Start by marking “Woman on the Edge” as Want to Read:
Woman on the Edge

Woman on the Edge

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  7,725 ratings  ·  1,286 reviews
A moment on the subway platform changes two women’s lives forever—a debut thriller that will take your breath away.

A total stranger on the subway platform whispers, “Take my baby.”

She places her child in your arms. She says your name.

Then she jumps...

In a split second, Morgan Kincaid’s life changes forever. She’s on her way home from work when a mother begs her to take
Published June 1st 2019 by Headline Publishing Group Limited

To ask other readers questions about Woman on the Edge, please sign up.
Samantha Bailey Thanks so much for asking, Jason. My publisher is based in Canada, and because our largest book chain here chose WOMAN ON THE EDGE as their December P…moreThanks so much for asking, Jason. My publisher is based in Canada, and because our largest book chain here chose WOMAN ON THE EDGE as their December Pick of the Month, we moved the pub date in Canada to much earlier than scheduled. The ebook and audio book is available now in the US, and the paperback is out March 3rd, 2020. I so appreciate that you'd like to choose it for your book clubs! (less)

·  7,725 ratings  ·  1,286 reviews

Start your review of Woman on the Edge
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This author is brilliant and such a sweetheart! Go and grab your hardcover which just realized today!!!

Four full of action, thrilling, anxious, riveting, oh boy this book really makes you face with your own inner demons stars!

When I see the title, I just started to visualize a woman is standing at the roof of the skyscraper (This kind of suicidal act reminded me of two movie: Jax Teller a.k.a Charlie Hunnam’s “Ledge” and Sam Worthington`s –what’s the problem with all those hot Brit guys to accep
Michelle
Feb 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
"Pulse-pounding, heartrending, shocking, thrilling. This is one book you won't be able to stop thinking about." <---- Did the person who wrote that actually read this book? I'm genuinely curious.

Oh, I won't stop thinking about it alright. Thinking about what an absolute waste of time this was.

Pros: It's a quick read.

Cons: This book has so many issues that I can't even be bothered to discuss them all.

You've been warned!!!

Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Shuster for providing me with a di
Norma
Action-packed, intense, & thrilling!

WOMAN ON THE EDGE by SAMANTHA M. BAILEY is a gripping, captivating, and suspenseful thriller that weaves quite the palpable and emotional story. I was immediately hooked and was so gripped with what I was reading that I was frantically swiping those pages as fast as I possibly could to reach that very satisfying conclusion.

SAMANTHA M. BAILEY delivers a foreboding, complex, intriguing and propulsive read here with quite the compelling and realistic characters.
Sue
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very captivating read.
This starts off in one full action plan BANG and doesn’t stop.

One new mother with a sad eventful past.
A secret known only to a few.

Is the mother going mad? Does she have PND? Is she paranoid? Or is she just tormented by her past.
Or....
Is it real.

She’s now left with her young baby and her husband leaves, he can no longer handle her “craziness”.

The event that happened has left another woman under suspect by police.

The way this is all written out takes you step by step thro
Paige
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
In the first chapter, a scared woman that Morgan has never seen calls her by name and tells her to take care of her baby before jumping in front of a train. What was the woman running from and why did she entrust her baby to Morgan? How did she know her name?

Chapters alternate between Morgan, in the present, and the baby's mother, Nicole, in the past.
Nicole's situation as a new mother spotlights the reality of postpartum depression for women.

"Was this what motherhood felt like for everyone
Mary Kubica
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One woman’s struggles with motherhood and another’s desperate desire to be a mother collide in this explosive and frenetic debut. WOMAN ON THE EDGE is a white-knuckle read that welcomes a bright new talent to the world of psychological suspense.
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Morgan Kincaid is waiting on a train platform on her way home from work. She is startled by a distraught woman who approaches her with an infant. The woman hands her baby over to Morgan and tells her to keep her safe then jumps in front of an oncoming train.

When Morgan is questioned by police, she learns that the woman, Nicole, was a prominent businesswoman of a popular clothing brand. Morgan is also considered a suspect in Nicole’s death since there are no other witnesses to her suicide. Morga
Carolyn
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
*2.5* Stars.
I wish to thank NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for the ARC for Woman On the Edge in return for an honest review. This was an intense psychological thriller and Samantha M. Bailey’s debut novel. She displays talent in developing a compelling premise and a twisty plot.

I failed to empathize with the flawed characters with their past secrets, tragedies, and regrets. As the twists developed, I found some of the reveals strained for credibility. An underlying menace undermined the chara
Elaine
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of Woman on the Edge.

This had an interesting premise; a widow with a past named Morgan is approached by a distraught young woman, Nicole, with a newborn on a subway platform, handing her the baby before she commits suicide.

Unfortunately, I found it difficult to get drawn into the story, mostly because the author forces the reader to suspend disbelief one too many times, and sorry, but I just couldn't do it. It was too hard.

I just couldn't believe a w
Carrie
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Woman on the Edge by Samantha M. Bailey is a thriller with two ladies as the main characters. The story is told by changing the point of view between the characters in two different timelines, one from the present and one in the past.

