Start by marking “Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul” as Want to Read:
Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul

Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul

Warning: This book may not be for you!

This book is dangerous!

It is only for those who are ready to join an uprising?a revolution of the soul that will change an ordinary life into an extraordinary one. It is only for those who want something more out of life, who desire to tap into the divine potential that was placed in them at their creation.

You were in God's imagination
Published August 27th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published September 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Uprising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uprising

Start your review of Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
Dion
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Solid book on character. I think most people need a book like this. I tried to get a group of guys that I hang with to read it but they all crapped out on me :(

I still think everyone needs to read something like this, especially those of us who are Christ-followers... It's challenging and pastoral.
Martine
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I read this back in 2005 on a flight from Kazakhstan. I remember highlighting most of the book and unable to put it down. I can't remember a lot of the content... but I believe it was used by God as part of my transformation into knowing Him more. I recommend this book.
Nathalie Grandeza
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is just so full of wisdom. Wisdom that is not easy to swallow. It has a lot of information that would make me change my way of looking at things. It made me admire the author. Indeed, he made a revolution in my soul.
Liam
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m pretty sure I read this back when I first became a believer. I remember it being very good, but looking back I may have some reservations on the theology. But mostly I forget entirely. 4 stars I guess?...
Austin St John
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. Challenging and life transforming.
Josh Morales
Some really good illustrations. Erwin is great at taking deep concepts and making them easily understood.
Debora
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good reminder to a sedated soul like mine. Helped me find that zeal again.
Mark Kemen
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book for contemplative self reflection.
Justin Nichols
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Interesting thing about this: I started it back in 2009, but only made it a couple pages into chapter 2. I know I would've gotten some good stuff out of it back then, but I know for certain that having read it now, at this age and in this season, I got ten times more out of it. McManus delivered the incredibly wise content with such passion and grace, challenging the readers in the best way to experience the different areas of growth in the journey: the gauntlets to or quests for ...more
Wes F
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and have a good number of quotes from it to digitize. My favorite section was the one that discussed perseverance/endurance--with its resultant fruit of wisdom. Don't most of us want to become wiser and to have more wisdom for the challenges of our own lives--as well as to be able to help others? It all starts with being faithful in the little things and persevering through the smaller issues/difficulties--and as character is developed through those trials (James 1), w ...more
Tyler
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it
This was my least favorite of Erwin's books. It is still filled with great thoughts, but I found it to be a really difficult read. It could have just been the time in my live that I was reading it, because I have several friends who have very similar taste in books, that absolutely loved this one. I'll just say that if you like other books from this author, you'd probably get a lot out of this as well.
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another great book from Erwin. His notes on gratitude was convicting. Lots of great quotes. Some of the ones I will try to hold on to are:
"When we grow in wisdom of God, we begin to recognize that everything connects."

"All of life is sacred. Because creation so naturally meets our needs, we must not for a moment think we have no need for its Creator. Creation is here to draw us back to God."
Jonathan
May 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
A tough read I had to fight to finish. McManus has more than a few insights. However, his manner of writing is so confusing and frustrating that the objective often gets lost in the woods. The result is a book that you constantly want to put back on your shelf. This book should be reduced to a pamphlet.
Jesse Braswell
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
The love of God is a strange but wonderful truism in this world. In order to understand it, we have to experience it fully. Then we can not help but to show it. It flows through us.

Erwin does a great job of getting us to examine ourselves. He causes me to look at things through new eyes. Love his examples.
Thomas Kinsfather
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
What makes a life significant? McManus speaks about the foundations of a meaningful life of character as only he can. Erwin's words are always challenging and full of hope. The follower of Jesus can lead a life of significance, not by way of discipline, but by transformation. Uprising is a wonderful picture of what a follower of Jesus looks like.
James
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
McManus is the modern day St. John of the Cross. He has something to say, but he only says it in broad, intangible language. I saw wisdom in his writing, but not teaching. Insight but not application. I was dying for a story or an illustration to bear out his points. Overall, his insights make it worth the read though, especially toward the very end of the book.
David Herrick
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
I had a really really hard time getting into this book. There was some good stuff sprinkled throughout, but as a whole it just never really connected with me for some reason. It's basically a book about having good character. Others might enjoy it, but I didn't like it that much.
Ebookwormy1
May 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Read it. liked it. McManus is a wierd and engaging bird. Some good discussion in our group. But it didn't stick with me. Perhaps to profound, or maybe McManus is just in a creative zone beyond me, to make a practical, lasting, impact.
Justin
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished, religion
As much as I loved Chasing Daylight, I was surprised that I couldn't get into this one at all. A few times I felt inspired or motivated, but either the author or I couldn't sustain it. Maybe I'll return to it another time.
Jordan Barr
I love the break down of key Christian virtues. It truly gave me some insight into tough concepts. Don't just live, live to the fullest. Christianity is not dull and this book will help you figure out how to never let it be.
Katherine
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: character
If you want to dig deeper on what's more about your faith in Jesus, read this. At the end I realized I was just about .9% of what's really in store for me. God is indeed bigger than what big actually means!
Chris Wheatley
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
felt like he was trying to much.
Terry Farber
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A challenging book both to read and to apply.
Brian
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
my favorite mcmanus book! great character development book.
Ron Lohrbach
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: candace
Recommended to Ron by: C
Erwin McManus challanged me with Biblical truth and life application. Recommend it for those similiar to me on a spiritual journey.
Stephanie
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it
I never finished it. I'm not sure if it was McManus' writing style or the book it self. It didn't seem very revolutionary or different
Renee
Oct 07, 2009 rated it liked it
It wasn't bad, but a lot of it seemed repetitive...some good lines and stories.
Crystal
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Uplifting. Genuine. Good writing and plainly understood.
Walt Walkowski
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-living
I took too long to read this book. I need to read it again. I found it to be very enlightening and convicting, but I do think he could've said the same things in a few less pages.
Cone
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must-read book tht talks about courage, wisdom and generosity from an eternal perspective with the goal of full character transformation to conform to the likeness of Christ

• The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society
  • Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth
  • The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical
  • The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of
  • Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope that Matters
  • Mere Christianity
  • The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
  • Silent September
  • The Spirit Himself
  • The Alpine Path: The Story of My Career
  • Life Without Lack: Living in the Fullness of Psalm 23
  • Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus
  • The Story Girl (The Story Girl, #1)
  • The Book of Job
  • Sacred Fire: A Vision for a Deeper Human and Christian Maturity
Erwin Raphael McManus is an iconoclast known as a cultural pioneer for his integration of creativity and spirituality. He is an artist, entrepreneur, and cultural thought leader who is also the founder of MOSAIC, a community of faith in Los Angeles California. Known for their innovation, creativity, and artistry, MOSAIC has been named one of the most influential and innovative churches in America. ...more

News & Interviews

“To be apathetic is literally to be without passion.” 16 likes
“The first and most important step in the process of becoming genuinely is to be once again authenticated by the original designer.” 10 likes