Start by marking “Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)

Princess in the Spotlight

(The Princess Diaries #2)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  49,785 ratings  ·  1,529 reviews
She's just a New York City girl living with her artist mom...
News Flash: Dad is prince of Genovia. (So that's why a limo meets her at the airport!)

Downer: Dad can't have any more kids. (So no heir to the throne.)

Shock of the Century: Like it or not, Mia Thermopolis is prime princess material.

Mia must take princess lessons from her dreaded grandmére, the dowager princess of
Published March 2002 by HarperTeen (first published June 26th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Princess in the Spotlight, please sign up.
Kamila / Fishtalking I Think it's bc in early 00s it was something fresh and new. And people who red it then now have sentimental feelings towards it. Like me, I know its…moreI Think it's bc in early 00s it was something fresh and new. And people who red it then now have sentimental feelings towards it. Like me, I know its not the best book ever ut I remember how much I liked it when I was in Mia age.(less)

·  49,785 ratings  ·  1,529 reviews

emma
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
WHY DIDN'T I START THIS REREAD LIKE A MILLION YEARS AGO???

I mean, honestly. These books:
- are the literary equivalent of a warm cinnamon roll (speaking of which: I'm going to go microwave a cinnamon roll so let's make this review quick, yeah?)
- take literally like 45 minutes to read
- are nostalgic af
- surprisingly, are pretty inoffensive for the early 2000s
- contain a romance you kinda root for??? And it's a slow burner! Hurray.

Bottom line: THIS REREAD WILL CONTINUE. Hard to say whether current
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I AM LOVING THIS SERIES IT IS SO ADORABLE OMG
Jessica
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars *reread
These books FLY by.. I JUST started this book and I feel like I haven't spent hardly any time reading it! While I still loved this book, I don't think it's AS good as the first, and I think it's closer to 4.5 stars.
Mia finally starts having to do more public Princess things like her big interview (man could you IMAGINE? I would have passed out probably..). In the first book she goes through a huge change finding out about being a princess.. this book has some really big changes
Shannon (leaninglights)
I simply adore these books. This one was equally as adorable as the first and I'm excited to get to the next one! I love Mia because she feels authentic to me - confused, unassuming and of course surprisingly intuitive. I really like how adults are portrayed in this series. They are in extraordinary circumstances but they are very real and flawed. I really can't say anything bad. Loved it all around! :)
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Reread on 4/29/15: I adore this series. All the 2001 pop culture references were pure gold. Can't wait to reread all the rest of the books as well!
Asha
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I still am not behind Mia and Lilly's friendship 100%. Also, I never realized how short a span these books cover. This one takes place only a month after Mia learns she's a princess. And she is still bemoaning her flat chestedness and height of 5'9. Come on, kiddo. It'll be okay.
Sophie
Wow, every time I re-read a Princess Diaries book, I just fall more and more in love with Mia. In A Royal Disaster, Mia has now come to terms with the fact that she is the sole heir to the Genovian throne, and is having daily princess lessons with her Grandmere to prepare for the upcoming visit to Genovia in December. She's also come to terms with her mother dating her algebra teacher, Mr Gianini. However, her mother being pregnant, and engaged, is a whole other thing entirely. On top of all thi ...more
Skinnerbox
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teenagers
Shelves: meg-c
This i very interesting book. I realy love M.C. books. I think she's very, very clever and modern. I realy like that Mia is a feminist;)
I luve Princess Diaries;)
Kristina
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I simply adore this series <3 I would love to have Mia as a friend ^^
Nasty Lady MJ
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun, as expected :)
Susanna
Oct 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen
I've never liked the movies, but at least they cut out most of the unnecessary junk that fills these books. Are boyfriends and kissing really the most important things on the mind of the average 15-year-old girl?
Luana
First Read: April 2009
Cande
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Reading challenge 2016: #26 A book and its sequel (2/2)

I know this series isn't the best. It's kind of ridiculous and it's full of cliches. But the last book was fun. I don't know why this book bothered me so much. Maybe it wasn't the moment for this kind of story. Or maybe this second part was worse.

It's full of racism and misogyny.

*The protagonist thinks that Koreans can be racist to white people (spoiler: no, people of color can't be racist to their oppressors)

*They mention Donald Trump.
Melissa Veras
After finishing the first book in the series, I needed to pick up the next one right away. And that I did. Sadly, I didn't enjoy this one as much as The Princess Diaries :/ It was still enjoyable and easy to read, funny at parts... but there were two thing that bothered me a lot:

One is Mia's memory. Or shall I call her Dory?

description

Well, yes, Dory, in fact I do have a problem. How can a person forget everything? Like, EVERYTHING. (view spoiler)
Paige
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my review here: http://thepaigeturnerblog.wordpress.c...
Jennifer Girard
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is so fun to listen to! I love that it's Anne Hathaway who does the narration. Mia is a very funny character and even if her reactions are too much I care about her. I'm glad I'm enjoying it even if it's so different than the movies.
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
I found the first Princess Diaries book pretty difficult to review. I think the diary aspect, although somewhat original and gimmicky at the time, really makes it hard to comment on the plot of the book. A lot of the book is introspection, so thankfully Mia’s a really likeable character.

