Start by marking “More to Love (My Beloved, My Friend, #1)” as Want to Read:
More to Love (My Beloved, My Friend, #1)

More to Love (My Beloved, My Friend, #1)

She is tolerable, I suppose, but there is rather too much of her to tempt me.”

Overhearing Mr. Darcy’s rude dismissal of her shocks and mortifies Elizabeth Bennet to the core.

She is living her worst fear, and it galvanizes her into action.

Soon, the gentleman cannot keep his eyes from her, but can she forgive his thoughtless judgment of her appearance and character?

Especi
Published February 12th 2019

To ask other readers questions about More to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More to Love

Debbie Brown
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it, 2019-jaff, jaff
Interesting premise. Mr. Darcy's insult of Elizabeth Bennet at this Meryton assembly has as much to do with her girth as her "tolerable" beauty. He even notes her lack of self-discipline in repeated trips to the refreshment table.

When Elizabeth overhears Darcy's comments, she is devastated but recovers well enough to dance with Mr. Bingley, who is gracious enough to request the next set. We learn she rarely gets asked to dance, that her gowns are getting too tight, and that it's the willowy Jane
Sheila Majczan
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars

I appreciate that this variation gave a little attention to the problem many of us face today: that of weight issues. The Media reports that America is becoming more obese. Do other nations also have this problem? As one other review stated Elizabeth makes a turn around and begins to moderate her food consumption level and to walk twice daily with Jane. (Now that is different - Jane as the walker.) I wish it was that easy to just go Cold Turkey when you love to eat sweet
Sophia
With a little tweak to Darcy's words at the Meryton Assembly and a little tweak to Elizabeth Bennet's propensity for sweets and we have a rather unique variation tale on the original Pride & Prejudice.

As I said, Darcy makes the big faux pas of remarking on a woman's appearance and being overheard by said woman. I groaned as soon as I read the words knowing in that instant the damage words such as those can do to a person. Elizabeth not only hears him refer to her ample charms, but her habit
Hallie Szott
So, I love Pride and Prejudice, and I love retellings. However, I’m sad to say that I did not love More to Love...

Robin Helm’s story takes Jane Austen’s well-known characters, but alters their story by centering the conflict around Elizabeth’s weight and Darcy’s rude comment. The premise is an interesting one, but fails to maintain the P&P tension and instead, delivers a run-of-the-mill, cheesy romance. (Had the characters been any other than Elizabeth and Darcy, I likely would have enjoyed
James S
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Angry Lizzy has two suitors

I give the story 3.5 stars rounded up to 4. Neither Darcy or Lizzy were particularly likable, and her second suitor was somewhat likable but wasn’t very careful of Lizzy’s reputation.

Even toward the end of the book Lizzy remains easy to anger and misunderstanding every new event.

Well written characters hard to root for.certainly no Cinderella or Prince here. Prickly people who all seem to be intelligent but short on wisdom.

Darcy and Bingley are in London for a couple o
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spent my day reading this instead of cleaning house for a party! Lol

Thoroughly enjoyed this variation of Austen's classic by Robin Helm. In this story, a few character traits are different from what we have come to love. Without giving too much away, let's just say that Elizabeth isn't a fan of walking or exercise, and when she hears Darcy's assembly hall put down, she begins to question certain things which have been on her mind for a while. Both she and Darcy are as headstrong as ever, and spl
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This retelling of Pride & Prejudice is less than half the length of the original tome, so of course many of the storylines are not as well fleshed out. Having said that, I enjoyed this short and delightful story of Miss Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy.

With Elizabeth overhearing Mr. Darcy's insult at the Meryton Assembly, that there was too much of her to tempt him and that she lacked self-discipline with her repeated trips to the refreshment table, her self-esteem plummets. She has overheard
Maureen Timerman
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
When I saw that this was the retelling of an old beloved story, I was intrigued, and this is an old story with twists.
Words spoken in jest, and finding out the recipient of those whispers heard them, now Mr. Darcy is devastated. Although others with catty remarks are unfazed.
I found this to be a fun page turning, and enjoyable read.

I received this book through Celebrate Lit, and was not required to give a positive review.

