Start by marking “Parents Wanted” as Want to Read:
Parents Wanted

Parents Wanted

When 12-year-old Andy meets Laurie and Jeff at an adoption party, he has already been in eight foster homes. Andy’s alcoholic mother has given him up to the state as “too hard to handle,” and his father is in jail. Andy longs for a loving home and parents he can trust, but his attention deficit disorder, combined with the legacy of his dysfunctional parents, causes him to ...more
Published August 28th 2001 by Milkweed Editions

To ask other readers questions about Parents Wanted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parents Wanted

Start your review of Parents Wanted
Kat Elle
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Andy Fleck doesn’t’ have much of a family. His dad has been in jail since Andy was ten and his mother gave him up to the state as “too hard to handle”.
A kid with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Andy has learned one set of rules from his birth dad (how not to get caught) and another from the kids at the state-run home (how to manipulate adults). Placed with adoptive parents Jess and Laurie, he has a chance to escape his past. But he can’t keep himself from challenging every limit that is set.
Naomi Kenorak
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adoption, childrens
“Like I said, Mom and Dad didn’t take very good care of me. I should really have surrendered them, but that’s not how it works. Parents can walk into this place called DSS – that’s the Department of Social Services – and sign some papers and get rid of a kid they don’t want. But if the kid doesn’t like all the drinking and shouting at home, he’s stuck with the parents. That isn’t fair.”

This is a really good book. Adults considering foster adopt or adopting a child who was previously in foster ca
Faith
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Andy's dad is in jail. Both his parents have "surrendered their rights" which is a legal way of saying that they don't want him anymore. He has finally been put with new foster parents. They think he is a good, well behaved child, but they were wrong. Andy easily gets in to trouble.

Reasons why I like this book-

Reason 1- I felt as if I was there.

Reason 2- It explains the life of a foster child.

Reason 3- I couldn't stop reading.
SJane
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Harrar does a great job of writing from inside the head of a child with ADHD. As a teacher, this helped me imagine the thought processes of some of my students and see that perhaps they really aren't doing things to intentionally tick me off... (on the other hand...)
Leon
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is very sad. What i learned from this book is that no matter what you have when you are a orphan a family will still want you.
Danibel CANANRIO
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
i ,ove this book because it also talks about real life.this book it sabout this kid who is homeless and live in a shelter people come and take him nut keep on passing him on and on
aarifa
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, ya, sad
I like how Andy narrates like he's actually thinking. I mean it like in a way when hes narrating but thinking at the same time. He's lovable i guess.... but didn't really get as attached to the characters as I thought I would.
78sunny
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Teilweise war es zwar etwas langweilig. Es gibt halt nicht wirklich Spannung und somit auf keinen Spannungsbogen. Interessant wurde es durch die wirklich überraschenden Gedanken und Erklärungen des 12jährigen Kinds das an einem Aufmerksamkeitsdefizit leidet. Gerade durch meine Arbeit mit solchen Kindern fand ich es sehr interessant seine Erklärungen zu seinen Problemen zu lesen. Auch seine Gründe zu den vielen Grenzüberschreitungen obwohl er weiß, dass er damit riskiert seine Pflegefamilie zu ve ...more
Mar 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
A great book for anyone who works with kids, it gives a real insight to what they think and feel, especially when their lives are far from perftct.
Ashwin
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i got to know how hard it is to live without parents by reading this awesome book...

Karen Siddall
Kate
Feb 17, 2014
Mikaela Pacheco
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
DRAMA. this one's one of the books i have read and finished reading! ❤
Charlene
Feb 10, 2012
Marianne
rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2011
Rachel Distefano
Jul 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• How Beautiful We Once Were
  • Who Will Love Me Now?: Neglected, abused and rejected. A little girl desperate for a home to call her own.
  • FCBD 2018: Amazing Spider-Man/Guardians of the Galaxy #1
  • Middle School, The Worst Years of My Life - Free Preview: The First 20 Chapters
  • Illustrated Would You Rather? (Silly Kids and Family Scenarios 1)
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
  • Please Stop Laughing at Me... One Woman's Inspirational Story
  • The Last Dog on Earth
  • To Life
  • Night Watch (Watch #1)
  • The Culling Trials 2 (Shadowspell Academy, #2)
  • A Fire Sparkling
I write fiction for middle grade readers through adults and hold the distinction of having had three novels published by three different publishers for three different age groups in a single year. REUNION AT RED PAINT BAY (Other Press) is my latest book, about a newspaper editor in Maine and his family who engage in a full-scale psychological battle with a stalker without even knowing it. The nove ...more