Jump to ratings and reviews

Clue Mystery #1

In the Hall with the Knife

A murderer could be around every corner in this thrilling YA trilogy based on the board game CLUE!

When a storm strikes at Blackbrook Academy, an elite prep school nestled in the woods of Maine, a motley crew of students—including Beth “Peacock” Picach, Orchid McKee, Vaughn Green, Sam “Mustard” Maestor, Finn Plum, and Scarlet Mistry—are left stranded on campus with their headmaster. Hours later, his body is found in the conservatory and it’s very clear his death was no accident. With this group of students who are all hiding something, nothing is as it seems, and everyone has a motive for murder. Fans of the CLUE board game and cult classic film will delight in Diana Peterfreund’s modern reimagining of the brand, its characters, and the dark, magnificent old mansion with secrets hidden within its walls.

298 pages, Hardcover

First published October 8, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Diana Peterfreund

48 books2,049 followers
Diana Peterfreund has been a costume designer, a cover model, and a food critic. Her travels have taken her from the cloud forests of Costa Rica to the underground caverns of New Zealand (and as far as she’s concerned, she’s just getting started). Diana graduated from Yale University in 2001 with dual degrees in Literature and Geology, which her family claimed would only come in handy if she wrote books about rocks. Now, this Florida girl lives with her husband and their puppy in Washington D.C., and writes books that rock

Her first novel, Secret Society Girl (2006), was described as “witty and endearing” by The New York Observer and was placed on the New York Public LIbrary’s 2007 Books for the Teen Age list. The follow-up, Under the Rose (2007) was deemed “impossible to put down” by Publisher’s Weekly, and Booklist called the third book, Rites of Spring (Break) (2008), “an ideal summer read.” The final book in the series, Tap & Gown, will be released in 2009. All titles are available from Bantam Dell.

She also contributed to the non-fiction anthologies, Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume, edited by Jennifer O’Connell (Pocket Books, 2007), The World of the Golden Compass, edited by Scott Westerfeld (BenBella Books, 2007), and Through the Wardrobe, edited by Herbie Brennan (BenBella Books, 2008).

Her first young adult novel, Rampant, an adventure fantasy about killer unicorns and the virgin descendents of Alexander the Great who hunt them, will be released by Harper Collins in 2009. When she’s not writing, Diana volunteers at the National Zoo, adds movies she has no intention of watching to her Netflix queue, and plays with her puppy, a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever named Rio.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Profile Image for karen.
3,968 reviews170k followers
October 9, 2019
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

clue is my favorite movie of all time.

y’all can keep your highly esteemed oscar-winning period pieces and your obscure arthouse fillums—i’ll be over here watching this movie where the chick from the go-go’s and the dude from fear both get murrrrderrrred. in a house. with a weapon. <-— no spoilers here!

when i first heard about this book, it was as though the heavens opened up and rained down jellybeans: a book based(ish) on my favorite movie, written by the lady who brought killer unicorns into our lives? yes and please. and THEN, when i walked into the ABA galley room at BEA to find A GIANT STACK of these just sitting there for meeeee (and, i suppose, other ABA members, but mostly just ME), oh how those jellybeans POURED.

much like the storm that stranded the characters in this book!

this is an all-new story, not a retelling of the movie, but all your favorite characters are here—in name, anyway, muppet-baby-style:

headmaster boddy,

beth “peacock” picach,

vaughn green,

sam “mustard” maestor,

finn plum,

scarlet mistry,

mrs. white,

and… orchid mckee.

i do not know why peterfreund decided to separate mrs. white from the others by making her an adult character and filling her role with some non canon gal, but i’m sure she had her reasons. (p.s. please tell me your reasons)

the plot here is no surprise—it is the plot of the movie and the point of the board game: there is murder! who has done it? and although the murder weapon is never in doubt (HINT: it is part of the title of the book!), other clue-weapons do pop up in the darndest places.

here are plenty of winky-nods to the movie, and there are secret passages

and secret agendas

and secret letters

and…secrets.

