Start by marking “Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)

Blood Countess

(Lady Slayers #1)

A historical YA horror novel based on the infamous real-life inspiration for Countess Dracula

In 16th century Hungary, Anna Darvulia has just begun working as a scullery maid for the young and glamorous Countess Elizabeth Báthory. When Elizabeth takes a liking to Anna, she’s vaulted to the dream role of chambermaid, a far cry from the filthy servants’ quarters below. She r
Published January 28th 2020 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Blood Countess, please sign up.
Lana Popović The book is a standalone, yes -- but there will be more books in the Lady Slayers series, continuing with POISON PRIESTESS in 2021!
Ericka Jade There is some description of lesbian love and a few descriptions of beatings. I listened to the audio version and winced on a couple beating descripti…moreThere is some description of lesbian love and a few descriptions of beatings. I listened to the audio version and winced on a couple beating descriptions but it was a quick narrative and moved on to something else. The thing I found most disturbing was the descriptions of Bathory's enjoyment of beating servants. I still liked the book but it could be trigger for people have suffered abuse.(less)

Start your review of Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Did somebody say “a dark horror book based on Elizabeth Bathory a.k.a. “Blood Countess”? And I’m not dreaming right? This book is on my shelf! My fairy God mothers a.k.a. Amazing NetGalley crew left this special gift for me! (My second favorite fairy godmothers! First one is always Olivia Colman from Fleabag!) So what am I waiting for? Get your hands on it and start flipping pages!

I literally danced in the street, singing theme song. And I got a ticket from a police officer (he didn’t get jealo
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
THIS IS GAY. ALERT ALERT THIS IS F/F. WOW THE GAYS STAY WINNING.
megs_bookrack
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
When Anna Darvulia, daughter of a peasant midwife and a healer herself, gets summoned in the night to attend to the Countess Elizabeth Bathory, she learns a dark secret she promises to keep.

In turn, she earns the favor of the Countess, a woman she greatly admires.

Although the Countess Bathory seems a tad dangerous, she is also glamorous and powerful. A combination young Anna finds irresistible.

Before long, due to her strong first impression, Anna is summoned by the Countess again. This time to
Hannah Greendale
Not as bloody as anticipated but nonetheless scintillating and strange. Popović explores the famed Countess Bathory, whose lust for blood and youth is infamous, through the eyes of her pliable yet defiant chambermaid. Titillating and terrifying in equal measure.

Eagerly anticipating the next book in the Lady Slayers series, Poison Priestess, due for publication in early 2021.
Lady H
Oct 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-horror
oh my god, 13 year old me, who was so obsessed with elizabath bathory she wrote an entire report on her for english class (a report that landed her in the guidance counselor's office) is so excited right now
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I feel like I kept waiting for something big to happen, and it never really did. About halfway through, I thought maybe, but it just kind of "blahed" out. I know this is YA book, but I was expecting more gore, more suspense, more of everything. Decent read
Candace Robinson
Did someone say blood? ❤️
christina
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Deathless Girls + And I Darken
★ true rating: 3.5 stars ★

I received an ARC by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This story is darkkkk, but very intriguing - and started out really strong! I LOVED the MC Anna’s storyline with her family and apprenticeship under her mother as a midwife and healer. From there tragedy strikes Anna’s family and she winds up working as a scullery maid under the Countess Elizabeth. The Countess was really intriguing and layered, and the budding relationship between the
Emily
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book just really worked for me from start to finish. It was creepy and tense and sexy and dark, and most importantly (to me) well told. I've always been fascinated by Elizabeth Bathory but even so, I couldn't tell exactly where this book was going and that meant the tension pulled me along at a break-neck pace, straight through heaps of sinister atmosphere.

If you don't like reading about moral ambiguity, people doing bad things, people making bad decisions, then you probably won't like this
thi
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.25/5
- the synopsis is soooo interesting .. the contents .. not so much
- Guys this is boring
- I’m sure you could dig deep, be introspective, and have a whirl with this but just on paper .. I got nothing
- This is also bc I couldn’t for the life of me get invested in anything about this
- I think a lot of people’s expectations for this are a seductively dark sapphic story and it just isn’t (for me)
Nursebookie
I really enjoyed this fascinating Historical Fiction 17th century Young Adult read about the infamous countess Dracula Elizabeth Bathory. The story was written well that describes in rich detail the horrific things that Elizabeth has cruelly done to people for the sake of her youth and beauty. You cannot help but also empathize with her as early in her life Elizabeth can be a generous and kind person especially to Anna and her family. But we know that in years to come you see the awful transform ...more
Bitchin' Reads
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh the depravity. The wickedness. The gruesome acts of violence. This was quite a bloody read and I enjoyed each page.
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Blood Countess by Lana Popovic is a YA horror novel about Elizabeth Bathory, aka history's Blood Countess. Honestly, that's entirely what sold me. I was really into the first perhaps fifty percent of the novel, especially as we meet and follow Anna's journey - and yes, she does some awful things to get what she wants. The second half though became quite boring. I suppose I was expecting more in terms of horror, blood, and guts tha
Patty (IheartYA)
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-instagram
Original, bold and bloody brilliant. I was on the fence about reading this one so I was surprised to like it so much. The story keeps moving, and the world building makes you feel like you're right there in it. I enjoyed the writing overall; sometimes it was great, other times it muddled the context. The Countess was horribly infuriating and I really felt bad for the characters. Jump over the fence and read this one!
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was honestly really excited to dive into Blood Countess. It was interesting in the beginning, but then I slowly started to lose my interest in it. In this book, you will meet Anna Darvulia. She lives in Hungary as a healer of sorts. On her way home one day, after saving a little kitten from being tortured, she runs into the new Countess - Elizabeth. From this one moment, her life was forever changed.

