Start by marking “Death and the Harlot: A Lizzie Hardwicke Novel” as Want to Read:
Death and the Harlot: A Lizzie Hardwicke Novel

Death and the Harlot: A Lizzie Hardwicke Novel

A gripping historical crime debut from an exciting new voice. ‘It’s strange, the way fortune deals her hand.’

The year is 1759 and London is shrouded in a cloak of fear. With the constables at the mercy of highwaymen, it’s a perilous time to work the already dangerous streets of Soho. Lizzie Hardwicke makes her living as a prostitute, somewhat protected from the fray as o

Published May 13th 2019 by Canelo

To ask other readers questions about Death and the Harlot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death and the Harlot

Maureen
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
There are many secrets to explore in this truly atmospheric historical crime debut from Georgina Clarke!

This is London 1759 - and when wealthy cloth merchant George Reed, (a client at Mrs Farley’s brothel) is found murdered shortly after his visit there, it’s Lizzie Hardwicke, one of Mrs Farley’s ‘girls‘, who had entertained Reed that night, who becomes the prime suspect.

Magistrate’s Investigator Constable William Davenport doesn’t believe Lizzie when she tells him that she wasn’t responsible f
Peter
Perspicacity
A truly gripping story that is full of historical atmosphere and a devilish plot. Death and the Harlot is a wonderful debut novel from a very talented new thriller writer, Georgina Clarke. The main character, Lizzie Hardwicke, is unconventional, audacious and clever. Lizzie’s background is mysterious and considering this is London in 1759, she can read, write and speak several languages. What she doesn’t conceal is the fact that she’s working as a prostitute in a brothel run by Ma Fa
Beata
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A truly entertaining debut set in London in 1759. The main protagonist, Lizzie Hardwicke, a young prostitute gets involved in a murder case, and, in order to clear all suspicions working against her, undertakes a difficult task to find the murdere of one of the clients of hers. Right from the beginning, we come to like Lizzie for her intelligence, humour and wisdom which, in spite of her young age, prove that Lizzie is not an ordinary working girl. Lizzie's true identity and the motives behind h ...more
Holly  B
A historical crime mystery set in Victorian London in 1759.

Lizzie Hardwicke is a prostitute living in a bawdy house and that leads to meeting many unsavory visitors.  She is a strong protagonist and is determined to make the most of her situation. She also has a heart of gold and that made her incredibly endearing.

When a wealthy customer is found murdered and Lizzie was the last to be seen with him, she is determined to become an amateur detective. She soon starts uncovering lies and secrets
Whispering Stories
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Georgian London 1759, Miss Lizzie Hardwicke is a working girl, a prostitute, working for Madame Farley who employs girls to entertain the menfolk of London. After an evening with wealthy businessman George Reed, a cloth merchant from Norwich, Lizzie is eager to get rid of him so invites him to the masked ball the brothel is holding the next day as long as he leaves immediately.

Whilst at the ball George comes across a young woman who is staying
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4 STARS
2019; Canelo

Lizzie Hardwick is not a Lady solving crimes in her spare time between tea and balls. Lizzie is a sex worker in 1759, working for one of the Madams, so she has a roof over her head and food in her belly. After one encounter with a John, who was also a traveling merchant, she becomes embroiled in his murder. Lizzie was the last to see the murdered man, and Bow Street Runner, Constable William Davenport while suspicious has no evidence to take her in. Lizzie is not one t
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I stayed up till 3:30 in the morning to finish this. I could not put it down. Lizzie Hardwicke is a prostitute who’s last client ends up dead. She’s smart, observant and sassy. I adored her. Will Davenport is the constable assigned to the case who is a bit of a jerk at first but ends up being a decent guy. After he tells Lizzie that she’s the most likely suspect she decides to do some investigating. There are a whole group of suspects who Lizzie and Will have to rule out. I reall ...more
Jen LaRowe
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Lizzie Hardwicke is supposed to be a woman of privilege in 17th century London, but has been cast out by her father. She is now living as a prostitute as one of Mrs. Farley's girls. When one of her clients ends up dead, Lizzie is the prime suspect. Lizzie must do everything she can to prove her innocence. As people around her are murdered, she learns the lengths people will go to to keep their secrets buried.

