Start by marking “Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy, #1)

Firehurler

(Twinborn Trilogy #1)

Kyrus Hinterdale has never dreamed. Neither has Brannis Solaran. What they once thought were dreams were really windows into another world. Linked by fate, and a mystical connection that they do not fully understand, each of them watches the events of the other’s life when they close their eyes to sleep. Kyrus’ world is ruled by reason and bustling trade, while Brannis liv ...more
Kindle Edition
Published December 31st 2013 by Magical Scrivener Press (first published January 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Firehurler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firehurler

Start your review of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy, #1)
Doc Kalb
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent novel with a unique plot. Very well written with accomplished character development and a cohesive story line that melded well from start to finish. It held my interest throughout and left me looking forward to future novels in the series.
M.L. Chesley
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that this book really caught me off guard in a good way. This is some serious, classic fantasy. This is sword and sorcery, high fantasy, epic, hard fantasy, you name it. Don't let the size of the book put you off, it is long, yes. However, this is a world that needs some time to be built in the reader's eye and with good reason and fabulous end results.

Kyrus is just an ordinary man making a living at something he's good at. He never suspects that his dreams might actual
Richard
Kyrus lives in peaceful world, trade and business are important, they have a sophisticated view of the world, they do not execute criminals, magic is viewed by most as something that doesn’t exist, education and intelligence are highly valued. Kyrus himself is a scribe, somewhat lacking in confidence and likes a peaceful life. Every night he dreams he is another man in a vastly different world, that man is Brannis.
Brannis lives in a war torn empire, with enemies on every border, strength a
Amber
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Wow. This book.
Everything was fantastic.
I so completely believed that this book would most likely be terrible, but god was i proved wrong.
If you have the chance to read it, do so.
Nikki
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I loved the unique storyline of this novel. It was such a refreshing concept, unlike the similarities seen among many fantasy novels. The idea of the duel storyline, with corresponding characters in two different worlds was unique and fascinating. The novel doesn’t answer all the questions about exactly how these duel lives work, but I found that to be part of the charm.

“Firehurler” is not a short novel by any means, though it isn’t all that exceptional in length for fantasy novels in general.
Lillith
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beloved-books
This story weaves together warlocks and knights with scriveners and pirates. Some settings are magical and some are mundane, and all of it works. Firehurler is just the right length with just the right cast of characters, and the writing is excellent. This is going in my beloved books list. I cannot wait to read more.
Hydra M. Star
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having dual story lines rich with characters and action taking place in two different worlds, neither of which is our own, this story takes its time setting up for the book’s main event, an epic battle between humans and goblins with a dragon and a demon thrown into the mix for good measure. However, if you aren’t afraid of a book with 600+ page count and like high fantasy, you can’t go wrong here.

With that considerable length in mind and all the characters and action, I won’t attemp
C J
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book! A refreshing new concept that immersed me in the story. Well developed characters with flaws and virtues, it's easy to get caught up in the lives of not only the major characters but many of the lesser characters. Reading it again because I was in such a hurry to find out what happens I may have missed what might be important details for subsequent books. Highly recommend this book to anyone interested in this genre! Anxious for Book 2!
Jen
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of depth in this world and a host of fantastic characters! Sorcerers and goblins and knights...oh my!
Alicia Huxtable
Interesting story. Kept me interested enough to want to read on. I found the characters engaging and the story moved at a good pace with a few BAM reveals throughout the book.
John Willson
Didn't finish it. I picked this up because I've enjoyed his later work - and it was free - but this book is from a less seasoned author. The early chapters are just not engaging. Two character tales proceed - and will doubtless merge later - without first giving us a reason to care about those characters, and in one case, without any conflict. I'll stick to his Black Ocean series and later works.
Dave Ashton
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firehurler was just a book I picked up on an off chance - there's a bloke in armour casually summoning some magic in his hand, and it does has a snappy title. It's been some time since I've stumbled on an author whose text was like unto a siren's call to me, and even before I was finished with the book I was all over his twitter, blog, and checking out what other books he had out. I realise that the internet been around for a while, but it only recently occurred to me that I can seek out authors ...more
Scot
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first installment in a three volume fantasy trilogy. Be forewarned: if you read it, you’ll become pulled into the evolving storylines enough that you’ll want to keep going into the later books to find out what happens, and that will be a time commitment of some length, as this volume alone runs to 542 pages. However, if you appreciate the measured literary construction of well flushed out fantasy worlds, with varying racial, cultural, and even sentient species groups, I do think you’ ...more
Alayna
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that as soon as you think you know what's going to happen...you don't. The worlds are rich and lifelike, and full of characters that you can't help caring about. I was glued to my tablet, reading every chance I got, because I just couldn't wait to find out what was going to develop next! If you like a good adventure with a plot so twisty it should qualify as a pretzel, this is definitely a book for you.
Frith
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I started reading the author's second trilogy a while ago, and wanted more background. I rather regret my decision -- the story's ok but the writing is poor, and the dialogue especially is *terrible*. Luckily, the author has improved by the time he gets to the steampunk series, so I think I'll go back to that eventually rather than trying to read the rest of this one.
Karen
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a huge fantasy fan and for that one reason, I had a hard time BUT I will also say that I loved the plot, the characters and the language. Good one for those of us who aren't fans of fantasy!
Ashley Hackney
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Loved the story and development of characters but it was so slow it was hard for me to stay interested.
Daniel
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
-Bland, fairly lifeless magic system making for characters that are exceedingly overpowered to the point of feeling like there's no danger. There's nothing mystical or wondrous here, no growth (other than Kyrus, who goes from zero to most-powerful-guy-ever in, like, no time at all). The system is such that almost any of the main characters, with a bit of imagination, could singlehandedly turn the tide of every single event in their favor (actually, one morally-gray character does this, which cou ...more
Servius  Heiner
I'm enjoying the story if not the writing. If I had to sum up the book in a single concise sentence:

It's a book of, could have beens.

