Start by marking “Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)

Bright Steel

(Masters & Mages #3)

Every war comes down to the flash of bright steel, even when the air is full of magic . . .

Aranthur and his friends have come together across different continents and realms with one purpose: to strike back against the forces which have torn a hole in the heavens and threaten to rip the world beneath them apart as well.

With time running short, and treason at home, there
Published August 22nd 2019 by Gollancz

Start your review of Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
Edward
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviews
Here is the review of Bright Steel, folks. Please check it out on Grimdark Magazine and any other fantastic reviews of books you are interested in.

“Selfishness and tyranny do not make for stable allies.”
“Can I quote you on that?”

Bright Steel. Wow. Masters and Mages is now a finished trilogy, and Bright Steel ramps up every aspect that made Cold Iron and Dark Forge utterly brilliant. Fearsome battles with swords and sorcery, emotional punches, back-alley dealings and one of the best coming-of-age
Daniel Kelly
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Normally I had read only his historical fiction work but this series was amazing, it had everything and shows he is just as good at fantasy as he is in fiction. Looks like I will have to add all his fantasy works to my tbr pile unusually the kindle is more expensive than the paper but pricing has nothing to do with the author and the book deserves only praise. Bravo Mr Cameron, now get the head down and write us some more
Matthew Hunt
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Wow! Miles Cameron has done it again, another stunning series that had me on the edge of my seat and choked up with emotion through the final conclusion. He is a master!
Barry Mulvany
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good if somewhat rushed end to the series.

Again we start pretty much where we left off at the end of the last book. As usual I won't go into too many details this being the final book of the series. This book contained elements of both previous books. The first was Aranthur getting used to the city and the politics, the second was a military campaign. This contains both as the first part of the book is back in the city and dealing with the ambitions of certain factions there. The second part
Shreyas
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Actual Ratings:- 4.5 stars

A superb series by Miles Cameron. Plot, pace, world-building, magic system, and most especially the action sequences are all masterfully written.
Yuri
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just read the other reviews, it’s great and I’m longing for more.

This trilogy is good, read it. These books make for a great way to escape your head and inhabit another world. The cast of characters is awesome.

I’m buying every future book set in this world, let’s hope there’s more to come.
Kevin
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoy this author.
Now to finish his other series
David
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow unsatisfying

Felt like the last red Knight book, with an all knowing hero saving the world in very similar circumstances. Left me somehow unsatisfied. There were also a lot of very similar large magical fights, which dragged on after a while. The master/pure conclusion almost felt like an afterthought, which almost betrayed one of the hooks of the first book. This is an odd feeling as it's the first Cameron book I haven't flat out loved.
negurici
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Half the stars for half a book

Rushed and unsatisfying.

The 3rd and final installment of the Cold Iron saga feels more like the synopsis of the book than the actual book. It definitely needed more time in the oven
Paul Wandless
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great finish to the series! Like the first two books, its paced very well with action and intrigue. All the characters continue to grow individually and have interesting arcs that serve the story well. All the primary characters have really changed and grown, finding themselves with great responsibilities at this stage of the story. Some happily so and others (Aranthur) a little more reluctantly.
Aranthur has turned out to be a very memorable character who is always grappling with the
Mark Romero
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I had the flu when I decided to read this book. Against every instinct my body was telling me, I crushed this book in one night, about 8 hours of reading, 5am finish. The next day was not very pleasant but I got to find out how the series ended. Good stuff Mr. Cameron.
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good ending to the trilogy. This book blends the best parts of book 1 and book 2, and as such it was highly entertaining. It was thrilling to read this coming-of-age story, filled with grit, humour, action, magic, and camaraderie. Cameron's elegant writing carries the story in an enthusiastic manner, and this 'saving of the world from evil' tale is fastidious, and filled with all the interesting flaws that makes a fantasy story delightful in its own way. There are grim and dark moments ...more
Sam Davis
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night! What a great story. Bright Steel is the conclusion of Masters & Mages. I really enjoyed the main character Aranthur and well, all the characters, really. Dahlia is essentially someone who could leap out of an Alexander Dumas swashbuckling tale. Wow! I don’t think anyone can write military action like Miles Cameron (Christian Cameron). Additionally, I really enjoy the magical elements of the story. Reading back over this, I’m not doing this story any justice. ...more
Deniz Sezer
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-gen
It feels like the story was originally planned as 4-5 books but has been edited to be finished in 3 books. I cannot help but feel like a lot of things have been fast forwarded or just briefly told.

