Start by marking “Cinderella Is Dead” as Want to Read:
Cinderella Is Dead

Cinderella Is Dead

It’s 200 years after Cinderella found her prince, but the fairy tale is over. Teen girls are now required to appear at the Annual Ball, where the men of the kingdom select wives based on a girl’s display of finery. If a suitable match is not found, the girls not chosen are never heard from again.

Sixteen-year-old Sophia would much rather marry Erin, her childhood best
Expected publication: July 7th 2020 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderella Is Dead

Start your review of Cinderella Is Dead
AJ
May 20, 2019 marked it as arc-to-read  ·  review of another edition
QUEER BLACK GIRLS OVERTHROWING THE PATRIARCHY??? YES PLEASE!!!!!!
Kai
Dec 13, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
so this queer, black Cinderella retelling has just become one of my most anticipated 2020 releases
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Nov 18, 2019 marked it as anticipated-2020
you had me at "queer black girls overthrowing the patriarchy"
Dia
May 20, 2019 marked it as 2020-releases
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
" queer black girls team up to overthrow the patriarchy in the former kingdom of Cinderella"

just take my money
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Every single part of this summary is correct.

"a YA fantasy in which queer black girls team up to overthrow the patriarchy in the former kingdom of Cinderella."
Bee ☆
Jan 15, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020-reads

・ 。゚: *. .* :゚.
Synopsis:

Sophia Grimmins is a 16 year old girl living in Lille fed up with the rules of an oppressive patriarchal society. Every year the teen girls in the town are forced to attend a ball to offer themselves to eligible suitors for their hand in marriage, but Sophia has always had dreams of running away with her friend and love Erin.

When and incident at the ball leaves Sophia with no other choice but to run and leave everything behind or forfeit or life, she meets a descendant
Shehzeen Muzaffar
Dec 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
i AM SO FUCKING READY FOR THIS
mahana
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5

a smart concept with a lot of deeper meanings, but i was really bored with the execution. rtc

rep: Black lesbian mc and li, f/f romance, side Black lesbian character

tws: misogyny, homophobia, mentions of suicide
Ava
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Freaking amazing.
This book really is queer black girls overthrowing the patriarchy and *flails* I am HERE for it. Sophia is supposed to show up to an annual ball, unofficially to have some man decide that he wants to marry her. She has three seasons to get "picked," else she's deemed a spinster for life and is basically dead to society.
WELL SOPHIA DOESN'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT.
She wants to live a beautiful, free life with her girlfriend, dammit, and she'll be damned if she ends up the property of
May Regan
Dec 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
I love all of these 2020 releases that are like:
Let's take a beloved classic....
Maybe a dystopian world.....
Some romance.....
AND MAKE IT GAY.
I'm so down for all of these books - my bookshelf is not ready.
Sage
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely stellar and I loved everything about it. Some plot points I predicted (the light!!!) and others I was 1000% wrong about, but WOW what a ride.

I’ve been reading a lot of WWII historical fiction lately, so getting to just sink into a fabulous YA fantasy was so completely gratifying. This book was badass.

Sophia is such a great heroine, and I loved her evolving relationship with Constance. And Constance — WHAT a character arc!!! And I really liked Constance’s backstory with
The Artisan Geek
Sep 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
30/9/19
"queer black girls team up to overthrow the patriarchy in the former kingdom of Cinderella". BRUH.
I'm SO here for it!!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Vi ✨ Being infinite
Lets take down the patriarchy!!!
Jackie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, 2019-reads, fantasy
She may be dead but her legacy and all the powerful moments in this book shall not be forgotten.

“Cinderella is Dead” sees a kingdom mesmerized by the infamous love story turned fairy tale featuring Prince Charming and Cinderella and from their happiness an annual ball is held where each girl is ordered to attended and find a husband, but this happily ever after has turned into a nightmare where women are forced to smile and shrug off abuses for fear or execution and with an unexpected act of
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Thank you Macmillan and Bloomsbury YA for the ARC.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
Maddie
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loft-ya, favorites
Cinderella has been dead for two hundred years. According to the fairy tale all citizens are required to read Cinderella met her prince at the ball and they lived happily ever after. Today teen girls are now required to appear at the Annual Ball, where the men of the kingdom select wives based on a girl’s display of finery. If a suitable match is not found after three balls the girls are forfeited to the castle and never heard from again.
Sixteen-year-old Sophia would much rather marry Erin, her
Kathi
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story of this one! I thought it was true (too true *sigh*) to life in the sense that you are told fairy tales as a young girl and you grow up to realize that there is way more to the story - you can't just trust that magically everything will be all right, in order for that world you want to be reality, you have to help create it, you can't just trust that others will do it for you. I loved that the women in this story wanted the truth to be out there about Cinderella's ...more
Joelene Weeks
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
This book, y'all! Such a fascinating and unique spin on the Cinderella fairytale, and done so incredibly well! I can't wait until it's released into the world so that everyone can experience its brilliance cause this book is EVERYTHING!

Full review TK, I just needed y'all to know about the greatness that is Cinderella is Dead.

**Thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss+ for the DRC! All opinions are my own.**
Brooke
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I LOVED this book. There were a few pacing issues I acknowledge and some dropped threads, but none of that took away from my personal enjoyment. Queer black girls destroying the patriarchy is just as fantastic as you'd think! I also noticed a few lines that would open this up for a series with other fairy tales, and I'm super into that idea. Regardless, I can't wait to see what Kalynn writes next.
Zoe (semi-hiatus)
Dec 30, 2019 marked it as release-2020
Idk what it is about this book, but I'm super drawn to it.

*thinks for 0.000000001 seconds*

Oh, it's because I'm super queer

Makes sense.
Aug 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
yes, please, thank you
lia
Dec 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
ohmygod I'm so ready for this

also, that cover is so p r e t t y!!
Lana
rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2020

• Tweet Cute
  • The Flatshare
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Flowers for Algernon
  • Cemetery Boys
  • The Starless Sea
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Such a Fun Age
  • I Think I Might Want You (Love Sisters Book 3)
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • The Deep
  • That Churchill Woman
  • American Dirt
  • Grand Theft N.Y.E. (Heist Holidays, #1)
  • Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • I Think I Might Need You (Love Sisters Book 2)
  • The Girl in Red