Start by marking “Clap When You Land” as Want to Read:

Clap When You Land

Camino Rios lives for the summers when her father visits her in the Dominican Republic. But this time, on the day when his plane is supposed to land, Camino arrives at the airport to see crowds of crying people...

In New York City, Yahaira Rios is called to the principal's office, where her mother is waiting to tell her that her father, her hero, has died in a plane crash.

Expected publication: May 5th 2020 by Hot Key Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 05, 2020
    In a novel-in-verse that brims with grief and love, National Book Award-winning and New York Times-bestselling author Elizabeth Acevedo writes about ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 4782 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 28 - Feb 25, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Clap When You Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clap When You Land

Start your review of Clap When You Land
    Warda
    Oct 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I don’t need to read the blurb to know that I will be reading this book.
    No diggety, no doubt.
    Mariah
    Oct 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
    So this cover pops up in my feed and I'm like: "Wow".
    And then I read the synopsys and my mind is like:
    "Damn, this would probably be great on audiobook format, but maybe I'm just picturing this as an Elizabeth Acevedo type of thing."
    And then I looked up to actually see who wrote this.
    I swear to god you can *smell* this woman's talent.
    leynes
    Feb 05, 2020 marked it as 2020
    Shelves: black-writers
    I just preordered this. I never preorder books. Elizabeth Acevedo is just that good. Duh.
    Circe
    Nov 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I'm so in love with this author. The fact she is Dominican only increases my love for her (I'm Dominican too).

I can only say the way she writes all these verses in her books are so painful but at the same time so enchanting because she knows and describes how Dominican culture is and how the young Dominican generation suffers.

So... I just gonna say to Elizabeth: Dale pa' allá vieja y gracias por decir tantas cosas que nos callamos.
    desmond ❄️
    Twitter
    2020 MOST ANTICIPATED BOOKS
    description

I was hesitant at first to read The Poet X due to it being in prose, and I felt like I would not enjoy reading that since I don't really like poetry. But I read the first couple of pages while in Barnes and Noble, and was completely blown away. So I absolutely cannot wait to read another book from this author, especially one in prose. This is definitely one of my top books to read in 2020!!!

Andrea Tome
    Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A brilliant novel and a raw and honest depiction of Dominican identity, sisterhood and family. Elizabeth Acevedo never disappoints ...more
    Vanessa
    Wait. This is another verse novel from our Queen Acevedo??? Sign me up.
    Courtney
    Oct 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I will read literally anything Elizabeth Acevedo writes. She’s such a goddamn treasure.
    Kim
    I truly don’t know how she does it.
    The Poet X was masterful.
    Clap When You Land, I think, goes even further.
    It’s a story of tragedy that unlocks secrets.
    It’s a story of two sisters who were not aware of the other’s existence.

Papi had two lives.
    Papi has two daughters.

Papi was a man split in two,
    playing a game against himself.

But the problem with that
    is that in order to win, you also always lose.

It’s a love letter to the Dominican Republic and to New York’s Dominican communities.
    It’s a study of
    Kimberly Rein
    Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    WOW!!! Elizabeth Acevedo has done it again!!! She is an amazing author with two other great books, but this one is even better than the last, if that's possible.

One man, two daughters who don't know about each other, and many secrets.

A plane crash unearth's this man's secrets and why he lives in NY from Oct.-May, and the DR from June-Sept.

Pick it up to see what happens with these two young ladies who are dealing with so much already.

Told in verse, another home run for Acevedo!
    h i n d
    This cover is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING
    you thought, you thought you encountered the most gorgeous cover you'll ever see with With The Fire On High
    but thenn this one shows up
    God bless
    Tanya Tate
    Feb 14, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    I FINALLY GOT THE DIGITAL ARC OF THIS THANKS TO EDELWEISS!
    YES YES YES!
    Marilla
    Dec 19, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    i will read anything Elizabeth Acevedo writes

by which i mean i will listen to the audiobook because her voice put to her words is beautiful
    Leah Clark
    Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I stayed up late to finish this one. It gave me those same chest-exploding, tearful, yet unbelievably satisfied feelings that I had the first time I ever read The Poet X. This story is going to be healing for so many people.

