Start by marking “The Complete Stories” as Want to Read:
The Complete Stories

The Complete Stories

Gleaned from her experiences as a child and young adult in America's Deep South and her life as an activist, lover, mother and teacher, this resonant collection showcases three decades of the work from one of the most gifted writers of our time.
Published November 1st 2008 by Phoenix (first published October 13th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Stories

Zanna
Walker's stories dismantle patriarchy and racism with deep compassion and the will to freedom and self-actualisation. And eye rolling. At times, they seem to shade beyond fiction into theory and critique.

I found this collection impossible to put down, compelled as much by the alluring physicality and sensuousness of Walker's prose as by her heartfelt, fiercely intellectual grappling with the issues she takes up. The second half, You can't keep a good woman down was the more enjoyable and thought
Shandin Rickard-Hughes
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Incredible, insightful, intensely powerful short stories about what it is to be black, what it is to be a woman, what it is to be a black woman, and in a bigger sense, what it is to be human. You can sense Alice testing the boundaries of how/whether to write on certain topics close to but covered up by society. Some of the stories really stuck with me, and made me sit and reflect on my own position in the world and within my culture. Brilliant! I will be picking up her other works!
Jenna
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Some of these stories really captured me but mostly, I found myself just wanting to finish them. To me, some seemed too contrived. I think I like my stories a bit more organic in nature.
Sujoya
Feb 17, 2015
Lucy
Jan 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Alice Walker, one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, and Possessi ...more