Start by marking “The Joyful Frugalista: Grow your cash, be savvy with your money and live abundantly” as Want to Read:

Who knew frugality could be so much fun?

Australians are amongst the wealthiest people on the planet, but for some reason we don't like to think or talk about money. Once upon time, thrift and frugality were celebrated as virtues- not anymore. When did frugal become such a dirty word? It's time to reclaim it!

When you respect and understand money, it almost magically trans
Published February 4th 2019 by Murdoch Books

To ask other readers questions about The Joyful Frugalista, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joyful Frugalista

Start your review of The Joyful Frugalista: Grow your cash, be savvy with your money and live abundantly
Jane Kriel
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sadly there wasn't anything new or exciting in the Joyful Frugalista. Let me save you $30 at Dymocks. The book suggests that you buy groceries at Aldi or Costco, purchase classic clothes second hand at Salvation Army and have dinner parties where you serve pumpkin soup (to be honest, I would be embarrassed to only serve soup for people who had come all the way out to my house).

As far as I can remember there were no suggestions on boosting income or saving money when you travel. No recipes (and
Kim
A basic guide for young people, mainly directed at young women.
Borrow it from the library to be savvy with your money and you should get your money's worth.
It's along the same lines as The Barefoot investor. Although, The Barefoot Investor is the better basic guide.
Tricia
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite liked it. I have a couple of investment properties so I do quite a bit of reading around financial matters. Even so, I did pick up a few tips in this book. For example, visiting an insurance broker was not something I thought of. I also liked the tips around joining groups to swap items. I hate waste so this was something else I liked. I think if you walk away from a book like this with one or two tips the author has done their job.

I think this would be a good book for someone just start
Ahc
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 - a few useful tips in there and practical tips / engagement with our society that is obsessed with consumerism.

I choose this book as an audiobook as i was sick in bed (i played it 2x speed).

The author writes to a comfortably middle class and above reader, this was a bit jarring / funny at times to me personally - i would have appreciated a more intersectional understanding of poverty and class in Australia.

Reading this book made me aware of and grateful to my mum's practical budgeting and
Ita
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not bad but also not good, a few useful ideas. I wouldn't call it struggling financially because you can't pay the mortgage on your 10 invest properties.
Jessica Gillies
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not so much into the law of attraction concepts touted in the book , and the online dating recommendations kind of confused me (although I totally agree with what she was saying about relationships ) - but otherwise this book is full of useful tips!
Melanie
Jul 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give this Canberra local some library-love, but there is absolutely nothing new in this book. Add in the clear place of privilege she started from (notwithstanding a horrible first marriage and resultant mortgage debt) and an over-abundant helping of mindfulness (money mantras anyone?) and this book really missed the mark for me.
Neens Bea
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, non-fiction
I enjoyed this well-written combination of a memoir and personal finance advice. Some sections are very specific to Australia, but they are easily skipped.
Nici Writes
This book is the most recent in a long list of self-improvement books that have not been at all what I was looking for. Like the ones that came before it, I didn’t bother finishing The Joyful Frugalista. It's as though books about saving money, or tidying up, or not giving a fuck are aimed at people that want to be the absolute best at saving money, or tidying up, or not giving a fuck. I should have known that this book was going in that direction from the tag line, ‘hundreds of secrets from a s ...more
Kat
Jul 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disgusting.... a very wealthy woman talks about how she has struggled financially. Very out of touch with reality.
Courtney Newey
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars for financial advice and many types from a fellow lady of Aus.
J
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Title - great (I have never heard of this term but love it and will now use it for myself)
Cover - brilliant
some hints for "consuming" this one:-

- borrow the book from your library as an audio book (well if you are a true frugalista you would do this anyway)
- listen on one of the sped up settings (better value for your time) - good advice from another review
- skip bits you know about, don't apply or are too long and boring
- think of this as a scavenging type exercise (frugalistas love these)

this
Charlene Dean
Jan 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book received only one star because it did not contain any new ideas for saving money. It is written by an Australian woman who is clearly conveying information to that audience. However, if you are new to the world of frugal living, there are some ideas that are usable in the United States. Many of the programs listed are Australian, but I'm sure something comparable can be found in other locations. The language is Aussie English, so the words are not entirely familiar to some of us, and I ...more
Romany
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: frugalism
This was not bad. I enjoyed the Australian content. I feel sad, however, that a true insight into the writer’s life and personality didn’t come until almost the very end of the book. How much better it would have been to have known where the author was coming from right from the beginning. The difference in this book comes from it being written by a woman who has been through divorce and difficulty, and has built her life back up (although not entirely from scratch, I suspect). There are some so ...more
Annabel
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Many of the tips are really handy and actually seem fun. A few are a little extreme (e.g. grating bars of soap to make washing powder), but the overall tone of the book was that being frugal isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you are still enjoying life and spending time with loved ones. I would have appreciated the author delving into her personal experiences earlier in the book rather than the last few chapters, as it brings context to why frugality is important to her. Solid first read ...more
Marilena
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Oof. Don't want to go into detail about this book, but I'll highlight some points:

