What do you think?
Rate this book
348 pages, Kindle Edition
First published May 2, 2019
"Who do you think I am, an amateur?"Move aside, Nancy Drew! There's a new teen detective in town. And she won't rest until she's unearthed all your secrets and gotten to the bottom of a mystery that has long held her town captive.
“Pip wished she was strong enough, but she’d learned that she wasn’t invincible; she too could break.”
“Pip knew a great many things; she knew that hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia was the technical term for the fear of long words.”
“I found these statistics: 80% of missing people are found in the first twenty-four hours. 97% are found in the first week, and 99% of cases are resolved in the first year. That leaves just 1%. 1% of people who disappear are never found. And just 0.25% of all missing persons cases have a fatal outcome."
“What's wrong with me? ... I might seem like the ideal student: homework always in early, every extra credit and extracurricular I can get my hands on, the good girl and the high achiever. But I realized something just now: it's not ambition, not entirely. It's fear. Because I don't know who I am when I'm not working, when I'm not focused on or totally consumed by a task. Who am I between the projects and the assignments, when there's nothing to do? I haven't found her yet and it scares me."
“Your efficiency offends me.”
“Half less of a bad thing meant there was room for half good.”
“The people you love weren’t algebra: to be calculated, subtracted, or held at arm’s length across a decimal point.”
"But sometimes remembering isn't for yourself, sometimes you do it just to make someone else smile. Those lies were allowed."
“Pip wished she was strong enough, but she learned that she wasn’t invincible; she too could break.”
”I’m not sure I’m the good girl I once thought I was. I’ve lost her along the way.”
“You know, you use humor as a defense mechanism when you’re tense?”❤️🩹
“Yeah, and you turn into a smartass.”
”You bring the rain down on them, Pip.”