Start by marking “Secrets Can Kill (Nancy Drew Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secrets Can Kill (Nancy Drew Files, #1)

Secrets Can Kill

(Nancy Drew Files #1)

Nancy poses as a student and goes undercover to investigate a series of thefts at Bedford High.
Mass Market Paperback, 152 pages
Published August 1st 1986 by Simon & Schuster (first published June 22nd 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets Can Kill, please sign up.
Emma Gifford The book is about a girl who goes undercover in various cases as she is a detective, in this book she goes to a high school to go undercover as a…moreThe book is about a girl who goes undercover in various cases as she is a detective, in this book she goes to a high school to go undercover as a student and try to find any clues about a mysterious theft but finds more than what she thought was in store. To answer your question about romance I would say yes indeed there is but only slightly, in this book she meets a student and falls in love with him, but she already loves another boy who helps her, in the end, solve her case.I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery detective work and a bit of romance and drama as this book has it all for you.(less)

Mari
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childhood-trauma
Original recap for the Snark Squad here.

We open the book with some chick looking at herself in a mirror and trying on clothes. JESSICA WAKEFIELD? ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?

No. It’s Nancy. Apparently 87% of all books geared towards teens must start with an attractive girl checking herself out in a mirror. I totally just made that statistic up, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

Nancy is trying on clothes because this book takes her to the hallways of Bedford High for her new case. Her friends George
Kavita
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
In 1986, the Nancy Drew Files were started off as a spin-off to the Nancy Drew series. This was the first spin-off on the original series, and featured a slightly older Nancy and crew. The series also upped the stakes slightly with much more danger, sometimes even resulting in murder. The adult relationships were also more intense, with Nancy and Ned beginning to have trouble. Overall, the Nancy Drew Files were meant for older readers. The first book in the series was Secrets Can Kill.

Nancy is c
Summer
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ok, here's what a nerd I am. I LOVED this series though I believe they came out before 1991 because I was in elementary and middle school at the time. My dad used to take me to Waldenbooks and I would buy 5 of these a week and read them. Sometimes I would stay up ALL night reading them. I loved them. I bet they're hokey now but this series rocked at the time.
Jerry
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Good: This book may have been published in 1986, but it has the feel of a '90's Disney Channel or Nickelodeon series; as a fan of such entertainment, that isn't a bad thing. The mystery is more serious, and the crimes more intense--one character even ends up dead!--which makes this decidedly different from the original old-school series, but it's also more fun. Nancy herself is a likable and strong character, though thankfully not a Mary Sue. All in all, pretty good stuff.

The Bad: I don't ha
Rajiv
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I used to love reading “Nancy Drew Files” when I was growing up. It’s one of the series that got me hooked into reading. I decided to re-read some these books in order to see if they are still as good as they were then. I am glad to say that this book still holds the charm as it did years ago. It’s so much fun to read about your favorite characters again like Bess, George, Ned and Hannah.

The story starts off easy where Nancy is just investigating petty vandalism in a school. However, once she go
Angel
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I love the Nancy Drew Files so much. I remember buying this book when it first came out, and I kept reading them until I went to college. When I was a teenager, the highlight of my life was going to town (we didn't live near any bookstores, so it was a once or twice a month trip) and buying the books from this series.
Manda
I should reread this cuz all I remember is my shock when she was making out with someone who was not Ned, and George and Bess caught her. That's it.
Kim
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, juvenile
More book nostalgia.... I loved the Nancy Drew Files when I was 9 or 10, and when I stumbled upon this in the library, I had to indulge. Not bad, and I was definitely right in remembering that each chapter ends with a cliffhanger, but I don't think this was one of the better mysteries in the series. I only wish I could find the one that taught me mixing ammonia and bleach created chlorine gas---that one was great!
Gwenn Wright
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Nancy Drew Files were some of my favorite books in grade school and middle school! What a blast from the past! I would love to read them again. They're sure to be in a box around here somewhere!
Kevin
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Was pleased to discover that the book was as good as I remembered after 30 years. (Of course, I used to say that there wasn't a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys book that I didn't like, too. Lol)
Amy
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reread in July 2017 and rating would probably be more of a 3 -3.5. I am leaving my rating since at one time I believed it to be a 4 star rating
Christa
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A modern day Nancy Drew. The crimes got more serious.
Brooke
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. I liked it because ot was really exciting and some suspense.
Autumn
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Danielle
I've read this book so many times it's not even funny. See, it's my road trip book and every time I get Death by Chocolate ice cream because it's a murder mystery. Yes, I know, but I started it when I was like 13 and I can't seem to (and don't want to) break the habit.

This reread, though, had nothing to do with road trips. I did read a bit in the car and had ice cream today, but alas, it was not Death by Chocolate. Anyway, this is completely off subject. On to the book!