IS this the best locked-room mystery i have ever read? no. but DOES it explicitly reference the most iconic scene from the best movie of all time?

three and a half stars, rounded up and i will continue happily with the rest of the series.

**********************************************

i am very excited for this.

very excited.

come to my blog!
Profile Image for megs_bookrack.
1,424 reviews9,004 followers
September 17, 2022
**3.5-stars rounded up**

In the Hall with the Knife was an absolute delight to read. It channeled the exact vibe I was hoping for.

This story brought all of the silly, over-the-top drama of the Clue movie and I was living for it!

I decided to pick this up over Halloween week. Going in, I had no idea how perfect that choice would end up being.

Set at a posh boarding school, Blackbrook Academy, on the coast of Maine, this story follows multiple perspectives, including Peacock, Green, Mustard, Scarlet and Mrs. White.

When a winter storm hits, the Academy's access to the mainland gets cut off, stranding a handful of students, the headmaster and a couple of other school employees.

They corral everyone into Tudor House, which seems to be a geographic highpoint and therefore has managed to escaped major flooding.

The manse generally acts as a girls boarding house, with Mrs. White at its head, but they manage to find room for everyone.

The house includes all of the stately charm you would anticipate with hardwoods, stained glass, and rooms such as the lounge, billiard room and conservatory. Oh, and secret passageways, don't forget the secret passageways.

When on the first night, the headmaster ends up dead, our intrepid characters are left to figure out what happened.

Some suggest an accident, other suggest suicide, but very quickly it is clear that it was murder.

I had a ton of fun reading this. It was campy, it was ridiculous and I thought it was a blast.

I think if you go into it with the right mindset, you will have fun with it too. It is definitely not a story to take too seriously.

I'm actually really excited to pick up the next installment. This one left off at an interesting and sinister spot.

I want more!!!

Profile Image for Chelsea *Slowly Catching Up* Humphrey.
1,390 reviews77.2k followers
September 19, 2019
ARGH. On the one hand, this provided so much of what I was looking for in regards to movie references and cheesy nostalgia, yet I still feel torn due to the difficulty in keeping the characters straight and some of the changes that were made. The reveal felt a little off to me, and heads up, there is a cliffhanger leading out for the second book in the series. Overall, this was a fun, breezy read, and I'll likely continue on with the trilogy. More thoughts to come closer to publication date.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy via NetGalley.
Profile Image for Amy Imogene Reads.
881 reviews760 followers
October 13, 2020
We all know the story: The mansion. The colorful guests. The murder. The secret passageways. The weapons.

Mr. Boddy was murdered in the lounge with the candlestick. Or was it the wrench? Or maybe the revolver?

(In the case of In the Hall with the Knife, I bet you can guess.)

I honestly didn't know what to expect when this ARC arrived at my doorstep. I was in love with Clue as a kid (the movie AND the game) and I knew that I'd like it, at the very least. I didn't expect to love it and read it in one sitting.

In the Hall with the Knife is the perfect read for a casual fall evening. It's fast-paced, the spooky coastal Maine academy was the perfect setting, and the teenage characters were all fun to read in individual POVs. There are some changes to the main script: we have an added POV in Orchid McKee, and Mrs. White was an adult, but I didn't mind these changes—and in a weird way, I really enjoyed Orchid's entrance.

In terms of POV switching, I thought the author did a really good job at conveying each character's individual narrative voice. Even if you'd removed the names in the chapter, I would have known who was narrating—that's impressive, given the large cast list. However, hands down, I loved Peacock's entries the best. Everyone else has traditional chapters with third person narration...and then there's Peacock, who is obsessed with fitness and has her POV done within the context of a 1 page workout journal entry with a "notes" field that spills matter-of-fact details about the actual plot. Loved it.