The story begins with Morgan Kincaid on her way home getting ready to take the train when an unknown woman suddenly approaches Morgan and pushes her baby into her arms. Right after telling Morgan to “Take my baby.” the woman in question jumps in front of the train t
Nursebookie
Woman on the Edge by Samantha M. Bailey

Oh my WOW!! I was looking for a thriller read that is gripping, engrossing, captivating, suspenseful with a creative plot and twists. Boy, did Bailey deliver in this book and more. I loved this book and was completely hooked from the start. Told in two story lines between these two women that moved the story quickly. Samantha Bailey wrote with a passion that leads the readers into this foreboding storyline that is highly addicting and interesting to read. I
Dana Osmond
Dec 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I could (almost)overlook the super- dramatic, implausible storyline, I could overlook the archetypical rich white people characters, I could even steele my senses against the terrible writing, including the author's obsession with letting us know the names of the streets the characters are driving on or turning on to. Yup, I was willing to let all that fly...up until I read "tentacles of fear crawled up her neck." That's when I burst out laughing, picturing a squid atop her head, with its tentac ...more
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
I loved this book! I can't believe it was Samantha Bailey's debut novel! (Correction, her debut novel in this genre!) This book pulled me in right at the beginning and continued right through to the end! A successful business woman, Nicole Markham, is struggling with her role as a new mother! She's dealing with postpartum psychosis and extreme fear. This part of the book really hit me, as I have had some hard times after the birth of my children. Then you have Morgan Kincaid, a widow who is deal ...more
Judy D Collins
EXCEPTIONAL AUTHORS. STANDOUT BOOKS. ELEVATOR TALK. Check out my Q&A Interview with the Author. Go behind the scenes with the fabulous Samantha M. Bailey and her latest knock-out debut thriller #WomanontheEdge —Exclusives and fun facts about this new rising star in fiction!

Engrossing, Heart-Pounding, Compelling, Explosive!

Samantha M. Bailey delivers a spellbinding debut that captures you from the first page and never lets you go until the satisfying conclusion.

WOMAN ON THE EDGE is assured
Bookread2day
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone is going to be talking about this novel as the hype of The Woman On The Edge is real, there are no ifs or buts it's the book everyone wants to reads.

Morgan is a social worker who recognises the signs of stress. But she didn't notice anything wrong with her husband, who she found dead.

Then with Morgan on the way to work standing on the platform a woman with a baby says her name Morgan I've been watching you, please take my baby, don't let anyone hurt he. Love her for me, then the woman
Louise Wilson
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
On a train platform, a woman hands her baby daughter to a stranger and asks her to to look after and love her daughter. Then the woman jumped in front of the o coming train. Megan is still coming to terms with the death of her embezzling husband when the woman pushes her daughter into her arms. But why did the woman choose her. And how did she know her name?

This story is told from Morgan and Nicole's perspectives. Nicole is the woman who jumped I front of the train. Its told in the present day a
Krista
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub, 2020
Icy fingers of fear run up my back despite the sweltering heat inside Grand/State station. The woman is on edge, and so am I — literally, at least. I always stand on the edge of the platform so I can be first on the train. One hard push is all it would take for me to fall onto the tracks. As bleak as the last eighteen months have been, no matter how ostracized I’ve become after Ryan’s suicide, I’ve made a new life for myself. I don’t want it to end here.

Woman on the Edge is another one of th
Zoe
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feverish, intense, and engrossing!

Woman on the Edge is a well-crafted, gripping novel that takes you into the lives of Nicole Markham, a successful businesswoman who finds herself completely paralysed by fear and anxiety after the birth of her baby girl, Quinn, and Morgan Kincaid, a woman with her own traumatic past whose life is suddenly turned upside down when she finds herself a suspect in a crime she inadvertently becomes entangled in.

The writing is edgy and crisp. The characters are vulner
BernLuvsBooks
Imagine yourself standing on a platform after a day at work, just waiting to go home. Suddenly, a harried looking woman stands before you, urging you to take her baby to love and protect before plummeting to her death on the tracks. Crazy right! ⁣

The plot of 𝘞𝘰𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘌𝘥𝘨𝘦 sounded like one I had to read. What would bring a woman to such a place? Unfortunately, it ended up being just too implausible for me. The book was filled with insta-emotion all around and that bothered me because it just
MicheleReader
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morgan Kincaid is standing on a subway platform when a distraught woman holding a baby thrusts the child into her hands. “Please, take my baby,” the stranger pleads. “Don’t let anyone hurt her. Love her for me, Morgan.” Morgan catches the baby before the mother jumps in front of an oncoming train. Morgan, who has never met or seen the woman before, immediately becomes a person of interest in the mother’s death.

We learn that the victim, Nicole Markham, was the CEO of a popular yoga lifestyle bran
Joelle Egan
Jan 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Firstly, I have to say that I have a deep respect for anyone who puts pen to paper, embarking on the thankless task of writing a novel. I admire those who have the stamina and bravery to put something original out there - exposed and vulnerable to critics who cannot possibly understand how difficult it is to be truly original and expressive when so many wonderful things have already been written. I love reading, and appreciate that my own passion could not be fulfilled if others did not take thi ...more
Nicki
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woman On The Edge is the gripping,enthralling story of two emotionally flawed women who it seems fate has decided to throw together in a heart breaking,shocking encounter that results in one of them being dead and the other having to fight to prove that she is neither a child abductor or a murderer.

