Start by marking “Bobby Ether and the Jade Academy” as Want to Read:
Bobby Ether and the Jade Academy

Bobby Ether and the Jade Academy

When sixteen-year-old Bobby Ether is abducted and brought to the secluded Jade Academy in Tibet, monks teach him and other special students how to tap into their Anima—the universal energy that connects all living things. But the headmistress of the academy is secretly exploiting the students, looking for genetic triggers to create a new breed of humans with metaphysical a ...more
Published April 24th 2019 by Koehler Books

Start your review of Bobby Ether and the Jade Academy
Seema Rao
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick-paced ~ Fun ~ Widely-Appealing

tl;dr: Teen's parents are in an accident, throwing him into a secret society.

Hard review to write, because if you really want to enjoy this book, you should know nothing. The story has strong plotting and seamless world-building. There is a sort of Hitchockian sensibility, though the YA readers might not pick up on it. The best part of this book is that any kid could be Bobby. This any-boy sensibility to the MC is great for YA. This makes the storyline at once
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

This is an interesting storyline that will appeal to young and old. It was fast paced, and action packed with multiple twists and turns. At times I couldn’t put it down. At times, it was impossible to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Just when you think you have it figured out, along comes another twist.

Bobby is 16 and lives in California and is used to earthquakes. This one however woke him from his nightmare and seemed to last forever. When he looked out the window, it seem
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a nice surprise! There’s nothing I love more than stories about kids who get to go to some sort of special school because they have magical powers. And this school was spectacular.

I’m an adult who reads a lot of young adult books. Although this book skewed a little younger than most books I read, I still enjoyed it. It reminded me a bit of the Michael Vey series – if you like those books, you’ll probably like this as well.

It was fast-paced and fun to read. I liked the elements of spirit
Abigail
Feb 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Deceived by the blurb. The kindest thing I can say about this book is that, if further developed, it has potential.

The characters were under-developed stick figures with stereotypes tacked to their chests, and nowhere was this more evident than with the female and POC characters. For instance, Lily's sole purpose seemed to be to throw her arms around various male characters whilst exclaiming how worried she had been. She runs aimlessly in and out of scenes, an afterthought. She and numerous othe
Rachel
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
**I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

This is a great start to what should be a fun and exciting series! Bobby is a great hero for younger readers and shows strong morals without being self-righteous or patronizing. I especially liked how he befriended Jinx and accepted him for who he is, quirks and all. The supporting characters are not as well developed, but still meaningful parts of the story. The villains are what you would expect in
Claudia
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bobby had just heard about his parents being in a car accident when he is kidnapped. Actually he is kind of kidnapped by two fractions, who are both interested in special skills he has, although he is anaware of them.
He is taken to a school tht specializes on children like him and here he finds true friends, but also makes some enemies.
Learning through experience what is important and will help him to survive is his quest in this book.
The story is like a magic school setting, but on a more nega
Katrina
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and I can't wait to see what happens next. Reminiscent of Harry Potter and Charlie Bone series, this has it's own unique flair and plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing till the end. Without directly saying so, it really encapsulates Native American lore, Buddhist principles, and even a childlike wonder in the characters and locations of the book. R. Scott Boyer has the makings of a long-running series with Bobby Ether!

I received a free copy of this book via Booksp
Just_me
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this Bobby Ether story and think it has great potential.
It's easy to read, the characters are easy to identify with and the story is fast paced and driven.

The only part I wasn't keen on was towards the ending but I don't want to give the story away to other readers it just went a bit to Sci-fi for my liking.

Thanks net galley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Daryl Kunzmann
Erratic and Predictable

Decent plot and enjoyable characters yet the sequence of events coupled to the challenges the main characters found themselves in felt overly contrived with very predictable outcomes. Very little was a surprise and most events felt more like a “oh by the way, let’s insert this” ad hoc encounter.
Pat Eroh
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an exciting story, filled with action and page-turning adventure. The story-line/plot is totally original and captured me from the beginning. I was engrossed in the action to the end. And what an ending. Hoping for more by this author.

Meliciousbeauty
Sep 18, 2019 is currently reading it
This book is so fast paced that I was constantly flipping ahead to try to figure out what was coming up next before I got there! The story telling was phenomenal and I was constantly on the edge of my seat trying to figure out who was the bad guy and who were really the good guys... this book should appeal to young and old alike!
Isaac (Ike) Standifird
Good story. Too much rambling mysticism.
Shari Stauch
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book - can't wait for the next in the series!
Scott Boyer
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Holly
Sep 10, 2019
James
rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2020
Melissa Cheresnick
Nov 02, 2019
Caitlin
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, it was an enjoyable read. It wasn’t too difficult & it flowed for the most part. I would have liked a little bit more information in some sections but I am interested in reading the next book in the series.
Can’t wait to read what happens next to Bobby & his friends!
Would definitely recommend for students & anyone that enjoys this YA genre.
Carol
Proud to be Selected 1 1 Aug 16, 2019 01:06PM
Honored to be Chosen 1 1 Aug 09, 2019 02:40PM
YA Fantasy & Sci Fi List 1 1 Jul 01, 2019 03:06PM
Honored 1 1 Jun 25, 2019 12:08PM
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap 1023} Bobby Ether and the Jade Academy by R. Scott Boyer 3 12 Jun 15, 2019 07:22PM

• I Am Legend
  • Kirk and Anne: Letters of Love, Laughter, and a Lifetime in Hollywood
  • A Place Called Freedom
  • I'll Be Damned: How My Young and Restless Life Led Me to America's #1 Daytime Drama
  • The Intruder (Roswell High, #5)
  • The Stowaway (Roswell High, #6)
  • Summer Frost
  • The Top Five Regrets of the Dying: A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing
  • Dragonfly
  • Sisters of the Undertow: A Novel
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • For the Love of Books: Stories of Literary Lives, Banned Books, Author Feuds, Extraordinary Characters, and More
  • Independence! (Wagons West, #1)
  • Cold Comfort (Bridgette Cash Mystery Thriller Book 1)
  • The Devil's Work (Will Novak #4)
  • Rough Country (Virgil Flowers, #3)
  • Nothing Ventured
R. Scott Boyer graduated from the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley in 1996. In 2008, he became fascinated with the idea of blending young adult fantasy with new-age fiction. While maintaining a full-time job, he couldn't help but envision the kind of book he wanted to read. This exploration led to the creation of the Bobby Ether YA fantasy series, which combines spiritual elements with ancie ...more

News & Interviews