Start by marking “The Big Book of Classic Fantasy” as Want to Read:
The Big Book of Classic Fantasy

The Big Book of Classic Fantasy

From Ann and Jeff VanderMeer--esteemed editors of The Big Book of Science Fiction and scholars of the fantastic--comes a globe-spanning anthology that unearths the origins of fantasy fiction. A VINTAGE ORIGINAL.

From the fairy tales we first heard as children, fantasy stories have always been with us. They illuminate the odd and the uncanny, the wondrous and the fantastic:
Published July 2nd 2019 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book of Classic Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book of Classic Fantasy

Mel (Epic Reading)
Certainly I’ll have read a fair few of these stories before. But 14 unpublished in English until now!! Count me in!
eARC received. Read and review to come closer to publication date.
Sydney Smith
Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC.

So this is a great compendium, and one I’ll definitely buy when it’s released, but it has flaws. I appreciate the variety of stories here, most of which I had never read, but a lot of them didn’t have satisfying endings and they’re all super weird. I love that they’re weird, but some of the endings annoyed me. I think a lot of it has to do with them being translated to English. Overall, I think this is an awesome collection of classic fantasy, fairy tales and
Keith Chawgo
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Big Book of Classic Fantasy has something for everyone is the quintessential book of incredible short story fantasy. Including the works of Kafka, Benson, Tolkein, Sakutaro and Wells is just the tip of this glorious mountain of work. You will find extraordinary stories of fiction written from the past including a whole host of literary geniuses.

The classic fantasy collection has an incredible focus on including works of fantasy across many time frames which also has Rip Van Winkle and Poe an
WS_BOOKCLUB
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This will be available to purchase on July second.

In case it isn’t painfully obvious based on my other blog posts, I love fantasy of every kind. I was so excited to delve into this collection of stories, some that are well-known to me, and many others that I read for the first time.

And let me tell you; this selection is vast. The editors went through a ton of effort to gather a varied representation of an e
Jen
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

The editors define classic fantasy to include stories written between the early 1800s and WWII. They attempt to represent the natural diversity of the genre (which they point out is far more extensive than what most readers might assume, given the conservative biases of many other anthologies), while being mindful of how many of the stories of this era have aged (for example, in rega
Joel Mitchell
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Having read and greatly enjoyed Ann & Jeff VanderMeer’s massive anthology entitled The Weird, I jumped at the chance to review another one of their tomes. This volume collects “classic fantasy” stories (and excerpts from longer books) ranging in date from the early 1800’s up until World War II when fantasy became more of a defined genre. The blend of authors includes classic fantasy/sci-fi/weird writers, classic literary legends dabbling in the fantastical, and many authors less known to the ...more
Mike
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Firstly, let's be clear: when the editors call this a big book, they're not kidding around. It's enormous.

"Classic" fantasy here extends from the late 18th to the mid-20th century, and the stories (and excerpts from novels) are arranged chronologically, so patterns emerge naturally as you read through. The early stories are not what we think of as short stories today; they're narrations of a series of events, and the characters are barely characters at all, just names with a couple of qualities
Ralph Blackburn
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Big Book of Classic Fantasy, Ann and Jeff Vander Meer Ed.- As they did with the Big Book of Science Fiction, the Vander Meer's have fashioned a large volume of early classical fantasies. Not much swords and sorcery here, no Conan, no Elric, just as it states, classic fantasies of the likes of Washington Irving, Mary Shelley, Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe and many more. Also early fairy tales from different countries around the world add a new dimension to the classic tale. It's a really b ...more
Paul
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's tough to go wrong with this collection (even though I don't read a lot of fantasy). The editors are topnotch and thus most of the stories are too. A good mix of classic and little-known stories. Recommended.

I really appreciate the ARC for review!!
Megan Forrest
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the type of compendium that everyone should have at home. It is HUGE. The collection covers just about everything you could think of. Some of the stories may read a little oddly to people, however often that is due to their age/translation, and it is something worth noticing and thinking about - I find it fascinating how our storytelling styles and how we translate works have changed over time.

All in all, this is a collection I would highly recommend to have in print, rather than the di
Mai
Jul 15, 2019
Lira
Jul 06, 2019
Denice Langley
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every child learns to use their imagination through fairy tales. As the VanderMeer's tell the stories, the readers "see" the characters and feel, hear, and smell the stories come to life. The old stories are still the best, but there's always room for one or two more. We read these stories to our children and grandchildren and delight in their reactions. We've built many good memories with the stories in this book. Pick a few and build some for you too.
Meg (fairy.bookmother)
I received an ARC for this via Netgalley and yo, you're going to want to read this. I only read the intro and about ten stories and already preordered it so I can savor the rest of it in my hands. This is fantasy at its core, original and weird and more than unsettling. It's a great companion to their Big Book of Science Fiction. The VanderMeers know what they're doing, and they're amazing at it.
Kelsey
Ken McLoud
Shawn Falkner-Horine
Gary
Mar 20, 2019
Ann VanderMeer is an American publisher and editor, and the second female editor of the horror magazine Weird Tales. She is the founder of Buzzcity Press.

Her work as Fiction Editor of Weird Tales won a Hugo Award. Work from her press and related periodicals has won the British Fantasy Award, the International Rhysling Award, and appeared in several year's best anthologies. Ann was also the founder