Okay so I had high hop
Umairah | Sereadipity
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hmm
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
I was so excited to read this book because back in the day I knew quite a lot of things about the Countess Elizabeth Bathory, and seeing a book that was based on that particular historical figure sounded actually pretty amazing, so I knew I had to read it. Overall, I enjoyed it and it was okay. I expected so much more and felt a bit let down, but it’s true that it was a very fast paced story.

The thing about Blood Countess was that it had a very powerful start but as I continued reading it I beca
Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Thanks to Amulet Books & Pique Beyond for the ARC!

This was a quick read and I must say, I was quite invested with the story. The history of the Countess Báthory is... intriguing, but disturbing, and this novel does capture that perfectly.

Blood Countess is narrated by a sixteen-year-old healer whose life before working for the Countess was hard thanks to the abusive father who only doted on his sons, and not on his wife or daughters. Living in abuse and the unfairness tha
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
dnfed @ 60%

I really don’t know what to think of this book. I don’t exactly know how a romance between a pretty girl and a historically known serial killer of pretty girls would go down but I guess? this is it?

our main character anna enters an affair with bathory who is kind to her but is extremely cruel to people who offer the slightest inconvenience, so cruel she then enacts horrible punishments.

now I’m not someone who is normally ever triggered when reading but h o l y f u c k. bathory’s tem
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
THIS IS THE DARK SHIT I SIGNED UP FOR! I've read a fair number of books in the past year or two that promised darker tones and fucking with some messed up parts of history. None of them were bad but none of them gave me the dark themes/tones I was promised...but this DID. Big hell yeah to this from start to finish AND THEN IT'S A DAMN SERIES SO I AM GETTING MORE! BIGGEST OF HELL YES TO THAT.
Jenn
Elizabeth Báthory...

That cover...

This book called to me! But alas, I think my hopes were just a little too high here.

Meet one young Anna Darvulia. She comes from a poor family with too many mouths to feed. When a chance encounter with the new Countess outs Anna on the spot, she finds her life instantly changed. Starting out as a scullery maid, Anna soon works her way into the Countess Báthory's inner circle as a chambermaid. Anna is soon taken by the glamorous Countess, ignoring all of the
Carrie
Oct 23, 2019 marked it as wishlist
Countess Bathory!

A new book about Elizabeth Bathory! Do you know how giddy this makes me? Do you know that I NEED to have a copy in my hands now. She was one of my many obsessions. GIMMEEEEEEE!

Take my money!!!
Sabs
Jun 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: excited
god please let this be gay please let this be gay x100
Katerina Kondrenko
6.5 out of 10

Bloody, with FF romance between controversial characters, with historical fleur, and creepy atmosphere. I liked it. Not a lot, but nonetheless had a good time reading it.
Caidyn (he/him/his)
CW: blood, murder, intimate partner violence, poisoning, and death

This was my most anticipated book of 2020. I was SO excited for a story that talked about Elizabeth Bathory (sorry for the Anglicized version of her name, but I don't have the keyboard that can do the accents). There's basically nothing about her and, personally, I feel that the charges are largely made up and they were put on her by men who wanted to control her. But that's me! Also, I was super excited that this book is queer wi
Kristi
“For all the gold and silver in her coffers, in some ways the countess is just like me. A woman, with a man’s cruel hand around her wrist.”
-Lana Popovic, Author of Blood Countess

First Sentence:

Sarvar, Hungary – May 8, 1575 The day our Lord Nadasdy weds the countess, the sky above us is the color of bleached bone.

It’s the late 1500’s and Anna Darvulia is a highly skilled healer in her Hungarian village, learning by her mother’s side how to tend to the ill with herbs gathered by moonlight. Anna
ax
Jan 14, 2020 marked it as to-read
ngl i don't have much faith in this, but it's set in my country so i'll be reading it anyways
K.S. Marsden
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Fed up with her violent father and lack of prospects, Anna seeks a new kind of freedom, under the employ of Countess Elizabeth Báthory. The two young women will soon make a mark in history.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Anna is following in the footsteps of her midwife mother, learning all she can about healing and medicine. But Anna has a further gift, and has to ignore the taunts of "witch" behind her back.
Her father is the village drink, and has a foul
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I have long been fascinated by the story of Elizabeth Bathory so I was excited to read this book. In Blood Countess we follow Anna who after a chance meeting with the Countess Bathory becomes her chambermaid, companion and later her lover allowing her to support her mother and siblings. Anna is enthralled by Elizabeth and becomes a little obsessed with her which allows her to turn a blind eye to her cruel ways. But as the story progresses Elizabeth’s behaviour grows even worse and Anna becomes e ...more
Erin Arkin

• Seven Deadly Shadows
  • Witches of Ash and Ruin
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • Belle Révolte
  • Men and Monsters (Nightfall, #2)
  • The Look-Alike
  • Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, #1)
  • Given
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Cupid's Match (Cupid's Match, #1)
  • Red Hood
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
Lana Popović's debut YA contemporary fantasy, WICKED LIKE A WILDFIRE, was published by Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins in August 2017. Lana studied psychology and literature at Yale University, and law at Boston University. She is a graduate of the Emerson College Publishing and Writing program and works as a literary agent with Chalberg & Sussman, specializing in YA.

She lives in Boston, subsi