Start by marking “Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon” as Want to Read:
Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon

Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  2,418 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
"Muggles and Magic" is the first general interest book, resource guide, and reference work for Rowling's millions of fans. Organized in six sections appendices, this 400-page book is a treasure trove of information and trivia about Harry Potter, Rowling's most famous literary creation, and the phenomenon that surrounds him.
The Real World of J.K. Rowling provides an in-dep
Published May 1st 2004 by Hampton Roads Publishing Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Muggles and Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muggles and Magic

Maarit
Nov 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _2000-2009
Jästit ja taikuus (2007, Readme.fi) on nippelitietoa sisältävä teos Harry Potterin maailmasta, joka samalla taustoittaa J.K. Rowlingin elämää sekä kertoo erilaisista Harry Potter faniyhteisöistä. Kirja on jaettu kuuteen eri lukuun, lisäksi siinä on runsaasti liitteitä.

Täytyy miettiä, miksi vaivauduin lukemaan tämän teoksen loppuun asti. Kirja on sisällöllisesti pahasti vanhentunut ja osa sen antamista tiedoista on myös paikkaansapitämättömiä. Jotain asioita olisi myös voinut karsia kokonaan pois
Annemarie
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I expected George Beahm's Muggles and Magic to be more like Melissa Anelli's Harry, A History, but in reality, it read more like a sourcebook or the Kronzeks' The Sorcerer's Companion. Often, the information seemed like a biography of J.K. Rowling. There were then pages of quotes about various topics, often seeming repetitive. This is not to say that the text was not interesting.
One thing that made me giggle a bit was reading about "seven movies". This book was written shortly before the publica
Mikey
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think this was a wonderful nonfiction book full of things that I did not know about j.k. Rowling like she got the name harry from a child hood friend, and that she had divorced her husband. This book includes a time line of J. K. Rowling, and interesting pictures that range from magazine covers to fan memorobelia. It also tells where she liked to write her books like in a coffee shop in England. It also tells about where she had lived in the past and her financial troubles struggling to make i ...more
RumBelle
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I love reading companion guides to my favorite fandoms. Each sheds new light, and insight, into favorite characters, places, things and objects. It shows you how the worlds were created, and what the hidden symbolism is. You learn a lot, not only about the fandoms themselves, in this case Harry Potter, but also about the history, art and more that went into their construction.
Jeannie
Oct 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: College Research Students
Recommended to Jeannie by: TSU Library
Shelves: research
I used this book for research when I was writing a paper in college. I took a class on Children's Literature and used Hermione Granger as the protagonist for my featured character anaylsis. It was a great help and takes an in-depth look into how Harry Potter and his universe has affected modern society. A great resource.
M
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great source book for all things Potter up to the 5th book. It provides quite a bit of information regarding Rowling's background. I, also, found the Muggle's Guide to Harry Potter extremely helpful in keeping up with all the characters, places and items that appear in the first five books.
Sarah Margaret
Feb 16, 2010 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this at all.
It was boring and pointless (beside the mini biography of JK Rowling, which had a bit of new information in it).
Although the pictures of people dressed up in costume at Harry Potter conventions were amusing.
Kelly Martin
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I took most of this with a pinch of salt because you never really know if what's in it is 100% true. Saying that I still did enjoy it!!!!
Deborah
Fascinating read, but give yourself plenty of time...not a book to zip through.
Madelyn
It rocked like all other books involving HP.
Kira Brighton
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty decent analysis of the Harry Potter series.
Sylvia
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Harry Potter lovers
Recommended to Sylvia by: my mom
i love this book!
it explains almost everything about the creatures, spells, plants and people. it's the best book related to Harry Potter I've read.
Tiana
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Great book with lots of story and behind the scenes information for Harry Potter fans. The book was published before the 6th book was released so most of the info is up to the fifth book.
Jasmin
Apr 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
It was boring and pointless like somebody already said. Besides Rowling's biography and chapters two and five it was nothing but rubbish. Cannot understand how I made it through.
angie
Aug 16, 2010 rated it liked it
some of the information is wrong, but still an interesting read if you're a harry potter fan and there's a fun quiz at the end
Jennifer Datus
May 05, 2010 marked it as to-read
This was in the list of the typ of bookes I like and thought it will be good to read.
Diane Wachter
J.K rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon, George Beahm, PB-B @ 2004, 8/18/05. Criticism and interpretation. Okay.
Chloe Maddox
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting if you are a fan, and good for factual reference studies, but some information is wrong on the fiction side.
Charlotte
disappointing
Megan Barnhart
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it
For my Philosophy of Harry Potter class!
Emily
Dec 19, 2008 marked it as to-read
I used for a biography project on JKR.
Runa
Mar 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: HP fans
Shelves: runasbooks
good for HP fans as a resource
Bumbleboy7
Aug 03, 2017
Lotta
rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2013
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-By-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • Harry Potter and History
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • J. K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter
  • The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What Our Favorite Hero Teaches Us About Moral Choices
  • The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter
  • Reading Harry Potter: Critical Essays
  • Field Guide to Harry Potter
George Beahm writes books about censorship, sports figures, and numerous literary figures, including Patricia Cornwell, J.K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer, Philip Pullman, and others.
More about George Beahm...