Start by marking “Cider Revival: Dispatches from the Orchard” as Want to Read:
Cider Revival: Dispatches from the Orchard

Cider Revival: Dispatches from the Orchard

Cider is having a major moment, and The Cider Revival charts its history, resurgence, and a year with the vanguard makers of heritage cider

Cider is the quintessential American beverage. Drank by early settlers and founding fathers, it was ubiquitous and pervasive, but following Prohibition when orchards were destroyed and neglected, cider all but disappeared. In The Cide
Published September 3rd 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Cider Revival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cider Revival

Start your review of Cider Revival: Dispatches from the Orchard
Beth Cato
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of this book via NetGalley.

Cider is as important a food within American history as, well, apple pie, but it's not often given the respect it deserves. When it comes to alcohol, beer and wine usually get the attention. Jason Wilson does good work to correct that imbalance in The Cider Revival, a thoughtful analysis of the American cider industry and how it has evolved in recent years, and ways in which that is both a good and bad thing.

I love cider, but I confess, I di
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This book is not a cookbook but a book about Cider - how it is made, the various cideries (kinda like a winery), and the history. The author takes us on a journey through several cideries where he shares conversations with the owners, gives us an in depth look at how cider is made, why it is making a comeback, the science behind cider, and so much more.

I'm going to be honest here (and probably embarrass myself), but I thought cider was flavored beer.  I don't drink beer so when I see cider on a
Tina  Izguerra
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The Cider Revival" by Jason Wilson is an excellent overview of the cider industry and history. I was pleasantly surprised by many of the aspects of the cider industry and look forward to applying the new knowledge when purchasing cider in the future. Wilson does a great job in this book, and I look forward to purchasing it.
Dennis
Jan 01, 2020 added it
Good book about cider; gives me some good places to check out should I ever make it back to New York state. Also includes references to some folks I know from the Northman cider pub located here in Chicago.
Molly
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Cider is my favorite beverage of choice so it was such a disappointment that I found this book ho hum. I learned a little about the craft, but so much less than I wanted to know. Mostly, this is the story of a man’s conversations and experiences with ‘cider experts.’ It didn’t hold me.
Janet

Rebecca M
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
​As someone currently living in the midst of New England apple country and who has certainly benefited from the cider revival, at least from a consumer perspective, I was excited to dig into The Cider Revival: Dispatches from the Orchard by Jason Wilson. This book is a great overview of cider, its history and making, as well as its recent comeback. While some parts were a bit technical, I enjoyed the thoroughness and background and thought it was overall well researched and well written. I also ...more
Csimplot Simplot
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!
Lisa
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With so much emphasis on beer and wine, it was so refreshing to savor a book all about cider. Jason Wilson has painted such a vivid and intricate historical portrait of an often overlooked beverage. Admittedly, there were parts of this book that were far over my head, but I enjoyed it immensely, none the less. I share in Wilson’s excitement that cider is making such a comeback, with cideries springing up locally. If you love cider and enjoy learning about the origins and evolution of drinks you ...more
Jessica
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: farming
Cider was the beverage of choice in early America until Prohibition caused many cider orchards to be abandoned or chopped down. Then dessert or eating apples took over in agriculture and many heritage cider apple varieties were lost. In the last few years cider has come back with dozens of small orchards and cider mills have popped up all over the country - mostly in Northern areas where apples grow well like the Northeast, Michigan, and the Pacific Northwest. Jason Wilson has written extensivel ...more
Mary
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-rated
I really like cider. Really. REALLY. I think beer is all pretty gross, wine is ok, but cider is my THING. The big uptick in cider production that’s happened has been amazing as far as I’m concerned, and so I was incredibly excited about this book. And it generally came through for me.
I’m in the south, so I have next to no knowledge of how anything in the north works, local cideries are pretty rare down here. I very much enjoyed his conversations with both the bigger and smaller producers and th
Pattie Tierney
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first became acquainted with cider while my husband and I were living in London where they call it scrumpy. I am not a beer or ale drinker, so during one of our many visits to our neighborhood pub, decided to give scrumpy a try, once I did, there was no looking back. Upon our return to the States, I would seek out various cider mills in order to taste their wares, comparing it with what I remembered of scrumpy; it was a tasty journey. Abrams publishing’s new release The Cider Revival by Jason ...more
Rachael
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and am very glad I got a chance to read it. I love the cover of this book. That, and the words inside, make you feel as if you are in the orchards alongside the author. I didn't know anything about cider before reading and I think I learned something. Also I learned new things about apples and apple trees. It was a very interesting, informative read and well worth the time for anyone with an interest in the subject.
Linda
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
In my NF mix. Because I love cider and hard cider, and grew up with Sunday orchard drives each fall in upstate N.Y.
Of course they are "pommeliers", and bitter apples, lost heritage apples being grafted back...all in a crisp magazine expose style.
Do you remember Northern Spies?
Kari Bourgeois
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thorough and romantic in a way.
Anna
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
All you have ever wanted to know about Cider and then some! A great book on the history of Cider and all that it entails.
John Hendricks
Interesting peek into the world of cider. A bit repetitious in spots, but the easy conversational tone makes up for it. Minus One Star for the bizarre, incongruous anti-Trump screeds they inexplicably appeared mid-book.
Jessica Gontarek
Sep 25, 2019
Bob S
Dec 08, 2019

• You Do You: Proud to Be Fabulous
  • Uncultivated: Wild Apples, Real Cider, and the Complicated Art of Making a Living
  • The Yoga Plate: Bring Your Practice into the Kitchen with 108 Simple  Nourishing Vegan Recipes
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Multiplication Facts 0-12 with Answers
  • The Saturday Night Ghost Club
  • American Duchess: A Novel of Consuelo Vanderbilt
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
JASON WILSON is the author of Godforsaken Grape: A Slightly Tipsy Journey through the World of Strange, Obscure, and Underappreciated Wine, to be published in April by Abrams Books.
Wilson is also the author of Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits, and the series editor of The Best American Travel Writing since its inception in 2000.
A regular contributor t