Start by marking “My Left Foot” as Want to Read:
My Left Foot

My Left Foot

The warm, humorous and true story of christy Brown's supreme courage and triumph over the severest of handicaps.
Published by Mandarin Paperback (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about My Left Foot, please sign up.
NAMIK SOMEL Christy' nin şansı annesinin desteği kuşkusuz. Başarısı ise bu desteğin verdiği cesaretle olağanüstü çalışmaktan geçiyor. Yani sorunun her iki şıkkı d…moreChristy' nin şansı annesinin desteği kuşkusuz. Başarısı ise bu desteğin verdiği cesaretle olağanüstü çalışmaktan geçiyor. Yani sorunun her iki şıkkı da doğru.. Çalışmak ve şanslı olmak !(less)

Start your review of My Left Foot
Petra-X
This book is all about character. If you are going to have to live with the kind of disability that hides your intelligence, as cerebral palsey did Christy Brown's, and you want to live as full a life as possible, then two things are indispensible. One is a supporter with a great strength of character who will enable you to do whatever you can. The other is to have great strength of character yourself and maintain it when all around you see only your disability, not your glowing intelligence, ta ...more
Paul
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
4.5 stars rounded up
This is Christy Brown’s account of his early life, published in 1954 when he was twenty-two. Brown was the tenth of twenty-two children (thirteen of whom survived). Brown was diagnosed with severe cerebral palsy and his parents were told that they ought to put him into an institution and forget about him because he would be a “mental defective”. It was the determination of his mother, not giving up on him, that proved decisive.
The story is well –known through the film starri
Dimitri
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
the next time you complain because you got no shoes
take a look at the man on the next stool
the man has got no feet, no toes to play the blues

Dale Watson's cautionary song would've made a decent epitaph for Brown, whose autobiography chronicles his struggle to compensate for the one thing he lacked: a body that obeyed him. Luckily, he had the three most important things in the world: a good brain, an iron spirit and a loving mother.

The only problem with a mid-life autobiography is the lack of ar
K.D. Absolutely
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: 501, drama, memoirs
This is a true story of a man's triumph over odds. Boy, what he went through in life? It was just unspeakably sad. Christy Brown (1932-1981) was born to a poor Irish family. He had 13 surviving siblings. He was born with cerebral palsy but he became a writer (this book is an autobiography) and a painter. His only way to communicate and coherently express himself is by using his left foot. Imagine yourself if you could not use your hands, you could not walk, you could not speak properly and the ...more
Dimitri

The only problem with a mid-life autobiography is the lack of ar
Alida
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, non-fiction
Several amazing things about Christie Brown: he was one of 22 children born to one woman, he is an Irish author with a happy childhood, and most of all, crippled by cerebral palsy he wrote and painted with his left foot, the only part of his body he had control over.
Mrs.Morgan
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am always looking for new biographies/autobiographies/memoirs to add to my classroom library and this one fell into my lap by a current student. I ordered my own copy and flew through it within a day (not that it was challenging to do) so that I could ensure the inclusion of it in my classroom by the end of February vacation. That in itself may have been one of the downfalls, ending in my 2-star rating.

Christy Brown's life was incredible and his talents, abundant. Let me start by saying that m
Ibrahim
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
ENG: At first, we can think that "What is the exact novelty of this book?" because we think we know all the necessary things about handicapped people's life. However, being able to see the world through the eyes of Christy Brown and understand it in very many different ways was a very extraordinary experience for me. This kind books hold a great power of forming a sense of emphaty and notion for handicapped people in fictional basis.
--------------
AZE: Kristi Braun dünyaya beyin iflici qurbanı o
Stephanie Terry

I very rarely read autobiographies because more often than not the information inside has already been made public, or the subject of the autobiography is so far removed from the actual writing of the novel that it might as well be fiction. However, 'My Left Foot' was surprisingly different. Though it was only 184 pages, I feel like I got to know Christy Brown and his struggles inside and out. His strength, determination and belief in himself really spoke to me as did the unending support and lo
Silk ♛
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

My Left Foot told an amazing tale. The writing, however, was subpar. My teacher also reviewed this book, and she said something along the lines of, "He told. He didn't show." This is absolutely true. While his story was absolutely amazing, and would have gotten five stars from me alone, I'm afraid that because of the style of writing I cannot give that five stars. But the fact that he wrote it with his left foot is pretty amazing.

My Left Foot is the story of Christy Brown, a man who ha
Kasia
Awwwwwwwwwwww, Christy Brown, you're my Hero!!!!!!!

Now, word of explanation: I'm a big sap for books like this. Books about painters and artists. Books about people being dealt the short end of the stick and making it nonetheless.

So even though I've watched the movie way, way back (worth watching btw My Left Foot (1989)). Even though I knew the story inside out. Reading this, made me all weepy in a good way once again.

My only grievance? The ending was too abrupt, and left me wanting more. More!
Naaz
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-books
I first read an excerpt from this book in one my English textbooks a good 10 or 11 years ago and remember being fascinated by it. When I saw it purely by chance while browsing through the library earlier this month, I was immediately reminded of that textbook and picked it up straightaway so that I could finally read the full version and find out what happened before and after that excerpt left off.

This was an inspiring story about disability and the resilience of the human spirit. I could feel
Grayce
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely inspiring. Christy Brown was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at a time when not much was known about it. His mother refused to listen to what the doctors told her, knowing that her son had a physical impairment but not an intellectual one. Her confidence and his drive were the perfect pair. Together they proved everyone wrong. Christy provides a candid, first hand account of the struggles and triumphs he encountered with having cerebral palsy using only his left foot to do so.
Zainab Al saba'a
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read fiction almost exclusively, therefore I am not sure how to rate an autobiography.

