Start by marking “Eight Years to the Moon: The History of the Apollo Missions” as Want to Read:
Eight Years to the Moon: The History of the Apollo Missions

Eight Years to the Moon: The History of the Apollo Missions

In July of 1969, three astronauts set off on an historic mission to land on the Moon. But getting there took nearly a decade of efforts by 400,000 people around the world. Now, 50 years later, a new book celebrates the achievements of the Apollo 11 mission, detailing an incredible period of science, engineering and cultural history.

Eight Years to the Moon tells the unique
Published July 2nd 2019 by Page Street Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Eight Years to the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Years to the Moon

Start your review of Eight Years to the Moon: The History of the Apollo Missions
John
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes a slightly different approach to the Apollo missions than other books I have read. It looks at the years leading up to the moon landing in 1969 and focuses on the engineers, scientists, families, and NASA managers tasked with developing a way to get to the moon by the end of the decade. The astronauts are interspersed in the story, but they seem to have cameo roles in the book; the focus is on the unknown multitudes who had to figure out things like communicating over 240,000 ...more
Claudia
Well researched with personal insight from many of the individuals involved in the NASA Space program as well as lavishly illustrated with posed publicity photos and lots of candid shots of buildings, people and equipment from the beginning in 1962 through Apollo 11, the landing on the moon and further trips and discoveries until the program ended in 1972.

We are familiar with the image of the mission control room with dozens of wall monitors as well as individual monitoring stations manned by
Brahm
I loooove space and non-fiction space books (see: my list) and this new release recently hit my radar.

Atkinson's work is set apart from a typical astronaut/NASA employee autobiography because she is able to look at the Apollo program through a wide lens. Yes, she absolutely gets into some of the fun astronaut stories, but also gives many of the different departments, program administrators, engineers and worker-bees (my term, not hers) their due. There were an estimated 400,000 employees,
Don
Disclaimer: I got a copy through a Goodreads giveaway.
Eight Years to the Moon by Nancy Atkinson
I was astounded by the level of detail and breadth of topics. The author filled the book with stories told through interviews with those who worked on Apollo. Engineers, scientists and others who solved incredible problems in order to get men on the moon. Families and friends who lived through the heartbreak of crashes or fire.
I followed the space program as a boy. And it inspired me. Reading these
Joan
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fiftieth anniversary commemorative edition of the history of the Apollo missions brings readers more than sixty personal interviews, oral histories, and illustrations to chronicle the race to the moon. Beginning in 1962 with NASA’s newly-created manned spaceflight program through the 1969 lunar landing, the unfolding story focuses on the engineers, the mathematicians, and the scientists working behind the scenes who helped to make the lunar landing a reality.

The book also includes a
John Jaksich
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Atkinson delivers an admirable write-up of the Apollo program, from start to finish. The book was available for the 5oth anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the moon. I thoroughly enjoyed the book from start to finish. The author had access to the NASA archives and the faces behind the scenes in the space race that many recall as America's finest moment of the 196os.

I wholly recommend the book to all-- both for the amateur and expert. I bought the 50th Anniversary edition and intend to
Lorna
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It looks like a pretty coffee table book and there are many beautiful photos, but this book is full of content! More than just a recounting of the flights of the space program, it really takes you behind the scenes with the thousands of people who made it all happen. It's a history of NASA, showing you aspects that may have not fully been explored in other books. It's not a quick read unless you just want to look at the pictures, but it's well worth your time.
Blair Hearth
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

Recommended in Science Magazine. Factual. Flawless. Important source on how the Unified S-Band System came together. Well written. Beautiful photos.
Tim Larison
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
With the 50th anniversary of the successful Apollo 11 moon landing this summer I have been watching every documentary and reading books on this historic event. I’ve always been fascinated by the space program (I reviewed the book American Moonshot earlier this year). Yet the best material I have found on the Apollo program and the moon landing is Nancy Atkinson’s book “Eight Years to the Moon: This History of the Apollo Missions”.

As I retired software engineer I loved the technical details in
Rebecca
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nasa
Looking for an Apollo 11 anniversary read that isn't astronaut-centered? Read this!

Quite a refreshing read. Too many other books on the same subject fall into telling the same stories about the same people over and over again. This book chooses to focus on individuals who worked in the space program, but have not had their stories told yet. I had heard of very few of the people highlighted here, which means I got to learn quite a bit. Hearing the story of Apollo through different voices was
Paul Kinzer
Sep 27, 2019
Rory Braybrook
Jan 05, 2020
Nancy Atkinson
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Deb
Jan 22, 2020
ACPL Online Book ...: Mooniversary 1 4 Jul 09, 2019 02:32PM

• First on the Moon: The Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Experience
  • Death Match
  • Falter: Has the Human Game Begun to Play Itself Out?
  • Impolitic Corpses
  • I Am C-3PO: The Inside Story
  • The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data
  • Apollo: A Graphic Guide to Mankind's Greatest Mission
  • Jackie as Editor: The Literary Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • In the Russian Style
  • Fireworks
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • The Myths of Tet: The Most Misunderstood Event of the Vietnam War
  • On Desperate Ground: The Marines at The Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle
  • The Chelsea Girls
  • Just Before the War with the Eskimos
  • Off the Planet: Surviving Five Perilous Months Aboard the Space Station Mir
  • The Laughing Man
  • Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes
Nancy Atkinson is a science journalist and author with a passion for telling the stories of people involved in space exploration and astronomy. She writes for Universe Today, Seeker and Ad Astra, and her new book about the Apollo program is titled “Eight Years to the Moon: The History of the Apollo Missions.” It shares the untold stories of engineers and scientists who helped make the Apollo ...more