Start by marking “Women on Food” as Want to Read:
Women on Food

Women on Food

Women on Food unites the radical, diverging female voices of the food industry in this urgent, moving, and often humorous collection of essays, interviews, questionnaires, illustrations, quotes, and ephemera.

Edited by Charlotte Druckman and featuring esteemed food journalists and thinkers, including Soleil Ho, Nigella Lawson, Diana Henry, Carla Hall, Samin Nosrat, Racha
Published October 29th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Women on Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women on Food

Start your review of Women on Food
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Charlotte Druckman gathers a wide swath of women who have food-related careers. There are essays published here for the first time, interviews with specific characters, and group answers to some of her questions.

There is most definitely a certain amount of tension in these pages - female chefs are always asked about the female part of being chefs. So even in this attempt to bring more attention to them, they are forced into this position of answering the questions they always answer. And the ans
Nursebookie
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley, Author and Editor, and Publisher for allowing me to review this ebook as an ARC.

This book is divided into a series of essays and questionnaires, as an anthology of women chefs and food writers. The book features notable celebrity chefs: Rachael Ray, Nigela Lawson and about 115 other women chefs/celebrities. This is a very good read for those interested in any read regarding #metoo movement, the evolution of food through the decades, and other foodie momentos! I am certai
Janet

Edited by Charlotte Druckman and featuring est
Chava
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This anthology of written works by women on the topic of food is very interesting. I've read some of the authors before in the anthologies released by "The Best American Series" but it was nice to see an anthology that focuses on female voices specifically. For all the years of being relegated to the kitchen, women continue to be surprisingly underrepresented in the world of professional food critics, chefs, and restaurateurs, save television cooking shows focused on teaching the home cook. This ...more
Jessica
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-food
This is a really unique book that highlights women's voices related to food. Comprised of essays, interviews, and short Q&A's topics from food memories, the #metoo movement, and how women writers and chefs are treated differently than their male counterparts are all covered in some way and sometimes in many ways throughout this book. At first it felt choppy and slow, but for me it picked up steam along the way. I'll be honest the majority of the people represented were people I wasn't familiar w ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, books-to-review
This book is a little different because it has stories and insights from women writers, chefs, critics, television stars, and eaters along with short snippets on a variety of subjects from truths about mothers, failing up and down, misconceptions about strong women in various fields, interviews with various women. and even some thank you notes to those that helped out these women along the way.

This book is not meant to be consumed in one sitting but rather savored like an amazing dessert or a fi
Leigh
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The editor is occasionally a little too self-consciously woke, but I really, really enjoyed this book. Beautifully written essays by a variety of writers who I didn't know but will definitely follow now and fascinating perspectives on being a woman in all aspects of the business of food. ...more
Kayo
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
You know when you go to a restaurant and the menu is so huge and there's so much to look at and it just gets to much? Well, this is that book.
Not impressed.

Thanks to Goodreads for the giveaway. While I got the book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Vincent
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've ever read, and almost certainly my favorite food related book. (Although that feels weird to say since this book is about so much more than food)

Below were my favorite parts, but in general almost everything was great and essential reading. The breadth of perspectives and the intersectionality inherent in this book are really special. I really hope a lot of people, white men especially, read this book.

Tienlon Ho's "The Months of Magical Eating"
Priya Krishna's "
Carol
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Editor Charlotte Druckman has compiled an interesting and comprehensive collection of essays, interviews, questionnaires, and much more about women in the world of food. These include writers, chefs, critics, and others in the food industry. It is a good book to enjoy in parts. I particularly enjoyed the questionnaire sections where various women would be polled on a topic, such as "What's the best thing since sliced bread?" I also enjoyed some of the interviews, particularly Rachel Ray's story. ...more
Joan
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Definitely a mixed bag of material, some really interesting, like the account of the rivalry between legendary restaurant critics Mimi Sheraton and Gael Greene, and an interview with Racheal Ray, but so much rather boring navel gazing and kvetching when Charlotte Druckman asks women working in the food world various questions and they give their responses.

