Start by marking “Minor Prophets” as Want to Read:
Minor Prophets

Minor Prophets

After their mother’s death, two siblings must navigate the strange world of the occult in this thrilling YA mystery

Lee has always seen visions: cats that his mother promises aren’t really there, a homeless man who he’s convinced is out to get him, and three men who give him ominous warnings in the woods. His mother and his sister Murphy try to keep him grounded in the
Published September 10th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Minor Prophets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minor Prophets

Hannah Greendale
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF at page 100.
amanda
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Cast away the bones."

I literally just finished reading this and my mind is reeling. As soon as I read the first line to this book, I knew I was going to enjoy it and my god, I did. I really, really did.

Lee is prophetic. He sees haunting visions in strokes of hell, shambling figures, and technicolor animals. One day Lee dreams that his mother dies gruesomely and when she does, he and his sister discover that their long lost grandmother is out there waiting for them, wanting to see them. They go
Glen
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

A kid has visions, or hallucinations. His mother is murdered by his stepfather, the local sheriff, so he and his sister steal the man's car and flee to their grandmother's house. She owns a farm in small town Louisiana. The visions become more frequent, and people treat them like they're special. The kid really likes it.

Pretty tame for what seem seems to be a horror story. Not even very creepy or eerie.
The Bookish Austin
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can read my review here: https://thebookishaustin.tumblr.com/p...
Rachael
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: 2.75

I received this book as an eARC through Netgalley in return for a review, which I am incredibly grateful for. This review is completely my own opinions.

You can go to my full book review here on my blog.

This book is definitely not a book for everyone.

I was intrigued enough by the book, mostly the plot, to finish it. The characters weren’t particularly well developed, none of them are likable, and the narrator is extremely unreliable. His unreliability actually made it more interesting
Lauren
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, mystery
Thanks to NetGalley for the arc in exchange for a review.

This is a eerie read without even getting to the eerie part of the book. The atmosphere of this really brings out that autumn oooo vibe.

I really like parts of the premise for this, especially the fact that the main character has visions - you don't get a lot of books with this ability displayed.

I think one of the issues was that the two main characters, Lee and Murphy, sounded much younger to begin with - more like children than teenagers
Shelby
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Review: Minor Prophets
By Jimmy Cajoleas
Genre: YA Fiction/ Horror
Publisher: Amulet/Abrams Books
Release Date: September 10, 2019

I received a copy of this from the publisher and edelweiss+, and Netgalley(Thank you!) All opinions are my own.

This was one of those books that I like to call a “what in tarnation?” book, which happens to be my favorite type. The kind where you think you know what’s going on, but you also feel like you might be the only kid at the table that doesn’t get the joke.

It cent
Lisa Rowe
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-2019
Firstly, I want to thank Abrams and Chronicle Books for this review copy.
I loved this book. It is full of mystery, it is dark, it makes you want to keep reading. Excellent book. I can’t wait to read more from this author.
Sami
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jimmy Cajoleas is what we Southerners call a "damn fine writer" and Minor Prophets is no exception; if anything, you'll be astonished by just how good he's gotten. Minor Prophets is the story of Lee, a teenage boy with visions that only sometimes come true, and Murphy, his tough-as-nails sister, and the aftermath of their mother's untimely death. Running away to the grandmother they've never met, Lee is drawn to a greater purpose than he ever predicted when he gains a following as a powerful pro ...more
Daniel Cuthbert
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
(I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I very much appreciated the opportunity to review this story and give my honest opinions on it!)

For many folks, seeing visions would be absolutely terrifying. But for Lee Sandford, these visions are rapidly becoming just a way of life for him, regardless of whether they are worrying, like the mysterious hobo who seems intent on harming him, or downright terrifying, like seeing his mom die and then having it actually happ
Katherine Burchell
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Tory
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, ya
Dangit, this is the first Cajoleas book I haven't liked. 😭 Weird pacing (the plot is still rising until just 20 pages from the end); unlikable characters; stilted dialogue; confusing plot -- the whole thing felt out of joint, and not in a good way. It took me forever to get through it and I still don't think I buy the ending.
Lisa Rowland
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book sounded weird, and it actually was. But it was also fascinating. The idea that you have visions and should be leading a cult, with already groomed followers, would be a lot for anyone to try to take in. This is a different sort of cult book than the others that I've seen and/or read, and if you're at all interested in weird cults this might be a book for you.
Tricia Nociti
Jul 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
It was "ok". I was curious to finish and wasn't bored. I felt the characters were a bit undefined and undeveloped. I'm not sure I found many of them to be believable. It's not a book I would be pressing into many hands but I'm also not sorry I read it. I was entertained.
Eileen
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
It is a dark, haunting story of wanting to belong. How much will you believe and accept when it means sacrificing your own sister? It is a harrowing story that will appeal to readers who like the dark side of life, but for others it can be unsettling read.
Namrata
Sounds very exciting! Can't wait!!!
Mary
Sep 08, 2019
Aunt Beast
Jul 03, 2019
Mel
rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2019