Secrets Can Kill is the fi
Samantha Bartley
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Ehh...not my favorite. I was interested in reading it originally because I like to see how similar the games are from the books they're based off of, but this one didn't do it for me. I didn't like that Nancy was totally willing to cheat on Ned just because she could. I don't see that in her character at all. Plus, I'm not even sure what Nancy saw in Daryl. He was a pretty boring character with no real personality. I think we hear more about his "gorgeous blueberry eyes" than we do about his per ...more
Ekene
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Nancy Drew, along with the Babysitters' Club, was the series that got me into reading. I loved the The Nancy Drew Files since it went into the deeper side of mysteries, involving murder and hints of mature scenes. And I enjoyed this one. Quick read, definitely fun, gave me nostalgia feels
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, nancy-drew, ya
3.5 Stars

Challenges:
♥ Fly Around the World with AMMP: Clarksburg, WV (CKB)
Mom Chattopadhyay
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read the book in my school days. What a book!!!!!
Shannon
Hillarie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Oh, Nancy...
Josephine
I skimmed through this. It was a fun look at a 90s "classic" but not something I'd read today. I also think it was pretty crappy of Nancy to step out on Ned the way she did. He deserves better.
Belle Adler
As a character, I kind of loathe Nancy.
I like this series because of Ned and George, mainly, and because of the mystery. But Nancy? To me, she's just too perfect.
I like believable characters. Characters that have real, relatable problems and flaws.
Which she does not.
She is:
A talented chef
Supposedly a genius
Beautiful
Fluent in three languages (??)
An excellent skier and ice skater
A horseback rider
A sailor
An incredible
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
2005 edition. This is the first Nancy Drew Girl Detective book that I bought. I was attracted to it because it deals with a Civil War reenactment, and I happen to be very interested in the Civil War and wanted to see what kind of a story for Nancy Drew it would make.

The town is going to hold a reenactment and the townspeople are choosing which side they wish to fight on. Reflecting the actual feeling in some towns of that time, the people are divided, the majority wanting to fight with the Unio
Nattie
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to give this 2.5 stars, but as you know; no can do. It wasn't as entertaining as I was expecting, not bad, not good, OK.

There was one scene in the book where Nancy and her friends Bess and George are just about murdered by some crazy guys with rifles wearing black. They are able to get away from their would-be killers by nearly destroying Nancy's new car while racing away from the would-be killers who are in a van.

George, I believe, had the idea to stop the car in a jammed pizza parlor
Jeanna
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
***This somewhat has a spoiler, so please do not read it if you don't want to be spolied! Thank you!***

I love reading Nancy Drew books. I really enjoy her adventures with Bess, George and Ned and everyone else...so I wanted to read this book since it was teen setting. While I was reading, they introduced Daryl. And automatically Nancy and Daryl had an attraction to each other. I kind of knew Daryl had to do something with the case. I noticed he was kind of...clingy a little...I don't know exactl
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
I read Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys throughout my school and college days.
Nancy Drew is an amateur detective who solves crimes with occasional help from her best friends, Bess and George and, her boyfriend Ned. She also has occasional help from her father Carson Drew who runs a private law practice. From finding stolen goods to missing persons and solving mysterious happenings, Nancy is a force of nature.
Until I discovered that Carolyn Keene is a pen name for a whole bunch of ghostwriters, I used t
Miri
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew-read
The first book in the Nancy Drew Files series puts Nancy undercover at Bedford High to investigate vandalism and theft, the case quickly becomes more sinister when blackmail and murder come into play.

This series isn't as good as the original. Nancy is way more obsessed with boys and seems less adventuresome and self reliant and less focused on the mysteries. The series is sort of a pale version of the original Nancy Drew, but if you're looking for a taste of Nancy Drew the series isn't terrible
Elvira
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
men den var ju helt okej! har aldrig varit en Kitty-läsare så att den var så välskriven och lättläst var en sorts överraskning. men den var så hemsk stereotypisk. okej att det är flicka som är detektiv och liksom hjälte - men på slutet tycker hon iallafall hennes pojkvän ska sköta det hårda jobbet? okej ja, jag kanske är för kritisk. men det blev för mycket av allt klyschigt. hon är blond, träffar en snygg kille som hon nästan faller för och Kitty är bortskänd. men jag tyckte ändå mysteriet var ...more
Alyssa

• See No Evil (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #8)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Vanishing Victim (Trixie Belden, #33)
  • The Haunted Dollhouse (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Friends for Life (Friends, #1)
  • Kidnapped! (Sweet Valley High, #13)
  • The Graduation (Final Friends, #3)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew Files (1 - 10 of 124 books)
  • Deadly Intent (The Nancy Drew Files, #2)
  • Murder On Ice (Nancy Drew Files, #3)
  • Smile and Say Murder (Nancy Drew Files, #4)
  • Hit and Run Holiday (Nancy Drew Files, #5)
  • White Water Terror (Nancy Drew Files, #6)
  • Deadly Doubles (Nancy Drew Files, #7)
  • Two Points to Murder (Nancy Drew Files, #8)
  • False Moves (Nancy Drew Files, #9)
  • Buried Secrets (The Nancy Drew Files, #10)
  • Heart of Danger (Nancy Drew Files, #11)