Start by marking “An Excuse For Murder” as Want to Read:
An Excuse For Murder

An Excuse For Murder

As a former bodyguard, it should be easy for Gary Fenris to kill, especially when the motive is revenge. But Gary has made two mistakes in his life. The first was letting the woman he loved die on his watch. The second was thinking vengeance could bring him peace.

Local bookstore owner and amateur lock pick Kate Rowan loves nothing more than a good mystery. Her curiosity s
Published March 20th 2019 by The Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about An Excuse For Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Excuse For Murder

Start your review of An Excuse For Murder
Kristina (Books-and-dachshunds)
**Disclamer: I did received a copy of this book from the author for review purpose. This had in no way, shape or form affected my opinion on it.**

Full review on my blog

Although it started confusing, I quite liked having the dual-POV between Gary and Kate – so we could have the Murderer’s mind, aswell as a regular someone who just happends to be “in the way”. While being a voracious reader herself, she’s a fierce one and absolutely refuse to let some knight in shining armor do the work for her.

Wa
Jessica
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the author for the free ebook copy in exchange for my honest review

3.5/5 stars - rounded up for rating

AN EXCUSE FOR MURDER brings together mystery, murder, revenge, and a little bit of romance as Gary and Kate cross paths while they try to solve a murder. I’ve always been a fan of books with bookstores or libraries – I think most bookworms do – and Kate is a local bookstore owner that considers herself an amateur detective of sorts. Gary is an ex-bodyguard that blames himself for the d
Yvonne
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bookstore owner Kate Rowan loves a good mystery, but stumbling upon a dead body in her Great Aunt Roselyn’s home was more than she bargained for. Regardless of the police’s findings, she’s sure there is a story behind this death and she intends to uncover it.

Meanwhile, Gary Fenris is dealing with his own problems. He used to be a bodyguard, but the woman he was guarding, who also happened to be the love of his life, was murdered while he was on duty. Gary has a one-track mind now and that’s to g
Nebula Castelino
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vro
"An Excuse For Murder" by Vanessa Westermann is a refreshing mix of romantic suspense and mystery. Set in Caulden, England, this book is mainly based on the point of views of the protagonists, Gary Fenris and Kate Rowan. Gary is far from being a saint but a highly complex character battling his inner demons. His character development really complements the overall plot of the book. Kate Rowan is a prayer answered for she is driven, self-assured and independent character which is refreshing for a ...more
Emma Canning (Emma's Chapter)
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Sometimes you have to dig up the truth, no matter how deep it's buried.

Local bookstore owner Kate Rowan loves a good mystery, but her curiosity leads her closer to one than she ever imagined. Death, blackmail, obsession and revenge is the path former bodyguard Gary Fenris is on. He's made mistakes in his life, but could his next cost Kate her life?

An Excuse For Murder is a great slow-burner. Even though part of you feels as though you already know what's going to happen, there's the
Vicky
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting story. I can’t say I liked it, but… I couldn’t stop reading. Thus the “interesting”. Items that distracted me: It’s very British, including terminology, but the author uses those terms in such as way as to make it understandable even for a Yank.  However, the sudden shifts in point of view were problematic for me. I really don’t like it when an author does that and this one did so—not often, but enough for it to be a challenge for me to keep reading. I will note that I’m ...more
Bridget
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
My three-word description of An Excuse For Murder by Canadian writer Vanessa Westermann is captivating, intriguing and intense.

Book Synopsis:

Local bookstore owner and amateur lock pick Kate Rowan loves nothing more t
Ellie Mitchell
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Excuse For Murder is a mysterious Thriller set in Caulden, England. Two years after Gary lost the love of his life, he decides to take revenge on her killer, later meeting introverted bookshop owner, Kate.

~Story~

The story revolves around themes of vengeance, loss and regret- of things characters wished they’d done to avoid future suffering. There is love in the air, a mysterious murder, and hitmen turning up with their own personal vendettas.

One thing I think could have been touched on more w
Odette Swan
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**I was contacted by the author, who provided me with the ARC, in exchange for an honest review**

An Excuse For Murder by Vanessa Westermann will leave you on the edge of your seat until the very end. It has murder, crime, mystery, and even a little romance thrown in.

“As a former bodyguard, it should be easy for Gary Fenris to kill, especially when the motive is revenge. But Gary has made two mistakes in his life. The first was letting the woman he loved die on his watch. The second was thinking
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, books-to-review
Never count a woman out when it comes to defending herself!

