Jump to ratings and reviews

Scream With Me: The Enduring Legacy of the Misfits

The ultimate visual history paying tribute to one of punk’s most iconic bands

Formed in 1977, the Misfits deeply influenced the genres of punk rock and metal alike by blending their music with horror film themes and imagery. This is their visual story as told through the original ephemera that helped define their legacy. Scream With Me spotlights the band’s iconic and influential album and single art, fan club merchandise, original posters, show flyers, and one-of-a-kind, never-before-seen rarities, culled primarily from the extensive collection of archivist Umberto D’Urso.

Additionally, the book prominently features insightful contributions on the band’s legacy from members of Metallica, Pearl Jam, Avenged Sevenfold, Dropkick Murphys, and more. For more than 40 years, the band has had an inescapable influence on popular culture and Scream With Me is the ultimate tribute to the original, beloved Misfits era.

176 pages, Hardcover

1 book1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews
Profile Image for Dr. Detroit.
246 reviews34 followers
September 19, 2022
I dunno… The whole Misfits thing seems blown way out of proportion, even in Detroit, where we like our men in heavy makeup (Alice Cooper, New York Dolls, Insane Clown Posse, anyone?). I like “Walk Among Us” alright but the rest of their catalog? Not so much. Send your complaints care of Goodreads.

Coop tried to get me to go see them at Clutch Cargo’s back in 1982, with Negative Approach opening. By that time, with a double bill like that, it was painfully obvious punk was dead or, at the very least, smelled funny. All ages show? Hard pass. Too old for hardcore, too young to die.

But the Misfits memorabilia market is ever so lucrative. I somehow wound up with the first pressing of the “3 Hits From Hell” EP, the original vinyl pressing of “Walk Among Us” on Ruby, and the original pressing of the “Halloween” single in my collection (not really sure how or why) and sold all three to some guy from Philly for $1,400. It was too easy, like shooting fish in a barrel, but he was ecstatic. So was I. I went out and blew it all on new Klipsch speakers, two fishing reels and tackle galore, several books, booze, a new TV, a DVD player, Psychedelic Furs tickets, Kraftwerk tickets, and a bunch of other stuff I don’t remember. It was fun.

But if you’re a Misfits fan, rejoice! This one is a treasure trove of visual back history, including record sleeves, photos, badges, and flyers. Lots and lots of flyers.

For fans only.
Profile Image for Tom.
90 reviews2 followers
August 16, 2020
Misfits have been one of my favourite bands since I was 13 so I knew that I was gonna be a sucker for this book. This was a fantastic behind the scenes collection of rare photos, merch, setlists, fiend club memorabilia, and oddities spanning back and covering the entirety of the Danzig era Misfits.

There’s also interviews with some high profile fans/musicians such as Kirk Hammett, Jacob Bannon, Walter Schreifels, Barney Greenway, Dwid Hellion and many others.

I really loved the in-depth analysis concerning the artistic methods and techniques that were used to appropriate their aesthetic and imagery, which was mainly influenced from the popular culture, horror films and comicbooks of their time. Highly recommended for anyone who loves Misfits.
Profile Image for David Paco.
18 reviews
April 6, 2020
This is a fantastic collection of the visual history of the “original” Misfits. One truly gets the opportunity to appreciate their DIY ethos and the way that Glenn created their aesthetic. The recollections from peers and fans are great. Reading stories of Glenn and Jerry hanging out at film screenings and breaking into graveyards on Stanton Island together helps to overlook their years of legal battles and appreciate what they accomplished in six short years.
Profile Image for Bryan.
469 reviews3 followers
May 20, 2020
My early teenage self would’ve LOVED this book as I was obsessed with the Misfits during those years. At the time the internet was in its early stages so I would frequent Misfits fan pages to see photos and artifacts of the band’s stuff!