Georgina Clarke has a hit on her hands. Death and the Harlot was so easy to fall into.
Maranda
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a tragic story of old How Women were persecuted for being free and under the command of MEN.
With her Father throwing her out, Lizzie finds refuge in a Brothel run by Mrs. Farley. It is London 1759 and murder suspects are chosen not by evidence so much as being in the wrong place at the wrong time. When one of her visitors is murdered the detective in charge, William Davenport, looks to pin this act on Liz. Many characters but the story flows nicely. Another sleuth mystery with an unlikely
Mel
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a massive thing for Victorian feminism and mysteries right now, and this is literally amazing. For once, the prostitute actually does prostitutey things instead of alluding to them (in that vaguely sexist way). Low key in love with this book.
Joanna Park
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Death And The Harlot is a hugely entertaining, atmospheric and gripping book that I thoroughly enjoyed!

The author does a great job of bringing the eighteenth century to life with all its seediness, rough justice and fear so that the reader feels like they are really there watching everything unfold. Its interesting to read about how people had to live in that era and what counted as justice which seemed to be quite skewed against the poor.

I absolutely loved the main character Lizzie. She’s rude,
Nkisha
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*I received an advance copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
This book was fabulous I decided to read something different from my normal genre and was not disappointed. The story centred around MC Lizzie who is a well-known prostitute and comes under suspicion when one of her customers is murdered. Lizzie sets out on a mission to prove who murdered her customer and the story quickly becomes a who done it scenario. This book will have you guessing to the very end and is
Karen Kay
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

Lizzie Hardwicke makes her living as a prostitute, one of her wealthy customers is found brutally murdered… and Lizzie was the last person to see him alive. Desperate to prove her innocence Lizzie turns amateur detective, determined to find the true killer, whatever the cost.

Good writing, nice mystery. I wasn't entirely certain 'who done it' until it was revealed. I look forward to reading more about Lizzie.

Carley
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.5 Stars

This was a new time period of historical fiction for me and I really enjoyed it. The title with "harlot" immediately drew me to it and then to see it had a mystery element, I was in! I feel like the author did a bang up job with research. I totally felt transported back to 17th century London. I enjoyed all the characters and didn't guess the twists too early on, which is always appreciated. It sounds as if this will become a series and I would definitely pick up the next one.

Bonnye Reed
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Death and the Harlot was an interesting, absorbing story with strong, captivating protagonists. It was a nice change-of-pace break from serious life stories, one I thoroughly enjoyed. Georgina Clarke writes a fine tale. I hope this is just the first chapter of Lizzie's story. Georgina Clarke is an author I will follow.

Lizzie Hardwicke is a working girl in 1759 London. Her 'house' is in Soho, run by middle-aged madam Mrs. Sarah Farley and while not at the top of the quality houses of prostitution
Julie
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tremendously gripping historical crime novel that sheds a light on the dark underbelly of 18th Century London, Death and the Harlot is an exceptional debut featuring Lizzie Hardwicke devotees of the genre are simply going to lap up.

London in 1759 was shrouded in danger, fear and jeopardy. Beneath the wealth and glamour of the capital lay hidden a dark world of greed, corruption, deception and murder. With highwaymen running rampant all over town, criminals staking their claim all over the city
Cheryl
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an engrossing story, it was written in a lively and entertaining way. The main character of Lizzie Hardwicke was very engaging. She was an intelligent woman who was in her situation through no real fault of her own. I enjoyed the way she went about discovering the identity of the murderer. Her interaction with Will Davenport, had me wondering if anything might develop between them. There were a number of interesting characters, many with their own secrets. I do hope there will be more s ...more
Caroline
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was charmed by this novel, and though I do wish the author had done more to make me care about the charcters, it was lovely. The plot twists make it interesting, but the lack of description, character development and romance detracts from the overall enjoyment. In future books, I hope to see much more daring.
Hayleigh
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to be accepted for an advanced ebook copy of Death and the Harlot by Georgina Clarke from Netgalley. This book comes out 13th May 2019 and I would definitely recommend it!

I did a spoiler free review on my blog:
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! Lizzie is not your usual heroine but she’s smart, quick and I thought she was fabulous. Davenport is her perfect foil as the kind damaged detective. I totally didn’t guess the guilty party, the whole murder mystery was very cleverly done. I won’t say to much here about the plot as I don’t want to give away any spoilers.
The author has clearly done her research as the scenes are detailed, rich and leap off the page. I hope there is to be a sequel?!
Highly recommend.
I
Kristina Shankles
Fast paced page turner!Lizzie is the type of unique heroine that you can't help fall in love with. Her wit combined with a touch of sass has you rooting for her with each chapter.
Moriah
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this title from the publisher for an honest review. Death and the Harlot is a well-written and gritty look at Georgian London from the perspective of Lizzie Hardwicke, a prostitute. Lizzie found herself forced to leave home and ended up becoming a Harlot. Lizzie is one of several girls that live in a house run by Ma Farley which is situated in a respectable neighborhood. In an attempt to get rid of one of her clients, Lizzie invites George Reed, a merchant from Norwich in to ...more
Robin
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this debut historical mystery set in 1759 London.

