Start by marking “The Good Priest” as Want to Read:
The Good Priest

The Good Priest

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  50 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Father John is the parish priest of Our Lady of Sorrows in Westonville, but when the ordered tranquillity of his life is shattered by a stranger walking into the confessional on Ash Wednesday, he finds himself on a Lenten journey of increasing dread and horror. And when he is confronted with memories of his historic abuse, John discovers that what he thought to be forgiven ...more
Published February 5th 2019 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about The Good Priest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Priest

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Good Priest
Jude Hayland
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel- it’s different from so much that I’ve read lately and for me became entirely compelling and fascinating- realistic characters and setting and intriguing plot twists
Hannelore Cheney
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Matador for the eARC.
This is a difficult book for me to review; on the one hand I liked Father John, the parish priest, a lot; he's trying to be the best priest and man he can be. On the other hand I found myself bored with the religious passages as I 'm not a religious person.
I felt great empathy for Father, who is wrestling with his feelings for men while trying to serve God and his congregation as best he can. He knew he was gay from an early age, but his love for God
Chris Fuse
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The struggle for honesty

Fr. John is no plaster saint. He lives with the ghosts of a dysfunctional past. The village is tortured by a serial killer and the author chews for us on the theology of evil. Everyday reality is tainted with this. It is Fr John's struggle for the sacrifice of honesty that brings a glimmer of light into this darkness.
Breakaway Reviewers
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A compelling murder mystery combined with the moral dilemmas facing a parish priest.

This is one of the most enthralling books that I have read this year. Not only is it a murder mystery but at its heart is the story of Father John Patterson, a Roman Catholic priest in the parish of Watsonville, loved by his parishioners but struggling with his past and fighting so many demons.

The plot revolves around the killing of young girls, most of whom are prostitutes but it is the way that they are being
Póló
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have cousins who are good priests. When the abuse scandal broke, and even I looked a bit askance at any roman collar I passed in the street, I wrote to my cousins and told them they were the good guys. I did so because I could feel their isolation in the wave of disgust and anger that was sweeping across the whole of Ireland at the time.

So when I came across Tina Beattie's book, The Good Priest, I was burning with curiosity to get hold of a copy. How I did is a professional secret and I'm
MargCal
Finished reading ... The Good Priest / Tina Beattie ... 12 February 2019
ISBN: 9781789019605 … 363 pp.

Theologian Tina Beattie has written a whodunit / psychological thriller grounded in the moral maze of many life issues, both big and small. There is also a real gentleness to the book which definitely but not explicitly shows how much the Catholic Church has lost through poor leadership (at its kindest description) for most of my life at least.

The story is a screen swiper - I read in Kindle
Charlotte Pawson
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
Father John is the local Catholic priest in Westonville he is beloved by his parishioners. He is visited by a dark soul from his past in confessional. When the murders start Father John will find he cannot escape the past. He will need all his faith and love of family and parishioners to lead him through dark times. Will he be able to keep how sacred the confessional is with both police, press and public turning against him. This is a rollercoaster ride of a story which keeps you hooked till the ...more
Louise
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Adrienne
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel cost me most of a night’s sleep, but it was worth it! It is the kind that I put in the double-read category: first, a fast read because my curiosity about the whodunnit aspect keeps intensifying, then slowly to appreciate the writing, the imagery, the philosophical/theological conundrums, especially as an extended meditation on what it means to be good. Beattie’s good priest is rather exactly the opposite of the Cathars’ good man. This good priest is no amiable Father Brown but a ...more
Dawna Richardson
Jun 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
To be honest I didn’t finish this book. At about 70% in I just couldn’t take it any more.
I found the story laboured and repetitive.
The reporting of the crimes and the character assassination of all priests in the news was liable worthy.
Much of the Catholic component was wrong.
Perhaps some people got through all of this but in my opinion there are lots of other books out there that are much more worthy of my time than this one was.
Morgan Schulman
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

I was very intrigued by the ideas in this book, but the narrative, writing and characters just did not suck me in. I will look out for the authors next one because it seems like there’s some heavy stuff kicking around in that brain – but this one’s execution just left me all meh.
gemma stockford
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gripping.

To combine thriller/mystery with a inside view of one priest's thoughts and emotions is good enough. But this really hung together as an exploration of mystery conscience and motivation. I'm so regretting having got to the end- please write another!
Rebecca Davies
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

This novel by theologian Tina Beattie takes a little while to wind up, but once it does, it’s a page turner. As a Catholic I guess I found the subject matter easy to relate to- not sure how others would find it.
Jean Lupinacci
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read!

I loved this book. I stayed up too late more than one night because I was compelled to keep reading. As I reflect more on it I find some very powerful themes emerging: love, compassion, evil, abuse...
Susan Smoker
Apr 05, 2019
Michael Carnevale
rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2019
Thatkliqkid
Teri

• The Snow Girls: The gripping thriller that will give you chills this winter
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Boy in the Well (DI Westphall #2)
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Die ewigen Toten (David Hunter #6)
  • Before She Was Found
  • The Carer
  • The Beekeeper of Aleppo
  • You Were Made for This
  • Bone China
  • The Greenway (Mike Croft, #1)
  • The Flood
  • The Burning House
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • Aflausn (Children's House, #3)
  • The Possession (The Anomaly Files #2)
  • Silvervägen