Start by marking “The Lost Girls: A dark and twisty supernatural thriller” as Want to Read:
The Lost Girls: A dark and twisty supernatural thriller

The Lost Girls: A dark and twisty supernatural thriller

Rose MacLeod must solve the puzzle of her impossible life… Or lose it forever.

Edinburgh student, Rose MacLeod, has been missing time for as long as she can remember. Days and weeks disappear, leaving terrifying gaps in her memory.
Now she is seeing horrifying visions; waking nightmares of violence and death. Around the world young women like her are being killed, and R
Published January 22nd 2019 by Siskin Press Limited (first published January 20th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Girls

Start your review of The Lost Girls: A dark and twisty supernatural thriller
 Reading Reindeer Emigrates To Pluto
THE LOST GIRLS is a dark supernatural thriller about a university student in historic Edinburgh who inadvertently commences experiencing realistic visions of the deaths of young women much like herself, and of a young man trained by his father since the age of seven to be a demon hunter. A sensorily engaging novel, readers easily empathize with Rose and desire to solve the puzzling mystery.
Tatiana
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-print
This is a book that kept me curious but confused throughout, awaiting the next twist and trying to figure out what was what and who was what and who was who. To me, it felt like we were discovering the truth alongside Rose and navigating the strange new world she was waking up in.

I found that all the characters were brilliantly rendered and in depth, though the romance element was a bit puzzling in its suddenness. Edinburgh was a perfect setting for the story and that leant another layer of won
Rasmenia Massoud
This started out entertaining enough, but the longer it went on, the more I found my attention wandering. The idea for the story is solid, but for a supernatural thriller, there’s almost no world building whatsoever. The one character who is even remotely interesting also happens to be the only one with any real backstory. (Sure, that backstory involves a pair of brothers who hunt demons and were trained to do so by their deceased father. So... like a Scottish Sam and Dean Winchester. But that’s ...more
Cath
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bit of an odd read. The events that start the story, leave you in a sort of limbo, trying to work out where they fit in with the rest of what is happening. It will make sense once you reach the end and can fit all the different parts together. The main characters are Rose, a student, who seems to always be losing time and unable to remember her past; Mal a hunter of evil supernatural beings, but now working for these evil supernatural beings to earn a living, going against everything h ...more
Angelnet
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle, arcs
Edinburgh student, Rose MacLeod, has been losing time for as long as she can remember. Days and weeks just disappear, leaving her with terrifying gaps in her memory. Now she is seeing disturbing visions; waking nightmares of violence and death. Around the world young women like her are being killed and Rose appears to have a ringside seat.

Mal Fergusson was raised to hunt demons in the cities and mountains of Scotland. With his father dead and his brother in a coma, he no longer believes in the g
Janine
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a modern, pacey, supernatural thriller set in Edinburgh. I’m not usually a fan of supernatural thrillers but this book won me over due to its interesting plot, strong characters and fast moving action. Rose McLeod is a first year student at Edinburgh Uni with no friends except the charismatic Astrid. But Rose keeps having blackouts, finding when she wakes that time has passed that she can’t account for. In the meantime demons inhabit the streets of Edinburgh, unrecognised to most humans ...more
Lisa Redmond
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Girls is a page turning supernatural thriller. Rose a student at Edinburgh University keeps losing chunks of time, blacking out only to resurface hours or even days later and if that wasn't bad enough she is experiencing strange visions of terrible violence. Meanwhile Mal Ferguson who used to hunt demons finds himself working for one. He is tasked with finding out about the strange disappearances of young girls and he's been told to track down one very special girl, who has abilities th ...more
hollie
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This pleasantly surprised me. I'm not really sure what I was expecting when I went into this book, but it was an interesting, quick read that left me wanting more.

- a creepy, thriller style paranormal
- mal - a complete cutie and badass demon hunter. the best thing about mal is that he doesn't take everything at face value.
- rose was a well fleshed-out character, I really saw her journey as she learned things and I liked that

I was really confused at a lot of points and not going to lie, I'm stil
Judy-Anne Richard
Fiona Galloway
I did enjoy this book, the author’s writing style was engaging and the fact that the story was set in Edinburgh really added to the atmosphere. The idea was fantastic and captivating, and the world was really intriguing but my main issue was that it was never all that well explained for me. Aspects of the world were blithely mentioned with no real explanation and I found it detracted from my enjoyment of the book because I was confused as to the intricacies of the plot and thus did not feel like ...more
Nancy McFadden
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, frightening, mind-expanding

I really liked Sarah Painter 's first couple of books, and was disappointed by the Raven series, but this was so different - unique, unpredictable, and definitely dark and twisty.

I'm a huge Buffy fan and see some of that in this (though, unfortunately, not as much humor), but that's the only touchstone I have to compare it to. I read voraciously, but put down books to get other things done. Not this one. I had to keep going back to see what was going to ha
Ann O'Nymos
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, hiddengem, freda
I loved this book! It started a bit confusing with many plots of different people. But it picked my interest and I was hooked. The story slowly unfolds but there is always some mystery keeping you on edge. And to figure out what is going on isn't at all easy, if you think you are on the right way it just turns out to be something different.
I also liked the different kind of magic involved.
5 stars for keeping me up reading until the wee hours.

