Start by marking “Martians, Go Home” as Want to Read:

THEY WERE
BALD AS BILLIARD BALLS
AND THEY WERE
EVERYWHERE

Luke Devereaux was a science-fiction writer, holed up in a desert shack waiting for inspiration. He was the first man to see a Martian...but he wasn't the last!

It was estimated that a billion of them had arrived, one to every three human beings on Earth—obnoxious green creatures who coul
Mass Market Paperback, 163 pages
Published October 1976 by Del Rey (first published September 1954)

Start your review of Martians, Go Home
Bradley
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow I didn't know what to expect except that this was heralded as one of the best humorous alien invasion novels of all time. Upon reading, it worked quite nicely as pure satire. It didn't even have a tongue in cheek vibe to it. Instead, overnight, we've got 60 million little green aliens from Mars standing around in our living rooms heckling everything we do.

Yikes! This is the complete reversal of MST3K!

And nothing is off limits. Humanity is their version of animals in a zoo, and we can't even
Jokoloyo
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the title we could expect another invasion from Mars novel, but in light/humor tone. After read it, I put this story as feel-good story. There is not much trope conflicts.

I admit the invasion on this novel is different, I never imagine this kind of invasion. It is not the standard invasion by using UFO and laser beam weapons.

Can't say much without risking a spoiler. I don't rate it five star because I wish the story could be longer and has more explanations.
Hákon Gunnarsson
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think this book may be one of the best example of why one shouldn't judge a book by the film that was based on it. The film that was based on this novel stared Randy Quaid, and was in my view dreadful. The film makers lost pretty much all the humor from the novel when they made it into film. Granted it is a low budgeter, but still, with talent they could have done something with it.

The book on the other hand is pretty good. It tackles the idea of what happens to a society that all of a sudden
P.E.
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
What if telepathic, ubiquitous little pricks were prying into each of your secrets and disclosed them to anybody for kicks? Here we go.

Matching Soundtrack :
Weidorje - Elohim's Voyage
Timothy Mayer
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most hilarious science fiction novels ever written. Frederic Brown (1906-72), who had spoofed space opera with What Mad Universe in 1949, returned a few years later to write the perfect alien invasion novel, Martians, Go Home. Brown was in rare form with this book. It was the triumph to his prolific writing streak in the 1950's.
Luke Deveraux is a failed writer specializing in science fiction who's decided to shack it up with a friend in the desert so he can work on anot
The other John
Dec 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, amusing
This book isn't spectacular, but rather a nice amusing little tale that one can devour in a couple of hours. Simply put, the book is about a Martian invasion of Earth. Unlike The War of the Worlds however, the Martians here aren't out to conquer the Earth. Instead they've come to observe and heckle it. To quote the back cover of the Del Rey October 1981 edition, Brown's Martians were "obnoxious green creatures who could be seen and heard, but not harmed, and who probed private sex lives as shame ...more
Jamesboggie
I expected a comedic book about annoying Martians, and I got a book about a solipsistic writer instead. If Frederic Brown were still alive today, I would punch him in the mouth and ask him if he imagined it.

Sorry. I just have strong feelings about solipsism.

Allow me to start again. Martians, Go Home has a killer premise. It’s a Martian invasion, but with a twist: the little green men are just here to annoy humanity for kicks. The Martians are intangible, inescapable, and intolerable. They can
Thomas
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fredric Brown is one of those authors I would have skipped over all together if not for an online article that mentioned how good (and how funny) his novels were. This same article noted that some of his best ebooks were on sale, and ebooks being what they are, I felt pretty good about spending a dollar or two to check out the book. I'm glad I did.