Now, definitely keep in mind that this novel doesn't take itself seriously. Heck, the Clue movie didn't take itself seriously! The ending isn't a surprise to a discerning reader, but that's not why I loved it. I loved it for the cheese, the camp, and the modern twists to the old nods. It's a fun ride, and even more fun when you realize that it's actually a trilogy.

We haven't heard the last of this group, and so far there's only been one dead body...

(claps hands in excitement)

Thank you so much to Amulet Books for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for myo (myonna reads).
645 reviews6,098 followers
June 12, 2021
this had so much potential but the book was so boring and every character just felt like a stereotypes instead of having actual personalities
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,038 reviews1,499 followers
June 5, 2021
In the Hall with the Knife by Diana Peterfreund is the first book in the new young adult Clue Mystery series. The story in this new young adult mystery/thriller is based on the board game of Clue. As a kid I loved playing and who know over the years that game would end up with so much attention. Seeing that the books were based on the board game I took a closer look and what the author has done is set this in a boarding school which also has always been a draw for me so of course i had to check the series out.

The story is set at Blackbrook Academy which is located in the woods of Maine and takes place during a big storm. The students of the academy, Beth “Peacock” Picach, Orchid McKee, Vaughn Green, Sam “Mustard” Maestor, Finn Plum, and Scarlet Mistry are stranded at the academy along with Mrs White and a handful of other school employees. Already what seems like an endless night becomes even more unbearable when the headmaster is found dead of what seems to be a murder.

In the Hall with the Knife was told from multiple points of view along the way but was easy enough to follow, especially when you are reading about people with the oh so familiar names of the board game. It was perhaps a little campy and silly but it did bring a smile to my face while reading. While this first book came in at three and a half stars for me I had hope that the next in the trilogy will be even better as I will know the characters and what to expect of the style in book two.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/
Profile Image for Mallory.
982 reviews52 followers
November 20, 2021
I loved Clue as a kid (the game and the movie) so when I received a copy of this book I was excited. I do wish the characters had been a little better developed, but the stereotypical characters do fit the heart of the game so I can accept it. I did like that you get the story in pieces from all of the main characters’ perspectives. The mystery was interesting even if you got most of the clues from the title. This was cute and I will probably read the other two in the trilogy when they come out. I gave it 3.5 stars rounded up for the rating.
Profile Image for Jessica.
Author 27 books5,589 followers
December 26, 2019
Whoever came up with this was a frickin' genius! If you're going to make a novelization of a board game, Clue is absolutely the way to go. It already IS a murder mystery, after all! Now you just have to take the characters, flesh them out, and give them a motive for murder! Setting at an elite boarding school, amongst teenagers, was perfect, and gives the story great appeal. There's even a new character, Orchid McKee, with secrets of her own.
Profile Image for Stacee.
2,671 reviews702 followers
October 4, 2019
Clue is one of my all time favorite movies, so there was absolutely no way I was going to miss this one.

This book has a load of characters and we get POV chapters from 6 of them and that was a bit much. I didn’t feel like I really knew any of them and instead of it adding to the mystery, it fell flat.

Plot wise, it was good. There wasn’t a lot of build up or tension and the reveal was fairly lackluster; however, I just noticed this is the start of a series, so there’s that. Oh and the ending does lean more towards a cliffhanger than a resolution.

Overall, it was an interesting set up, but it was missing the fun sparkle the movie had. I’ll likely read the next book.

**Huge thanks to Amulet Books for providing the arc free of charge**
8 reviews
April 14, 2020
This story is based on the clue board games, it follows 8 kids at there private school during a storm/flood. Their headmaster is killed during the night, for an unknown reason. The kids must figure out who murdered their principle. I loved this book and its plot twists! I loved how every chapter would switch to a different character's perspective, and I also love all their backstories, it makes the book 10 times more interesting. I would recommend this book to 12 - 15-year-olds just because its a little mature with blood and murder, people who also love mystery or thiller would love this book as much as I did. Thank you for reading and I hope you decide to read this amazing book!!
May 9, 2020
description

I was *SO* excited for this one, because I am a huge Clue fan - the game, the movie, the old Clue mystery books (remember these '90s gems??) ... But maybe I set my sights too high? This wasn't bad, it was a decent mystery, but I just didn't feel the love I was expecting to feel. The characters didn't really come alive for me, the house was kind of a let-down for a Clue murder setting (there *were* secret passages, so points for that), and overall I just wasn't wowed by the story. If you are familiar with Clue but don't have an obsessive love for it like I do, you may like this one better.