It is very inspiring and heart touching story of a man trapped in the prison of disability, in a body with cerebral palsy. He strive to break through and fight with no weapons except the determination of his left foot.
Willie Kirschner
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book I read many years ago and then saw the film with Daniel Day Lewis. A humorous and touching story that was one of the best books I read.
Teun Voost
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an incredible autobiography. Christy Brown is a true inspiration.
Henry Wright
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves five stars just for being written. It is so hard to imagine the authors voice trapped inside his mind, limited to oral grunts for so many years.
Ingrid
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Left Foot is the 1954 autobiography of Christy Brown, who was born with cerebral palsy on June 5, 1932 in Dublin, Ireland.

In “My Left Foot” a lot of major themes, which often appear Irish literature, occur. A theme which is addressed is poverty. Compared to other books by Irish authors it is not that dominant, as Christy himself does not care about money at all. He is happy with what he has, joyful in his own world, living together with his family.
A often reoccurring theme in books in general
Kirk
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I was deeply moved by the film and sought out the source. All I could find was this cheapo paperback that was published at the time of the film. I was annoyed with its inconsistent spelling of names (Katriona on one page and Katrina on another).

Story-wise, it spent far more time on Christy's treatment and his mental state regarding the treatment and his condition than did the film. The end result is that, after the first third, this read more like a book on the treatment of cerebral palsy than
Deborah
His particular attestation that affected me most:
"Speech has always been one of the biggest obstacles in my endeavour to make ordinary contact with people. It has been the one aspect of my handicap that has caused me the bitterest pain, for without speech one is practically lost, curtained off from other people, left wishing to say a million things and not able to say one. Writing is all very well, but there are some emotions that cannot be conveyed, that cannot be 'felt' through the written wo
Leslie
Picked this book for Book Riot's 2016 Read Harder challenge to read a book made into a movie and decide which was better.
Well, we all know the book is almost always better. So, I chose My Left Foot, because I remember seeing the movie when it came out and thinking the performances were brilliant; a five star, two thumbs up movie.
Watched it again this month, and I cannot fault this film. The story is happy, sad, inspiring, smart, and honest. In the book Christy Brown shares his trials, his grow
Alexis
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Christy Brown's autobiography is an autobiography that I would recommend for individuals interested in the history of cebral palsy tratment. Although Christy did not begin receiving medical treatment for his condition until he was 18 years of age, we learn much about his family's and society's view of disabilities at the time.

Christy's writing style is vivid and easy to follow. In reading his words, the reader is transported to a much different time in history, a time in which there were few ca
Donna
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very well written book by someone who is a prisoner in his own body due to cerebral palsy. I saw the excellent movie years ago with Daniel Day-Lewis and was anxious to read Mr Brown’s book. Those of us who are not disabled may take a lot for granted and should therefore read this book. The only part of the author’s body which he can use is his left foot but there is definitely nothing wrong with his mind. His observations and his wishes for a normal life are for basic things that most ...more
Nicole
Jul 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: tv-movie, hardcopy, dnf
I just didnt like it. I started to read it for school over the summer a few years ago but I jut couldnt do it. I had to stop reading it a few chapters in and in hopes it wouldnt effect my leaving cert.
I know I may come across as cold hearted or a bitch but I just could stand his bitterness even though I know he had every right in being so and he seemed in my opinion very self centered from what I had read. I was actully getting very frustrated while reading it that I just had to put the book dow
Day's
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Years ago, I saw the movie of the same title starring Daniel Day-Lewis. He won the oscar for his portrayal of Christy Brown who was born in 1932 with cerebral palsy. I was so impressed with Day-Lewis's performance that I still tell people they have to see the movie. Now that I've read the book, I'll be telling people they HAVE to read the book. It is an amazing story of how Brown was able to become a painter and writer with the support of his parents, 21 siblings and medical professionals who sa ...more
Steven
Great story, well told. The author overcomes so many hurdles, and the book itself may be his magnum opus. Just a remarkable achievement. I remembered but had never seen the movie. I’m sure it is excellent. But the book is amazing. While reading it, it is hard to remember that you are reading the memoir of a man so deeply afflicted by cerebral palsy that he never learned to speak clearly and lived his entire life unable to walk or feed himself. Yet, he accomplished so much.
Julia
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I agree with some people that it was a wee bit long at certain points, but I still loved it. It really fascinated me; the insight into such a great personality you would've never been able to get, if he hadn't written this book. It really makes you think about life and health and in a different way. At least it did that for me. Christy Brown seems to have been an amazing person.
Mekeisha
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great perspective on what it's like to have cerebral palsy. Christy Brown was born with cerebral palsy, but learned to write with his left foot when he was young. I would recommend this to anyone who works with special needs children or adults, because it helps people to see that even if someone's body is uncooperative, their mind can still be quite clear. Insightful reading.
Fatima
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and would definitely consider reading more books by this author. I found it filled with emotions, parts of it were so sad it made me feel for Christy but most of it was so inspirational. I found that as a disabled person myself i could relate to how he felt in places which made the book extra special for me
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Mo'nun Gizemi
  • Serenad
  • The Last Day of a Condemned Man
  • خورشيد را بيدار كنيم
Christy Brown was an Irish artist and writer. However in order to do both these things he could only use his left foot. Having been born with cerebral palsy this was the only
way he could express himself.
He was born in Dublin on the 5th June 1932. His mother was the first to notice that something was wrong. But it wasn't until he was just over a year - old that his parents sort medical help. By now