Start by marking “Such a Fun Age” as Want to Read:
Such a Fun Age

Such a Fun Age

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  181,997 ratings  ·  17,488 reviews
In the midst of a family crisis one late evening, white blogger Alix Chamberlain calls her African American babysitter, Emira, asking her to take toddler Briar to the local market for distraction. There, the security guard accuses Emira of kidnapping Briar, and Alix's efforts to right the situation turn out to be good intentions selfishly mismanaged.
Published December 31st 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Such a Fun Age, please sign up.
Stephanie I think that's the point---we see Alix's disregard of Briar from he very beginning. She gave no thought about how inappropriate it was to have her lea…moreI think that's the point---we see Alix's disregard of Briar from he very beginning. She gave no thought about how inappropriate it was to have her leave the house. Notice that Catherine stayed home.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lisa This drove me nuts! If anything Robbie was the worst behaved character in the whole story. He knew that note wasn't meant for him and he was not welco…moreThis drove me nuts! If anything Robbie was the worst behaved character in the whole story. He knew that note wasn't meant for him and he was not welcome to party at her house and he still did it. What a jerk! And then he was the idiot carrying around cocaine in his pocket which was what caused him to lose the scholarship, but somehow that's Alex's fault?! Don't get me wrong, she was completely nuts, but I didn't think any of that was her fault. If Kelley was such a great guy he should have handled the situation and gone outside and asked the trespassing kids to leave. (less)

·  181,997 ratings  ·  17,488 reviews

Start your review of Such a Fun Age
chai ♡
find this review & others on my blog

Such a Fun Age is a novel that disheartened me even if it didn’t surprise me. Something akin to relief gusted through my room like a warm front when I finished it: not because it was an unpleasant read—though it does depict many unpleasant moments—but because the story often wound up my feelings to the highest point of second-hand embarrassment that it felt like a huge weight slid down my shoulders when it was all over.

Narratives about race and privile
Emily May
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, contemporary, arc
Wow. The writing in this book is so light and breezy and easy to read that it can take a while to appreciate the depths the author takes us to in Such a Fun Age. Combine the compelling writing with a cute font on the cover and this book is seriously deceiving.

You know, this book reminded me of some of the criticisms others and myself had about The Help. I feel like I have to be careful here because even now, ten years later, there are people who love that book so much that they kiss it before t
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! Okay! I don’t know what I have to feel about this book. Did I like it? Mostly I did. But as soon as I finish, I felt like something missing. Maybe I didn’t like how the things ended for the characters and I wished alternate solutions for their stories.

I enjoyed the writing and intercepted lives of two female protagonists, the development and progression, objective and genuine approach of racism, diversity, hypocritical attitudes of the people. At the end of the story I lost my love for Ali
Cindy
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
While this is a simplistic story, it’s still a very accurate portrayal of performative activism and woke culture. I recognized so many of the central characters within people who exist in real life. I found myself nodding along to the book’s portrayals of liberal white allyship and the way people often believe their own self-serving narratives. I think because of the simplistic nature of the storyline though, the book was a little predictable and didn’t totally blow me away with new revelations, ...more
Kat
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it
the plot of this was super gripping (i read it in like 12 hours???) and i enjoyed the strong message that was woven throughout. interested to see how this author grows as she publishes more books.
Asia J
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Entertaining mostly towards the end. For a debut novel it wasn’t terrible, but I most definitely felt like I was reading a book written about black struggles by a white woman. The dialogue was also fucking atrocious.
jessica
i absolutely adore reese witherspoon and enjoy her book club choices, but this one isnt quite the hit i was expecting it to be, unfortunately.

i appreciate the dialogue this story opens about heavy topics such as racial inequality and ‘white saviour’ complexes. racism is a topic that tends to be discussed in fiction, but focuses more on the aggressive and antagonistic part of it. this is the first novel ive read where white people treat POC fairly, but only because they think it makes them a goo
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
2.5 stars. An easy read that lacked the emotional connection and powerful punch that I had expected.

This book is all the buzz lately. I couldn’t wait to dig in and see what all the hype was about. I’m not sure if the overhyping is what made me feel like I was missing something or this simply wasn’t a powerful book for me. Yes, there are some very heavy topics covered within these pages, but the way they are presented didn’t impact or resonate with me.

