Start by marking “Following in the Footsteps of Henry Tudor: A Historical Journey from Pembroke to Bosworth” as Want to Read:

The story of Henry Tudor's march to Bosworth and the throne of England began long before the fatal summer of 1485, with his birth in Pembroke Castle. The gigantic fortress where he spent his childhood years lay some 12 miles inland from the spot where Henry was supposed to have landed in Milford Haven when he came to challenge Richard III in August 1485.Henry's landing and ...more
Paperback
Published September 4th 2019 by Pen and Sword History

To ask other readers questions about Following in the Footsteps of Henry Tudor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Following in the Footsteps of Henry Tudor

Donna Maguire
My review will be live on my blog on 30th September 2019!

I am a massive fan of the Tudor period and I have devoured many books that cover this era. Living pretty much on the doorstep of the location of the famous battle between King Richard III and Henry Tudor which started the now famous Tudor dynasty I am always intrigued when there is a book released by an unknown author to me.

I thought that the layout of the book was great and I really enjoyed the author’s writing style. He has a really good
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

A good overview of important places in Henry VII's rise to the throne. It starts from birth and takes you through the battle that made him king. It's short but it had a lot of information packed in it. I liked how Carradice used as many primary sources as he could, but also leaned on some other recent authors who have written on this topic. I'd definitely have this on my shelf if I can ever find a cheap copy of it somewhere!
Kat Ayres
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read many non-fiction books. Truth be told, I usually find them boring. This book, however, managed to tell me all about the history of Henry Tudor in a way that actually kept me reading. It’s non-fiction, but engaging. I know a considerable amount about his descendants, but knew next to nothing about the man himself, so I’m glad I got to read this.

Thank you NetGalley and Pen & Sword History for the chance to review this book.
Shar
Aug 26, 2019 is currently reading it
When I first began reading Following in the Footsteps of Henry Tudor – I had a few issues, namely the reader is told ‘Enshrined in British history as the War of the Roses after the emblems of the two houses – the white rose of Lancaster, the red rose of York’ (Kindle Loc 185) this is an error the white rose belongs to York and the red rose is the emblem of the house of Lancaster.

The author also refers repeatedly to Thomas Stanley as Henry’s Father-in-Law whereas he was Henry’s Step-Father.

At on
Miss A
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Following in the footsteps of Henry Tudor: A historical journey between Pembroke and Bosworth by Phil Carradice

We are all aware that Henry Tudor was the founder of the Tudor dynasty. A dynasty that lasted for 122 years. The Tudors are mostly remembered for Henry VIII and Elizabeth I but how much is known about the life of Henry leading up to the famous Battle of Bosworth?

Carradice succeeds in writing this to read as a novel with excerpts of contemporary evidence thrown in. The evidence is prese
Joyce
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I read the Kindle edition.

This book is a detailed and comprehensive study of the life of Henry Tudor, who was to become King Henry VII. I have read a great deal about Henry VII and his marriages and children, but not very much on Henry VII. I was anxious to read more about his history. The book is well documented and pulls from references such as Polydore Vergil (Henry's chronicler), a contemporary of Henry Tudor's. Many treatises of Henry's landing in Wales with his troops were written y
Ionia
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are a startling lack of books about Henry VII, so I was pleased to see this one appear on Netgalley. Whilst this is not an intensely long book, it gives the history in a detailed enough way that you feel better informed after reading it and in such a manner that it is not simply a dry, historical account as so many of these books tend to be.

The author does not go deeply into the later politics of Henry VII when he would suffer a lack of support from his people due to taxation and other mat
Jennifer Lynch
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although I have read many books about the Tudors, the life of Henry VII before he became King is often glossed over so I was glad to be given the opportunity to read Following in the Footsteps of Henry Tudor: A Historical Journey from Pembroke to Bosworth. I found this book to be an interesting and well researched look at Henry's life from his departure from Pembroke to escape the clutches of Edward IV, his life in Brittany, his return to Wales and his journey to Bosworth. The writing was engagi ...more
Rebeca Núñez
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
** Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with the digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review **
La verdad es que la historia de los Tudor me resulta fascinante, por lo que desde un comienzo este libro corría con ventaja. La lectura ademas es bastante fácil y amena, el autor logra que prácticamente veamos todo de verdad por los ojos del protagonista. Disfrute de lo que me transmitía sobre los lugares que recorrió, y ya quiero tener la oportunidad de verlos yo misma
Anglophile Bookworm
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
An accurate account of the Wars of the Roses and Henry Tudor's life; from his birth, adolescence and exile to his return and his ascend to the throne after defeating King Richard III on 22 August 1485 (The Battle of Bosworth).

An interesting book for those who would like to know more about the least known of all the Tudor kings and queens, whose reign lasted 24 years and laid the foundations for the most powerful dynasty Britain had ever seen.

Thanks to NetGalley and Pen & Sword History for a
Rebecca
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is well researched and looks at the life of the first, and most overlooked Tudor king.
It is written to be easily accessible with fun anecdotes and interesting facts,
If you want a deep scholarly tome then this isn’t for you, but it Is a lively and enjoyable read trip through Henry’s reign.
I was given a ARC by NetGalley, all opinions are my own.
Alexandra
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice look at his life and the family he was born into. Nice for those who like English or royal history. You are getting a decent amount of information with some primary quotes/information put throughout.
Linda