Big applause to the peeps that put this together. Nice little nostalgic trip down memory lane.
Profile Image for Kevin Gentilcore.
92 reviews1 follower
April 5, 2020
Admittedly when I bought this book I just assumed it was a biography of The Misfits. To my surprise and fucking delight it's much more of a visual history of the original era of the band. There's a bit of band history there but it's more the history of their visual design and look, something I've always thought the Misfits fucking nailed, perhaps even more than their music. Not to say the music isn't classic, it fucking is, but the look and design of the Misfits has endured so much longer than (the original inception) of the band.

I've always felt that Glen Danzig is often not credited as much as he should be for his multiple innovative and creative contributions to punk, metal, and music as whole. Likely overlooked due to his humorless demeanor and dick-ish behavior, but one of his lasting legacies is the branding and design used in the original Misfits era and this book chronicles pretty much everything they ever branded with a Crimson Ghost or a band logo. So much has been said about the band and their music and that Crimson Ghost logo is fucking ubiquitous nowadays so it's about time somebody delved into the actual history of their branding because it's among the best every conceived and produced.
Profile Image for Jose.
886 reviews
January 10, 2021
Scream With Me the enduring legacy of the Misfits Book is Fiendishly good but it is more of a memorabilia book with some photos,captions and brief intro by some dude in SC who like some in the book get the wrong impression of my favorite band going way back. Never one for political punkmusic, the band was horror not antiestablishment and that's why I love them. I highly recommend it even though it's a quick read hardcover with no dustjacket. This book ,the stains book,Eerie Von's misery obscura and if you can find it which I did and it is better than this book the Teenagers From Mars Misfits book which has way more,and plenty of pictures. The Misfits are the best band in the world.
Profile Image for Ty Stranglehold.
20 reviews
May 4, 2020
A lot of emphasis placed on the visual/graphic aspect of the band. Beautifully laid out. I would have liked a little more substance and information on the written side of things. That can be forgiven though because the book is so damn nice to look at.
It's too bad the band's core members are too old, cranky and focused on litigation to be bothered to take part in something like this. With their participation, this could have been the definitive tome the Misfits deserved. Without them, it is still a nice visual history.
February 19, 2020
A hardcover visual history of the Misfits, this book is absolutely gorgeous: the rich colors and overall design are completely striking and the selection of band artwork, records, flyers and memorabilia is thorough and informative. Can’t believe they couldn’t get a pull quote from Rollins (a Misfits superfan) to add to the list of contributors, but that’s just wishful thinking on my part. Highly recommended.
258 reviews11 followers
January 6, 2020
If you are a fan of prime period Misfits (77-83), then this collection of Misfits ephemera is pretty swank. Gig flyers, variants of the single pressings, t-shirts, set lists, studio tapes, etc. professionally presented with personal remembrances from the cool (Chris Gates) to "who is this?" (some dude from Avenged Sevenfold).
Profile Image for CHAD FOSTER.
156 reviews4 followers
January 16, 2020
This book is essential for any Misfits fan. It is a visual experience that transports the reader back to the band's early years. The often grainy photos communicate what Glenn, Jerry, and the boys were (and are) all about. The blend of low-budget sci-fi and horror movies combined with raw bass and guitars to give the band a distinctly original image and sound.
Profile Image for Joe.
304 reviews24 followers
May 4, 2020
This is a great visual history into the seminal punk band the Misfits. L. It’s also a snapshot of late 70.s NYC punk scene. In it are anecdotes by various musicians and fans along with original flyer artwork, t shirt designs, and fan club mailings created by Glenn Danzig. A must have if you are a fan.
Profile Image for Jim.
201 reviews1 follower
January 30, 2020
All of the photos, art, and artifacts of this book are great. I wish there'd been a bit more history and stories from people a bit more connected to the band, but overall a great book for Misfits fans.
Profile Image for Tj.
799 reviews7 followers
January 11, 2020
The interviews and quotes from guys like Kirk Hammett and Jake Bannon were great, and the art and flyers were awesome. Gonna be cranking Misfits jamz all weekend now.
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.