From start to finish the narrative made me
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE*** **REESE WITHERSPOON BOOK CLUB PICK**

This is one of those books that’s hard to review because I think if read quickly it would come across as just a good story. Reading this more slowly it’s revealed that there is much more to this book than just entertainment. It highlights lots of racial issues, from two different points of view. Alix is a successful, married white woman and Emira an “undecided” African-American woman. Alix discovered her talents quite quickly and has a thr
JanB
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing

There are books I read for the pure pleasure of the storytelling and there are books I read to make me think. Occasionally a book comes along that does both, without it being an “issue book”. This is one of those books.

One of the best ways to make a point is through witty satire, through stereotypical characters who are ridiculous, yet compulsively readable. Taking the biggest hit in this book are the progressive “woke” individuals who are so fearful of appearing racist, so convinced
Dita
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
As the adoptive mother of a child of color this was a much more emotional read for me than I generally care for in my fiction. However, once I began I couldn't put it down, even as it wrecked me.

When a security guard at a grocery store assumes a young black woman who's babysitting is instead kidnapping the white child in her charge? Well, the world goes nuts.

When the toddler's woke mom gets involved and tries to make it right? Yeah...

This is great story-telling that feels a teeny bit like a sto
_ngallagher
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
FANTASTIC
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was so fucking good.
Elyse  Walters
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emira Tucker, an African American woman, was going to turn 26 years old next week....
....soon to get booted off her parents’ health insurance. She’s known for a while that her babysitting job - ( for Alix and Peter Chamberlain- white upper class couple with two small daughters), wasn’t exactly sustainable- but she needed to figure out things on her own.

Emira had a college degree...but she didn’t know what she wanted to do next.
In the meantime - Emira’s part time babysitting job covered - ‘ ‘ba
Nikki Roberson
I pre-ordered this book because of the premise. The complexity of what happens at the cross-section of racial stereotypes, especially with differing points of view, seemed compelling.

I spent 80% of this book FURIOUS. For context, I’m a black woman, and that influenced how I read this book.

Almost all of the characters in this book were infuriating. The character of Emira, the 25-year old college graduate with no real future, comes across as undeveloped. She’s written with three different persona
Berit☀️✨
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a fab book! Kiley Reid’s debut was extremely readable, tremendously thought-provoking, and very hard to review. On the surface this was an engaging story about Emira, A 25-year-old African-American woman finding herself and her voice. But there really was so much more to it, it really was a story about privilege, race, and economic status. The story starts with Emira being accused of kidnapping when she is at the grocery store late at night with A little white girl. The truth of it was she ...more
Vanessa
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m completely in the minority here, this book is popular and there is a reason for it, it’s readable (mostly) engaging and fun with a fresh and contemporary feel while also tackling some pretty serious issues of race and white privilege, parts of this story are great for furthering discussion about inequality and racism although I’m afraid it also perpetuates stereotypes rather than evolving them. (Perfect for book club discussion!) But what I can’t get past is the poor execution of the writing ...more
Corina
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It’s hard to write a review about a book that left me so undecided. I think the biggest issue I had with this novel was trying to connect with any of the characters. Besides the relationship between Emira, and her charge, which was genuine and heartwarming, the story itself failed to draw me in deeply enough to become passionate about it.

The writing was acceptable for a debut novel, but I felt the execution was choppy at times. The way the plot was structured and told, especially the backstory,
Deanna
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!!

An unforgettable story!!

Twenty-five-year old, Emira Tucker is out with friends when her boss calls to ask if she would be able to babysit for a couple of hours. Emira regularly babysits for Mrs. Chamberlain (Alix) but it is already after ten on a Saturday night. However, there has been an incident at the Chamberlain home and Mrs. Chamberlain thinks it would be better if two-year-old, Briar is out of the house whi
Susanne  Strong
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: unread-shelf
4 Stars

It is with such a heavy heart that I write this review for “Such a Fun Age” a book I read a week and a half ago, when in the few short days since having read this, so much has transpired in our nation.

This is a novel about class, privilege, society and racism from POV’s of two very different women: a successful, upper middle class caucasian woman and a young, struggling african american woman, who come from very different worlds. Alix is a wife, a mother, a blogger and an instagram infl
karen
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
oooh, goodreads choice awards finalist for best fiction AND best debut novel 2020! what will happen?

this book is smart and excellent in like twelve different ways. believe all hype.

review to come.
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow. Kiley Reid can write. No doubt about it.

I've been waffling back and forth about whether to go with a four- or five-star rating. I've settled on four stars.

I think. At least for now.