Martians, Go Home is a clever book. It walks the fine line of serious fiction and absurdity, since it has something serious to say about humanity by t
Newly Wardell
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the most realistic alien invasion story I've ever experienced. They came. They annoyed. They left all without rhyme or reason.
Chrisl
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, sff, 1950s
One of my early SF favorites. Great humor.
A.J. Howells
All across the world, Martians arrive to wreak havoc. They do not accomplish this through physical means, but rather by psychological assault. They all appear of the same stock: short, bald, and green. In my mind's eye, they were basically green smurfs in Star Trek uniforms. Also, they all share a penchant for belittling human beings. They cannot be touched, nor can they touch us. Really, they're harmless, but they are driving mankind insane and are putting the kibosh on the entertainment indust ...more
Jim Davis
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't quite like the book as much as most of the reviewers I've read here. It was a good idea but I didn't think it was a humorous as many others did. The comedy relied too much on pratfalls caused by the Martians and some tame sexual overtones due to problems that resulted from the Martians constant observance of human mating behavior. I am 69 and I try to put myself into the context of when the book was written - 1954 - but I had a harder time doing it in this case. The book began to get in ...more
Doug Dandridge
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Much better than the movie.
Sure, there was a movie made of this book. It wasn't very good. Martians
Go Home was a very good book though, with lots of humor. The Martians
invade Earth. Only there are no spaceships, no death rays, no explosions.
The Martians can teleport, turn invisible, and watch everything. And they
are a bunch of sarcastic wisecrackers who make life hell for everyone on
Earth. A really humorous story that I thoroughly enjoyed, and I recommend
to anyone who wants to read somethi
Rustinjd
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
I think my friend Richard found this on the street or something. I picked it up because it seemed a better read than the back of the shampoo bottle while on the toilet. Mowed through something like four chapters before finishing my BM, so I decided to go ahead and finish it.

Totally trash, but its always cool to see what people in the 50's thought what the future of sci-fi would be.
Jeff Yoak
The Randy Quaid movie based upon this novel is a shared treasure with my best friend. It was out go-to "bad" movie for many years. It's funny, light and wonderful. I'm finally getting around to the book, and with my son, so I can introduce him to the movie after. I'm writing this part before reading.

The movie is certainly better than the book, but this was a nice read with Alex.
Ole
Apr 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Quick, amusing, humorous read from Fredric Brown - an original and obviously intelligent writer who wrote in the pulps. Some fun scenes and developments, and an unusual ending that I found very cool :-)
Dragonfruit
Jun 13, 2008 rated it liked it
This is one from Martians and Madness. Basically, a bunch of martians appear on earth all at once and annoy everyone (a lot). It's interesting but not overly engaging.
Tom Britz
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A tongue in cheek approach to a very strange "invasion" from Mars.
Janet Martin
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This classic scifi spoof is tons of fun--as in very funny and a delight to listen to from beginning to end.
Ed Vaughn
I read this as a kid.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
Fredric Brown's Martians, Go Home
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - November 7, 2018

Since having 'discovered' Fredric Brown this yr, 2018, I've read & reviewed his Night of the Jabberwock ( https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ), The Lenient Beast ( https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ), Here Comes A Candle ( https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ), What Mad Universe ( https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ), Rogue in Space ( https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ), Th
Lori S.
What would you do if a bunch of little green men appeared one day and proceeded to make life uncomfortable and frustrating and difficult? That's what Mr. Brown explored in this book. By turns amusing, annoying, irritating, and enjoyable (the humor doesn't always quite work), Martians Go Home was worth listening to.
Lance Eaton
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This is definitely not a great book in general nor one of Brown's better books (not sure I know what his better books are, I've mostly read his short stories). It's light fare with a goofy premise that at least sounded interesting enough to buy it at a used bookstore and spend some time with. The story's premise is that out of nowhere, Martians arrive on Earth in full force and out of nowhere. Three things become quickly apparent: they're green, they're small, and they're annoying as hell. They' ...more
Caitlin
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's a certain sub-genre of sci-fi that doesn't quite tickle my fancy. I was concerned this might be one of those books. However, I picked it up anyway, as the reviews mentioned it was great satire.