Nicole Markham has a charmed life,she is beautiful,is CEO of her own clothing company,has a handsome loving husband and is the mother of a gorgeous seven week old daughter. So what would make her want
Isabel • The Crime Bookshelf
4 STARS.

Thank you so much to Simon & Schuster CA for the gifted copy of WOMAN ON THE EDGE! This book is the definition of a fast-paced and twisty thriller 🙌🏼 I seriously couldn’t put it down and I devoured it in just one sitting!⁣

What I enjoyed most about this book was how quickly it pulled me in. I was hooked right from the first sentence and that doesn’t happen to me very often 👌🏼 This book moved at such a quick pace, which was perfect because I love a good binge-worthy thriller. I also real
Kimberly Belle
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woman on the Edge opens with an ingenious setup: a woman on the subway hands her baby to a total stranger, then jumps in front of an oncoming train. But were they really strangers, and did she really jump? Suspicions swirl in this propulsive debut, and the truth is revealed in twisty, page-turning increments that culminate in a whopper of an ending. A clever and addictive read from a bright new talent.
Christina McDonald
Exhilarating and evocative with a palpable sense of tension throughout, Woman on the Edge had me gripped from the very first page. This is one of those books that effortlessly ticks all the boxes: wonderful word building, realistic characters and a gripping plot that made me keep flipping the pages.

On a platform in Chicago, Morgan’s life is changed forever when a stranger hands her a baby, then jumps in front of an oncoming train. But Morgan quickly becomes entwined with the story when she becom
Cynthia
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After handing her baby to a stranger on the subway platform, Nicole Markham jumps to her death. The stranger, Morgan Kincaid, has no idea why she was chosen to care for this child and while the police look into all of the strange circumstances surrounding the suicide, Morgan does some sleuthing of her own.

These are my least favorite reviews to write.

Keep in mind, I’m simply sharing my experience with the book. I fully appreciate the heart that goes into writing a novel and am very glad there a
Marc
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Many others really liked this one, but it didn't work for me. I figured out the mystery fairly early on, I didn't connect with or like any of the other characters, and I had issues with the plot. That being said, it was a fast read and I did want to finish it to see how it would end.
Dana
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
Oh heck yes! Woman On The Edge certainly delivered everything I could ever ask for in a thriller. Twists & turns, fantastic plot, well developed characters and engaging writing!! I read this book in two sittings ... and only because I had to take a break to feed the family, haha! I didn't want to put this down. Though I did figure out who the villian was very early on in the book I was still surprised by the motive. Definitely a new fav author! Can't wait to see what's next.

Huge thank you to Si
Melike
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The book starts out strong with Nicole jumping off the platform onto the train tracks after handing her baby to a stranger. I definitely wanted to know why a new mother would do such a desperate act. However, as the story progressed I started to lose interest. The story was just not compelling enough. The characters were not developed well and I failed to connect with them. The final reveal was lackluster as well.

Thank you to Net Galley and Simon & Schuster for providing me with an ARC in exchan
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ehbooklover, margaret, laura
4.5 STARS - This compelling and intriguing premise will snag readers from the get-go. A woman suddenly hands her baby to an unsuspecting woman, seconds before she jumps in front of the train. Say wha?! This emotional and shocking scene is just the start of the suspenseful and impressive debut novel of Canadian author Samantha M. Bailey.

Within her a compulsive and twisty plot, Bailey incorporates the struggles of new motherhood, mental illness with believably flawed, yet resilient female characte
Book Clubbing: Nicole and Greg 3 9 May 19, 2020 03:39AM
Book Clubbing: Tessa 4 6 May 19, 2020 03:37AM
Book Clubbing: Platform of hope 2 6 May 19, 2020 03:36AM

• The Guilty Mother
  • The Good Neighbor
  • The Ex
  • Then She Vanishes
  • The Night You Left: The tense and shocking thriller that readers can’t put down
  • Simon Says
  • Little Voices
  • The Scandal
  • The Darkest Summer
  • Someone Is Lying
  • How to Play Dead
  • The Roommates
  • What He Did (Detective Rachel Hart #2)
  • When She Finds You
  • Best Friends Forever
  • Good Little Liars
  • We Were Sisters
  • The Mother's Mistake
Samantha M. Bailey is the USA TODAY, #1 Toronto Star and Globe and Mail, and Amazon, Barnes & Noble Nook, and Apple Books bestselling author of WOMAN ON THE EDGE. Her psychological thriller debut received a starred review from Publisher’s Weekly and was a PW Best Books Pick of the Week. It was also the December Fiction Book of the Month at Indigo Books and the Shopper’s Drug Mart January Book Love ...more

Articles featuring this book

Summer is a great time to lose yourself in a page-turning mystery. To help you sleuth out a new read, we asked five of the season’s hottest...
“Tentacles of fear climb up the back of my neck” 0 likes