Start by marking “The Garden of Fertility” as Want to Read:
The Garden of Fertility

The Garden of Fertility

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In The Garden of Fertility, certified fertility educator Katie Singer explains how easy it is to chart your fertility signals to determine when you are fertile and when you are not. Her Fertility Awareness method can be used to safely and effectively prevent or help achieve pregnancy, as well as monitor gynecological health. Singer offers practical information, illuminated ...more
Published April 26th 2004 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about The Garden of Fertility, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Garden of Fertility

Special Way
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: field-guides
PLEASE LEARN ABOUT YOUR BODY AND YOUR PARTNER'S BODY! This is an indispensables handbook giving guidance on fertility/birth control charting. If you are opposed to the birth control industry and concept that every woman should be sexually available year round, you will find this book of great assistance. For those of you who think paying attention to fertility is just for women or just for heterosexuals, think again! Science is fun and taking charge of your reproductive health is priceless.
Liza
Mar 02, 2011 added it
Shelves: health, reference
So far this seems like a really good companion to Taking Charge of your Fertility. The author is very interested in Traditional Chinese Medicine and discusses the connection between that and so-called Western medicine, especially how they can compliment each other. The charts in this book seem more simple but also more limited, so I'd rather use TCOYF's charts. I think this has a better discussion of medical problems, especially PMS and cramps. It even mentions factors such as diet and night-lig ...more
Courtney
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Regardless of sexual activity levels or pregnancy plans, I believe every woman should understand and practice the concepts in this book as a means to appreciate and protect her body, because fertility signs are important indicators of overall health. I first read this book about 4 years ago, and at that time began charting my fertility signals simply out of curiosity. Then it became a useful tool once I got married, and now I am beginning to chart again after having my baby a couple months ago, ...more
Hilary
Oct 24, 2009 rated it liked it
This book had fantastic information about menstruation and a woman's cycle--basically all the stuff you didn't learn in school and really should have learned. The book tells you, in no uncertain terms, when you are fertile and when you are infertile, so that you can have monogamous, unprotected sex with no risk of pregnancy (yay!), but the rules only apply if your cycle is at least somewhat similar to a textbook, predictable cycle. Mine, I discovered, is not. Singer addresses the issue of what t ...more
Melissa
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women Everywhere
I've still got a bit of this book to finish, but it is really excellent. Women have become so disconnected from themselves, but this book really offeres incredible information about how to listen to/interpret what our bodies tell us every day. I really wish I'd know about this 10 years ago... While the first 1/2 is dedicated specifically to "Fertility Awareness" - which is NOT the same thing as the "Rhythm Method" - as a tool to avoid or enhance conception, the rest of the book discusses how FA ...more
Mindi Rosser
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mindi by: Weston A. Price Foundation
This book has taught me a great deal about my own female organs. I never quite understood my cycles' ebbs and flows. I feel empowered reading this book, as I can take control of my own femininity with pertinent knowledge. I would HIGHLY recommend this as a textbook to all schools teaching sex education. If parents are taking responsibility for educating their daughters, they should read and explain this book to their prepubescents.
Nikki
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all women and couples
Recommended to Nikki by: Amy Jones
Shelves: nonfiction, health
1/2/11: This is one of those times where telling Goodreads what I'm reading feels a little personal . . . and slightly embarrassing. BUT, after reading the first few chapters of this, I'm in agreement with the author that EVERY woman should know about this subject — both for "birth control" purposes and for monitoring her own health. Just the first four chapters have already made a huge difference in my perspective, especially the chapter about breast feeding.
Ramona Drozek
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fertility
This is a nice read for approaching female health with natural intentions. It doesn't advocate one process over another; simply presents the research that it has done on birth control and fertility.

A good read for women who are considering pregnancy or wishing to avoid it naturally. Without birth control pills.
diana
Mar 24, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: Women Trying to Conceive and Interested in Alternative Forms of Birth Control
I referred to this book daily when I was trying to conceive. Based on my personal history, I thought it would be very difficult to conceive. (I used to only cycle 3-4 times a year). By reading this book, I was able to track my cycle and pinpoint my ovulation to the day. It also really helps you to come in tune with your body.
Jeniann
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This book contains information about how to chart your fertility to know when it is best to try to conceive. It will help you to know if you have hormone imbalances that are affecting your ability to conceive. In addition, it has good nutritional and dietary information in how to best build your body for conception.
Aimee
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for any woman. It teaches you how to chart your cycle using a few different methods. Not only can you use this information to prevent or obtain pregnancy charting your cycle can also give you other infomation about your health in general.
April
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this book. It's easy to read and understand and has answered a lot of the questions that I have had about charting. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about getting pregnet, or even wants an alternative to prescribed birth control methods.
Kimberly
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A good companion to Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It goes over charting, achieving or avoiding pregnancy, mostly a repeat from TCOYF. But it also has several chapters on how you can understand other aspects of your health from your chart and your fertility signals.
Sam
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ladies!!! (and gentlemen who love them!!) This is the best resource I've seen for understanding cycles and how to know--scientifically--when you are fertile and when you are not. Healthy healthy healthy bodies, yay!!
Nicole
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Every woman should read and understand this!
Devon Hernandez
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for anyone considering going off traditional birth control pills, etc. and still wishing to plan on their own. A very handy guide book for natural family planning.
Emily
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good reference book and companion to Toni Weschler's Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Comprehensive appendix and easily understood explanations of charting, anatomy, and fertility.
Emily
Oct 17, 2009
Monica
Apr 24, 2017
Megan Seiler
rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Jan 02, 2016
Anida Orender brock
Apr 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

“When I called Nona Aguilar, author of The New No-Pill, No-Risk Birth Control (Simon & Schuster, 1986), I described my frustration that I was not acceptable to the training program at the Albuquerque clinic. “Well,” she said, respectfully, “I agree with that policy.” I leaned back in my chair. “Okay,” I said. “I don’t understand this. Please explain.” “Properly used,” she began, “sex is about emotional and psychological union. In our culture, artificial birth control—which feminists have strongly advocated—has made sex a recreational activity. Sex certainly can be recreational, but its potential is to be transcendent. Sex is the life-bearing force of humankind. When lovemaking is recreational, it’s a little like being color-blind during sunset over the Grand Canyon. Union becomes harder to experience, and that’s a loss.” With” 0 likes