The first thing you need to know is that the audiobook is narrated by Stefan Rudnicki, who also narrates Orson Scott Card's books. So, mature Ender telling a story about a martian invasion? I was sold!

Luke is a failing writer who is determined to write a new sci-fi book. Alone in the desert, he str
Jean
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another reread as I read it very long ago. I hoped I would find it as fun as I had, and indeed, I did. Part of it is I don't mind it was written back in 1954 when typewriters were a thing. Part of it is that the risqué humor (well, for the times) is about the level that I find amusing.

There is a deeper level to it that I found intriguing. What happens when complete honesty in communication is enforced? Folks who routinely fib in their job (sales people who must tout a new product as th
Veeral
Martians invade the earth. But instead of arriving in overcompensating spaceships, they just "kwimmed" to earth, meaning, just arrived- like that.

But instead of being blood thirsty aliens annihilating humans, they just annoy humans by invading their privacy and making their every secret public.

Well, the plot sounds good and funny, but this was bit of a letdown. Apart from being dated and trashy, there were very few funny moments than what I had expected prior to reading this.

But on a plus side
Holger Haase
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a lot of fun! The book is full of Douglas Adams style moments of inane irreverent humour, yet written decades before the HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE which makes me wonder how much Fredric Brown may have actually inspired Adams. And yes, it also contains one of Brown's signature references to Lewis Carroll that are always fun to spot.
Chuck
Nov 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't very good.
Drtaxsacto
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martians Go Home is a 65 year old novel by Frederic Brown that was originally published as a pulp paperback. I first read it about 5 years after it was published. But the novel could also say something about the Corona Virus - or at least the extreme difficulty in dealing with an unexpected peril.

The plot is simple - a minor science fiction writer is in a lonely cabin in Indio and encounters little green men. They are not menacing, only rude. They supposedly never lie. They get around using a te
Jim
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my second Fredric Brown book I read this week, the other being What Mad Universe. Both were very good, and both were better in ways I didn't expect. I first read Martians, Go Home back in the 1960s when I was a kid. I and my friends loved the absurdity of the story -- we thought the story was hilarious. I don't remember us talking about the serious aspects of the story, like how the Martians affected the worldwide economy. The Martians in the story force everyone out of work, reminding m ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Solar Lottery
  • The Shrinking Man
  • The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • Eureka Street
  • Astucia, el jefe de los Hermanos de la Hoja (Sepan Cuantos, #63)
  • Los pasos de Jorge
  • Albert Einstein: Creator and Rebel
  • El Evangelio De Lucas Gavilán
  • Juan sin móvil
  • Operación Bolívar
Fredric Brown was an American science fiction and mystery writer. He was one of the boldest early writers in genre fiction in his use of narrative experimentation. While never in the front rank of popularity in his lifetime, Brown has developed a considerable cult following in the almost half century since he last wrote. His works have been periodically reprinted and he has a worldwide fan base, m ...more

News & Interviews

“Ce sera, dit-il au garçon venu prendre la commande de son dessert, un supervibrateur subatomique antiextraterrestre” 1 likes
“Evidentemente, l’oggetto di studio della specie marziana era l’uomo. Gli animali, in quanto tali, non li interessavano, anche se non esitavano a spaventarli o provocarli ogniqualvolta tali azioni potessero avere l’indiretto effetto di disturbare o ferire gli esseri umani. I cavalli, in particolare, avevano paura di loro, e andare a cavallo, per sport o come mezzo di trasporto, diventò tanto pericoloso da essere impossibile.
Solo uno stupido, finché i marziani furono con noi, osò cercare di mungere una mucca che non fosse fermamente assicurata, con le zampe legate e la testa immobilizzata. I cani erano presi dalla frenesia; molti mordevano i loro padroni e li si doveva abbattere. Solo i gatti, dopo una o due esperienze iniziali, si abituarono a loro e li accettarono con calma e aplomb. Ma d’altra parte i gatti sono sempre stati diversi.”
0 likes