There are several aspects of this story that I truly enjoyed - the fact that Kate was no shrinking violet in need of saving; Gary is not really a hero but he is trying; Tim and Will nearly steal the show as junior sleuths; the mystery of Mr. Wendell who is not quite who you think even when you think you have him figured out!

This story bounces back and forth between Kate and Gary's POV.  Gary is filled with guilt over letting his last cli
Phoebe Leech
Jun 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5⭐

Gary is taunted by the past and clearly has effected how he thinks, his mind is no longer thoughts of possibility of a far away future but just for the next day. Gary is a character who cares no longer of what happens to him as the worse has already happened.

So what harm would murder do to him?

Kate is a strong character with a thirst for mystery. I enjoyed Kate's attitude and gave me a bit of young Miss Marple vibes as she refused to back away from possible danger.

I also liked how each cha
Pages Places & Plates
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed An Excuse For Murder - it's a clever crime/mystery novel which is advanced heavily with character development, which really works. Gary is a curious main character who we learn more about as the book progresses, and the relationship between him and Kate is gripping. The plot itself is intriguing, with some great subplot threads that really add to the story, and there's a couple of twists to keep you guessing. Couldn't put it down!

You can read my full review here:
Feed The Crime
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up to 5 stars.

I really enjoyed this! There was a very magical feel to this book as it was set in a bookstore, which let’s be honest is one of the most magical places you can be! Add that to the fact that Kate is living with her great-aunt (who the locals refer to as ‘The Eternal Wife’) in the victorian house with it’s fairy-tale tower and you have a very atmospheric novel.

Death in the morning, affairs of the heart in the afternoon.

You can read the rest of my review here: https://feed
Karen
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story eases you into the drama and mystery surrounding Kate, a book store owner and her life. I liked the way you are kept guessing regarding the events that occur throughout the story. I also like the heartbroken good/bad guy that tries to save the day. The other characters in the story have been written in such a way that you’re left wanting to know more about them. I enjoyed this book and look forward to seeing what may happen next.
Pauline
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and look forward to more in the series. Strong female lead character surrounded by the usual stereotype characters. However the book had so many side stories along with the main plot that it was really entertaining and amusing. Especially the mystery of sleepy! Did find it hard to get into the story at first but by page 50 I couldn’t put it down
Received a free copy of this book from Voracious Readers Only.
Melissa
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Emily Brys
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got so into this murder mystery! I finished it a few months ago and am finding myself very impatient for the next Kate Rowan story. The vivid characters and settings have stayed with me since. An exciting and unexpected plot!
Liz
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Complimentary copy of this book was received through Voracious Readers Only

Well written murder mystery. The beginning had me guessing and wondering who the bad guy was but as the two main characters were developed, it was not what I thought.
Pat Dupuy
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unfortunate death

Family and friends. Secrets and guilt. Passion and coldbloodedness. All revolving around a bookseller who finds a body in her cellar at home. I loved this introduction to Kate Rowan and her community. I absolutely want to read the next book in this series.
Murder in Common
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful book with good characters and interesting take on the murder mystery theme.
Hema Vadivelu
is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2019
Rachel Bridgeman
Sep 29, 2019

• Lily's Homecoming Under Fire (Calla Lily Mystery  #1)
  • Meet Me at Pebble Beach
  • What Are Friends For?
  • Pretending
  • Just Friends
  • A Seagull Summer
  • Up Close and Personal
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Adult Virgins Anonymous
  • Autumn Skies Over Ruby Falls
  • Hello, Again
  • Tabloid (Dirty Laundry #1)
  • The Neighbours
  • What a Wolf Desires (Lux Catena, #1)
  • The MacInnes Affair
  • Wedding Bells at Butterfly Cove (Butterfly Cove #2)
  • Jessicaca
  • Magic
Vanessa Westermann is a Canadian mystery writer. As an avid reader of the genre, she has also been an Arthur Ellis Awards judge, and given a talk on the evolution of women’s crime writing, at the Toronto Chapter of Sisters in Crime. Her blog, "Vanessa's Picks", features literary reviews and author interviews.

Vanessa holds an M.A. in English Literature and has taught creative writing.

She is curren

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...
“So you’re a recreational locksmith who knows how to throw a punch and enjoys a stroll through the fog.'
'And sells books,' Kate added”
0 likes