The bonus for me here, and I think it’s why I rated it higher than it probably deserves, is Anne Hathaway’s mind-blowing performance of narrator. Her Mia is so sweet and innocent and somewhat naïve, her Grandmere
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult; Chick lit; Romance
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: Slight Triangle.
Cliff Hanger: nope.

Ending: 8

Total: 8

In Dept

Best Part:
Mia's interview had me laughing!
Worst Part: I feel bad for Kenny
Thoughts Had: Oh no, that's gonna end badly; Yep, i was right; Poor Kenny!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: Lily is still my favorit
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
It's not as good as the first but it's okay because Mia is still the best. I highly recommend listening to Rooney as a soundtrack to these books to fully maximize the nostalgia of watching lead singer Robert Schwartzman be a very hot if somewhat inaccurate depiction of Michael Moscovitz in the movie.
Sara Williams
There is a chapter in this book where author Meg Cabot describes FERGIE having a conversation with DONALD TRUMP. That's all I wanted to mention.

Nevertheless, this is definitely better than the first instalment in the series! Mia is becoming more mature.
Catherine ♡
I actually liked this better than the previous book! It was a little less ditzy, a little more content about family dynamics.

One thing that bothers me to death is Lilly. Is it just me or is she just the worst best friend ever? Judgemental, condescending, secretive, self-righteous...
Milka
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Deciding to reread this series has proved to be awesome so far.
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just really enjoy these books in general. They're really fun books when you're in a reading rut that go by quickly and make you laugh. Quite honestly, this book took me an hour to read! This wasn't my favorite book (I liked the first one better) but if I have to read it to reread the series, then I shall!

I really loved Mia's voice and how the author made her seem so real and alive. Mia is just so dramatic and it's so humorous to read! She's sort of letting the whole princess thing settle in wh
Praniti
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This series is one of those one time readers which one may find cute and adorable. The book continues on its path of how Mia discovers and handles different new experiences she has to face because of being a princess. I would never read it again but for the first time it was quite okay.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2008, humour, ya
While the storyline in this one isn't as fresh and exciting as the first one, it still holds solid and Mae hasn't yet changed much.

It takes place only days after the end of the previous book - I have a quibble with how fast everything moves, and how soon this could have happened - when Mia learns that her mum is pregnant with her algebra teacher's baby. They decide to get married on Halloween at City Hall and keep it quiet.

It's Mia herself who blurts out the news not just to her dad and Grandmot
Sabine
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
The princess stuff isn't getting easier and to add to that, Mia is receiving letters from a secret admirer who may or may not be the boy she has had a crush on since she was six, her mom has just revealed she is pregnant with Mia's Algebra teacher, and her best friend has run off with her attractive, but small-town cousin who is visiting for her mom's wedding. What is a princess to do?

After reading the first book in this series I went to the library and just happened to see the rest of the books
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
It's a short book - only 50,000 words - and I guess you could consider it a little bit of a filler. But it was still cute, and I laughed.

[Blog] - [Bookstagram]

photo c l i m b C2A0e v e r y C2A0m o u n t a i n 2_zpsykn9gbgr.png
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
For some reason, not as amazing as I remembered from my preteen memories when I adored this series, but still a lot of fun. It's a super quick read, and enjoyable even for older readers.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Paparazzi Princess (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #4)
  • Away Laughing on a Fast Camel (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #5)
  • Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #3)
  • Duelling Princes
  • Alice on Her Way (Alice, #17)
  • Fogging Over (Angels Unlimited, #5)
  • Parties & Potions (Magic in Manhattan, #4)
  • Speak
  • Blonde Ambition (A-List, #3)
  • The Princess & the Pauper
  • I Like It Like That (Gossip Girl, #5)
  • My Cup Runneth Over: The Life of Angelica Cookson Potts

The Princess Diaries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1)
  • Princess in Love (The Princess Diaries, #3)
  • Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries, #4)
  • Princess in Pink (The Princess Diaries, #5)
  • Princess in Training (The Princess Diaries, #6)
  • Party Princess (The Princess Diaries, #7)
  • Princess on the Brink (The Princess Diaries, #8)
  • Princess Mia (The Princess Diaries, #9)
  • Forever Princess (The Princess Diaries, #10)
  • Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries, #11)
“Lilly: Mia, when I recognize a human soul crying out for self-actualization, I am powerless to stop myself. I must do what I can to see that that person’s dream is realized.
[Gee, I haven’t noticed Lilly doing all that much to help me realize my dream of
French-kissing her brother. But on the other hand, I have not exactly made that dream known to her.]”
7 likes
“And you know what? Maybe Michael didn’t write those notes. And maybe he doesn’t
think I’m the Josiest girl in school.But he thought I looked nice in my pink dress. And that’s all that matters to me.”
5 likes