Start by marking “Magician: Apprentice Volume 1 (Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice #1)” as Want to Read:
Magician: Apprentice Volume 1  (Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice #1)

Magician: Apprentice Volume 1 (Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice #1)

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  18,945 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Collects comic 1-6.
To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings
Hardcover, Graphic novel, 168 pages
Published May 30th 2007 by Marvel Comics Group (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Magician, please sign up.
Ron Wierman It isn't geared to young adults specifically. But it is appropriate for all ages.

Benozir Ahmed
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
my rating 3.75
storyline has been built on a world named midkemia. on the far westerncoast of the human kingdom of Rillanon there is a province named crydee where a ritual is maintained that as per requirement they set a day of choosing. On which day 15 year old boys are chosen under few specific masters for apprenticeship. tomas and pug are two friends who were chosen as well. this is the beginning. (don't like to tell much about the story, better read it yourself if u feel like)
there are some
Drozdal
May 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was OK at best. Pretty sloppy writing, fantasy by numbers. Chosen one / coming of the age story where main characters can't do no wrong and everyone has infinite amounts patience for them - be it princes, mages, kings or dragons. There are five female characters in the book - one is Queen of elfs for one of the main characters to fall in love, second in a princess to fall in love with, third - mentioned princess maid / help lady, one of the main characters mom and lastly another 9 year ...more
Dale Pearl
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I remember the first time reading this. The book was passed down to me from a friend of mine. We were both in the Navy and in the process of going through electronics school. In my opinion a classic of the fantasy genre. The only downsize to this book and later the series is that it borrows to much material from other fantasy novels in order to make a lasting tale. Tolkien, Brooks, Donaldson.... their books can be seen through the riftwar saga as well.
James Forbes
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Yeah, I read it. But why bother when there is George RR Martin?
Cassienerdgirl
Feb 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Boooooooo.
Cátia Rato
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Someone recommended me this book and I was kind of afraid of reading it. “Another fantasy book”, I thought. The truth is that this book is very well written.
Just in the first part we have, maybe, a span of six years. Some chapters are days, weeks, months and even years after the previous one, which makes the action progress at a really good rhythm. The action also follows different characters, each one with a well defined personality, and different parts of the world. Several characters have a v
Tracey
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Samantha Larmore
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(Spoilers)

I read Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist, which is book one of the Rift Saga. This book is about a young orphan, named Pug, who, in a day’s time, becomes the apprentice of the greatest magician in Crydee, Kulgan. The story begins in the Western city of Crydee, a city in Midkemia. On the day of the Choosing, fifteen-year-old Pug and his best friend, Tomas, were each chosen for apprenticeship, Tomas with Swordmaster Fannon and Pug for Magician Kulgan. After much study, Pug was ask
Craig Brown
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Classic good/bad tale with orphan protagonist that overcomes odds to become ....

I ready plenty of fantasy books (TLOTR, The Belgariad etc) as a young teenager, and after a recent spate of Game of Thrones thought I'd visit this series that I overlooked a few decades ago. I probably would have liked it more then, but I see it has so many issues in writing style and story that sometimes I was a bit disappointed. Overall, it was OK - I will give the 2nd book a try and see if there is some growth in
Jeff Raymond
I'm coming to the conclusion that these graphic novel adaptations of important fantasy books don't really work for me. The detail of them often gets lost in the art, the stories becoming kind of diluted, and the format doesn't often lend itself to quality storytelling.

On the other hand, this made me want to read this series in its original form quite a bit. So it wasn't a complete loss, but given that it took me 10 days to want to finish this says quite a bit...
Nic Cooper
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Needed more magic
Anthony
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this series back in High School and enjoyed it then and plan on re reading it at some point ad Feist does an excellent job of character development and story involvement.
Brienne Dubh
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First published in 1982, this weighty fantasy was inspired by a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, and the story lends heavily from Lord of the Rings. So, obvious, I’m completely in my element.
Some editions are edited as the story is very long, but I personally enjoyed the long scenes and character development. If you are a fan of fantasy then ‘Magician’ is in the canon, and is so for a reason.
There are a wealth of characters to keep each part of the plot interesting, although I was disappointed by
Andy Hickman
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Magician Apprentice. Vol.1
[Magician: Apprentice Riftwar Saga #1 (Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice)]

A most enjoyable interaction with this intriguing world.

