Start by marking “Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)” as Want to Read:
Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)

Indoor Recess

(Lumberjanes (Collected Editions) #13)

On a rainy day at Lumberjanes camp, the Roanokes explore tabletop gaming (with bonus magic!), and the underground tunnels beneath the Mess Hall.

The woods surrounding Miss Qinzella Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpets Camp for Hardcore Lady-Types are home to more incredible magical critters and beings than anyone could possibly imagineunfortunately, on this particular day, its
Published February 6th 2020 by BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Indoor Recess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indoor Recess

Start your review of Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
Enne (they/them)
I enjoyed this one! I think in this one, the creators took a step away from the traditional plot of the Lumberjanes novels and they did something a bit different and I really liked it! I liked how we were following two different stories throughout the volume and we were flipping between the two. I liked how there were other characters besides the Roanokes who were actually getting screentime!! Barney, aka the love of my life and the reason I'm still reading this series. Unfortunately, I still ...more
Devann
Another cute volume of Lumberjanes! Not a lot happens in terms of the overarching plot, but it's still fun to see what kinds of shenanigans they can all get up to even if it should just be a rainy day where they are all supposed to stay inside. ;) I liked that we got to see two separate and extremely different ways of passing the time, and I always love seeing more of Barney and Artemis and campers from other cabins.
Jessica Haider
I didn't love this one quite as much as the previous installments in the series.
Cale
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
By stretching the definition of "inside" in a way that is very much in keeping for these characters, what sounds like a bottle episode manages to turn into one of their more active adventures. There are two stories going - one exploring oversized insects and dark paths below the camp, and the other a tabletop game that continuously grows in size and complexity. I enjoyed both plots a lot, although I think the game story gets the nod as the favored just because of Artemis' involvement.
The art,
Shelley
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's a rainy day and the 'Janes have promised Jen they'll stay inside the mess hall with everyone for the duration of the dangerous storm. Molly, Jo, Barney and Diane end up playing a fellow camper's new game with unexpected twists, while Mal, Ripley and April go on a snack run and end up finding some brand new creatures in an underground excursion that doesn't *technically break the rules. This was hilarious and delightful. I loved Emily's new game, and all the different ways of playing it. The ...more
Samantha Jean
These are really a lot of the same. Which is... Fine. I'd like some more variety of situations or interests. I gave it a 4 star bc I really liked the art, I'm glad they moved on. I did not love the artist from 11 & 12.
Christine Fitzgerald
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another cool adventure with my favorite gang of girls the Lumberjanes!
Maddie
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Liked this one a lot!
luv4pez
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
There wasn't much of a story for this volume. The characters didn't seem to be true to their past selves. The drawing was really different; Mal looked like a different character. I'm not sure why things changed so dramatically from the last volume to this one, but it was a disappointing read.
Sam
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Read as issues!
Arkham Reviews
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-comics
While there was not a lot of plot to this volume, it was certainly a lot of fun. The adventure this time is set on a rainy day, splitting the group in half as they all chose to have different adventures. Jo and Molly help to beta test a friend's remarkably complicated board game, while Ripley, April and Mal sneak off to the kitchen and find themselves trapped in the burrows beneath the camp.

While both stories are lots of fun, I particularly enjoyed Jo and Molly's adventure. While it was a change
Chris Lemmerman
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Trapped indoors by a torrential downpour, the Lumberjanes have to make their own fun - which includes a board game gone mad, and an underground tunnel full of ENORMOUS BUGS. NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

