Start by marking “Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  935 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews

We are all, as Erwin Raphael McManus states, broken pieces of the image of God. And as Christians, too often we talk about God's ability to change lives without fully understanding how to access that power.

The reason is simple: we ourselves have never been radically transformed. McManus explains how many people unknowingly block God from changing us and teaches readers t

Published August 27th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published September 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Uprising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uprising

Dion
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Solid book on character. I think most people need a book like this. I tried to get a group of guys that I hang with to read it but they all crapped out on me :(

I still think everyone needs to read something like this, especially those of us who are Christ-followers... It's challenging and pastoral.
Martine
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I read this back in 2005 on a flight from Kazakhstan. I remember highlighting most of the book and unable to put it down. I can't remember a lot of the content... but I believe it was used by God as part of my transformation into knowing Him more. I recommend this book.
Wes F
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and have a good number of quotes from it to digitize. My favorite section was the one that discussed perseverance/endurance--with its resultant fruit of wisdom. Don't most of us want to become wiser and to have more wisdom for the challenges of our own lives--as well as to be able to help others? It all starts with being faithful in the little things and persevering through the smaller issues/difficulties--and as character is developed through those trials (James 1), w ...more
Tyler
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it
This was my least favorite of Erwin's books. It is still filled with great thoughts, but I found it to be a really difficult read. It could have just been the time in my live that I was reading it, because I have several friends who have very similar taste in books, that absolutely loved this one. I'll just say that if you like other books from this author, you'd probably get a lot out of this as well.
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another great book from Erwin. His notes on gratitude was convicting. Lots of great quotes. Some of the ones I will try to hold on to are:
"When we grow in wisdom of God, we begin to recognize that everything connects."

"All of life is sacred. Because creation so naturally meets our needs, we must not for a moment think we have no need for its Creator. Creation is here to draw us back to God."
Jonathan
May 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
A tough read I had to fight to finish. McManus has more than a few insights. However, his manner of writing is so confusing and frustrating that the objective often gets lost in the woods. The result is a book that you constantly want to put back on your shelf. This book should be reduced to a pamphlet.
James
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
McManus is the modern day St. John of the Cross. He has something to say, but he only says it in broad, intangible language. I saw wisdom in his writing, but not teaching. Insight but not application. I was dying for a story or an illustration to bear out his points. Overall, his insights make it worth the read though, especially toward the very end of the book.
Thomas Kinsfather
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
What makes a life significant? McManus speaks about the foundations of a meaningful life of character as only he can. Erwin's words are always challenging and full of hope. The follower of Jesus can lead a life of significance, not by way of discipline, but by transformation. Uprising is a wonderful picture of what a follower of Jesus looks like.
Jesse Braswell
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
The love of God is a strange but wonderful truism in this world. In order to understand it, we have to experience it fully. Then we can not help but to show it. It flows through us.

Erwin does a great job of getting us to examine ourselves. He causes me to look at things through new eyes. Love his examples.
Ebookwormy1
May 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Read it. liked it. McManus is a wierd and engaging bird. Some good discussion in our group. But it didn't stick with me. Perhaps to profound, or maybe McManus is just in a creative zone beyond me, to make a practical, lasting, impact.
Katherine
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: character
If you want to dig deeper on what's more about your faith in Jesus, read this. At the end I realized I was just about .9% of what's really in store for me. God is indeed bigger than what big actually means!
David Herrick
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
I had a really really hard time getting into this book. There was some good stuff sprinkled throughout, but as a whole it just never really connected with me for some reason. It's basically a book about having good character. Others might enjoy it, but I didn't like it that much.
Jordan Barr
I love the break down of key Christian virtues. It truly gave me some insight into tough concepts. Don't just live, live to the fullest. Christianity is not dull and this book will help you figure out how to never let it be.
Justin
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished, religion
As much as I loved Chasing Daylight, I was surprised that I couldn't get into this one at all. A few times I felt inspired or motivated, but either the author or I couldn't sustain it. Maybe I'll return to it another time.
Walt Walkowski
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I took too long to read this book. I need to read it again. I found it to be very enlightening and convicting, but I do think he could've said the same things in a few less pages.
Crystal
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Uplifting. Genuine. Good writing and plainly understood.
Cone
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must-read book tht talks about courage, wisdom and generosity from an eternal perspective with the goal of full character transformation to conform to the likeness of Christ
Chris Wheatley
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
felt like he was trying to much.
Ryan Johnson
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my top 10 reads of all time
Maya
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book articulates a lot of ideas about how to actually walk with Christ. A very solid book on character, backed in Christian faith. However, it often feels very secular- Take that as you will.
Larry
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
great book
Carey Oster
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Went through this book with a Bible study group and really enjoyed it.
Ron Lohrbach
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: candace
Recommended to Ron by: C
Erwin McManus challanged me with Biblical truth and life application. Recommend it for those similiar to me on a spiritual journey.
Nikki
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Good, easy to read, and easy to intricate into your own life and spiritual journey
Christy Lee
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review
Brian
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
my favorite mcmanus book! great character development book.
Amy Ivey
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the talk that led to this speak. Erwin is a gifted writer and powerful speaker!
Crizzle
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Inspiring and uplifting; great lines & quotes, per usual with McManus. Book study at church.
Renee
Oct 07, 2009 rated it liked it
It wasn't bad, but a lot of it seemed repetitive...some good lines and stories.
Gene Jennings
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
I like Erwin's insights. He is very quotable. I always read his books with a pen ready to underline his unique thoughts.
  • The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus
  • The Story We Find Ourselves in: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian
  • Tell It Slant: A Conversation on the Language of Jesus in His Stories and Prayers (Spiritual Theology #4)
  • This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God
  • Revolution
  • The Best Question Ever
  • Prayer and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance: Finding God on the Open Road
  • Promises for a Jesus Freak
Erwin Raphael McManus is an iconoclast known as a cultural pioneer for his integration of creativity and spirituality. He is an artist, entrepreneur, and cultural thought leader who is also the founder of MOSAIC, a community of faith in Los Angeles California. Known for their innovation, creativity, and artistry, MOSAIC has been named one of the most influential and innovative churches in America. ...more
More about Erwin Raphael McManus...

“To be apathetic is literally to be without passion.” 16 likes
“The first and most important step in the process of becoming genuinely is to be once again authenticated by the original designer.” 10 likes