It could have been great.
The characters, could have been great.
The dialog, could have been great.

It simply isn't.

I'm only halfway through the first book. It has been a rocky start. I keep seeing reviews for how well it's written and I can only scratch my head. Despite its wooden, total lack of finesse, writing mechanics, the story itself is engagin
Brett
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far the most refreshing and innovative fantasy novel I have read in a long time.

I was immediately drawn in by the characters who were both likeable and relateable, with great character development which continued at a fantastic pace throughout the whole story, rather than a tonne of development at the start which often bogs down a novel and makes it painful to get into, the author managed to keep developing his characters as the story progressed at what I could only call a seemless pace. ...more
Jayson Akers
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Really enjoying this series - I really enjoy the characters, the unique magic system and the unique dimensional/parallel universe feature that is the namesake of the trilogy.

As a fan of the amazing Black Ocean trilogy, it was a no-brainer to pick this up and start digging in. Its everything I expected it to be (character driven story with adventures aplenty) and more! The deceptively simple way in which Morin weaves the complex storylines is like watching a master juggler do the near
Joshua Reichard
Want to rate this book higher but I just cannot. It has so much potential. But it just never got there. The discovery of the two worlds fell flat on impact. The supposed climatic end utterly came to a horrible crashing end. Please what happened to the dragon fight? To the Ogar’s slaughtering hundreds? To the magic getting used to its fullest potential or even the magical swords being used? Soooo much could have happened and yet it all ended so fast and spent so much time on the pointless details ...more
Tony Hinde
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining introduction to a well thought-out universe and an intriguing magic system. The story draws the reader forward with alternating perspectives, which take almost a third of the book to be clearly intertwined... so stick with it.

My only niggle is that Kyrus seems to show no curiosity when he learns the other twinborn consider themselves to be a single entity, despite his wildly different understanding at that time. Not problem enough to disturb my enthusiasm though.
Die Woiwode Brüder
Excellent Book with a novel idea. We enjoyed the mechanics of the magic in this world. The characters are well developed and fun to root for, even the bad guys. Lot's of witty banter sprinkle the experience with chuckles. Morin did an excellent job of keeping you in suspense while doling out a fascinating tale. Worth a read...and a reread.
Rebecca
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 star

The constantly shifting narration and overall feeling of sloppiness eliminate most of the pleasure that could have been derived from reading. Only reading it in fragments with copious better stuff between got me through it. 2 star. Potential from story idea not matched in implementation
Nella Darren
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discarded
This is a large bag of trail mix of a book.

It has well written, funny and clever bits but they are hidden in several long winding stories and every time something gripped my interest, that story got abandoned until I didn't care anymore either.

The clever and fun parts would make 4 ir even 5 stars, but the fillers are tedious and I'm not even sure I'll ever finish it.
Karen Helene Handeland
Excellent writing - but.. I listened to it on audible and the performer of the book was.. ehm not to my liking shall we say? So 3 stars because of that, would have been 4-5 if I read it in the paper version, so maybe I'll read the second book in paper..
Suki Rickey
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firehurler was a fun read and had errors throughout. I enjoyed the plot and characters within book 1. It was an interesting twist with each character and how they encountered each other. I look forward to book 2.
Cat
Slow to start, didn't realise that the main two characters were connected until nearly the end of the book. Not sure if this was because it was poorly explained or I just wasn't paying attention.
Volpot
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars. Couldn't finish. Boring story with too many POV
« previous 1 3 next »

• Void Wyrm (The Magitech Chronicles #2)
  • Tech Mage (The Magitech Chronicles #1)
  • Civil War (The Rogue Dungeon #2)
  • Shadowmage (The Spellmonger, #9)
  • Echoes of Angels (Sins of Angels)
  • Knights Magi (The Spellmonger, #4)
  • Dungeon Desolation (The Divine Dungeon, #4)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Spellship (The Magitech Chronicles #3)
  • The Second Realm (The Ten Realms Book 2)
  • War Mage (The Magitech Chronicles #4)
  • Occultist (Saga Online #1)
  • Homefront: An Expeditionary Force Audio Drama Special (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • The Spellmonger's Yule: A Spellmonger Series Short Story
  • The Two Week Curse
  • The Vexed Generation (Magic 2.0 #6)
  • Doom Forge (Viridian Gate Online #6)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
I am a creator of worlds and a destroyer of words. As a fantasy writer, my works range from traditional epics to futuristic fantasy with starships. I have worked as an unpaid Little League pitcher, a cashier, a student library aide, a factory grunt, a cubicle drone, and an engineer--there is some overlap in the last two.

Through it all, though, I was always a storyteller. Eventually I s

Twinborn Trilogy (3 books)
  • Aethersmith (Twinborn Trilogy, #2)
  • Sourcethief (Twinborn Trilogy, #3)