{ Thank you to Shelf Awareness and the publisher for providing a review copy. }
Profile Image for Jennifer☠Pher☠.
2,692 reviews222 followers
Want to read
September 13, 2019
This looks like it was written for the young me. The adult me laughs out loud at the almost $16 Kindle book price. BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Profile Image for Samantha.
1,588 reviews71 followers
January 14, 2020
The butler did it.

Just kidding, there is no butler in this story, though that’s about the level of predictability we’re dealing with.

In the Hall with the Knife is a fun book that I didn’t mind reading at all, but the solve is as obvious as they come.

*The reader, in the first half of the book, with the cliched mystery plot*

Sorry, I had to.

I liked the setting for the story and the pacing is good. The writing isn’t great (“...crackling on the ground like breakfast cereal.” Wait...what?), but it also isn’t completely awful. Had the murderer not been so painfully obvious, I would have actually said this was a pretty good attempt to adapt Clue to written form.

Aside from the obviousness of the culprit, another thing that bugged me: The reader is given information immediately about the weapon and the location. The “who” is the only thing left up in the air. There is a slight complication regarding the first two, but it still felt a bit disingenuous to the spirit of the game to not write a story where we have the opportunity to figure out all three.

I thought the rooms and the names from the game were well incorporated into the book. The weapons (and they’re all there, even if we know exactly which one the killer used right off the bat) felt forced. Technically speaking, a rope and a wrench do make an appearance, but it’s a cringey, dull thud of a plot point.

In all, this is fun as long as you don’t expect too much. And I think it’s a good pick for readers on the younger end of the YA demographic: Murdery enough to be exciting, but nothing too graphic or upsetting and zero other adult content.

A decent, light mystery. I’ll read the rest of the trilogy.

*I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.*
Profile Image for Jess.
2,789 reviews5 followers
February 7, 2021
On the whole, a perfectly enjoyable mystery read. Weirdly edited in places I think--yes, it's a mystery and I get why multi POV was necessary, but I still shouldn't have to page backwards to figure out if I had missed something, I don't think.
Profile Image for Alexa.
Author 5 books3,134 followers
September 29, 2019
A super solid boarding school murder book combined with "snowed in in a remote location" murder mystery trope, so if either/both are your jam, In the Hall with a Knife is a satisfying read. And, yes, it's a Clue tie-in novel: there are plenty of winks and nods to the movie, but that wasn't my favorite aspect honestly. The book is strong on it's own for the Blackbrook school and the assembly of characters, who are named after Clue characters (as they should be) but standalone as their own characters. Diana Peterfreund has crafted an all-around well-drawn "spoiled rich kids with secrets" boarding school setting + cast.

To that end, my favorite aspect of the book was all the worldbuilding and set-up in the first half or so. The atmosphere/tone of the storm, getting to know all the characters with hints of their backstories and secrets... I loved being drawn into the world. Then, despite being a massive fan of the movie, the movie references didn't do much for me--the tone of this book is COMPLETELY different than the film, and that is to the book's credit. It works as it's own thing, and thus for me I didn't need the verbatim lines from the movie/character combos because much of the book stands on its own.

