Start by marking “The History of the World in Fifty Dogs” as Want to Read:
The History of the World in Fifty Dogs

The History of the World in Fifty Dogs

An illustrated collection of stories about dogs that knew how to sit, stay, and witness history

Most dog lovers know Fidoand Laika, but how about Martha, Paul McCartney's Old English Sheepdog? Or Peritas, Alexander the Great’s trusted canine companion? As long as there have been humans, those humans have had beloved companions—their dogs. From the ancient Egyptians
Published October 15th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The History of the World in Fifty Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The History of the World in Fifty Dogs

Start your review of The History of the World in Fifty Dogs
jessica ☾
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adored this, if only my high school history class had included more dogs I would’ve actually paid attention! These dogs are all such good boys and I desperately wish I could give each and every one of them some tummy rubs.

Not five stars because as the mom of a Min Pin, I feel as though his breed should have some recognition- they’re so cute!
christine ☽
Feb 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Mackenzi Lee writes about dogs through history? I have never been more excited in my life! ...more
Maia
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has the same form as Bygone Badass Broads: 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World and it's awesome!

I read this because I love dogs and guess what? Mackenzi Lee does too, she really, really loves dogs. When I read Bygone Badass Broads: 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World, I particularly loved the sarcastic comments and the little jokes, well, we find them in here too and that was just the best.
So, yeah, this book is a lot of fun (Mackenzi Lee is hilarious!) and you learn quite a
Renata
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, nonfiction
It's no secret that I'm a cat person, but still, I enjoyed this animal-themed look at history. It's like a small coffee table book or printed out Buzzfeed list--very breezy and internet-conversational in tone, in the vein of Bygone Badass Broads: 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World. The illustrations are very cute tho in some cases I wished for photos! Oh well that's what the internet is for I suppose!
Pili
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading about dogs in general is always good, and learning new historical bits with doggies in them, is even better! So loved it! 15/10 will pet!
Morgan
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
I really, really enjoyed this! I learned a lot of really interesting historical facts about the very best doggos, and the writing was both interesting and funny. Also, the illustrations were very pretty! I now have a lot of fun facts to share about dogs, and I learned more about the various time periods as well.

My only drawback about this book is that it was let down by its editor. I caught WAY too many typos and mistakes while reading. One or two is understandable, more than that seems sloppy.
Jen
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oct-2019
I'd give this book one million stars. I checked it out from the library and then bought it immediately.
Leila Jaafari
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! Both factual and super cute!
Monique
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I may have been annoying everyone around me with random dog facts I learned from this book. My mom facepalmed when I brought up another during lunch. So this book is totally worth reading in my opinion!

This book is basically a collection of short stories, each story taking only a few pages, and that’s a perfect format to keep it interesting. I read a few each day, so I wouldn’t be overwhelmed. There were many interesting stories, and Mackenzi adds her own commentary throughout, which is often
Bridget
Jun 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
I may be a cat person, but this is a really cool idea.
Linnea Johansson
This was a 2.5 star read for me. Now, to be fair, I don't know why I picked up this book. The genre is a bit out of my comfort zone, and I'm more of a cat person. However, it was easily accessible on Storytel so I decided to read it, thinking it would be short and easy to get through. I did love the illustrations and I even took screenshots of my favourite ones, so that brought the rating up. But I just couldn't get into the stories. The information-packed text got heavy to read, and because of ...more
L K
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dogs dogs and more dogs! This book was a great read. I learned lots of neat history and learned about lots of cool dogs. It’s a good book for dog- and history-lovers alike. The book is also written in a very casual, almost twitter thread sort of way so it’s not long and droning. Plus it’s full of colorful puppy art! I highly recommend this one.
Tanner
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve been anticipating this for months! So thank you, Trejos, for getting it for me this Christmas.

This was such an interesting read! I learned a lot about stories I’d never even heard of, as well as dogs featured in stories I was already familiar with. Crazy how much people have loved dogs since forever, right?

The art was impeccable, unsurprisingly. And I really love Lee’s humor. Bygone Badass Broads is still slightly superior in my book, but that’s only because I learned so much more in it.
Jenn
Dec 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Just received this from the amazing Pat for my birthday. Really looking forward to reading it!
Joanne
Playful, interesting text, and fab illustrations. Could do with some closer editing.
Katelyn
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Brenda
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nature
Lots of great stories about dogs and their people. The art was fine, but I wanted photos!
Paula Keith
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's interesting to think that dogs have been pets for thousands of years.
Bookheart.Dreams
3.25
Paperbark Merchants
Delightful! Great fun for all dog lovers/history buff/quirky readers.
Sassafras Lowrey
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book - first book i read this year, and probably will remain one of my favorite books of the year
Louisa Jones
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Very informative! The book covered a lot of information about dogs that I didn’t even know I didn’t know.
Gabriela
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's perfect. That's it. Read this.
Elizabeth Mellen
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-book-recs
I was watching the Mackenzi Lee Words & Whimsy chat when I heard about this book. I had enjoyed Bygone Badass Broads and when I found out that there was a similar premised book but DOGS I knew I had to read it ASAP. I love Lee's voice - snarky, informative, and hilarious.
Gaby M
Kathryn Edgett
Nov 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Yes No Maybe So
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • Almost American Girl
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • Lessons From Lucy: The Simple Joys of an Old, Happy Dog
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • A Brief History of Vice: How Bad Behavior Built Civilization
  • Beware the Night (The Offering Series, #1)
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany
Mackenzi Lee holds a BA in history and an MFA in writing for children and young adults from Simmons College. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the historical fantasy novels THIS MONSTROUS THING, THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE, which won a 2018 Stonewall Honor Award and the New England Book Award, and its sequel, THE LADY'S GUIDE TO PETTICOATS AND PIRACY, which debuted at #3 ...more