Start by marking “The Scare School (Just Beyond #1)” as Want to Read:
The Scare School (Just Beyond #1)

The Scare School

(Just Beyond #1)

Middle grade supernatural horror series takes young readers Just Beyond the reality they know…Just Beyond their normal lives…Just Beyond the real world to an always surprising place of fantasy and fright.

Surviving middle school is hard enough but when Jess, Josh, and Marco encounter a strange and deadly creature wandering the halls of The Scare School, it leads them to a s
Published September 3rd 2019 by KaBOOM!

To ask other readers questions about The Scare School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scare School

Start your review of The Scare School (Just Beyond #1)
Jen
Mar 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, bea-2019
Ummm...well that was an unexpected steaming pile of no. I love RL Stine. He’s a nice guy and his Goosebumps books bring back fond childhood memories, but this book isn’t going to cause happy memories, only confusion and then disappointment. That ending was complete trash and not believable at all. The artwork was ugly and confusing to follow. The story was kind of ok, but the world made little sense and the adults in it really loved to use the word “terminate” when discussing children who didn’t ...more
Katherine Moore
Ultimately this was a pretty confusing read, and that’s not good when it comes to middle-grade reading, as the basic storyline should be easy to follow. The story even started as though a chapter was missing. Given that the famed author is adept at stringing a yarn or two together, I kept thinking it was going to become crystal clear. I enjoyed the illustrations and some of the concepts involved but if the Scare School is going work in graphic novel form, the storylines have got to be WAY cleare ...more
Heather
Jul 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
R. L. Stine does not understand the structure, nuances or indeed the point of the graphic novel form.

I read this for our podcast Teenage Scream, which dissects the best (and worst) of 90s Teen Horror.

Theresa
I received an ARC at BEA 2019. Recommended for ages 8+, this graphic novel from R.L. Stine hits that age level perfectly. Kids are fighting robots and solving mysteries in their school. Not much character development, but young reader's will easily follow the story and want to see the kids succeed and try to save the day from a devious headmaster.
Amanda
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Classic R.L. Stine scary-goodness and a twist ending apired with art from my favorite artist team Kelly and Nichole Matthews aka Kicking Shoes, perfection! Big fan! Can't wait for the next volume! Must read!
Selina Lybrook
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because of the mystery and apparently there is more so hopefully they will be nice too! Also i think R.L stine is a good writer.
James Caisse
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved it as much as original goosebumps, very scary and fun read with outstanding illustrations.
Kristen
Oct 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
What kind of nonsense was that... who narrates a graphic novel in 1st person while speech bubbles are going on...

We start with a group of characters. First person narration.

We start with another group of characters. First person narration.

I disliked the whole book. It was boring. It was not scary. I was not impressed. I'm not sure how kids will react, but it was not a natural flow and I had to flip back to the beginning a few times and reread. Not a good sign.
Rhoda
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Solid three stars, about what I expected. R. L. Stine was a very important and influential writer for me as a kid, and I had the opportunity to meet him and hear him speak at the ALA conference this year, which is where I received the ARC for this graphic novel. It's creative, nostalgic, and fast-paced, with terrific artwork from Kelly and Nichole Matthews, but as usual with middle-grade books, was over way too quickly.

I wasn't terribly impressed with Stine's recent dip into teen horror with "A
Wayne McCoy
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
'Just Beyond: The Scare School' by R.L. Stine with art by Nichole Matthews and Kelly Matthews is a graphic novel for young readers with a spooky story. What could be more scary than school?

Scare School has a name that no sane parent would send their child. It's named after a mysterious headmaster. My review copy was missing the beginning of the story, so my story began with three kids in weird clothing being pursued down a hallway by scary creatures named droggs. They manage to escape into a sch
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Scare School (Just Beyond #1) by R.L. Stine, 100 pages, GRAPHIC NOVEL, Kaboom , 2019, $10.

Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content G; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS – ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Just when you thought middle school couldn’t get any worse, three classmates discover a horrifying creature in the school hall. Thinking it is a classmate’s robot project, they fix it up enough to follow it through the boiler room door into an even creepier middle school. If Jess, Josh, and Marco
Yaritza
Imagine being in the same school but in two different worlds. One world is real, while the other is another dimension. A school where middle school kids are being taught at a kindergarten level. I think no one wants to be coloring for the rest of their lives, with crazy robots ready to keep you in check. I like the illustrations and the idea of the two different schools was very thought out. Having the school in the middle of nothing was truly creepy in every sense. The added bonus is huge robot ...more
Diane
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A school that has been opened on the nexus between two realities: one that is anchored in the reality and the other “just a floating idea.” In charge of both of these schools is a man named Dr. Scare. In the real school, he’s just an ordinary principal, but in the other realm he calls himself the Master Dean, and he is much more frightening. After all, his school has Droggs (half robot half something else) roaming the halls to keep students in line. And if you try to escape class? That’s cause f ...more
kiki thelibrarian
Just okay. Nothing special or especially scary about this title, though young readers may feel differently. Stilted dialogue and a confusing beginning made it hard to get into this title. The ending is definitely eerie.

The preview of the next Just Beyond title is terrible - hopefully, the editor and RL Stine will find a way to rewrite the overt and awkward narration/captioning of the panel actions before the final copy goes to print. Would only recommend this to young, die-hard RL Stine fans.

