Start by marking “Detective Comics #1000: The Deluxe Edition” as Want to Read:
Detective Comics #1000: The Deluxe Edition

Detective Comics #1000: The Deluxe Edition

(Detective Comics (2016) (Single Issues) #1000 deluxe edition)

DETECTIVE COMICS TURNS 80!

After 80 years, it's here--the 1000th issue of Detective Comics, the title that defines DC!

This incredible landmark issue is stacked with an unbelievable lineup of talent that will take you on a journey through Batman's past, present and future...plus a sensational epilogue that features the first-ever DC Universe appearance of the deadly Arkham
Published June 18th 2019 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Detective Comics #1000, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detective Comics #1000

Start your review of Detective Comics #1000: The Deluxe Edition
Chad
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Everything you could ask for in a milestone anniversary issue. This is a collection of 8 to 10 page stories by today's top creators. My only complaint is that only the opening Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo story focused on the Batman's detective work given that the title is Detective Comics. For a landmark issue like this, I would have liked to have seen more detective based stories. That being said these stories are great. My favorite was the Kevin Smith and Jim Lee tale. Kevin showcases why ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

With last year marking the 80th anniversary of Superman, coinciding with the release of its 1000th issue, it was only a matter of time before another iconic superhero saw his birthday celebrated with the same enthusiasm—if not more—by fans all around the world: Batman. A similar 80th-anniversary commemorative collection was then released earlier in the year and saw us counting down the days until the original Detective Comics series—the same
Aden
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great way to celebrate an 80 year old guy who has issues, lots of issues.
Chris Marsh
3 stars - Batman's Longest Case, Written by Scott Snyder, Pencils by Greg Capullo, Inks by Jonathan Glapion Colors by FCO Placencia, Letters by Tom Napolitano

2 stars - Manufacture for Use, Written by Kevin Smith, Pencils by Jim Lee, Inks by Scott Williams, Colors by Alex Sinclair, Letters by Todd Klien

2 stars - The Legends of Knute Brody, Written by Paul Dini, PEncils by Dustin Nguyen, Inks by Derek Fridolfs, Colors by John Kalisz, Letters by Steve Wands

1 star - The Batman's Design, Written by
Kole
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fairly excellent collection of short stories from some of Batman's top story creators. A lot of variety and honestly not a single bad story. Art is very good throughout.

My only complaint is that I'm not sure why they'd choose that villain for the actual issue #1000 but to be fair most of the issue is full page shots of Batman battling his other villains so it's a fine issue showing Batman's history.

In the end though this is a great, fun collection of short stories that celebrates the wide
Cameron Kwong
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I waited so long to read this. And I love it. I love how each installment somehow involves everyone in the history of Batman. I love how the book as a whole plays on how big of a legend Batman has become. I love how it shows us what has come before, what’s going on now, and what’s about to come. Any fan of Batman would appreciate this gift from DC Comics and a slew of writers and artists that have Batman the hero he is today. 11/10 will probably read again whenever I’m in a Batman mood. Also: ...more
Alí Flores
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc, comics, batman
This is a bunch of short stories written by some of the most famous writers next to the best artists as well. I liked most of them but there are some that are really meh. Also, I can say that this is better then the Action Comics #1000
ChevalierBayard
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable compilation of great stories for this very special event. Iliked all of them and really enjoyed to learn about Mr. Knute Brody :)
Batnerd
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to get into batman without continuity problems
Recommended to Batnerd by: DC Comics
Batman turns 80!
Long live the bat
For 10 bucks this is a pretty good deal, you get a bunch of stories from a bunch of writers that represent the esence of the chracter, and then some nice I-want-to-rip-off-the-book-and-put-on-my-wall class pin-ups (I'm referring to the Jason Fabok one, it's amazing!)
Sure you can say this was just a way for DC to make another cash grab off of one-offs and way too expensive variant covers, but I think it's worth it. I recommend it.
Now, onto the book itself...
MINOR
Amy
This issue was pretty much all short stories, the vast majority of which were character examinations of Batman. I loved pretty much everything about this issue, but my favorites were "The Precedent" (about Dick Grayson being the first Robin and how he can/will be different than Batman with proper guidance), "Heretic" (about the League of Shadows member who was killed for running an underground railroad for people trying to leave the organization), "The Batman's Design" (about the pre-planning ...more
Raegan   Ralls
-Disclaimer: I won this book for free through Goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review.-

I do not normally read comics but this one was a pleasant surprise! It started out rough though. Some of the stories were very bad and bland. Others left me wanting more because of how engaging they were.

On another note, I did have trouble figuring out when one story ended and another began. They needed separation pages. Also, I am not an expert on all things Batman, so many things didn't make
Michael Emond
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A lot of fun to read. A lot of great talent assembles to bring us some interesting one issue stories of the World's Greatest Detective. The art is amazing and most of the stories are fun and worthy of celebrating issue 1000.

