Start by marking “In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery #1)

In the Hall with the Knife

(Clue Mystery #1)

A murderer could be around every corner in this thrilling YA trilogy based on the board game CLUE!

When a storm strikes at Blackbrook Academy, an elite prep school nestled in the woods of Maine, a motley crew of students—including Beth “Peacock” Picach, Orchid McKee, Vaughn Green, Sam “Mustard” Maestor, Finn Plum, and Scarlet Mistry—are left stranded on campus with thei
Expected publication: October 8th 2019 by Amulet Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• In the Hall with the Knife by Diana Peterfreund
    In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery #1)
    Release date: Oct 08, 2019

Availability: 25 copies available, 1298 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 08 - Aug 07, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about In the Hall with the Knife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Hall with the Knife

karen
    May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

clue is my favorite movie of all time.

y’all can keep your highly esteemed oscar-winning period pieces and your obscure arthouse fillums—i’ll be over here watching this movie where the chick from the go-go’s and the dude from fear both get murrrrderrrred. in a house. with a weapon. <-— no spoilers here!

when i first heard about this book, it was as though the heavens opened up and rained down jellybeans: a book based(ish) on my favorite movie, written by the lady who brought killer unicorns i
    megs_bookrack
    ARC received!!!
    Amulet Books, thank you so much.

Clue was a big part of my childhood so this is going to be hella nostalgic for me! I cannot wait.

Catie
    May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
    3 1/2 stars

This was delightful. Fans of the movie and the board game alike will be amused by Peterfreund's creative incorporation of the Clue suspects, the mansion (with all of its hidden passageways), the odd/random weapons, and of course, the delicious motives. This is the start of a series, and Peterfreund solves the initial crime while leaving plenty of unmined scandal and twists to fuel further installments. I will definitely continue!
    Misti
    Mar 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Clue and Diana Peterfreund? I'll bite.
    Samantha
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
    The butler did it.

Just kidding, there is no butler in this story, though that’s about the level of predictability we’re dealing with.

In the Hall with the Knife is a fun book that I didn’t mind reading at all, but the solve is as obvious as they come.

Sorry, I had to.

I liked the setting for the story and the pacing is good. The writing isn’t great (“...crackling on the ground like breakfast cereal.” Wait...what?), but it also isn’t completely awful. Had the murderer not been so painfully obvio
    Mindy
    Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
    2.5/5

**Disclaimer: I received a free electronic ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

Although I haven't played the board game CLUE in quite a while, nor have I watched the movie, this book is based on them. I find the game to be fun, but this book, maybe not so much.

Perhaps it's just me, but the names/nicknames made things a bit confusing at times because actual names and nicknames were used interchangeably. I'm pretty sure the weird nicknames were the names in the game, and not
    Mandy
    *heavy breathing*

Hello, OFFICIAL most anticipated book of 2019. Y'all don't know how ready I am for this. You can say I'm already in the library with the candlestick because I knocked over the candle in my excitement for this, and now I'm burning the candles in wait for this.
    Kaethe Douglas
    Jul 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
    As a Fan of Truly Devious, boarding schools, and mysteries, not to mention Clue my favorite boardgame and one of my top 10 movies, I am so looking forward to this. And the two more to follow. I particularly like that touch: I choose to see it as an homage to the film's three endings.
    Nadine Jones
    WHAT IS THIS??????? I love Clue, and I love Diana Peterfreund, so I would like this NOW please.
    Karyn Silverman
    Ridiculous good fun.
    Brenna Clark
    May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to Edelweiss for the ARC of this novel! Having grown up on not only 80s movies but also an avid lover of murder mysteries, my interest in Clue is really a no-brainer. The fact that the game has made its way through various fandoms and remakes to now become a YA series is just amazing to me. I was so excited to be accepted for it and to test my mettle as I attempted to sniff out the culprit of the crime. This task was no easy one; as we are introduced to a cast of characters who all hav ...more
    Billie
    Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
    Clue? At boarding school? Catnip.