Only one minor glitch/discrepancy:(view spoiler)
Kim
Oct 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm only giving this three stars because it was really disjointed in the beginning. There were a lot of jarring jumps between scenes throughout, but they started making more sense later in the book so weren't quite as bad, but it was hard to track what was happening. I had to work a little harder than I usually like to keep going. That said, I really enjoyed the characters and the premise and the undercurrent of magic in modern places.
Marbeth Skwarczynski
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Demon hunters, ghosts, and restless spirits abound in this fast-paced thriller. Rose and Agnes share a bond closer than friendship or family. Agnes is obsessed with late nights out, men, and hot chocolate, while Rose depends on the steadying influences of school and home. They're two normal freshmen girls. What could the underworld possibly want with them?
andrea keen
Good read

I enjoyed this book and discovering what was actually happening made it hard to put down. I was quite surprised by the ending and maybe a little disappointed too, but I guess it was the only way that it could without being a bit daft. I can't actually make my mind up, but I definitely love this author.
Helen
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

‘Books were often powerful. People assumed this was because of the words inside, but that wasn’t quite correct. People held books for a long time, they concentrated on them, they communed. They worshipped. That was what books gave - some books - power. The hush in a library was reverential for good reason.’ (Chapter 15, The Lost Girls)
Laura Davis
Fun and quite original for urban fantasy. Its not a taxing read and if you like the Ben Aaranovitch type books you cant really go wrong with this on a lazy sunday. Whilst the author does use "white light" as a bit of a deux ex machina to move the plot along whenever she feels like it, the explanation for it at the end od the book lets her get away with it...just.
Debbie Roach
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this book. The story line was great and had me confused (in a good way) and wanting to read more. However the beginning is slow and hard to get into and I felt the ending was a bit rushed.

For creativity and suspense this book deserves 4.5 stars but the beginning and the rushed ending let's it down for me.
Katrine Hoyt
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

A really good read! The author pulls from a few different myths and legends for the basic character inspiration, but then I feel as if cities like Edinburough would be populated by many overlapping genres anyway.
Michelle VanDaley
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating read that keeps you on your toes. Hard to tell who is good and evil. With engaging, in depth characters as well as descriptive word building I highly recommend this supernatural tale. I look forward to more from this author
Mary
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool premise

Well rounded characters in this story. One girl has a friend who is not quite right. A supernatural detective/hit man with a sad backstory ala supernatural. Held my attention. Kind a pat ending. But good story overall
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vivid and imaginative storytelling

Painter's storytelling drew me into the novel, and the well crafted characters are never what you expect. I strongly recommend The Lost Girls and anything written by Sarah Painter.
Jeni
Went into this one blind as I don't even remember buying it, and was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's the first book I've been able to finish for months and it sucked me right in. I will be keeping an eye out for more books by this author in future.
Miss J. McNicholas
Excellent!

I loved this book! Couldn't put it down! The real every day life but with Gods and demons and magic running chaos all around, seemingly unoticed but for the gorgeous Mal!
Debbie Norris
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing supernatural story

Definitely worth a read another good book from Sarah Painter. Full of unexpected turns in the story which didn’t disappoint.
Megan
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read, and more a 3 1/2. I really liked the characters, and found it really refreshing that the ending wasn't what I was expecting. And that's a GOOD thing.
Corlia
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes sense

This book makes sense at the end. And you realize the truth of this fiction. Read it and you will enjoy and want more.
Giselle
Aug 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous.

I have read several books by her and found them interesting. This one is ridiculous and nonsensical. Don’t waste your time.

• The Book of Mayhem (The Last Oracle, #3)
  • The Book of Betrayal (The Last Oracle, #5)
  • The Book of Peril (The Last Oracle, #2)
  • The Book of Secrets (The Last Oracle, #1)
  • The Book of Lies (The Last Oracle, #4)
  • The Book of War (The Last Oracle, #8)
  • French Leave (King's Watch #4)
  • The Book of Havoc (The Last Oracle, #6)
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • The Book of Harmony (The Last Oracle, #7)
  • The Seventh Star (The King's Watch #7)
  • The 13th Witch (The King's Watch, #1)
  • Company of Strangers  (Company of Strangers, #1)
  • Ring of Troth (A King's Watch Story #3)
  • The Book of Destiny (The Last Oracle 9)
  • Wings over Water (A King's Watch Story #2)
  • Eight Kings (The King's Watch #6)
  • The Vinyl Detective - Flip Back: Vinyl Detective
Sarah Painter is the author of the bestselling magical novel, The Language of Spells, and its follow-up, The Secrets of Ghosts.

She has written 'book club' fiction with atmospheric settings and historical elements (In The Light of What We See and Beneath The Water), and a 'wonderfully dark and twisty' supernatural thriller, The Lost Girls.

Sarah's latest venture is an exciting new urban fantasy seri

News & Interviews