Such a Fun Age is an intelligent, deftly written debut . . . with a bite. Don't let the pretty cover fool you. The story behind the bright, cheery pink and blue hues is intense.

Reid tackles the tough issues of class, privilege, racism, and "white saviors" in this novel -- and does not shy away from any of it. Th
Larry H
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a thought-provoking novel I didn’t want to put down.

Emira is nearly 26, that crucial age when she’ll be dropped from her parents’ health insurance. While most of her friends have started making their own paths career-wise and life-wise, she works as a babysitter for the wealthy (and white) Chamberlain family. She knows she needs a better, more stable job but she really enjoys taking care of their young daughter, Briar.

Late one night Emira gets a call from Mrs. Chamberlain. They had an i
Gabby
I feel like this book started off pretty strong, but then it just sort of lost its way.. I really enjoyed the first few chapters of this book; I like what it was trying to say about race and the way people of color get treated differently and unfairly in certain situations, and I thought it was a really great start and shedding some light on important issues. But then I feel like as soon as Kelley’s character is introduced into this book, it really lost its momentum.

The dialogue got so cringe.
myo 🍒 (myonna reads)
This book was so different from what i thought it would be. Everything that it says in the synopsis happened in the first chapter so i was really worried about what the rest of the book was about. I was pleasantly surprised as i read on. This book is actually about performative activism and how white people tend to use black people to get further in their lives.

You have the main character’s boss who has a very weird obsession with the main character where she wonders what Emira- the main charac
Phrynne
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5000-2020
A good story with a lot of interesting social commentary but sadly I did not fall in love with it as many other reviewers have.

There are some great characters especially Briar and Emira and I loved the relationship between them. Alix was a horrible person, Kelley too, but this was good writing on the author's part. We are obviously not supposed to care for them. The story is basically about race and class and there is one major scene in a supermarket where Emira is accused of taking a child whic
Debbie
Put it in the pot and stir!

A rich white employer, a poor black employee. Stick them in a pot and stir. This isn’t a black and white story, though, or a soap opera. Oh such juicy, complex relationships.

Those 4 stars I was doling out? A thing of the past. I’m now firmly planted in 5-star land because I can’t stop obsessing over this book. I think it’s because the way the two main characters act around each other is so vivid. There’s usually an undercurrent, which seems like a character in itself,
Michelle
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's taken a few days for me to figure out how I want to review this. This is one of those books where there is so much going on, but the author made it so digestible that it's easy to miss things. It was a very enjoyable read and a timely one. I admittedly probably read it too fast, but my only real disappointment (very small 'd' disappointment) came with part of the ending.

Kiley Reid is definitely an author to watch. I have no doubt this will be a big book next year as well as a popular choice
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Nov 26, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: contemporary, adult
every time i see this title, i think to myself what age is "such fun"... like, there is no age that is fun. "

toddlers - sucks because you can't do anything. you're a helpless blob of fat

teenagers - sucks because you're a hormonal mess

young adults - sucks because you're a hormonal mess who has to deal with college and living on your own

new adults - sucks because you are trying to survive being an adult (and 9 times out of 10, you're lonely)

middle aged - sucks because you're constantly wondering w
Irena BookDustMagic
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy to have a chance to read Such a Fun Age, and when I heard it was chosen as Hallo Sunshine pick for January, my excitement was huge.

Such a Fun Age was such an amazing book.
No wonder it took bookish community by the storm! It is well deserved.

In my honest opinion, this is the perfect book for reading clubs and buddy reads, as it's thought provoking.

While talking about race, classes, one's place in the world and people's relations, it is very enjoyable to read.

As I already said, it d

• The Seep
  • Grand Union: Stories
  • The Majesties
  • The Dilemma
  • Dear Sweet Pea (Dumplin', #2.5)
  • Oligarchy
  • How Quickly She Disappears
  • Motherhood So White: A Memoir of Race, Gender, and Parenting in America
  • So Lucky
  • Nothing More Dangerous
Kiley Reid (born 1984) is an American novelist. She is a recent graduate of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop where she was the recipient of the Truman Capote Fellowship. She lives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Such A Fun Age is her first novel.

Articles featuring this book

Let’s be honest: It’s a lot of pressure to pick your book club’s next read. But never fear, readers are here! We combed through our data...
“I don't need you to be mad that it happened. I need you to be mad that it just like... happens.” 45 likes
“I think it best we went our separate ways, and that those paths never crossed again.” 32 likes