Start by marking “Down to the Sea” as Want to Read:
Down to the Sea

Down to the Sea

'A haunting, moving story.' Kirsty Wark.

When Rona and Craig buy a large Victorian house up from Edinburgh's Newhaven district – once teeming with fishing boats – they plan to renovate and set it up as a luxury care home. But something is not quite right: disturbing sounds can be heard when the sea mists swirl; their unpredictable neighbour makes it clear that the house w

Published February 21st 2019 by Contraband

To ask other readers questions about Down to the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to the Sea

Love
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With Down to the Sea, you have two stories in one. You get to follow Jessie Mack in 1898 as she makes her way to the poorhouse at Wardie House in Newhaven, Edinburgh. Then you meet Craig and Rona in 1981 as they move into the same house to open up a luxury care home.

If you read my reviews often you will know that I love a flip flop book. I love going between the two time periods and with this story the house itself is the main character.

Sue Lawrence is sublime at creating a spooky atmosphere and
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
I just realised that this Sue Lawrence is the same as the author of Scottish Baking, should have baked one of her cakes to eat while reading. I really enjoyed this dual timeline narrative and it creeped me out in places. I may have muttered “eek” in some places, I am easy to be scared. An enjoyable read for a Sunday afternoon:)
Joanne
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Down to the Sea is set in Newhaven, just a short way along the coast from me. It was once a thriving fishing village and still prides itself on being a very distinctive part of Edinburgh.

There are two tales running in parallel in this book. In the more contemporary part of the story set in the 1980s, Rona and Craig have bought the old run-down Wardie House and set to work converting it into a luxury nursing home. As the residents begin to arrive, they start to learn more about the sad and somewh
The Literary Shed
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue Lawrence’s Down to the Sea joins the number of novels, at the moment being published, set in dual timelines. Moving between the early 1980s, when the book opens, and the late 1890s, it’s set in the Newhaven area of Edinburgh, by the sea.

From the first words, we’re plunged into Rona and Craig’s new life as they move into their renovation project, a large Victorian house that they’re turning into a luxury care home. The building has a lot of history, reportedly built by a sea captain who never
Misfits farm
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I’m not usually into historical fiction but this one drew my eye being a mystery and was recommended by a friend so I gave it a go and I am very glad I did. Set across two timelines, the 1980’s and 1890’s it tells the story of a house. Wardie house was a poorhouse and Jessie has been sent there after losing her father and brother to a sea tragedy. Everyone believes that she is cursed and she is called a Winzie, after she stepped on their boat that was lost at sea with many others lost. In the 19
Marsha Welsh
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gripping

Beautifully written story!The characters really seem to jump out in this story so real .kept me gripped whole way through.shall certainly read more books by sue
Elizabeth Findlay