The design of the book is troublesome. It's a paperback, but big and heavy, printed on a thick stock and with lots of space that could be bett
Kat
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
"When I flip through magazines and see the names of women chefs, ones who may not fit into an ideal of beauty, get a best restaurant nod without their faces shown only to be rarely mentioned again, while style-conscious bloggers and lightweight figures receive a seemingly disproportionate amount of coverage, I wonder if amidst all this beautifully designed rah-rah food feminism we've moved forward or back".
Mari Uyehara's piece in this collection is spot on in articulating what I have been thinki
pianogal
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book started out a little slow for me. Sometimes the question and answer segments were kind of hard to wade through. But starting with the Carla Hall interview to the end, I thought the book picked up quite nicely. My only complaint is that maybe, after 400 pages, we were start to beat the dead horse a little with the whole "don't judge me cuz I'm a women" trope. They weren't wrong, but I felt like that had been asked and answered already.

Overall, good read.
Jesica DeHart
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My perspective on food has expanded to envelope a unique collective community of women telling their own stories. Brave women forging their voices, rights, representation, creativity and sense of connection with each other and those they feed. The book presents and reads like a conversation and diaglogue that is at times deeply vulnerable, funny and thought provoking. I invite you to pick this book up and join the conversation.
Pam Frederick
Nov 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
The book provided a fascinating insight into the minds and life of professional women in the food industry. Each section can be read alone so I could easily read about one chef for example and read another section at a later time. I strongly recommend this book for women interested in the food industry. I learned a lot about the talent required for success.
David
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great great, dense collection of pieces by and about women food writers, reporters and chefs. Entertaining, serious, fun and informative. Aside from a take-down of MFK Fisher, I loved it. It's the kind of book you never really finish reading. ...more
Susan
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. It's is comprised of little vignettes & essays regarding women & their relationship to food. I enjoyed this book. It's a little choppy & doesn't flow well at times, but otherwise is very entertaining & insightful. ...more
Portia
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are interested in eating, cooking, cook books, food writing and restaurants and are concerned with woman issues this a good book to read.
I obtained it through a Goodreads win, and I am glad.
Megan
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is important. It has a lot of entertaining stories and interviews, but it also tackles sexism and racism head on, something that is sadly still needs to be talked about more.
Mary Tharp
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alot of good information.
Michelle Pulignani
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book.
Edna
Jul 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I DNR, It was not available in PDF form. Corrupt file.I did try several times and reloaded from NetGalley.
Rachel
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. Borrowed it from the library and will have to get my own copy. Full of so many great things!
Cindywho
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays, food
I was lucky to have a long time to read the large book of essays on food writing. Too many to remember/list but I was especially moved by the C-word (complicity) by Druckman.
Beth
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, nonfiction
The author does a good job at the beginning of the book explaining that this is a collection of stories and thoughts. She practically says, although doesn't use these exact words, "Maybe you should think about reading this slowly and not 'straight through'." I didn't listen - I read it straight through and by the end I was very ready to be done. That's on me.

Here's what is excellent about the book - the questions that are asked of the women are incredibly thoughtful and their responses are equal
Npks
Jan 31, 2020
Aretah Ettarh
Dec 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Best American Food Writing 2019 (The Best American Series ®)
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Dominicana
  • Burn the Place: A Memoir
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • The Poison Garden
  • Montauk
  • Meal
  • David Mogo, Godhunter
  • From Freezer to Instant Pot: The Cookbook: How to Cook No-Prep Meals in Your Instant Pot Straight from Your Freezer
  • Raised Bed Gardening for Beginners: Everything You Need to Know to Start and Sustain a Thriving Garden
  • Are You Kidding Me?! Chronicles of an Ordinary Life
  • You and I Eat the Same: On the Countless Ways Food and Cooking Connect Us to One Another (MAD Dispatches, Volume 1)
  • The Topeka School