You remember that one scene in the King Kong remake? With the GIANT BUGS? The ENORMOUS SCARY HORRIBLE GIANT BUGS? Yeah, that's half of the plot of this volume, and I, like April, do not like it. I thought there might be more to it than just bugs being bugs, but sometimes bugs are just bugs, even if
MysteriousPanda
I still love the Lumberjanes but its starting to feel like a lot of the depth has gone. The stories are getting a bit rushed, the artwork is looking a bit hastily done and some of the plots are bit samey/to quickly wrapped up. This volume was a bit better than the last, I found myself chuckling at various moments and it was cool to see the group split up a bit and have two stories running parallel. But several of the issues lately have been less focused on the main characters and a lot more ...more
Katie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This Lumberjanes book wasnt quite as adventurous as the others, as the girls are stuck inside the mess hall on a rainy day. I still find the book enjoyable, and you get to see a few new quirks of each of their personalities. Molly and Jo get wrapped up in an epic board game created by another camper. Meanwhile, April, Mal, and Ripley sneak into the kitchen to steal some snacks. Magic, knitting, and giant bugs are all involved in this graphic novel! The Lumberjanes do not disappoint! ...more
Hannah
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another sweet Lumberjanes installment. I enjoyed how this volume was fairly plot-light and allowed the characters to go on some smaller-stakes adventures and spend quality time together. Is it just me or has the "manual" entry about the badges at the end of each volume gotten less corny? I miss when there were several pages of lame, faux-poorly-written scout manual, but that's a minor bone to pick with this completely delightful series.
Erica
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The regular "message from the high council" feature at the beginning of each volume was extra special in this one...words I really needed to hear at this moment in time. At first I didn't like the new artist, but their renditions of the characters grew on me (although I do wish they would stop changing artists so much). Also, there's nothing cuter than a raccoon wearing a raccoon hat (knitted, of course). Didn't much add to the overall storyline but an enjoyable trip nonetheless.
Jennifer Ranger
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This was another great addition to the Lumberjanes series. The action was more laid-back than some of the other volumes, but enough happened to keep it interesting. The character development was also good. As someone who created impossible board games in my youth, I appreciated the invented board game that was part of this issue. I highly recommend this comedic, fantasy graphic novel series.
Mitchell
The art is not improving. And the story is a fine relatively pointless kids bug adventure. And a geeky take on Settlers of Catan. Readable. But basically pointless. And thus bringing me current to this series. Don't think this series is worth all that much, though I'd certainly show it to grade school kids.
John
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Two awesome parallel adventures as one trio of janes finds a hidden tunnel in the pantry inhabited by outsized creepy crawlies while the rest, trapped in the lunchroom during a heavy storm, banish boredom with a board game that turns pretty Machiavellian. The drawing isnt my favorite style, but its still OK. ...more
Abigail Pankau
On a rainy day, all the campers are stuck inside the mess hall. Half the Lumberjanes try to escape the crowded room and end up exploring a tunnel in the kitchen pantry. The other half are play-testing another campers extremely complicated board game. Both groups, of course, get more adventure than expected. Still enjoying this series. ...more
Bexa
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I appreciate that Ripley gets a chance to be a character in this and not just the comedic relief. I enjoyed the board game portion, and would totally play that too. I'm still not over the artwork not being done by the original artist, but I don't think they will ever be returning. Made me giggle out loud numerous times.
Heather
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really solid coherent plot running though all the issues. Funny moments I love the overly complicated board gameIve totally played it myself. I thought the way they deprived simultaneous events I. The two plot lines really worked. However, I do not like the art in this one. The linework seems very crude, just not a fan, even if action was well-depicted. ...more
Shannon
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Individual issue reviews: #49 | #50 | #51 | #52

Total review score: 2.5
Liz
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute and funny volume but didn't add much to the overall story. I did really like Barney in this volume, though and totally relate to April's fear of bugs. Want to hear more about the backstory of the camp and how it slows down time...
Lukas Holmes
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yet another wonderfully fun volume. If you don't love the amount of attention and care Watters gives to a group of kids playing a Settlers/RPG type game in the rain, then I don't know what to do for you.
Air
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was epic! Creepy Tunnels, Great Jump Scares, and Laughs for Days. The giant bug is honestly terrifying. Oh, and that awesome game! I would love to play and had a lot of fun watching the gang play. So much fun!
Elizabeth Mellen
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This was one of the weakest ones to me in a while, I didnt like the radically different art style, and felt like not much happened plot wise. Im curious whats going on with Malmol, and I liked seeing more of Diane interacting with the other girls 🤷♀ ...more
Imogene
Honestly, just when you think that LJ couldnt get sweeter, you get our lovely queer couple enjoying just doing their own thing, knowing that they get to tell each other about it later.

Also an underground world of giant and possible prehistoric bugs
Erin
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really do like a break between the overall plot, and I love when they use different configurations of Janes together.
Katie
Just because something is supposed to be fictional, doesn't mean it won't exist in the Lumberjanes world. Enjoyable as usual, following a super nerdy board game and secret tunnels simultaneously.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lumberjanes: The Shape of Friendship
  • Giant Days Vol. 12
  • Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11
  • Lumberjanes: Bonus Tracks
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
  • The Once and Future King (Rat Queens Vol. 7)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 10  (Giant Days #10)
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 11: Call Your Squirrelfriend
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 8: Yancy Street Legends
  • Lumberjanes: A Midsummer Night’s Scheme #1
  • Ms. Marvel Team-Up
  • Hex Vet: The Flying Surgery (Hex Vet, #2)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 3: Encore
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Lumberjanes Vol. 15
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
(from Twitter profile):Senior Editor at BOOM! Studios | Head of BOOM! Box | Co-Creator/Writer of Lumberjanes | your favorite boy band butch [she/her]

Lumberjanes (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)
  • Friendship to the Max (Lumberjanes, Vol. 2)
  • A Terrible Plan (Lumberjanes, Vol. 3)
  • Out of Time (Lumberjanes, Vol. 4)
  • Band Together (Lumberjanes, Vol. 5)
  • Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
  • A Bird's-Eye View (Lumberjanes, Vol. 7)
  • Stone Cold (Lumberjanes, Vol. 8)
  • On a Roll (Lumberjanes, Vol. 9)
  • Parents' Day (Lumberjanes, Vol. 10)