I am not sure what the theme is. Maybe the writers were told "focus on him being a detective" because most of the stories do that. All the best ones did. Snyder's, Ellis and some others. It might have been nice if there was a bit more focus like that but almost all were
Adam Fisher
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Volume serves two purposes:
1) To introduce Arkham Knight, a character previously made for a video game (was Jason Todd in the game, but is not here... real identity to be revealed soon), with a very clever anthology of how many things AK has watched Batman do.
2) To show off amazing art and allow the most famous of Batman writers and artists do the character justice with short stories.

Both are met, and done well.
It really is a huge milestone in comics to reach issue #1000. Being the second
Chris Orme
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
62/130 (2019 Reading Challenge)

Wow, following on from Superman & action comics last year. Detective comics 1000 is here. What a milestone. A celebration of all these years with Batman, rather than one story (which may have been hard to write one so momental that it reflected the issue number). Like Action comics 1000 lots of different mini stories from the many authors who have written for Batman comics over the years, with art from various artists who have too. In the deluxe edition you
Anne Harris
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great way to celebrate the history of Batman! Different writers wrote approximately for three to five pages, showing a variation of Batman as he has progressed these past fifty years. Poster style drawings were included in the back, ready to be cut out and hung. Or not, as desired. I passed this on to my son, after reading it, who then passed it on to a friend, who is a real Batman fan. A very enjoyable look at the progression of Batman through the years.
Dan
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Just as with Action Comics #1000, the great thing about these collections is that you get many different stories and takes on Batman from a wide variety of writers and artists. The downside is that naturally some stories will appeal more to each reader than others and some will be just okay. I did enjoy most of these stories and almost all of the artwork.
Matt
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Collects Detective Comics #1000, as well as an uncollected Batman story by Robert Venditti and an original story from Alan Grant. This collection also features a bonus gallery loaded with variant covers.

This a must-read for fans of Batman and the Bat Family. Detective Comics #1000 is made up of multiple short stories, and if I believe I liked each one.
Wayne Thomas
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
For such a landmark issue it could have been bigger and more meaningful but still a fun read. I especially loved Smith and Bendis’s work in it. Art was great throughout the whole book and the addition of the variant covers at the end was a cool touch. It truly is amazing the world that’s been built around Batman and the characters we’ve come to love. Here’s to another 1,000 prints.
Shawn Manning
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I very rarely buy hard copies anymore, but given this event, I decided to splurge. I am so glad that I did. What a stellar assembly of talent. The artwork is flawless and so is the writing. Lately, it seems as though DC is deliberately trying to tank the company, but not so here. Thanks ladies and gentlemen.
Patrick
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great lineup of stories for a landmark issue, Some even excellent! . The art was consistently well done, perhaps Dustin Nguyen's story being the weakest. I would have prefered one more story and fewer pinups.
Lindsey
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The one issue with the family was 3 Stars (I could’ve used more art to separate out who was speaking).

But the rest were not as enjoyable. I’m not sure this was the best way to celebrate Batman turning 80.
Héctor Hernández Aguilar
Short but sweet.

This are very short, inconsequential stories that don’t add much; nevertheless, there are entreating enough. I can easily see this stories as full fledged episodes of the classical WB cartoon.
Jonathan Roberts
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Like the idea of this book, enjoyed the artwork, but all the short stories that were just disconnected was lame. Several of the stories we just lame, made no sense. I would have loved to see a big game changing story instead of these short things
Erin Pait
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-batverse
I would say this is a necessary read just because of how many different authors put their own Batman story in here! We get glimpses into different sides of Bruce and his family as well. Loved it!!
Maik Krüger
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Long live the Bat!
David Wilson
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Could have been better. Could have been worse. 3.5.
Lukas Holmes
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lot of fun and some really great throwbacks.
James
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A mixture of short stories about who Batman is, why he does what he does and some different viewpoints down his villains. Some stories better than others. Overall a solid read.
Eric
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of stories from a lot of different Batman authors and artists. Some are really good and some are okay. It's worth reading for every Batman fan.
Chad Bunch
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
After several months of this book sitting on my "to read" pile, I finally got around to it. Most of the stores were enjoyable. Some were disappointing. Looking forward to another 1,000 issues.

• Batman, Volume 10: Knightmares
  • Batman, Volume 8: Cold Days
  • Superman: Year One
  • Spider-Man: Life Story
  • Heroes in Crisis: The Price and Other Tales
Peter J. Tomasi is an American comic book writer, best known for his work for DC Comics.

Detective Comics (2016) (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 71 books)
  • Detective Comics #934