Nick
I am reviewing this from an ARC.
The writing of this book was surprisingly weak, especially in the rushed and confusing resolution. The actual ending of the story made no sense and neither did the way that the main bad guy's story was resolved.
Before that, it was an interesting but unconvincing alternate-world story in which the reader never learns why anything is happening. This is important in a few cases, such as why the alternate-world school leader is trying to keep the students from being e
Linda Naquin
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
The story was really confusing to follow, and even though its a GRAPHIC novel, meaning the story can SHOW us what's happening, a lot of times we would just move to the next page or panel, with no indication of the passage of time, and the current problem would suddenly have a solution out of nowhere. Like, where did that thing come from, how DID you fix that thing, we didn't get to SEE any of this. I get that this was a middle-grade book, and I have passed the book along to my 12yo, but I have a ...more
Fig
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed it for the most part, I was not expecting much by it since it’s aimed at middle grade kids. Yet I felt like the story was a little hard to understand, and the twist at the very end wasn’t very “stine-esk”.

I’m not particularly sure if it is because the format in which the story is being presented is through drawing, or because the story seems to be kind-off not flowing very well but, but at the end of the GN it didn’t feel like you were reading something by R.L. Stine and instea
Dubzor
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Granted I haven't read any of his recent work, aside from MAN THING, but this feels like both familiar and new territory for Stine. It feels just like a Goosebumps book, which is great, but at the same time he's branching out a bit and exploring new ideas.

Sadly, it's not flawless. The ending is extremely unsatisfying and the bad guy is evil for no real reason other than you need a bad guy.

It's a fun enough read, just don't expect anything transcendent.
Jason
The art is fantastic. Clean lines and soft colors give it a 3-D quality without evoking "3-D" as a concept. The story starts out great, but the explanation for the events of the story lacks punch and it all fizzles out by the end, so that the reader isn't terribly upset by the final twist. I'm typically a fan of Stine's plots adapted to the comics format, but this was only so-so. I would read more, though, because the art is that good.
Deborah
This is so messy. The art was pretty much the only aspect I liked about this story. The writing was poor and cliché, the plot felt like a Stine rip-off more than an original, and the characters were incredibly bland. I know I'm above the target age range, but I truly don't know how much a middle-grade reader would actually like this either. "Just Beyond" is weak storytelling and just not entertaining.
Stephanie Cooke
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m giving this three stars for the art - the story unfortunately doesn’t do much for the graphic novel medium. Stine approaches the story too much like he’d approach writing a regular novel and it doesn’t entirely work. Without the room to properly explain big, over-the-too ideas, the concept gets lost and makes for a difficult read.
Jenni
Feb 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
I loved reading because of the Goosebumps series. I remember staying up late and reading every single book. I was super excited when I found out R.L. Stein wrote a graphic novel because I’m trying to find some good ones to recommend to the kids. Unfortunately, Scare School isn’t one I’d recommend. It was nothing like the R.L. Stein books I grew up with.
Valleri
While I remained engrossed in this graphic novel interpretation of an R.L. Stine book, I was sorely disappointed upon its conclusion. The end was definitely not what I thought it should be. The whole process of reading this beast felt like a giant waste of time. I would not recommend this to anyone unless you like really cool illustrations courtesy of the Matthews twins.
Wolverinefactor
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s not bad but it’s not great.

The art is passable. The plot is quick but never explains anything. The twist ending is typical Stine but I was hoping for more.

I didn’t read the preview of the next book but a quick glance made it look like it might be better than this one.
Rob Ail
Sep 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Stine is good for suspense and sometimes his content isn't the most original. This is a disgrace to his work and the graphic novel. He's looking to build a world here instead it's a muddled mess. I can't imagine the target middle school reader knowing what the hell is going on here.
Caroline
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I'm personally excited about an increase in Horror graphic novels for a Middle Grade audience - I think there are eager readers for them. I don't think this is a great book, but I thought the story was interesting and really freaky. The art for me was pretty bleh though.
Katie Lawrence
Sep 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This felt incredibly disjointed and confusing. The first person narration was jarring to me and everything felt underdeveloped. I was a huge fan of Stine when I was a kid. Such a shame this was so disappointing.
Anna Karwowska
Oct 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was a big disappointment for me and I had to skip to the end because the story was kind of confusing and would skip around a lot.

Feels like it pulled a lot (plot, monster design, etc) from Stranger Things, so it may be appealing to that fanbase.
Emily
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the art, nor did I like the story. I don't think that middle-grade students will be scared or impressed by Just Beyond. The ending was classic RL Stine, which saved it from getting just one star.
Murphy
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A weird, entertaining story complimented by adorable art. I was honestly surprised to see such low ratings for this book and I wonder if actual middle-grade readers would have conflicting opinions about its quality. I am definitely looking forward to the sequel!

• Goosebumps: Horrors of the Witch House
  • Hotel Dare
  • Stargazing
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • The Breakaways
  • Pandora's Legacy
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (the Graphic Novel)
  • The Silver Eyes (Five Nights at Freddy's Graphic Novel #1)
  • Witches in Training (Hex Vet, #1)
  • The Okay Witch
  • Zatanna & the House of Secrets
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Doodleville (Doodleville, #1)
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy
  • Middle School Misadventures
  • I Survived The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 : A Graphix Book
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice

R. L. Stine b

Just Beyond (6 books)
  • A Strange Discovery (Just Beyond #2)
  • A Monster's Lunch (Just Beyond #3)
  • No Escape (Just Beyond #4)
  • Just Beyond: Welcome to Beast Island