Issue #1

“Fantus is a firedrake, cousin of dragons. When the mood suits him, he can belch out a flame or two, though he seems rarely in the mood.” - Master Kulgan

Issue #2
“Master Fannon says a soldier must keep a cool head at all times or he'll lose it.”

Issue #3
“LEAVE HIM ALONE! He saved my life! He almost got killed saving me. He's done
A.G.R. Goff
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An orphan boy named Pug becomes a master magician’s apprentice. Due to his natural magic abilities he is drawn into a war between his world and invaders from another world called Tsuranuanni. Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist is a fantasy novel reminding the reader of a world created from Medieval Europe and Samurai Japan mixed in with some otherworldly magic. in the time of the Samurai. It's the first part by a trilogy and offers everything a fantasy fan might want from such a story. It' ...more
Christopher Bergerson
Quick note: I am reading the Author's Preferred Edition

I had read this quite some time ago in my youth (almost 20 years ago) and was delighted to find that I had forgotten most everything about the book so it was like reading it for the first time and I'm happy to say that I'm at least equally in love with the book if not more so this time around when I believe I am capable of experiencing the book as the author intended in its greater depth of meaning that a 12yo just can't grasp and I'm lookin
Kathleen
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I first read this about 20 years ago, I loved it at the time and read the entire series. I was in the mood for some old school sword and sorcery. I am a huge Joe Abercrombie, Mark Lawrence and Steven Erikson fan; but sometimes you just want to enjoy a tale without having to really think about what you’re reading, and all the plot twists. I have again enjoyed the tale and will read all the others as well.
Aphrael
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
reread from years ago. still interesting and a nice read. after a great albeit cliche setup, the story skips so many years that you don't really know the protagonists anymore, and the writer just refers to when they were 14 and had more character description to get to connect the reader to the characters when the characters have obviously changed. that did not work so well for me, so that's too bad.
Jared Jensen
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I read the book over a two decades ago and enjoyed picking up this graphic rendition of the first several chapters. I now want to read it again. It was produced by several artists. The only frustration I had was when they changed who was drawing, it took a bit to get used to the differences and re-identify the characters.
Ellis Knox
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I finally finished this, after having it sitting around for years. It's ok. The formulas are pretty formulaic; the characters are so stereotyped it was hard to get past that. There are a couple of interesting angles, especially what is happening with one of the characters, but there was nothing here to make me want to keep reading. I hear there are over twenty novels set in this world.
Nighteye
Well addapded graphic novel, feels that there are some events or pieces mising and we watches glimses of their lives but on the whole a good addaptation of the start of Rayond E Feist Magicans Apprentice. Not read the original book but I like this addaptation.
TrudiT Thomas
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant start to this trilogy. I read this years ago and have recently gone back to re-reading them.
His later books became very static and sometimes boring to read but this is fresh and vibrant writing and well worth reading.
Mark Hill
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book takes my back to my youth. Got me hooked on Midkemia. Does it stand the test of time. Yes but the following books in the series really read well and average. But I really loved the first handful of books.
Leah
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. It is such an original story line -set on another world where they are invaded by another race of intelligent beings, essentially aliens. Raymond E. Feist is so talented and I just couldn't put the book down. I've read it a few times but I could still read it again and love it.
Frantick Reader
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Epic is scale and character.
It is a real pleasure to read and the characters unravel with such delight.
If you love fantasy, then read this !
Tyler Davis
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A different take on fantasy that is nothing you'd expect.
Nynke Doesburg
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Such an abundance of clichés...
Kylie
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i absolutely loved this book couldnt put it down.
Christian
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although I started reading this years ago, it is one of the series that I always return to. This series let's my imagination run free with elves, dragons, politics and wizards. Just amazing.
Ruki Romain
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! It will always be one of my favourites! 😍
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set  (Wheel of Time, #1-8)
  • The Sword of Truth Boxed Set II: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #4-6)
  • Homeland: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • The Farseer Trilogy (Farseer Trilogy #1-3)
  • The Elenium: The Diamond Throne / The Ruby Knight / The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #1-3)
  • In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara, #1)
  • The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga #3)
  • The Night Angel Trilogy (Night Angel, #1-3)
  • Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist Summary & Study Guide
  • Myth-ing Persons / Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #5-6)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist

Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice (4 books)
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 2
  • Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar (Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice Series, #3)
  • Riftwar (Premiere)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99