Joan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Avid Reader

I really enjoyed reading this book, especially the Bible verses at the beginning of each chapter. I know that might not be every readers cup of tea, but they were helpful to me after a very stressful work week. Darcy spoke cruelly about Elizabeth at the Meryton assembly. Mrs. He'll made Jane the great walker and Elizabeth a full-figured less who could not stop eating Mrs. Bailey's cookies. I'm fact, she was rarely asked to dance! Truly a different Elizabeth, but Darcy has a competitor
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
Writing a Jane Austen retelling is no easy thing to do. I’ve read a few now and always have mixed emotions. Jane Austen is Jane Austen for a reason, you know? But every now and then I read one that puts a different twist on it, and it brings a smile to my face. Helm was able to do just that with More to Love. While staying true to many of the things we adore about the original, Helm manages to put little bits of herself into this story that make it enjoyable to read.

I must say that for a little
Chautona Havig
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
What Is This Fabulous Fitness Program for Perfect Curves?

In her usual creative style, Robin Helm has conceived a Lizzy Bennet who is self-conscious about her weight. We can thank our beloved Darcy for that one, but it does make for an interesting character shift.

We’re used to seeing Elizabeth as strong-minded, confident, and perhaps “obstinate and headstrong?”

And yes, she most certainly is, but there’s more to her, too.

I’ll be honest. The insecurity she displays about her weight and girth didn’t
Lynda Edwards
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book takes the same basic story of Pride and Prejudice, tweaks a few details, and then sees where those changes might take the characters. I enjoyed reading the story and following it to the conclusion, especially as the differences gave some interesting twists to a familiar story.

Weight can be a sensitive subject, but this book doesn't shy away from any part of the issue, whether it be unfair judgments of others, health concerns, self-image, or even monetary problems related to needing ne
Suzie Waltner
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Y’all know I love me some Jane Austen, but honestly, I’m more than a little over the retellings. Especially the ones that rehash the entire Lizzie Bennett/Fitzwilliam Darcy drama scene for scene. So when first started reading More to Love, I questioned why in the world I’d committed to reading it.

But, and this is one of the best kind, Robin Helm managed to delightfully surprise me within the first several chapters in so many ways.

First, Bingley gregarious and steady, not easily influenced by the
Betti
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘Do not judge on appearances; a rich heart may be under a poor coat.’ Scottish proverb
This is perhaps a lesson for all of us, not just Darcy and Elizabeth in our story. Lizzy has a propensity to overeat, especially the cookies Mrs. Bailey makes just for her. As a result of her indulgence she is a bit rounder than her sisters. Feeling overlooked in public, she is inclined to partake even more. Overhearing a rather derogatory comment made by Darcy referring to her size, Lizzy sets out to make a ch
Caitlyn Santi
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable variation of Pride & Prejudice. In general I am not a fan of sequels, prequels, variations, and reimaginings of Jane Austen's books, but the description of this one intrigued me so much that I decided to give it a try! And I am SO glad I did!

While it did take me a bit to fully get into this story, I ultimately wound up really enjoying it. One thing I wasn't expecting but absolutely loved was the suspense in the last few chapters!

I highly recommend this delightful book, and
Rima
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What if Elizabeth were overweight, and Darcy insulted her about it? Would they still fall in love? A delightful Pride and Prejudice variation, with some good spiritual insights as well.
Stephanie Norton
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Robin Helm's "More to Love" is a different take on a Historical Romance novel. This book is all about appearances. This is a unique variation tale on the original "Pride & Prejudice". After Elizabeth overhears Mr. Darcy's insult at the Meryton Assembly, that she eats too much food and lacks self-discipline. She also overheard others commenting about her size. They are seeing her clothes are getting tighter and tighter. She decides to change her lifestyle by going on an extreme weight loss. S ...more
Ruth Hill
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated in any way and all opinions are 100 percent mine.

First of all, this is a clean romance that is based on Jane Austen's beloved "Pride and Prejudice." I know that this is one of those stories that has been remade and rewritten more times than I can count, and sometimes that will turn readers off. But please don't make that assumption with this book as it would be entirely inaccurate.

Secondly, this is
Deana Dick
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The beginning of the book had my blood boiling. How absolutely rude for a gentleman to say with no regard to feelings that a woman was shall we say a little heavy for his taste. It is typical of society to judge someone by their appearance. Well I was ready to walk over there and give Mr. Darcy a piece of my mind. Elizabeth heard the remark made about her and you could feel inside how deep those words hurt.

Jane was a sweet person and definitely has caught the eyes of a gentleman who cares for he
Tabitha Bouldin
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I’m gonna say it. Whimsical. I’ve been waiting *forever* to say that about a book. Now, I can. Truth Alert: I’ve never read Pride and Prejudice (I’m ducking away from the computer. I can feel your gasps and cries of consternation.) I’ve been meaning too…really! That being said, I cannot compare More to Love with Pride and Prejudice. I’ll simply have to report on the book itself.