It was a very enjoyable story nonetheless.
Anton
I simply did not vibe with this book. It alternated between moving too fast and not moving at all: not letting the complex segments breathe while spending too much time retreading boring shit. I also felt like we lost connection with the protagonist for most of this one, like I ended up in an adversarial relationship with the guy whose perspective I'm stuck in. Perhaps I only felt that way because I hated his stupid boring demon wife.

However, the climactic sequence was absolutely stupendous and
B
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bright Steel concludes the stellar, atply-named trilogy "Master & Mages" by Miles Cameron.

Briskly told, the adventures of Aranthor, Dahlia and Inonques (hopefully I spelled her name correctly) delves a bit deeper into the 'Mage' and 'Master' aspect of the trilogy.

In it, Aranthor comes to assess the 'cost' of war, the effect his choices have on others- and, frankly, the incredulous state that he finds himself (given how he started, if you will, as a 'farmer' in book 1). It's good, it's brisk
John
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Terrific closer with, as in the first two volumes, enough plot in itself for an entire trilogy. The only reservations I have are, 1) the author continues to punish his characters really severely, but without killing any of them off permanently, which is nice but gets silly after the fifth or sixth fatal encounter, and 2) the way the hole in the heavens is finally sewn shut doesn't make a lot of sense--even if, as I think we're supposed to assume, the entire world here is about the size of ...more
Wombat
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wow. This was the first time in a LONG time that i pulled an all nighter to finish a book!

I'm still a little sour over the whole "world ending threat" that came up in this series... although i'm partially satisfied by how he resolved the situation - seriously, this ending was a good one for this book - much better than most "epic fantasy" delivers.

I really loved our PoV Aranthur, especially that he was a truly good-hearted character who strived to be better (even though circumstances were
Carewolf
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: disappointing
Better than the second book in the series. In this book things actually happens, and the story progresses. It even tries to go back and touch on some dropped plot points from the first book, but nothing done satisfactory.

The book is just making the main character and his possy more and more Mary Sue & Co, and most tension is lost as our main characters are just the best at everything for reason.
Kritter Sloan
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous!
Connor
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At first I was a little hesitant when I picked up Cold Iron, something about a coming of age story about a student didn't draw me in like the appeal of Cameron's other work.
Never the less I took the plunge and was delighted to find I loved it, to the point where I couldn't put it down.
And here we are, two books later with Bright Steel, at the end of the trilogy that has me wishing for more.

Cameron consistently proves he is a master at drawing you into his world with its dynamic power struggles
Julian Evans
Good read

Enjoyed the book but it was difficult to remember where exactly the previous book picked up without any reintroduction into the minor characters and various factions.

I found the plot to be interesting and the action very well written, but again without being and to recall some of the previous characters and plotlines it was slight confusing.
Carl Phillips
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for this for months and ended up reading it in a day and a half and loved every second of it.

I was a bit wary going in as the end of the last book was getting "taking, magic sword" for me, but that was dealt with very well in the end.

In short, this is a superb book. Nothing else needs to be said.
Harry L
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect ending of a great book

What a great book to end on it both beautifully raps up the story but as is fitting doesn't make it perfect or unreal. I do hope there will be more books set in this world.
Jamie Carracher
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly, this is a lackluster ending to an astounding series. It's still well above par for the current fantasy landscape (in my largely irrelevant opinion) but given how intricate and... inventive the first two were, this is a somewhat low ending for me.
Peter Anderson
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent ending to an outstanding series.
Otger Meuwissen
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
excellent but the storyline was a bit straightforward
Richard
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put it down
Martin Green
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, ibook
Christian (Miles) Cameron never, ever disappoints. This wraps up the trilogy started in Cold Iron, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. As ever.
H. P.
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-sf
Miles Cameron has now written two of my favorite fantasy series published this millennium. Bright Steel is the final book in Cameron’s Masters & Mages trilogy (I previously reviewed Cold Iron and Dark Forge). It absolutely stands with The Traitor Son Cycle.

The two series are excellent but very different. The Traitor Son Cycle draws heavily from Arthurian myth. Masters & Mages is Cameron’s take on the Chosen One trope. Masters & Mages is more accessible at the beginning, although,

• Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • The Shadow King (The Raveling, #3)
  • City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery, #2)
  • Dark Forge
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The New Achilles
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • Secrets and Spellcraft (Art of the Adept, #2)
  • A Pilgrimage of Swords
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
Miles Cameron is an author, a re-enactor, an outdoors expert and a weapons specialist. He lives, works and writes in Toronto, where he lives with his family. This is his debut fantasy novel.

Masters & Mages (3 books)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)