But then there were a few twists/secret reveals that didn't quite land for me? There's one "reveal" in a specific character's POV that felt rather anemic to me. It was meant to build tension and work as a red herring for the "whodunit," but something about the execution confused me rather than titillated. I spent half a chapter confused and feeling like a missed something until it became clear what the "twist" was. However, another "secret twist" aspect of a major character I really loved--the whole build up with Orchid was great and I look forward to more on her in the sequels. I was satisfied with the conclusion though the big "bad guy" confrontation scene definitely got a little soapy and the murderer almost felt OOC.

I do want to include one very important trigger warning for ED sufferers or survivors. Or really anyone who struggles with disordered eating. My LEAST favorite thing in the book was Peacock's "POV" chapters--she doesn't get direct in-POV chapters but rather her "chapters" are excerpts from her diary, wherein she meticulously tracks everything she eats, how much she exercises, and then brief notes on how she's feeling. I skimmed every single line of food with calories and tallies of exercise. I found it too upsetting. I don't consider myself a special snowflake, but I have suffered from disordered eating in the past, and I find calorie tracking triggering. Anyone who is an ED sufferer/survivor needs to skip this book.

A note on the diversity in the book, which is welcome but there was one thing I found slightly disappointing. Among the cast is Scarlet, who is South Asian, and Mustard who is ambiguously referred to as a "fellow person of color" by Scarlet (I thought he was Black b/c it never says in the book and just looked up the Kirkus review that says he has tan skin? I cannot recall AT ALL where in the book it said that--I think it would have been way less coy to just SAY, personally--ambiguous diversity doesn't help anyone?). Mustard is also gay. I was so excited about this! And there were early vibes that maybe Finn (Plum) was queer as well and a potential love interest for Mustard. I was lining up for the shipping! See, Finn and Scarlet are in a "platonic power partnership," which automatically set off queer alarms--made me wonder if one or both of them was ace? But then we find out Finn used to be Peacock's secret boyfriend and I was disappointed. Vaughn (Green) is into Orchid, which leaves no love interest for Mustard in the cast. Give Mustard a boyfriend in the sequel, please! And I'm holding out hope that Scarlet might be queer as well--ace would be great!

The mystery of this book wraps up completely (so it can standalone), but it's clear at the end that more is coming. I believe this is planned as a trilogy? I'm here for it. These are solid, accessible mystery YA books that I think would be suitable for younger readers--a good choice for a tween who loved The Westing Game but is looking for the next level. The characters and setting are fun, and I look forward to the series gaining it's own footing beyond the movie/boardgame.
Profile Image for Katie.
358 reviews67 followers
December 6, 2019
This was so incredibly boring. None of the characters had any significant personality, and it felt like the entire book was just a bunch of whiny teenagers being deliberately obtuse about literally everything. Everyone had some deep, dark secret and I just. Didn't. Care.

For once in my life, I actually figured out the culprit before the big reveal. I'm pretty dumb about mysteries so I usually don't figure it out before the ending, but it really didn't feel like the author was trying to be subtle at all. All the red herrings were obvious red herrings, and the real murderer was obviously the real murderer. This was so underwhelming :(
Profile Image for Cathy.
914 reviews58 followers
September 20, 2020
This was fun! I'm a big fan of the board game and my family and I still play it every now and again so this had a definite nostalgic quality to it as well.

I thought the mystery part was pretty well done, but the characterisation is somewhat of a mess and the various reveals of different characters' secrets was ... weird. I get that the author wants to have suspense, but there was too much 'I have a secret and this is me thinking about it without revealing what it is' going on. That got old really fast.

Still, I'm looking forward to the remaining two books in the trilogy and I'm interested to see where some of the relationships go!
Profile Image for Kaya.
364 reviews64 followers
October 9, 2019
I think we can all agree on two things: one, that mystery trilogies are super hard to do and two, that Clue is one of the BEST movies/games to ever exist. That’s why I was super nervous to read this but I’m happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised by this!

Trigger warnings for murder and (challenged) sexism.

First off, all of the references were golden. I mean, we have all the characters, and obviously the murder was done in the hall! With the knife!* But the other weapons are casually mentioned, and the secret passages!!!! Secret passages are your friends in the game, but I guess not here.