While I did guess “who dun it”, the plot line was more imaginative and complicated than I originally thought. But it was the harlot with the ❤ of gold and eye for detail that stole the show and really shone here. I also enjoyed the Bow Street character of Davenport (except for one instance of behavior toward the end that really didn’t seem to fit with his character to that point).

I sincerely hope that I haven’t hear
Juliet Bookliterati
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Death and the Harlot is a murder mystery set in London in 1759. Lizzie Hardwicke works as a prostitute at Mrs Farley’s and after one of their parties a client is found murdered in the yard of the local ale house, and with Lizzie being the last to see him she finds herself top of the suspect list. In order to prove her innocence Lizzie decides to go and find the murderer herself. With the help Constable William Davenport, Lizzie finds herself probing into the detail of Reed’s life, and following ...more
Helen Leecy
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m really excited to have been asked to be part of the blog tour for this book. It will be released on the 13th of May 2019, and my blog will be published on the 14th of May 2019. Visit www.pinkanddizzy.com to see the blog and all the book details!
I received a copy of the book in advance via NetGalley in return for an honest review as part of my blog.
Wow, I wasn’t expecting this to be as gripping and as brilliant as it was! I’m gutted I’ve finished this already I wanted more. I requested to be
Beadyjan
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was completely absorbed into this book, with its extremely likeable heroine Lizzie Hardwicke, Harlot of the title.

A high-class London prostitute working out of a mid 18th century Soho pleasure house. When one of her "customers" is found murdered she faces inevitable suspicion, so, keen to clear her name she joins forces with an investigator and becomes amateur sleuth.

Set in the back streets of London, among the seediest pubs, the coffee houses and bathhouses where no respectable girl would be
Vivienne
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Canelo for an eARC via NetGalley of Georgina Clarke’s debut novel ‘Death and the Harlot’ in exchange for an honest review.

Set in the London of 1759, Lizzie Hardwicke makes her living as a prostitute in a bawdy house run my Ma Farley. The house provides some protection from the dangers of the street. When one of Lizzie’s wealthy clients is found murdered it brings her to the attention of Constable William Davenport of the Bow Street Runners.

Lizzie is concerned that her closeness to t
Maria
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lizzie Hardwicke job is not one of the most respected; she is a “whore”, yes after a turbulence past, she decided that it was much more worthier to be paid for her choice than simply being used. Saying this, you will see that Lizzie is a strong woman that doesn’t want to be used but that takes care of her loved ones and fights for them till the end.
When one of Lizzie’s client appears dead near her “work house” she will try to discover the truth before the murder affects her reputation. Lucky for
Jane Hunt
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Murder mystery in the eighteenth-century with a likeable female detective and a well-researched setting.

Atmospheric and authentic ‘Death and the Harlot’, features Lizzie Hardwicke, a harlot who becomes embroiled in a murder hunt, and turns detective. Despite her tragic family history, she remains humorous and kind, using her intelligence and knowledge of people, and the area, to help solve a complex crime.

The plot is full of suspects and twists, the tone is pitched correctly for the time period.
Lel Budge
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canelo
Death and the Harlot is the historical crime debut novel from Georgina Clarke.

Set in London 1759, wealthy Norwich cloth merchant George Reed visits Lizzie Hardwicke, a prostitute at Mrs Farley’s brothel. To keep him sweet and to earn extra coin, Lizzie invites him to a masked ball…

But after Tommy shows up and a bit of a todo, Reed is thrown out……

His body is then found murdered, robbed and left among the rubbish.

Constable William Davenport suspects Lizzie is responsible….but she decides to find t
« previous 1 3 next »
Georgina Clarke has a degree in theology and a PhD in history but has only recently started to combine her love of the past with a desire to write stories. Her Lizzie Hardwicke series is set in the mid-eighteenth century, an underrated and often neglected period, but one that is rich in possibility for a crime novelist.
She enjoys running along the banks of the River Severn and is sometimes to be f