The dual narratives of Camino and Yohaira unpack the theme of family secrets in a way that is direct, but also not beating the reader over the head with the message. Realizing that your parents are imperfect, maybe even worse than just imperfect, is hard and isn't often
    Dee
    Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Every now and then you read a book that you know will stick with you for a long time-- this is certainly that book. Two sisters, Camino and Yahaira Rios are separated by distance and the lack of knowledge of each others' existence. Their father maintained two separate lives-- one in the Dominican Republic with Camino and the other in New York with Yahaira. Everything changes the day Mr. Rios' airplane crashes on his way to the D.R. and his family is left to pick up the pieces. As they learn more ...more
    Ashleigh Rose
    Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    You'd better believe I finagled my way to ALA to snag an ARC of this.

Liz is BACK, speaking big truths in short verses. When their Papi dies in a tragic accident, Camino and Yahaira's lives begin to unravel in ways they could never have imagined, considering they never even knew the other existed. Around the black hole left by an imperfect man, powerful women orbit one another learning where their paths have diverged and crossed, and where they may need to work to find just a little more space
    Samantha Fondriest
    This is my favorite novel Elizabeth Acevedo has written yet! This one will be buzzing in my brain for a long time. Full review to come closer to publication.

Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for an advanced copy of this novel. All opinions are, as always, my own.
    Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Acevedo does it again. She gets to the core of what it is to grieve, to uncover secrets, to love and connect, to live in fear and shame. And I was just ripped apart by her descriptions of the ways in which men violated the main characters with looks, words, and actions. A must read.
    VL
    Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book is utterly beautiful. I can't wait to listen to the audio when it comes out.
    Gabrielle
    Feb 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: contemporary-tbr
    I didn't even know this book was happening until today but MUST READ
    Mibsen
    Dec 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
    DUDE YES FUCKING PLEASE
    Fifi
    Feb 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
    I WANT IT NOW ...more
    Alexia | Right Writing Words
    I've been wanting to read another book written in verse for sooooooooo long ...more
    Chantal Aurora
    Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: latinx, releases-2020
    I have loved everything by elizabeth acevedo! I cannot wait for this!
    s o p h i a
    Jan 30, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    i just entered a giveaway of this book and after reading that synopsis, man do i want to win
    Annabelle Ulaka
    Jan 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
    My heart would definitely clap when this book lands.
    VReads
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I wasn't a fan of With The Fire On High but this sounds like a good read. Will check out :)
    Lilly (Lair Of Books)
    ***ARC received in exchange for an honest review***

PINCH ME I MUST BE DREAMING!!! MY FAVE YA AUTHOR <3!!!
    Heather H.
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: digital-arc, 2020
    Don’t mind me - I’ll just be over here sobbing over the perfection that is Elizabeth Acevedo’s latest.

• Slay
    • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
    • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
    • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
    • Upright Women Wanted
    • The Boys' Club
    • We Dream of Space
    • The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
    • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
    • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
    • The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)
    • Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2)
    • Ask Me His Name: Learning to live and laugh again after the loss of my baby
    • Bathe: The Art of Finding Rest, Relaxation and Rejuvenation in a Busy World
    • Perfect Little World
    • The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
    • Such a Fun Age
    • Dancing at the Pity Party
    ELIZABETH ACEVEDO is the youngest child and only daughter of Dominican immigrants. She holds a BA in Performing Arts from the George Washington University and an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Maryland. With over fourteen years of performance poetry experience, Acevedo is a National Poetry Slam Champion, Cave Canem Fellow, CantoMundo Fellow, and participant of the Callaloo Writer's ...more