The execution? Left much to be desired.

There's a lot going on here and not all of it gets resolved by the end of the book. The characters all have secrets, not all of which are revealed to the reader. The characters tend toward the flat and stereotypical. I mean, look, it's Clue, so the characters being cliches or stereotypes or caricatures is fine, but only if you take it over the top or twist it in some way. But to just make them boring was so disappointing. An
    Courtney HT
    Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I absolutely loved this book. The author did a phenomenal job of using the game "Clue" to create a story. From the conservatory to the billiards, to the study, the library, the secret passages, the weapons, and the characters, the author turned the game into a compelling story.

The characters were well developed. I particularly liked Orchid and Vaughn's backstories. The author does use the character n
    AllyKatt
    Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3.7?

I admit, I had higher hopes for this book in the strict sense that "Clue" is my favorite board game and one of my favorite books. So, I went in expecting one thing and ended up with something else. That said, this is a good book. Yes, it has the elements of "Clue" such as hidden passage ways, references to the staple murder weapons in the game, 'colorful' characters, and all the various rooms.

The book takes place at a 'rich kids' school. A savage storm rolls in and leaves a few people stran
    Nicole
    Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2019, arc, mystery, ya-lit
    I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is based upon the beloved board game "Clue." However, unlike the beloved game from my childhood, I did not love (or even like) the book that much.

The book borrows the familiar rooms, weapons, and people (I think? The names weren't 100% familiar, but I'm not sure if it's because my version of "Clue" is like 20 years old or if it's because this is set at a boarding school and the author felt the need to make the charac
    CR
    Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    If you grew up with the game and movie of CLUE then this book will be one for you to grab!! I thought it was a lot of fun to share with my kids something from my own childhood. This being a young adult title just made it all the more fun! I loved that the author used things from the game! The flow of the story was pretty perfect and I can not wait for the next installment!!

Go Into This One Knowing: Did someone say CLUE?
    Melissa Flanagin
    Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: teen-fiction
    **Thank you edelweiss.com for the advance copy to read for my honest review***

What a great start to this YA mystery series.

I truly enjoyed this book, can't wait for the next one in the series. This will be fun!!! If you grew up watching the movie and playing the game CLUE you will enjoy this book as well.

Diana really embodied all the characters from the game and movie.
    Brenda
    Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
    I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did, because it's Clue and all, but I felt it came up short. The plot was a little slow for my liking. I loved the concept and set-up, but felt that the story lacked something. Since it's supposed to be a series, I'm wondering what the next book will be like.
    Nicole
    Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
    2.5 - I liked the concept a lot and it was definitely entertaining and a quick read, but the side plots were all over the place and Peacock unforgivably gets the “flames on the side of my face” quote.
    Elaine
    Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
    Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of the novel. I enjoyed both the boardgame and the movie so I was excited about the book. It geared for a ya audience. Read it if you like both.
    Rachel
    Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3.5 stars. I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

I loved Clue, both the board game and movie, so I was pretty pumped for this book. It’s good, entertaining, and I enjoyed it.
    Cherie
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: fiction, ya, middle-grades
    DNF. Mystery.Good for fans of "The Cheerleaders." Murder mystery. What happens when a snowstorm traps a select few in a prestigious boarding school and someone is murdered?
    Tracie
    Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Breakfast Club meets Clue meets The Secret History in this truly delightful mystery that had me guessing until the very last page.
    Andréa
    Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
    R.K. Syrus
    Emmalee
    May 05, 2019
    Nancy
    Jul 05, 2019
    Diana Peterfreund has been a costume designer, a cover model, and a food critic. Her travels have taken her from the cloud forests of Costa Rica to the underground caverns of New Zealand (and as far as she’s concerned, she’s just getting started). Diana graduated from Yale University in 2001 with dual degrees in Literature and Geology, which her family claimed would only come in handy if she wrote ...more