*not a spoiler, i swear. reread the title.

The atmosphere! There’s a huge snowstorm/flood that traps everyone inside an old house on campus and obviously everyone’s different personalities are conflicting and there’s no electricity and it’s so entertaining. It’s not so much of a creepy vibe, but you definitely feel on edge (in a good way!) a lot of the time.

The author did an incredible job of introducing each and every character and having them alternate chapters. What’s even better is that every character is clearly hiding a secret, essentially making each an unreliable narrator.

Orchid is actually the character I forgot existed in Clue (whoops) but of course she ended up being the one I most related to. I don’t know what that says about me…

Scarlet is the gossip of the school, a front-runner in the humanities classes, and is Indian-American! It’s mentioned that she is one of the few people of race in the school, and she aims to fix that.

Plum is Scarlet’s best friend and an incredible scientist. Although, his empathy skills could use a little work.

Mustard is a military kid, and honestly makes some pretty ignorant, sexist comments that are challenged. He’s also described as having olive skin, and I’m not 100% sure what race he is.

Green is a townie, the only kid at Fancy Academy Blackbrook who’s there on scholarship.

Peacock’s perspective is only seen through journal entries, and she’s a temperamental tennis star.

Kayla and Karlee are random, obnoxiously ignorant girls stuck with our other (far more memorable might I add) characters.

Mrs. White is the sweet old lady who’s in charge of Tudor House, where all of our characters end up being trapped.

I guessed the ending, but I wasn’t super mad about it? It was honestly a fun ride, and the characters were only half-dumb. As someone who is also half-dumb 90%* of the time, I really couldn’t blame them for missing a few obvious hints.

*you guessed it! i am fully dumb the other 10% of the time

There was quite a lot of set-up before events actually started rolling. I mean, it makes sense! We have a billion and one (yes that is the official count) characters to introduce, put in place, and establish before things can start going down. But I was never actually bored, it helped to know that murder was on its way!

There seemed to be a few small plot points left unresolved or vaguely mentioned, but I won’t dwell on that too much. This is going to be a trilogy, after all, and I can’t judge based on the first book! I'd highly recommend this for fans of Truly Devious.

And finally, as I said, I guessed the ending which is always a little disappointing, but I can certainly see the potential for future books in this series to shock me!

A huge thank you to Amulet Books for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Profile Image for Jacquelyn Simon.
378 reviews27 followers
January 4, 2020
I'd maybe give this book a 2.5 or 3-star rating.

I found this book to be very anticlimactic with a predictable ending.

I thought this book had SO much promise. I really loved how the different POVs were characters from the board game (except for Orchid, of course.)

I found Orchid’s POV to be so interesting honestly the most mysterious part about the plot. A lot of my interest in her plotline can be accredited to her -SPOILER- I always find that fascinating in characters.

I'm just still frustrated over that ending.

-SPOILER- like, seriously. Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled.

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Katie.
2,628 reviews144 followers
November 17, 2019
This was fun enough for me to give four stars to, but also could've been better. There are a lot of secrets and they're weren't really revealed well, especially since each character gets a POV so you get multiple cases of characters thinking about their big secret without telling you what it was. In particular, the "secret" that bothered me was

I also thought the two K named characters deserved more respect in their portrayal.

(For the record, love the board game! Never saw the movie. It was fun anyway!)
Profile Image for cloudyskye.
752 reviews34 followers
November 19, 2020
What, a cliffhanger ending? I'm still not quite convinced if perhaps a few (epilogue) pages are missing. But no, two more volumes seem to be in the works.

I enjoyed Diana Peterfreund's writing as usual. I also got some vibes of Trapped; the board game, Clue/Cluedo: not so much. Still enjoyed it, I mean, it is set in Maine, and I love New England.
Can't say much more without spoiling it. I did like the characters, especially Orchid and Vaughn.

