entrepreneur, and cultural thought leader who is also the founder of MOSAIC, a community of faith in Los Angeles California. Known for their innovation, creativity, and artistry, MOSAIC has been named one of the most influential and innovative churches in America. ...more

News & Interviews

“This is perhaps why so many of us who know love fear love. We know that love is not the absence of pain. If anything, love is the promise of pain. No one has loved more deeply than God. Has anyone ever been more betrayed? God would not know suffering if He did not know love. But because He is Love, He chose to suffer on our behalf. Without love there is no glory in suffering.” 2 likes
“God is not a drug, and He certainly does not create experiences and emotions that make us feel better but not become better.” 1 likes