Start by marking “Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)

Princess in the Spotlight

(The Princess Diaries #2)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  53,522 ratings  ·  1,694 reviews
No one ever said being a princess was easy.

Just when Mia thought she had the whole princess thing under control, things get out of hand, fast. First, there's an unexpected announcement from her mother. Then Grandmère arranges a national primetime interview for the brand-new crown princess of Genovia. On top of that, intriguing, exasperating letters from a secret admirer be
Mass Market Paperback, 257 pages
Published 2006 by HarperTrophy (first published June 26th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Princess in the Spotlight, please sign up.
Kamila / Fishtalking I Think it's bc in early 00s it was something fresh and new. And people who red it then now have sentimental feelings towards it. Like me, I know its …moreI Think it's bc in early 00s it was something fresh and new. And people who red it then now have sentimental feelings towards it. Like me, I know its not the best book ever ut I remember how much I liked it when I was in Mia age.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ruby You see it throughout the first book, after she has the incident with the reporters and her dance. She starts to realize she is in love with Michael. …moreYou see it throughout the first book, after she has the incident with the reporters and her dance. She starts to realize she is in love with Michael. It is definitely not through the whole book but it is still there.(less)

·  53,522 ratings  ·  1,694 reviews

Start your review of Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)
emma
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
WHY DIDN'T I START THIS REREAD LIKE A MILLION YEARS AGO???

I mean, honestly. These books:
- are the literary equivalent of a warm cinnamon roll (speaking of which: I'm going to go microwave a cinnamon roll so let's make this review quick, yeah?)
- take literally like 45 minutes to read
- are nostalgic af
- surprisingly, are pretty inoffensive for the early 2000s
- contain a romance you kinda root for??? And it's a slow burner! Hurray.

Bottom line: THIS REREAD WILL CONTINUE. Hard to say whether current
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I AM LOVING THIS SERIES IT IS SO ADORABLE OMG
Jessica
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars *reread
These books FLY by.. I JUST started this book and I feel like I haven't spent hardly any time reading it! While I still loved this book, I don't think it's AS good as the first, and I think it's closer to 4.5 stars.
Mia finally starts having to do more public Princess things like her big interview (man could you IMAGINE? I would have passed out probably..). In the first book she goes through a huge change finding out about being a princess.. this book has some really big changes
Shannon (leaninglights)
I simply adore these books. This one was equally as adorable as the first and I'm excited to get to the next one! I love Mia because she feels authentic to me - confused, unassuming and of course surprisingly intuitive. I really like how adults are portrayed in this series. They are in extraordinary circumstances but they are very real and flawed. I really can't say anything bad. Loved it all around! :)
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Reread on 4/29/15: I adore this series. All the 2001 pop culture references were pure gold. Can't wait to reread all the rest of the books as well!
Asha
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I still am not behind Mia and Lilly's friendship 100%. Also, I never realized how short a span these books cover. This one takes place only a month after Mia learns she's a princess. And she is still bemoaning her flat chestedness and height of 5'9. Come on, kiddo. It'll be okay.
Sophie
Wow, every time I re-read a Princess Diaries book, I just fall more and more in love with Mia. In A Royal Disaster, Mia has now come to terms with the fact that she is the sole heir to the Genovian throne, and is having daily princess lessons with her Grandmere to prepare for the upcoming visit to Genovia in December. She's also come to terms with her mother dating her algebra teacher, Mr Gianini. However, her mother being pregnant, and engaged, is a whole other thing entirely. On top of all thi ...more
Skinnerbox
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teenagers
Shelves: meg-c
This i very interesting book. I realy love M.C. books. I think she's very, very clever and modern. I realy like that Mia is a feminist;)
I luve Princess Diaries;)
Kristina
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Susanna
Oct 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen
I've never liked the movies, but at least they cut out most of the unnecessary junk that fills these books. Are boyfriends and kissing really the most important things on the mind of the average 15-year-old girl?
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun, as expected :)
Nev
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
3.5 - I enjoyed rereading this even more than the first book! I had completely forgotten the plot of book 2 and ended up gasping out loud on page 1. These are just such quick, fun reads. It's great to be reminded of why I loved them so much back in the day.
Jennifer Girard
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is so fun to listen to! I love that it's Anne Hathaway who does the narration. Mia is a very funny character and even if her reactions are too much I care about her. I'm glad I'm enjoying it even if it's so different than the movies.
Maria Dimitrova
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I've wanted to read this for ages. Maybe if I had gotten my hands on it when I was younger I would have enjoyed it more. But as a 0 year old woman I found it mostly cringe-y.
Luana
First Read: April 2009
Paige
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attack Salmon
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Typical Meg Cabot fashion. Silly and cute

Ok I need to remind myself the plot in the books actually drifted away from the movie. Here Mia's mother is having her Algebra teacher's baby. And her royal and nosy grandma is planning a wedding for her mum. WTF I don't know why Mia's grandma thinking Mia's mum getting married is her business. Mia have a secret admirer that been sending her letters and Mia continue crushing on Michael
Cande
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Reading challenge 2016: #26 A book and its sequel (2/2)

I know this series isn't the best. It's kind of ridiculous and it's full of cliches. But the last book was fun. I don't know why this book bothered me so much. Maybe it wasn't the moment for this kind of story. Or maybe this second part was worse.

