Start by marking “Becoming Nigerian: A Guide” as Want to Read:
Becoming Nigerian: A Guide

Becoming Nigerian: A Guide

In Be(com)ing Nigerian: A Guide, Elnathan John provides an affecting, unrestrained and satirical guide to the Nigerians you will meet at home and abroad, or on your way to hell and to heaven. It is a searing look at how power is performed, negotiated and abused in private and in public; in politics, business, religious institutions and in homes. From the exploration of ...more
Published July 11th 2019 by Cassava Republic Press

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Nigerian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Nigerian

Start your review of Becoming Nigerian: A Guide
Brown Girl Reading
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent read!!! I highly recommend for those who like reading satirical books. This one will have you laughing and shaking your head. Elnathon John does a brilliant job of breaking down what's it like to be Nigerian and to live in Nigeria. I also loved how he ends the chapters with May God bless your hustle. The book is only 145 pages and contains a phrase and expression glossary in the back.I'm not Nigerian but I did enjoy Becoming Nigerian and learned a lot about the culture and ...more
Oluwafemi Ojosu
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have no adjectives to describe the genius that is this book. It is a book every 'well meaning' Nigerian should read and as they do so, the Nigerian God will bless their hustle.
Ifeoma
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No book has ever made me laugh this much. I enjoyed every single sentence; inasmuch as it is satire, it correctly describes how it is living and hustling in Nigeria depending on the category of profession you fall into and helps us as Nigerians reflect to improve our terrible behaviour. I highly recommend this book.
Nina Chachu
Reminded me in some ways of Peter Enahoro's classic, How to be a Nigerian, which was published in the early 1980s! That shows how long I have been in this part of the world.

I suspect some of what Elnathan John writes might apply to other countries?
Azeeza
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Really hilarious!
I laughed so much reading this. And I reflected too, because the reality of Nigeria pinched me hard.
Elnathan is really a good satirist, he's a good table shaker until he starts shaking the table you lie comfortably on.
Rasheedat
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Found this book quite underwhelming. Read B.O.A.T years ago, and I had really high hopes for this book.
Etenwa Manuel
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nigerians are a weird funny bunch. This book shows just that. A satire that highlights the life of Nigerians, what would otherwise be so out of place for an outsider but totally sensible for Nigerians.

It is incredibly funny and amongst other things provokes deep reflections.
Chuma
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a hilarious book.
It truly captures the essence of Nigerianism.
Tolu Jawando
Tolu 'Pitan
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Becoming Nigerian - A Guide by Elnathan John

From the Author of “Born on a Tuesday comes this Satire at its finest

I laughed and laughed at the succinct description of many things Nigerian

If you don’t understand sarcasm this book is not for you. In the words of the Author; “Never, ever explain Satire”

It correctly points out many Nigerian behaviors especially the ridiculous ones

Really and truly the book is a guide on Unbecoming Nigerian!

I recommend for everyone

#becomingNigerian
Jubril Edu
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is fun to read as it captures the ills of Nigerian society in a satirical manner. Most people involved got the stick, from political leaders to religious leaders to the roadside mechanics. Short and a great read.
Winnie Gichuru
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed but there are sections I found it a bit underwhelming. but still managed to laugh. The book is not only a depiction of Nigeria but i could see Kenya as well. When you reflect on the reality of it is sad what "we" accept. Elnathan managed makes you laugh, sad, feel stupid etc.
Rhoda (Lala)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elnathan John holds a mirror to the Nigerian society with the most hilarious take on politics, religion etc. Amid the laughter, Becoming Nigerian made me reflect on what has become norms in our society.
RK
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I laughed and laughed and laughed
Rudolf Uji
Sep 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Want to find out how to unwind? Grab an El Nathan and your day is made..
Barisi Kane
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud funny satire about the Nigerian 'condition'
Paul Enebeli
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how Elnathan John is clearly the best satirist we have and how this books pints to everything that is wrong with Nigeria. A guide
Opeyemi
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book calls out the hypocrisy in Nigerians. It was a very enjoyable read.
Vicky Cupersmith
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Since it’s a satirical book, it takes that kind of mind to read it and enjoy it. What I can say is I understood a little bit more about living in Nigeria.
Grace Omweri
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had a good laugh. A lot of similarity with Kenya in there.
Essien Allan
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
El-Nathan has raised the bar for satires
Omolola
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, witty and oh so apt.
Davidson Ajaegbu
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was absolutely hilarious.

As a Nigerian who sees these things almost everyday, it was funny and sad at the same time and it only displays how dysfunctional the Nigerian state is.
Oluwafemi
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I laughed throughout this book. Never explain satire. ...more
Temi Aina
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you don’t understand sarcasm or satire, please don’t read this book.
Seriously, every single thing written about it is true about Nigeria. I understand quite a number of people want to be positive and remain positive about Nigeria but sometimes, we need the realists like Elnathan John who will confront us about being a Nigerian.
Written in a satirical manner, this book details how Nigerians are from the politicians, to the religious leaders, the elite, the middle-class (both lower and upper)
Chijioke
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The cover art was brilliant “Being Nigerian/Becoming a Nigerian: A guide”. As a Nigerian I could very well relate; I felt attacked/subbed in some cases. Elnathan shows how “the hustle” cuts across all sphere of society and how it has eroded our values/conscience/humanity.

Underneath all the humour, Elnathan causes you to reflect on society and your role & motivation in society. He also puts in perspective the growth process Nigeria requires.

I really enjoyed this book.
Oreoluwa Ogunsina
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is totally one of the best I will read this year. Elnathan wrote so well that I laughed so much and was able to think deep too at the issues he raised up in his book.
This book is truly hilarious, insightful and refreshing and it's for the open minded only.
Abdul Wando
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Masterfully and hilariously delivers insights into several facets of Nigerian life society. Yes I am coming with my big big English.
Eephie
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Light easy satirical read that touched on most facets of Nigerian society.

• Easy Motion Tourist
  • An Orchestra of Minorities
  • When Trouble Sleeps (An Amaka Thriller Book 2)
  • How to Be a Nigerian
  • Welcome to Lagos
  • The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives
  • Tomorrow Died Yesterday
  • Known and Strange Things: Essays
  • Stars Between the Sun and Moon: One Woman's Life in North Korea and Escape to Freedom
  • Daughters Who Walk This Path
  • 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World
  • 29, Single & Nigerian
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Lagos Noir
  • Of Women and Frogs
  • Soldiers of Fortune: A History of Nigeria (1983-1993)
  • Let's Tell This Story Properly
Elnathan is a writer and lawyer living in spaces between in Nigeria and Germany. Mostly.

His works have appeared in Hazlitt, Per Contra, Le Monde Diplomatique, FT and the Caine Prize for African Writing anthology 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. He writes weekly political satire for the Nigerian newspaper Daily Trust on Sunday (and any other publication that PAYS him). Except you are The New Yorker, he
“The Nigerian God loves elections and politics. When you have bribed people to get party nominations, used thugs to steal and stuff ballot boxes, intimated people into either sitting at home or voting for you, eventually, (through God’s grace), win the elections, you must begin by declaring that your success is the will of the almighty and living God and that the other candidate should accept this as the will of God” 0 likes