I found More to Love to be a fun book, as you’ve likely discovered from my use of whimsical earlier. Elizabeth and Darc
Nyla
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
More to Love is a charming reimagining of Pride and Prejudice by author Robin Helm. I was caught in its web immediately and had a difficult time putting it down. This Christian Regency novel was whimsical and took to to England where I made new friends.

The writing style was almost poetic with authentic words and phrases. I loved it. It flowed like sweet prose. The dialogues were well done and I was enchanted with them. Characters were well defined and rounded with flaws as well as good points. I
Amy
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I have read by author Helm, and the second Pride and Prejudice retelling by her. I really enjoyed the first novella of hers so I was quite excited to see what she would do with a full length novel. Well…I was not disappointed.

The familiar characters and places are back along with all their pride and prejudice. This time Elizabeth overhears Darcy make a comment about her weight in unflattering terms. This understandably upsets Elizabeth and now she has a plan to change her
Debbie
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading "More to Love" by Robin Helm. To be perfectly honest I am surprised I did because at first I was thinking "Oh No", another rewrite of a Jane Austin book which is it but I truly loved this one.

I think this book was more to my liking then others because I was able to relate to the characters because they just felt more realistic to me. My favorite character was Elizabeth because I felt her pain when others criticized her size.

I think this story shows that when you love s
Becky Dempsey
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had previously read Robin Helm's story that was a part of "A Very Austen Valentine". It is the sequel to "More to Love". I did not know this at the time, and reading "More to Love" explained why Mr. Darcy was fixing up the Dower House in that story. "More to Love" starts very much like Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" and then diverts onto its own path. It is an imagining of what would have happened if a key events were slightly altered. It was fun to have phrases from Jane Austen's story a ...more
Katie
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I love Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice, and especially the characters of Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy so I had an instant happiness factor reading More to Love. I found our author's portrayal of the characters we know and love to be accurate and well done, as well as different characters not seen before. The language was well done for the regency era. The way Elizabeth struggled with self-image and weight I think was relatable. I feel that the author put enough of her spin on th ...more
Kendra Neal
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christian Fiction readers
I will start off by saying when I saw the synopsis of this book, my first thought was "Ohhh, another retelling of Pride and Prejudice.". I truthfully wasn't very positive about this book when I first heard about it.

I am a fan of Pride and Prejudice, so I felt the need to read this book to see how alike or different the author, Robin Helm, took the story.

I am very glad I took the opportunity to read Robin Helm's, More to Love. Robin took a classic story and gave it some twists and turns to make
Patti Pierce
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More to Love provides an excellent look into body image and the effects negative comments can have on a woman and her self-esteem. Elizabeth Bennet overhears a man make a negative comment about her size and sets out on a quest to lose weight. She also determines she dislikes the man intensely. However, he realizes he spoke out of turn and realizes he has developed feelings for her.

I love how Mr. Darcy sets out to win Elizabeth’s affection and also provides protection for her family. This book co
Melissa
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this take on Pride and Prejudice. It is one of my favorite stories. The author did a wonderful job of maintaining the integrity of the original story yet putting her own spin on things and bringing it to life.

I definitely felt for Elizabeth and her flaws, as I have struggled with the same thing before. I appreciated how Mr. Darcy began to see beyond her outward appearance and appreciate the beautiful young woman she was within which in turn made her beautiful overall.

If you like
Janice Sisemore
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More to love

A wonderful story about the romance of Elizabeth and Darcy. Set in the 1800’s. I loved the relationship between Elizabeth and her sister Jane. They were so close even though very different. Elizabeth had given up on finding love but should never give up.

This is a short book, which I enjoyed having a short book to read in between the long ones. I haven’t read much of the pride and prejudice stories but loved this twist on it. A very enjoyable book.

I received a complimentary copy of
Amy
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
More to Love is the first book I have read by Robin M Helm. This first installment from her series, My Beloved, My Friend, is a retelling of Jane Austen's well known novel, Pride and Prejudice. It was an interesting take of the story. The twist is Elizabeth Bennett is not physically the same. She has issues with overeating and lack of activity. And Darcy not so nice about it.
More to Love is not at all how I imagined before reading. I did not find it predictable and enjoyed the true to life char
Robin Helm's time revolves around music as she plays and teaches. Her books reflect that love, as well as her fascination with the paranormal and science fiction.

Her latest publication is More to Love, (Darcy comments on Elizabeth's weight). Previously published works include The Guardian Trilogy (Darcy is Elizabeth's guardian angel) and the Yours by Design series (Fitzwilliam Darcy switches place