It's full of racism and misogyny.

*The protagonist thinks that Koreans can be racist to white people (spoiler: no, people of color can't be racist to their oppressors)

*They mention Donald Trump
Melissa Veras
After finishing the first book in the series, I needed to pick up the next one right away. And that I did. Sadly, I didn't enjoy this one as much as The Princess Diaries :/ It was still enjoyable and easy to read, funny at parts... but there were two thing that bothered me a lot:

One is Mia's memory. Or shall I call her Dory?

description

Well, yes, Dory, in fact I do have a problem. How can a person forget everything? Like, EVERYTHING. (view spoiler)
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult; Chick lit; Romance
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: Slight Triangle.
Cliff Hanger: nope.

Ending: 8

Total: 8

In Dept

Best Part:
Mia's interview had me laughing!
Worst Part: I feel bad for Kenny
Thoughts Had: Oh no, that's gonna end badly; Yep, i was right; Poor Kenny!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: Lily is still my favorit
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just really enjoy these books in general. They're really fun books when you're in a reading rut that go by quickly and make you laugh. Quite honestly, this book took me an hour to read! This wasn't my favorite book (I liked the first one better) but if I have to read it to reread the series, then I shall!

I really loved Mia's voice and how the author made her seem so real and alive. Mia is just so dramatic and it's so humorous to read! She's sort of letting the whole princess thing settle in wh
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
I found the first Princess Diaries book pretty difficult to review. I think the diary aspect, although somewhat original and gimmicky at the time, really makes it hard to comment on the plot of the book. A lot of the book is introspection, so thankfully Mia’s a really likeable character.

The bonus for me here, and I think it’s why I rated it higher than it probably deserves, is Anne Hathaway’s mind-blowing performance of narrator. Her Mia is so sweet and innocent and somewhat naïve, her Grandmere
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
It's not as good as the first but it's okay because Mia is still the best. I highly recommend listening to Rooney as a soundtrack to these books to fully maximize the nostalgia of watching lead singer Robert Schwartzman be a very hot if somewhat inaccurate depiction of Michael Moscovitz in the movie.
Sara Williams
There is a chapter in this book where author Meg Cabot describes FERGIE having a conversation with DONALD TRUMP. That's all I wanted to mention.

Nevertheless, this is definitely better than the first instalment in the series! Mia is becoming more mature.
tappkalina
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
Wow. This was not it.
Juliana
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
These books are just so much fun! It's ridiculous how well Meg Cabot captures the teenage voice. I did not expect these books to only take place over a month or so at a time but here we are. She's only learned she was a princess such a short time ago and she just falls deeper into the royal hole. Love all the early 2000 references. I feel like I'm reading a diary I could have written (were I royalty!). Another fun book in the series
catherine ♡
I actually liked this better than the previous book! It was a little less ditzy, a little more content about family dynamics.

One thing that bothers me to death is Lilly. Is it just me or is she just the worst best friend ever? Judgemental, condescending, secretive, self-righteous...

• Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2)
  • Shadowland (The Mediator, #1)
  • The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #2)
  • Away Laughing on a Fast Camel (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #5)
  • Darkest Hour (The Mediator, #4)
  • Reunion (The Mediator, #3)
  • Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #3)
  • On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #2)
  • Stop in the Name of Pants! (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #9)
  • Startled by His Furry Shorts (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #7)
  • Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #4)
  • Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #4)
  • Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #3)
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #6)
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1)
  • Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #10)
  • Love Is a Many Trousered Thing (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #8)

The Princess Diaries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1)
  • Princess in Love (The Princess Diaries, #3)
  • Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries, #4)
  • Princess in Pink (The Princess Diaries, #5)
  • Princess in Training (The Princess Diaries, #6)
  • Party Princess (The Princess Diaries, #7)
  • Princess on the Brink (The Princess Diaries, #8)
  • Princess Mia (The Princess Diaries, #9)
  • Forever Princess (The Princess Diaries, #10)
  • Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries, #11)