- A lot of information was Australia specific
- Last 1/5(?) Of the book was about dating/romance and a lot of it was just detailing online options that are common knowledge or seem barely relevant to the topic.
- Very little content stretch across multiple pages made for a painful read.

- Bit of a side note, I happened to listen to this on Audiobook and the reading was so passive and monotone I was struggling to pay a
L.J. Savage
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a joy this book is!

Serine gives useful, lighthearted, and fun tips to help you move from a life of over-abundance into one of a frugalista. I've been living the frugalista lifestyle for a year now, and I've still found value in her advice - and am currently implementing the tips and tricks!

A must-read for all those who struggle to remember where their money has gone two days before payday and realise they haven't budgeted for the car insurance due this month.
Sheryl Campbell
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an easy to read and implement book with tips to tune up your finances. It is current and broadly applicable and easy to skip the odd section that doesn’t apply to you now. It is written like sage advice from a close friend with your best interests at heart. It is both philosophical and practical. The objective is to live a joyful life while actively controlling your own budget. I gifted a copy to my daughter for her 21st to help guide her.
Jennie Roberts
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! It’s the woman’s version of the barefoot investor. Though I think they actually complement each other in a way - barefoot is more about how to set up your accounts and bargaining with big companies, where joyful frugalista is more about the practical day to day money management-made fun!
Issy
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. As another reviewer said, it is like a Barefoot Investor for women. I loved how Serina's personality came through and I felt throughout the book she was like a helpful friend trying to share some tips with me. As a fellow Canberran, I liked the local recommendations. Even though I already live a fairly frugal lifestyle I really enjoyed the extra tips to save cash.
Aug 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. After reading the reviews prior to starting I wasn't sure what I would think but I felt the book flowed well and was not difficult to read unlike some other finance related books. I picked up a couple of new tips and liked the personal connection with the author.
Danna Kleisner
Mar 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I did not find this book helpful in any way. When someone recommends foraging for berries to save money and to buy the cheapest cuts of meat, which is not good for your health eating all that fat, well what can I say.
Irene Suarez
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Audiobook from the library. Interesting. Somewhere in between helpself book and biography. Very Australian oriented (east coast really... many of the suggestions are not available in Western Australia).
Ana Fantini Hoggett
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found some tips to be useful in this book, but I couldn't relate to the author. I found that though she might have some frugal methods and live simply, owning up to 10 investment property and wanting to be a billionaire in the future, didn't strike a chord with me.
Elda
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed having an Australian content, would have loved tips on travel.
Kate
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
A very easy to read book on brining savvy with cash. The book paid for itself as it encouraged me to find a better electricity deal
Jacinta
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Had some helpful tips, nothing too mind blowing.
Rachel
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Great tips! I read the book non-sequentially so sections I wanted first, it made it easier to consume the book. The writing style is not easy to read which is ashame because Serina's tips are great!
Karen
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it! Full of good tips and reminders for living well frugally. Lots of cost-cutting ideas to take into 2020 👍🏽😀
Noreen O
Jan 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
Didn’t bother finishing this book it’s just total
Crap

• Mindful Money
  • Smashed Avocado
  • A Real Girl's Guide to Money: From Converse to Louboutins
  • Fake: A Startling True Story of Love in a World of Liars, Cheats, Narcissists, Fantasists and Phonies
  • Less Stuff: Simple Zero-Waste Steps To A Joyful And Clutter-Free Life
  • The No Spend Year: How I spent less and lived more
  • A Zero Waste Life: In Thirty Days
  • The $1000 Project
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • Waste Not
  • Project 333: The Minimalist Fashion Challenge That Proves Less Really Is So Much More
  • How to Buy a Home: From Debt to a Deposit
  • The Art of Growing Up
  • Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark
  • Your Own Kind of Girl
  • The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle
  • The Weekend
  • The Resilience Project: Finding Happiness through Gratitude, Empathy and Mindfulness