Start by marking “The Monster” as Want to Read:
The Monster

The Monster

The Monster follows a young college student who has strained relationships with his mother, best friend, and ex-girlfriend. When an attack from an unknown puppet-themed assailant at a Halloween party leaves the protagonist seemingly at fault, he decides to flee rather than face consequences.

This starts a chain reaction of bad luck for the protagonist, who soon
Published January 2019 by Josh Soule

To ask other readers questions about The Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster

InD'tale Magazine
“Once in every generation a monster awakens,” is the chilling sentence that ends the prologue, pushing readers into this twisted psychosocial thriller.

Read full review in the 2019 October issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Penny Mann
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exciting adventure, with an unexpected ending. I'm encouraging all my friends to read this book - you will love it!
Norma
( Format : Audiobook )
"A caterpillar on a city sidewalk..."
This is the intense and disturbing first person monologue of an unnamed, emotionally immature college student who finds himself accused of assault, then murder, following the shooting of the judge at his hearing. Distraught by the ending of his year long relationship with girlfriend, Kelly, and the perceived betrayal of best friend, Tony, he goes on the run, only to be further pursued by the sinister Puppet Man.

Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I received this book for free. I am voluntarily leaving this review and all opinions expressed herein are mine.

Here, a college student and his girlfriend have ended their relationship. He then sees his good friend being romantic with her at a party. Suddenly the friend is stabbed. The student is charged but he claims that he is innocent and he saw the stabber, nicknamed "The Puppet." When the student shows up in court, he witnesses the Judge being murdered in court - again he claims it was "The
Jessica
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Psychological thrillers are hard to read sometimes. You can get chills if the author is good enough. The author of this book, Josh Soule is very good. I didn’t quite get chills, but I was disturbed by plenty of the scenes and the twisty (for lack of better word) thought processes of the “Puppet Man”. This book was a very quick read, between it being short and the fast, almost racing pace set throughout, it felt like a whirlwind. The main character being framed by the puppet man, a nameless colle ...more
Pegboard
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once in every generation, a monster awakens... What a chilling phrase to begin this murder thriller by Josh Soule. The Monster centers on psychological events that continually point to a college student present at each episode. The killer keeps getting away, framing the college student. People he loves keeps getting harmed, and he is at a loss how to stop this maniac.

I have seen The Monster on a couple different book sites and am glad I took the time to read it. Josh Soule captures your
Jimmy Jefferson
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thrilling twisted psychological thrill ride

This thrilling story surrounds an average college student who has some issues with his mother as well as the ex girlfriend. As we learn the key people in his life , when begin to discover there is a sinister person hiding in the shadows trying to destroy this simple college life. This serial killer has picked our protagonist as his patsy and is now systematically implicating him in these horrible murders. Will our college boy find the truth and h
RJ
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting mystery with well-developed characters. The plot is a bit odd, to say the least. Our protagonist finds himself either a pawn in a game of murder or an unlucky soul that’s always in the wrong place at the wrong time. The MC is a bit woman obsessed and perhaps somewhat naïve. As the tale unfolds you begin to wonder how the MC can get himself into these predicaments. How indeed? I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Rebecca
Scary

So much thrilling stuff in this book. I read a lot of books that are about crime but this one got my blood pumping right away. The book starts off interesting right away and doesn’t ever stop. I started reading this in the dark to up the experience. The story line is good and I enjoyed it a lot. There were many great parts that left me with my mouth open. Good stuff!
Amanda Harrenga
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Monster is a really good debut mystery novel! It follows a young man as he is on the run for a framed murder. As his life begins to spin out of control he meets some unlikely acquantances that help him hide out. When things dont calm down, he is faced with a reality that is shocking and enticing. A quick read, The Monster is a gripping story with evolved and relateable characters.
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have left this review voluntarily.

I wish the book were longer and elaborated more on certain relationships within the characters, but overall a great and quick story!
timj26
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fans of psychological thrillers will enjoy this
I thought the ending was great really brings it all together
A good first novel I would check out more from this author in the future
I received a free review audiobook and voluntarily left this review
Sierra
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eerie

Well defined characters, good dialogue, gripping from beginning to end. This book was difficult to put down once I started, and delivers a shocking ending. Would definitely recommend.
Geri
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay read

It wasn't what I expected. I felt a need for more detail about why the monster killed. There wasn't a reason for the killings.
Deedra
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I felt very neutral about this story and it's narrator.It is all just 'ok'.Not bad,not great,just ok. I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Cynthia Horn
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An fascinating book exploring the intricacies of our lives, relationships with others and the perseverance to overcome whatever threatens us.
Brook
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
What do you do when you are framed for a crime? This story chronicles a man who finds himself accused and on the run. It kept me interested until the very end. Great listen.
Lexxi
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The book was well written with clear characters. There were only a handful of grammar errors (mostly: don't'). I didn't find the story that compelling. It was easy to guess what was happening.
Valeta
Debee Sue
April Mayer
Kayla
Feb 16, 2019
Josh Soule is a self-published author from Wyoming. He has worked in Law Enforcement, Security, social work, and currently in education as a behavior specialist. His experiences have helped him develop a better understanding of crime, addiction, and psychology.

Josh has an MBA, and is earning a second degree in Education. He enjoys utilizing his education and experiences to create psych