Now we're in for a long wait until October. :(
Profile Image for Cammie.
357 reviews10 followers
January 12, 2020
In the Hall with the Knife is a fun who-done-it mystery. The characters and setting represent the well-known board game Clue. When the students, staff, and faculty of Blackbrook Academy become stranded by a violent winter storm, the "game" begins. Each character seems to have a plausible motive for murder and readers are kept guessing until nearly the end. While the characters fit certain stereotypes and aren't very developed, the mystery kept the story going until the end. When the second of the trilogy is released, I'll be sure to read it.
Profile Image for Jaye Berry.
1,335 reviews120 followers
Read
December 25, 2021

This was so camp.

In the Hall with the Knife is based on the board game Clue. When a storm strikes at Blackbrook Academy, a group of students are left stranded with their headmaster. Hours later his body is found and it's clear it wasn't an accident. The entire group of students are hiding something and one of them did it.

LITERALLY all the enjoyment I had from this was me making fun of how dumb it was. I love the Clue game so much and I love the wack ass movie too so when I saw a YA thriller version, I cackled and had to get to it. It turned out exactly how I expected but no tea, no shade I could have written better Clue fanfiction.

A major thing I didn't like was that the main character wasn't even one of the six like ?? Sis why you HERE go away. All of the mystery is so dumb, right in the beginning I was like yeah this character did it and I was right? I love Clue but I'm not exactly good at it so very disappointed at that.

This is a locked room mystery which is also my favorite kind of mystery ever so I'm like how did you fail when everything was on your side!! The characters were so bland and learning more about them was just not exciting.

You bet your ass I'm gonna read book 2 & 3 though. (Like why three books, how much is Hasbro paying??)
Profile Image for Paula  Phillips.
4,757 reviews285 followers
May 31, 2022
This YA Thriller has been sitting on my kindle for years as I loved the idea of the teen book being based around the Clue murder mystery game. It has always been one of my favorite board games. The setting is a YA elite boarding school aka Blackbrook Academy and each of the students is named after the famous Clue Characters from Mrs. White - the school matron, Samuel Maestro aka Mustard, Vaughn Green, Beth Picach aka Peacock, Orchid Violet, Scarlet Mistry, and Finn Plum. During the novel there is a bad storm, most of the students have headed home but the ones above are remaining at the boarding school. During the night, the students find the headmaster stabbed. It looks like he has been murdered, but with only the students remaining at the school and with no one able to get in and no one able to leave, this means that one or more of the remaining Clue mystery people are the killer. This was a good read as I quite enjoyed the premise of the novel and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series with the next book "In the Study with a Wench" which is set in the aftermath of Headmaster Bobby's murder. In the Hall with the Knife by Diana Peterfreund is the perfect YA read for fans of the Clue board game and also the 1985 movie Clue which I am going to have to check out now.
Profile Image for Trisha.
4,534 reviews157 followers
October 2, 2020
I must say this one was so fun! It wasn't as silly or as cringy as I thought it might be. I loved the names and how the pulled the suspects in line. I knew who to suspect and....I'll be honest, I didn't check anyone off. It was so fun to play along as the murder, the house search, the accusations and even the splitting up all went down. Even though I had a pretty solid suspicion what was going on, I loved the twists and turns it took to get there.

I know other reviews were disappointed with the ending but I don't mind at all. We got the answers to this one (just like a game of clue) but of course, we're pulled directly into the next mystery. I'm so there, already have the book on hold at the library. I can't wait!
Profile Image for Stephanie.
Author 74 books933 followers
February 19, 2021
A fantastically fun, twisty and clever new take on the basic Clue setup. When I was younger, I devoured the old Tim Curry film again and again, watching it with my friends at every slumber party we had; I wasn't surprised to see in the afterword that Diana Peterfreund loved that film just as much! This book certainly works as a perfect standalone - no need to have played the game or watched the film to enjoy it! - but if you did love that old film, I can almost promise that you'll love this, too. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 833 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.